Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Old 10-01-21, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
It really is Dickie Moltasantiís story. Young Tony is indeed a secondary character at best in the film. If this were divorced from the show it would go down as a well-made genre film, but attached to it, itís really a letdown and ultimately pointless.
Spoiler:
Christopherís narration is a pure stunt and needlessly spoils his characterís fate in the opening minutes. I get the target audience is fans of the show, but anyone who might see this and decide to check out the show really gets unnecessarily screwed by it.

what did you think of Gandolfini? Iíve heard both good and bad.
Old 10-01-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
what did you think of Gandolfini? Iíve heard both good and bad.
He has so little to do he comes off well, but Iím not sure he could have carried an entire film.
Old 10-01-21, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Not really looking for spoilers but do we get closure on how Dickie Moltasanti died.
Old 10-01-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew View Post
Not really looking for spoilers but do we get closure on how Dickie Moltasanti died.
100%. Probably the only revelation in the movie that makes it worth watching.
Old 10-01-21, 10:56 AM

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

This was a lot better than I thought it was going to be. Thought it would be a letdown for Sopranos fans, but this was definitely worthwhile.

Dickie Moltisanti was a way bigger piece of shit than TV series Tony Soprano was.

Some neat little revelations about young Tony in this too.
Old 10-01-21, 02:17 PM

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I noticed a discrepancy and don't know if this was done on purpose knowing how Chase is when it comes to details but in the Sopranos when Johnny Boy was arrested he was out the same day. In the film he was locked up for 4 years.
Yea, I noticed that too. The other difference was the shot through the bumblebee hairdo story. When Janice told the story, she said Junior and his goomah were in the car.

Overall, I was a little let down by the movie. I expected more. And I don't mean more of Tony. It just seemed like not that much happened... but still worth watching. I would watch a sequel. And since Chase just signed a 5 year overall deal with WB, it seems likely that is going to happen.

I liked the shot at the end of Tony in Halston’s and the foreshadowing of the finale.

Last edited by dex14; 10-01-21 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-01-21, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Just finished and I enjoyed it a lot. I thought Christoper's narration was great and would have liked more of it. I assume there will be more movies as Gandolfini gets older.
Old 10-01-21, 06:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 514 Likes on 449 Posts

I don't think i mis-heard, but
Spoiler:
Chris said Tony eventually killed him?

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-02-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 10-01-21, 07:49 PM

Yea… that was a major event of the show.
Old 10-01-21, 08:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I deleted my previous posts so I could list all my thoughts & questions in one.

- We're shown Junior's responsible for Dickey's murder but at the same time we don't know if Tony knew this himself and lied to Christopher or didn't know at all & was just repeating the story he's heard for so many years.

- In the show when Johnny Boy was arrested at the amusement park he was out the same day. In the film he was locked up 4 years.

- Like Dex mentioned, the story Janice tells in the show about Johnny shooting Livia through the beehive hairdo, she says Junior and his goomah were in the car which they are not in the movie.

- In one scene Dickey's wife said she's unable to have babies but in the next scene we see baby Christopher.

- Junior's having sex after he fell & hurt his back and had to stop due to his back pain and the woman said something along the lines of "You always have an excuse not to fk me". Were they trying to insinuate that Junior's gay? This would have a lot more meaning behind the episode "Boca" where Junior flips out when it got out that he eats pussy because it's considered gay.

- Jon Bernthal should've been cast as Dicky as he has a strong resemblance to Michael Imperioli.

- In the show, Dickey was referred to a junkie numerous times but we don't see him use any drugs in the film.

- Did Sylvio have anything to do with Dickies murder? He was the last one we saw Dickie with right before the shooting and it sounded like him on the phone telling Junior that "it's done".

Either way I enjoyed it and will watch again this weekend but I also expected more like others have said.

Old 10-01-21, 08:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I didn’t mis-hear, but
Spoiler:
Chris said Tony eventually killed him?

Yes he said that but I've always had an issue with this. Pretty sure Chris would've died from that crash regardless, Tony just 'helped".
BTW, we don't need spoilers. Anyone that decides to read this should already be aware the film will be discussed... with spoilers.

Old 10-02-21, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,252 Likes on 2,170 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. Not Sopranos good, which is problematic in its own right, but good enough. Gave some insight.
Thought Vera Farmiga was really great as Livia. And Corey Stahl was a spot on Uncle Junior. But whoever played Silvio was awful doing a broad Steven Van Zandt impression that was so distracting. Definitely liked the 70s stuff better than the 67 scenes.

Who knew Tonyís crew was like 15 years older than him? I didnít.

I have forgotten : how and when did Tonyís dad die?

When Dickie was beating the shit out of his dad, my wife said ďI think he killed himĒ and I said, it looks like it, but I know heís not dead because I saw Ray Liotta in prison in the trailerĒ. Then Dickie takes his dadís body and torches it and I turn to my wife and shrug ďI got nothing ď.
Old 10-02-21, 05:17 AM

Johnny died of Emphysema a couple of years before the series started.
Old 10-02-21, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Iíve got mixed feeling about this. Iíll admit that Iím not the biggest Sopranos fan. Iíve only seen about 1/3 of the shows, spanning the entire series. Iím able to identify characters but probably not many of the storylines that took place during the series.

That said, for the most part I actually liked this. I was able to figure out most of the characters in this and I really enjoyed the performances. The actors who played Uncle Junior and Paulie were the standouts to me. They did such a great job capturing the older actorsí performances. I agree with Decker, Silvio strayed too far into parody territory for me. Overall, it was cool seeing these characters being given a bit more life by showing their past.

However. I was hoping for more of a story here than just introducing characters we know or have heard about. There didnít really seem to be any substance to this movie. No heist, no real power grab, nothing.

I did enjoy the Sopranos theme start playing at the end, even though Iím not sure it was entirely earned based on Tonyís story.
Old 10-02-21, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Saw this last night and thought it was good but not great. Definitely falls short in both the categories of gangster movie and Sopranos canon. The Sopranos theme playing at the end made me smile. My issues are pretty much what everyone else has said.

Questions:

1) Was the brother character Ray Liotta played supposed to be a twin of the one Dickie killed, or did the bit where Dickie was alone in the room meant to tell us that he was just a figment of Dickie's imagination?

2) Are we to infer that Christopher is actually the son of Dickie and Guissepena? When Dickie said his wife was infertile that's what I kind of inferred, but then again his wife didn't seem like the kind who would have been okay with that.

3) What was the significance of the credits scene where Harold pays money to some guy? I was tired towards the end so I didn't really catch everything at that point.

I guess my issue with this movie is it either didn't clarify some things or just had some sloppy continuity mistakes. I noticed (after it was pointed out online) that the place where Tony was supposed to meet Dickie was the same place from the end of the series finale, just more compact. They said that scene would help answer some questions about the finale, but all I got out of it was that maybe every time Tony goes there and the door opens he instinctively looks up to see if it's Dickie, even though he knows he's dead? I will also say that like with every gangster movie, even the great ones, they always make it hard to get behind the antagonist because when it all boils down, they're just lowlife assholes. Maybe this is intentional.
Old 10-02-21, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 3,252 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD View Post

Questions:

1) Was the brother character Ray Liotta played supposed to be a twin of the one Dickie killed, or did the bit where Dickie was alone in the room meant to tell us that he was just a figment of Dickie's imagination?

2) Are we to infer that Christopher is actually the son of Dickie and Guissepena? When Dickie said his wife was infertile that's what I kind of inferred, but then again his wife didn't seem like the kind who would have been okay with that.

3) What was the significance of the credits scene where Harold pays money to some guy? I was tired towards the end so I didn't really catch everything at that point.
1) Good question. I took it at face value that he was a twin brother. But that's an interesting interpretation.

2) I wondered about that as well. Feels like something got left on the cutting room floor

3) Isn't that just Harold taking over the Numbers racket from the Italians? It's weird how he and his business plans play such a big role in the movie when the black organized crime families barely figure into the TV show at all.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 11:31 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 514 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
YeaÖ that was a major event of the show.
i totally don't remember that at all.
Old 10-02-21, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
3) Isn't that just Harold taking over the Numbers racket from the Italians? It's weird how he and his business plans play such a big role in the movie when the black organized crime families barely figure into the TV show at all.
Harold and his family were moving into a white neighborhood. He was peeling off some Benjamins from his stack to pay the white truck driver. It was meant to show how times had changed as he was now the one peeling off the bills instead of receiving them as he once did as an associate of Dickie.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (10-02-21)
Old 10-02-21, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,392 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Who knew Tonyís crew was like 15 years older than him? I didnít.
James Gandolfini looked at lot older than he was. When The Sopranos started, Tony was forty (born in 1959), but Gandolfini was actually two years younger than that.

If you asked me how old Tony looked, I would've put him at 50-55 at the start of the series. Silvio and Big Pussy about the same age as Tony give or take a few years, and Paulie, probably late fifties or early sixties.
Old 10-02-21, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,124 Posts

Questions:

Was Dickieís father a made man? It would be interesting to think that since the brother in prison was there for murdering a made man, he could be a figment of Dickieís imagination.
Old 10-02-21, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought it was pretty good. Not Sopranos good, which is problematic in its own right, but good enough. Gave some insight.
Thought Vera Farmiga was really great as Livia. And Corey Stahl was a spot on Uncle Junior. But whoever played Silvio was awful doing a broad Steven Van Zandt impression that was so distracting. Definitely liked the 70s stuff better than the 67 scenes.

Who knew Tony’s crew was like 15 years older than him? I didn’t.

I have forgotten : how and when did Tony’s dad die?

When Dickie was beating the shit out of his dad, my wife said “I think he killed him” and I said, it looks like it, but I know he’s not dead because I saw Ray Liotta in prison in the trailer”. Then Dickie takes his dad’s body and torches it and I turn to my wife and shrug “I got nothing “.
Had the same conversation with my wife about that.

Last edited by Michael T Hudson; 10-02-21 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Fixed word
Old 10-02-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
James Gandolfini looked at lot older than he was. When The Sopranos started, Tony was forty (born in 1959), but Gandolfini was actually two years younger than that.

If you asked me how old Tony looked, I would've put him at 50-55 at the start of the series. Silvio and Big Pussy about the same age as Tony give or take a few years, and Paulie, probably late fifties or early sixties.
also odd the HBO Instagram HBO page mentioned Silvia and Tony were childhood friends.
Old 10-02-21, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson View Post
also odd the HBO Instagram HBO page mentioned Silvia and Tony were childhood friends.

Maybe the events of WB's Flashpoint movie creates an HBO Multiverse? If so, then perhaps that eliminates the final season or two of Game of Thrones
Old 10-02-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 158 Posts

Okay, to reply to some of the issues brought up here.

Yes, in "Down Neck," Johnny Boy was let out of jail the same evening. And yes, in the movie he goes to prison...but there's no indication he wasn't allowed to go home that first evening/stay out of prison until his trial was over.

Yes, we can interpret that Sal was just a representation of Dickie's guilty conscious. Not only are there moments in the movie that suggests that (one moment where he looks up and no one is there and another when he and Sal are the only people in the room - not even a guard there), but Alessandro Nivola has stated in at least one interview that it will be up to the audience to decide if that character actually exists at all.

I think the problem that a lot are having with this film (which I liked, but didn't love - mostly because there wasn't enough time for character development...I wish Case and Taylor would have been okay with a three-hour cut...but Chase insisted on two hours) is that Tony's (meaning Tony of the series) interpretation of his past was much more glamorous than it was in reality. Remember all the New York guys in the series saying that the Sopranos were never anything more than a "glorified crew"? This movie shows that...they were never much more than thugs.

Old 10-02-21, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

I didn't read anyone's post because I want to avoid potential spoilers, but I'm hoping someone can answer something for me.

My mother just finished watching all of The Sopranos for the first time. She enjoyed the show mainly for the humour.

I'm trying to decide whether or not it's worth it to take her to the theatre this week to see Many Saints. She knows it's a prequel and none of the cast from the TV show will be in it. But does the movie have the same high level of humour the TV series did, or is it more serious and not as much fun?

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.