Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sorry to Bother You (2018, D: Riley) S: Stanfield, Thompson, Hammer, Yeun

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sorry to Bother You (2018, D: Riley) S: Stanfield, Thompson, Hammer, Yeun

Old 10-09-18, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: Sorry to Bother You (2018, D: Riley) S: Stanfield, Thompson, Hammer, Yeun

This is out via Digital HD! Great film and one of the best of 2018.
Old 10-24-18, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts

Picked this up today without knowing too much about it. Had no idea it would into the surrealistic side! Really glad I didn't know what to expect because I was pretty much blown away through the second half! Definitely a WTF! movie!
Old 10-24-18, 01:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I was hoping this would get a UHD release, but it looks like that's not happening. I need to pick up the BD. This was one of the best movies of the year for me.
Old 11-12-18, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Watched this tonight and liked it, especially the first half.

3.5/5
Old 11-21-18, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Somewhat surprisingly, this is now on Hulu.
Old 02-24-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
So, about this movie...

I loved that Riley took chances and was so visually creative in the first half. Cash's desk falling into people's homes during his calls was pretty awesome, except his call to the elderly widow which was rather heartbreaking. I was a phone jockey for over ten years and really appreciated that a filmmaker took a deep-ish dive (albeit an OTT one) into that industry.

I have to say that I admired this film more than I liked it, though. I loved the creativity of the first half but was less taken by the movie once
Spoiler:
Cash became a Power Caller. I don't mind dipping a toe into surrealist waters every now and then, but when they got to the horse-human hybrids, I had to tap out because it just flat-out didn't work for me.
I also felt the white voice gag was amusing at first, but it went on too long and the movie wound up running it into the ground.

Also, I totally get that comedy is highly subjective, but I'm sorry to say the jokes didn't land for me. I smiled at a few bits but never laughed out loud, not even at the compliments battle (which I thought was pretty inspired) or Cash's rap.

I know this film really won over a lot of people, and I'm super thrilled about that because I really want to see Riley bring his creativity and energy to more movies. For me, I would have to file this one under "a glorious misfire".
My thought exactly. It was a fun and funny movie to a point. Once it hit the surreal it lost me. With so much attention on telemarketing and scams these days. Just sticking with a satirical look at the industry and the guys inner conflict over making money at something he's good at versus scamming people would have landed better with me. The people were good. I just thought the story didn't need to go all sci-fi-ish. Also using Patton Oswalt as the white voice was too obvious. All he had to do was do a nasally white person voice and that would have sufficed.
Old 05-23-20, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The BD of this now OOP, so snag a copy on the cheap if you can. Used copies are $20 on Amazon. Best Buy has it brand new for $17.99, but that won't last. I snagged a used copy from eBay for $5.75, so that's good enough for me.
Old 05-24-20, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Really? Any idea why? Glad I picked it up awhile back then!

Looking back, I’m surprised I never told the story of seeing this in the theater ...

My wife and oldest daughter went with me, which is VERY rare. We went to the janky theater across town because it was the only place showing it. There was one other older couple in the auditorium, but they walked out after about 30 minutes.

Mrs. Teff and my daughter were not nearly as enthralled as I was ... in fact they were not enthralled at all. Having a private screening led to them being rather vocal about my movie selection ...

When the ... “twist” ... happened both of them yelled in unison “What the @#%k did you bring us to?!”

They haven’t gone to a movie with me since. When my wife and I have gone together, she has picked the movie. Maybe, just maybe, I can finally pick one after the pandemic.
The following users liked this post:
RichC2 (05-24-20)
Old 05-24-20, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

This movie is lots of fun to watch. I’ve watched it quite a bit. It’s on Hulu or Prime I think.
Old 05-24-20, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Really? Any idea why? Glad I picked it up awhile back then!

Looking back, I’m surprised I never told the story of seeing this in the theater ...

My wife and oldest daughter went with me, which is VERY rare. We went to the janky theater across town because it was the only place showing it. There was one other older couple in the auditorium, but they walked out after about 30 minutes.

Mrs. Teff and my daughter were not nearly as enthralled as I was ... in fact they were not enthralled at all. Having a private screening led to them being rather vocal about my movie selection ...

When the ... “twist” ... happened both of them yelled in unison “What the @#%k did you bring us to?!”

They haven’t gone to a movie with me since. When my wife and I have gone together, she has picked the movie. Maybe, just maybe, I can finally pick one after the pandemic.

I believe it's a 20th Century Fox movie (or Fox Searchlught), and they probably didn't produce that many BD's. It's been on HULU since day 1 of its home video release. It's part of the "Oakland Trilogy" along with Blindspotting and Black Panther.

Yeah, I got to see this in theaters, at my local janky theater, and was pissed that I did not see it at a nicer theater. My friend hated the whole "white voice" bits -- probably cuz he's white and the truth hurts.
Old 05-25-20, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I wonder if this will end up on the Criterion Collection? Seems right up their alley.
Old 05-25-20, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

We saw it a few months ago and we liked it, even the science fiction turn at the end. Given the choice between a movie about call centers and a satire about systemic racism, I'm more interested in the latter.

I mentioned the "white voice" just this morning. I told Mrs Danger about a scam telephone call I got years ago. It was all in white voice, until I didn't give him my credit card number. Then he cursed me in his Black voice and hung up.
Old 09-15-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So Boots Riley has a project in the works according to his Instagram: