Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Old 04-02-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: The New Gods (D: Ava DuVernay)

Originally Posted by Runaway
Suicide Squad and Justice League were bad movies and that showed at the box office.
Suicide Squad made about $100 million more than Justice League on a much smaller budget. It was a bad movie, but it made a lot of money, and I suspect it did very well on merchandising due to Harley.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (04-02-21)
Old 04-02-21, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I’ve mentioned this before. WB execs have a history of looking down at comic books. One of the main reasons most of the DC films have failed is because they want to use the comic book property to make money but they hate the source material. I’ve known of so many comic book writers who have been asked to submit pitches for comic book films and all of them were told if they could take out the super powers part, or the costumes, or the supernatural part, because in the execs opinion “it’s childish”, “it’s silly”, or “it’s not believable”. That’s why they add stupid romantic plots (Green Lantern), unnecessary shit ( Jonah Hex) or tell the directors/showrunners to not use superpowers (Nolan films/ first season of Arrow). Hell, WB didn’t want to do comic book movies after GL cause they said that it was a fad and the fans were tired of them. Then after Avengers became a hit, WB green lit all the projects but Josh said, wanted the work done in 3 movies instead of how Marvel had done it. WB & AT&T still looks down on comic books and worse of all, they have the bean counters running the show instead of the creators. The reason why these 2 projects have been shelved is basically because some idiot ran the numbers and believes that these properties aren’t known well enough that they will be certain box office successes. The mention that the New Gods project wouldn’t be able to be done as a standalone release shows that these pricks don’t care about the source and just care about how they can make money of one shots
That’s not even a new phenomenon. Look back to Kevin Smith’s go around with a WB exec and Superman.
Old 04-02-21, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,210 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Suicide Squad made about $100 million more than Justice League on a much smaller budget. It was a bad movie, but it made a lot of money, and I suspect it did very well on merchandising due to Harley.
And the soundtrack also sold a lot.