Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-08-18, 11:45 AM   #1

The Many Saints Of Newark (W: David Chase) -- The Sopranos prequel

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: David Chase is finally ready to return to the New Jersey turf of his iconic creation The Sopranos. New Line has purchased the screenplay The Many Saints of Newark, the working title for a feature prequel of The Sopranos that is set in the era of the Newark riots in the 60s. That was a time when the African-Americans and the Italians of Newark were at each other’s throats, and amongst the gangsters of each group, those conflicts became especially lethal.

The script was written by Chase and Lawrence Konner, the prolific screen and television writer whose credits include The Sopranos.

Chase finally returning to expand The Sopranos lore will be welcome news to the legions who still feel that his HBO series is the greatest of all time. The groundbreaking show ran for six seasons from 1999 – 2007. It put HBO on the map, established the market for DVD sales of popular series, and won 21 Primetime Emmy Awards, five Golden Globe Awards, and Peabody Awards for its first two seasons. It launched the stars of a slew of actors and revived others, most notably the late James Gandolfini, Edie Falco, Steven Van Zandt, Lorraine Bracco, Michael Imperioli, Dominic Chianese, Steve Schirripa and on and on.

Some of the beloved characters from the series will appear in the film. I couldn’t get any more information about the plot, but the time period indicates there will be room for Tony Soprano’s father, Giovanni “Johnny Boy,” the former captain of the Soprano crew (played in flashbacks by Joseph Siravo), and a younger version of his wife Livia (played indelibly in the show’s first season by Nancy Marchand), and Tony’s uncle Junior, played by Chianese.

Chase will serve as producer as well as co-writer, and he will be involved in selecting a director.

This is a real coup for Warner Bros Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich.

“David is a masterful storyteller and we, along with our colleagues at HBO, are thrilled that he has decided to revisit, and enlarge, the Soprano universe in a feature film,” Emmerich said.

Chase’s last feature was the 2010 critically acclaimed Paramount film Not Fade Away. Chase Films’s Nicole Lambert will be executive producer.

Chase’s deal was made by his UTA agents Peter Benedek and Andrew Cannava, and attorney Michael Gendler of Gendler and Kelly. Konner is also repped by UTA.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/david-ch...ne-1202319202/
Old 03-08-18, 01:03 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Many Saints Of Newark (W: David Chase) -- The Sopranos prequel

Would Paulie Walnuts be old enough to have been around? I know he worked for Tony's old man.
Old 03-08-18, 04:52 PM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

Paulie would be pretty young, not sure how much involvement he’d have but would be cool to see- especially since he never had any scenes with Junior.

Not Fade Away was disappointing, but The Sopranos is my number one show, so I’m looking forward to this.
Old 03-08-18, 05:13 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

I have mixed feelings about this. You know a movie isn’t going to get nearly as in depth as the series for obvious reasons and it’s probably not going to have any of the original cast members so what separates it from any other mafia based film other than its being done by David Chase and has ties to The Sopranos. I think the time for this passed a long time ago personally and I’m terribly excited about it despite liking the show a lot.
Old 03-11-18, 06:54 PM   #5

I think this sounds like an incredibly bad idea.

I don't like the idea of someone trying to play a young Tony Soprano.

I don't like the idea of anyone trying to capture the glorious magic that was Nancy Marchand playing Tony's Mom.

Plus we have already learned enough about the characters past by watching six seasons of the show. They have provided enough backstory.

A better idea would be to make Sopranos: The Next Generation.

Gandolfini's death makes the plot a no-brainer: Tony is killed in a mob hit and forces his codependent mess of a family to step up to the plate and take the reins. Carmela takes control and makes a mess of things, Tony, Jr. nearly gets killed trying to get revenge for his Dad's killing and Meadow has to ditch her life as a part time attorney and housewife to take over her Dad's business becoming the Mafia Princess we always knew she would one day be.

It practically writes itself!
Old 03-13-18, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
I think this sounds like an incredibly bad idea.

I don't like the idea of someone trying to play a young Tony Soprano.

I don't like the idea of anyone trying to capture the glorious magic that was Nancy Marchand playing Tony's Mom.
But... they already did this. Several times. On The Sopranos.
Old 03-13-18, 10:58 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like a movie in the same "universe" with very limited ties to The Soprano's. Just another gangster movie trying to capture a built in fan base. I'll give it a shot because it's David Chase not because there is a Soprano in it.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 03-13-18, 11:37 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesix View Post
A better idea would be to make Sopranos: The Next Generation.
You think this movie is a bad idea, yet claim “The Next Generation” is a better idea? Are you a development exec from 1994?
Old 03-13-18, 11:59 AM   #9
DVD Talk Legend

I think he just meant an idea along those lines following a new group not literally calling it that. Personally that idea doesn’t necessarily interest me either. I mean Anthony is a whiny little bitch and I wouldn’t want a series focused on a group where he was a main player. Not sure who else would follow in the footsteps of the original. The time to have done something has passed with Gandolfini’s death in my opinion. I think it should be left as is, no prequels or sequels.
Old 03-13-18, 12:08 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think he just meant an idea along those lines following a new group not literally calling it that. Personally that idea doesn’t necessarily interest me either. I mean Anthony is a whiny little bitch and I wouldn’t want a series focused on a group where he was a main player. Not sure who else would follow in the footsteps of the original. The time to have done something has passed with Gandolfini’s death in my opinion. I think it should be left as is, no prequels or sequels.
I understand that it wouldn’t straight up be called that. Hopefully it was clear I am laughing at the entire concept of his scenario.

But ending with “it practically writes itself” also seems like the desperate cry of a development exec with no ideas, so that fits too.
Old 03-13-18, 12:12 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I understand that it wouldn’t straight up be called that. Hopefully it was clear I am laughing at the entire concept of his scenario.
I kinda figured. In most cases I don’t think a scenario like that is an awful idea just here I don’t think there are strong enough characters to spin off.
Old 03-14-18, 07:59 AM   #12

As a huge Sopranos fan, I still have 0 interest in this project. The only thing I would have wanted to possibly see was a sequel to the series, but with Gandolfini's death in 2013 I don't see that happening.
Old 03-14-18, 09:00 AM   #13
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This will bomb. Or go straight to Netflix. Zero interest in this.
Old 03-14-18, 09:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2cheer View Post
This will bomb. Or go straight to Netflix. Zero interest in this.
I would assume if it went that route, it would just air directly on HBO.
Old 07-03-18, 03:22 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Alan Taylor has just closed a deal to direct. Solid choice, especially given his history with the series.

Blu-ray.com