Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Old 10-02-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,016 Posts
Re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Yay for Alan!

Old 10-02-21, 06:44 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 491 Likes on 433 Posts
Re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

This tries to be The Godfather in some respects. As it just ain’t. Ain’t even close. It’s fine, but could have easily been a hbo movie. Quality of too. Certainly not theatrical and glad I didn’t have to see theatrical. This was not a bad time waster just didn’t have so much to do with series, but more of standalone Sopranos-type story with a lot of ties. Not even a great, grab u by the throat gangster pic. This could have been huge. When was last gangster pic anyway? Not Public Enemies. That wasn’t even well received. Can’t be. But these are few and far between and Chase should have capitalized and written better script. This was passable/serviceable. Didn’t hate it by any means, but could have been so much better and more epic. Do love seeing Ray Liotta as always.
Old 10-02-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,049 Posts

^ The Irishman?
Old 10-02-21, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
I didn't read anyone's post because I want to avoid potential spoilers, but I'm hoping someone can answer something for me.

My mother just finished watching all of The Sopranos for the first time. She enjoyed the show mainly for the humour.

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to take her to the theatre this week to see Many Saints. She knows it's a prequel and none of the cast from the TV show will be in it. But does the movie have the same high level of humour the TV series did, or is it more serious and not as much fun?

Thanks.
I actually thought this had more humor than the average episode of The Sopranos. Of course, like I said earlier, I didnít watch a ton of the series.
The following users liked this post:
Crocker Jarmen (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 07:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 491 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^ The Irishman?
huh?
Old 10-02-21, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
huh?
Somewhere in your rambling, stream of consciousness post you asked what the last gangster movie was.
Dr. DVD (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Somewhere in your rambling, stream of consciousness post you asked what the last gangster movie was.

Definitely rambling
Old 10-02-21, 10:05 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts

It was good, but it felt at times there was too much crammed in to 2 hours.

I thought at times Farmiga looked and sounded like Carmela.
The following 2 users liked this post by MrX:
andicus (01-09-22), BuckNaked2k (10-05-21)
Old 10-03-21, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
It was good, but it felt at times there was too much crammed in to 2 hours.

I thought at times Farmiga looked and sounded like Carmela.

I almost thought I posted both these points. It needed to be longer and Farmiga was good, but totally felt a Carmela vibe.
Old 10-03-21, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,322 Likes on 954 Posts

I remember that Melfi told Tony that he had a sort of oedipal complex where he pursued women who reminded him of his mother.

Maybe that's the implication there.

Dr. DVD (10-03-21)
Old 10-03-21, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts

I've only seen a few episodes of the Sopranos so there was probably a lot of references I might now have known about. With so Highly regarded the show still is today the movie felt mostly average. My favorite "Mob Moment" was the torture scene in the auto shop. That was just brutal. Also it felt weird a lot of screen time was devoted to funerals.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-03-21 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-03-21, 11:45 AM

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I'm currently rewatching The Sopranos. Thought I would finish in time but I'm still on season 6. When I finish, I'll check this out. Very interested!
Old 10-03-21, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if the identity of Dickie's killer will ever be revealed or if Chase will leave it unresolved so people continue to speculate as to whether it may have been the cop (maybe in plain clothes) or someone else? Of course there's also the possibility that we are never told and could infer that's what they told Tony who in turn told Christopher. Junior is such a petty person I could see him doing that.
Old 10-03-21, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,322 Likes on 954 Posts

Junior having Dickie killed would be a... sensitive issue. He's taking out another made man, which he can't do without permission, never mind over what amounts to a petty personal beef.

Which also might be had a crooked cop do it instead of another wiseguy.

Nobody would know what really happened except for Junior and Haydu.
Old 10-03-21, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Junior having Dickie killed would be a... sensitive issue. He's taking out another made man, which he can't do without permission, never mind over what amounts to a petty personal beef.

Which also might be had a crooked cop do it instead of another wiseguy.

Nobody would know what really happened except for Junior and Haydu.

I highly doubt he would tell anyone the truth, but I do think your argument lends credence to him probably hiring a crooked cop to do the actual job. Of course this leads to questions as to how Tony uncovered the cop's identity (I don't remember that being mentioned in the series, Tony just took Christopher to the place where the cop was having his retirement party).
Old 10-03-21, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

I liked it, but it didn't blow me away. This also felt like a Dickie Maltosanti movie rather than a young Tony movie. Also, the guy playing young Silvio felt like a caricature, and a bad one too.
Old 10-04-21, 07:09 AM

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,865 Posts

I wonder if WB could consider the $5mil this made at the BO a moderate success considering the Entourage movie opened to only $10mil during non-COVID times.
Old 10-04-21, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 152 Posts

I never understood the premise of this going to theaters. I'm glad they did not go limited series with this as it's a letdown or a step down from the Sopranos of yesteryear. I think in the end it was good, but not great, and far from very good. If a new prequel movie comes out down the road, I would watch it on HBOmax but I really can not see shelling out 15 to see this on the big screen.

And yes young Silvio was a total caricature, a distractingly bad one too.
Dr. DVD (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,016 Posts

You couldnít pre-Covid? I certainly would have. A Sopranos movie should feel like an EVENT. But with it on HBO Max, it feels like much less of one. Itís a shame.
Old 10-04-21, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I never understood the premise of this going to theaters. I'm glad they did not go limited series with this as it's a letdown or a step down from the Sopranos of yesteryear. I think in the end it was good, but not great, and far from very good. If a new prequel movie comes out down the road, I would watch it on HBOmax but I really can not see shelling out 15 to see this on the big screen.

And yes young Silvio was a total caricature, a distractingly bad one too.
I think I would have preferred this as a limited series. Not a theatrical release but a 6 hour limited series on HBO or HBOmax would have worked better, IMO. The movie was alright but it could have really benefitted from a longer cut to give it more room to breathe. The movie as is feels really truncated. It felt like a limited series edited down to a 2 hour movie.
BuckNaked2k (10-05-21)
Old 10-04-21, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 208 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
You couldnít pre-Covid? I certainly would have. A Sopranos movie should feel like an EVENT. But with it on HBO Max, it feels like much less of one. Itís a shame.
I feel the same way about the Soprano's in theaters as I do Sex in the city, its a show I watched and I have no interest in seeing a movie in theaters. Deadwood was one of my all-time favorite shows ever and I was quite content to watch that movie at home too. I'm a bit cheap that way I guess... If the Many Saints of Newark had been a more coherent film I might feel differently but it felt pretty uneven to me in contrast to the series. I have to wonder what was left on the cutting floor that would have improved the narrative some.
Dr. DVD (10-04-21)
Old 10-04-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 183 Likes on 147 Posts

The only way Chase was going to do this was IF it went to theaters. He's always wanted a career as a movie director and the only reason he didn't direct MANY SAINTS was because he had a heart attack and his wife was sick (with an undisclosed illness) at the same time. So he couldn't commit to directing. I honestly think he would NOT do any more Sopranos stuff unless it was another movie. I don't see him doing another series in this world.
Old 10-04-21, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 145 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I deleted my previous posts so I could list all my thoughts & questions in one.

- We're shown Junior's responsible for Dickey's murder but at the same time we don't know if Tony knew this himself and lied to Christopher or didn't know at all & was just repeating the story he's heard for so many years.

I think Tony lied to Chris and was testing him also showing what a manipulative sociopath he was.

- In the show when Johnny Boy was arrested at the amusement park he was out the same day. In the film he was locked up 4 years.

In the film he went to jail for assault. The amusement park thing was seperate

- Like Dex mentioned, the story Janice tells in the show about Johnny shooting Livia through the beehive hairdo, she says Junior and his goomah were in the car which they are not in the movie.

Just a matter of story getting passed down and misremembered.
- In one scene Dickey's wife said she's unable to have babies but in the next scene we see baby Christopher.

My guess is they were having trouble having children so he probably misspoke

- Junior's having sex after he fell & hurt his back and had to stop due to his back pain and the woman said something along the lines of "You always have an excuse not to fk me". Were they trying to insinuate that Junior's gay? This would have a lot more meaning behind the episode "Boca" where Junior flips out when it got out that he eats pussy because it's considered gay.

This one I dont know but you could be onto something

- Jon Bernthal should've been cast as Dicky as he has a strong resemblance to Michael Imperioli.

- In the show, Dickey was referred to a junkie numerous times but we don't see him use any drugs in the film.

At his funeral someone mentions they found pills in his pocket (the ones he got for Livia) so innuendo led to people assuming he was a junkie
- Did Sylvio have anything to do with Dickies murder? He was the last one we saw Dickie with right before the shooting and it sounded like him on the phone telling Junior that "it's done".

I hated the Silvio character. It did sound a bit like him.

Either way I enjoyed it and will watch again this weekend but I also expected more like others have said.
Old 10-04-21, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought it was okay, didn't really care about the Moltisanti Family besides wanting to find out who killed him. However, I could be intrigued by another movie with Junior, Harold and an older Tony Soprano and his father. Just no more Silvio..
Old 10-04-21, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 View Post
This also felt like a Dickie Maltosanti movie rather than a young Tony movie.
As excpected. Heck, it's right there in the title...

The Many Saints of Newark --> The Moltisanti of Newark

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.