Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

Old 01-10-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Re: The Many Saints Of Newark (W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos preque

“It’s set in 1967 with the backdrop of the race riots that were happening in Newark at that time, and the racial tension between the Italians and the blacks at that moment is a big part of the backdrop of the story,” Nivola said.
In 1967, Tony Soprano would have been eight years old. (Most sources put 1959 as the year of Tony Soprano’s birth.)
Old 01-14-19, 12:02 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: The Many Saints Of Newark (W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos preque

This just got a hell of a lot more interesting...

Jon Bernthal and Vera Farmiga are set to join the cast of New Line’s “The Many Saints of Newark,” a prequel movie to the critically acclaimed HBO series “The Sopranos.”

New Line could not be reached for comment on the casting.

Plot details are vague other than the film being set during the Newark riots in the ’60s. The exact roles of Bernthal and Farmiga have yet to be revealed. More players from the “Sopranos” lore are expected to be joining the cast.

Series creator David Chase co-wrote the script with producer Lawrence Konner. Alan Taylor is directing “The Many Saints of Newark,” while Nicole Lambert and Marcus Viscidi will serve as executive producers. Chase has been hands on from the get go in the casting process hand picking Alessandro Nivola to play Dickie Moltisanti, along with Bernthal and Farmiga in their mystery roles.

Bernthal’s Netflix series “The Punisher” returns for a second season this January. He will next star in the indie film “Peanut Butter Falcon” alongside Shia LaBeouf, as well as the a untitled Ford vs. Ferrari movie where he plays Lee Lacocca . He is repped by WME.

Farmiga, who recently starred with Hugh Jackman in “The Front Runner,” will be seen next in Legendary’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” and Participant’s “Captive State.” She is currently filming the Netflix series “Central Park Five.” She is repped by CAA and Authentic Talent and Literary Management.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/j...nfndcF9T-fUvMM
Old 01-14-19, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Johnny Boy and Livia?
Old 01-14-19, 01:51 PM

Seems like the most logical guess.
Old 01-15-19, 12:21 PM

Junior?

Corey Stoll and Billy Magnussen are set to join the ensemble of the “The Sopranos” movie prequel, “The Many Saints of Newark.”

They join Alessandro Nivola, Jon Bernthal, and Vera Farmiga, who had previously been added to the cast. More players from the “Sopranos” lore are expected to be coming on board.
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/s...en-1203108158/
Old 01-15-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I'm cautiously optimistic about this, but I agree with the earlier poster who said this might (will?) bomb - it certainly doesn't seem like a theatrical blockbuster and without James G. (or any other cast member from the original, it appears), will anyone care? Plus, the clunky title will mean only "die-hard" fans will know it's connected to The Sopranos as all.
I don't see how it could really bomb since its budget has to be pretty tiny by blockbuster standards and it will bring out more viewers than any standard art-house fare since it's still The Sopranos.
Originally Posted by dex14
Junior is pretty short and Stoll is very tall. Can't imagine that he plays Junior (despite being bald). Whatever his role, I'm always interested in seeing Stoll's work. He's a really interesting actor.
Unless you're talking about Magnussen. But I don't see that either.

Farmiglia as Livia I do see. Love that one.
Old 01-15-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-22-19, 06:53 PM

Gandolfini’s son will play the younger Tony:
https://deadline.com/2019/01/the-sop...se-1202539160/

The late actor’s son has been gaining experience and had a breakout turn on the HBO drama series The Deuce. His resemblance to Tony Soprano is uncanny. The filmmakers engaged in an extensive audition process to find the young Tony before Gandolfini won the role. Insiders said that his screen presence, mastery of Tony’s mannerisms, coupled with his resemblance to the elder Gandolfini made him the standout choice for the role because no one there understood the character better, the insiders said.

He joins Alessandro Nivola, Vera Farmiga, Jon Bernthal, Billy Magnussen and Corey Stoll in the ensemble drama that is set in the era of the ’60s Newark riots, when African Americans and Italians of that city were at each others throats. It was especially lethal among gangsters from each group. The story focuses on Dickie Moltisanti (Nivola), a mentor to young Tony as his own father, Johnny Boy, was grooming his son on a pathway to organized crime prominence. There are expected to be call-backs and shout-outs to numerous other series characters in the film, which is set in the earlier time period.

“It’s a profound honor to continue my dad’s legacy while stepping into the shoes of a young Tony Soprano,” Gandolfini said in a statement to Deadline. “I’m thrilled that I’m going to have the opportunity to work with David Chase and the incredible company of talent he has assembled for The Many Saints of Newark.”
Old 01-22-19, 07:38 PM

Yeah, I bet that was an exhaustive search.

Now who can they cast as Livia's daughter or much-younger sister?
Old 01-22-19, 11:23 PM

You know, it just occurred to me that Farmiglia will have played a younger version of cinema's most notorious domineering and controlling mother in a prequel TV series AND a younger version of television's most notorious domineering and controlling mother in a prequel movie.

Old 01-24-19, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I think its cool that he gets to take on his dad's role.
Old 01-24-19, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I'm a lot more excited about this than I was when it was first announced.
Old 01-24-19, 08:41 AM

I wonder if they will cast the guy who played Young Nucky in flashbacks in the final season of Boardwalk Empire to play young Tony B. He was really convincing as a younger Steve Buscemi.
Old 01-24-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

The kid is 19 or 20 though, so he doesn't fit the timeline--that said, I guess I would have still cast him regardless.

And makes me wonder if he works out well if we might see a prequel TV series as well....
Old 01-24-19, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
The kid is 19 or 20 though, so he doesn't fit the timeline--that said, I guess I would have still cast him regardless.

And makes me wonder if he works out well if we might see a prequel TV series as well....
The movie is supposedly going to show Tony at ages 9 to 16/17.
Old 01-24-19, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

My two, uh, contributions to this at this point:

Who was asking for this?

and

IMO prequels have been, without exception, bad. I don't understand why we keep doing this. (Actually, yes I do: $)
Old 01-24-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
The movie is supposedly going to show Tony at ages 9 to 16/17.
Oh, OK. I thought it was sticking to 1967 for the setting. Well, never mind then!
Old 01-24-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lopper

Who was asking for this?

and

IMO prequels have been, without exception, bad. I don't understand why we keep doing this. (Actually, yes I do: $)
Tons of people have wanted a prequel thanks to the high quality of the flashbacks from this era on the original Sopranos. (The kid that played Tony then was great.)

At first, this sounded more like a spinoff than a true prequel, but that seems to be changing as more details come out.
Old 02-27-19, 05:07 PM

re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

EXCLUSIVE: Ray Liotta is negotiating to join the cast of The Many Saints Of Newark, The Sopranos prequel film that New Line will put into production by spring. He joins Alessandro Nivola, Vera Farmiga, Jon Bernthal, Billy Magnussen, Corey Stoll, and Michael Gandolfini, latter of whom will play the Tony Soprano role originated by his late father James Gandolfini. Alan Taylor is directing.
https://deadline.com/2019/02/ray-lio...L_qATrT8_fZMyU
Old 02-28-19, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
In 1967, Tony Soprano would have been eight years old. (Most sources put 1959 as the year of Tony Soprano’s birth.)
Wikipedia even has it at 1960. But yeah, Tony was about 40 at the start of the series...it doesn't make any sense that he'd be in his late teens in 1967.
Old 02-28-19, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Wikipedia even has it at 1960. But yeah, Tony was about 40 at the start of the series...it doesn't make any sense that he'd be in his late teens in 1967.
As I mentioned earlier, the movie is supposedly going to span multiple years and show Tony at ages 9 to 16/17.
Old 03-14-19, 01:55 PM

re: The Many Saints of Newark (2021, W: David Chase, D: Alan Taylor) -- The Sopranos prequel

New Line’s Sopranos prequel feature will hit theaters on September 25, 2020. The movie’s current working title is Newark (nee The Many Saints of Newark). The Sopranos series creator David Chase is co-producing and writing with Lawrence Konner.

The pic, directed by Alan Taylor, stars Alesandro Nivola, Vera Farmiga, Ray Liotta, Jon Bernthal, Corey Stoll, Billy Magnussen, John Magaro and Michael Gandolfini; the latter playing the younger role his late father James Gandolfini made legendary: New Jersey kingpin Tony Soprano.

Nivola will play young Dickie Moltisanti, the late father of Christopher Moltisanti (played by Michael Imperioli) and cousin of Carmela Soprano. Dickie never appeared on the HBO series, and was whacked before the story’s timeline. His legend hangs large as a pivotal member, along with Tony and Uncle Junior, as someone who transformed the family into one to be reckoned with in the Tri-State area.

The filmmakers are keeping quiet on details for the project and the roles, but it is known that some of the beloved characters from The Sopranos will appear in the film. What we know: Newark is set in the era of the Newark riots in the ’60s, when African Americans and Italian Americans in the city were at each other’s throats. That clash became lethal when it spread to gangsters of each group.

The Sopranos ran six seasons and won 21 Primetime Emmys, five Golden Globes and a Peabody Award.
https://deadline.com/2019/03/soprano...20-1202575803/
Old 03-14-19, 02:57 PM

I like The Many Saints of Newark a heck of a lot more than Newark as a title. The Many Saints of Newark sounds like a mob film. Newark sounds like a movie about an airport.
Old 03-18-19, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 375 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper

Who was asking for this?

and

Better Cal Saul is arguable one of the best shows on TV and a prequel. OTOH you have the Star Wars Prequels and Jar Jar....
Old 03-18-19, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Liotta will be playing the inventor of Chantix.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.