Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
0%
23.81%
19.05%
19.05%
4.76%
23.81%
What are you high?
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 03:15 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by musick
the subsequent comments do a better job of spelling out how rediculous the ramblings by the author are
I spoiled myself and still can’t put the pieces together. It’s a virtually spoiler-free movie that I might watch on Netflix one day.
Old 03-05-18, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Goonies85
They also forgot Tobe Hooper...who passed away around the same time Romero did...

Adam West, Powers Boothe, Tobe Hooper, Bill Paxton, John Mahoney, Della Reese, Jerry Van Dyke, Michael Parks, Richard Anderson, Tomas Milian, Skip Homeier, Anne Jeffreys and John Hillerman

This is a bigger fuck up than last years Best Picture.
Old 03-05-18, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Time for some new blood next year, I'd say. How about Key & Peele?
At this point the pay for them hosting would have to be about a 80/20 split in Peele's favour.
Old 03-05-18, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
I would have preferred had Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri won Best Picture. Have not seen Molly's Game yet so won't comment on the Adapted Screenplay category, except to say that I thought Call Me by Your Name was a very overrated and pretentious film and did not deserve to win. But I will say that I think Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri should have won in the original category.

There is literally nothing pretentious about Call Me By Your Name except maybe the setting. It's just a touching simple story of first love. Now Phantom Thread, THAT is a pretentious movie.
As far as 3B goes. I've covered that ground, so let me just say Get Out was a very clever unexpected movie and the screenplay was a big part of the reason why. It could have been a simple genre horror thriller or sly satire but it ended up being so much more. What a remarkable first film, and from such an unlikely filmmaker.
I call shenanigans ! Call Me By Your Name and Phantom Thread were the 2 very best films nominated for Best Picture!
Old 03-05-18, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Do they really have to show 2 hrs of technical awards every year and then in the last 20 minutes they bring out all the major awards?

The Golden Globes and SAGs don't do this.
Uhhh, thats because the Golden Globes don't do technical awards. All they really nominate are actors,directors, writers, movies and tv shows, but just WAY more of them.

Also, Documentaries (short and feature), foreign films, animated films (short and feature), short films, best song and best score aren't technical awards. In fact they have an entire show dedicated to the the technical awards, which wasn't tonights show.

Furthermore Roger Deakins winning for Best DP was easily the highlight of the show.

You talking out yo ass dude.

Last edited by Hazel Motes; 03-05-18 at 04:48 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Everyones favorite speech seems to be Frances McDormand. I dunno, she's a bit much. I think she was on coke.

I thought the show was decent. I really thought the metoo stuff was going to be poured on a lot thicker. But I thought just about every "message" tonight, from montages to speeches, was done pretty classy. Kimmel was ok, but Seth Meyers was better.

Deakins was the highlight for me.

Its a shame Tommy Wiseau didn't make it to the Oscars.

Theres usually at least one good comedic duo who presents and does a pretty good routine. I watched the whole show waiting for it, and it didn't occur to me until right now that thats what Tiffant Haddish and Maya Rudolph was supposed to be.

Like I said, decent show overall, but the In Memoriam was a big clusterfuck.
Old 03-05-18, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also the big bummer for me tonight was Sufjan Stevens losing. He's the only person I was really rooting for.
Old 03-05-18, 05:10 AM

Old 03-05-18, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Time for some new blood next year, I'd say. How about Key & Peele?
John Oliver.
Old 03-05-18, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I stopped watching the Oscars a few years back. It was just too damn grating and self congratulatory back slapping by rich egotistical twats.

Having said that, i read about the winners and check highlights (if any). The In Memorium seemed a massive fuck up this year. Kimmel seemed dull (but to be expected from these typs of shows, unless you have Ricky Gervais on). Reminds me of a story Norm McDonald says about a TV show called "Comics Unleashed." His response was "You couldn't be any fucking more leashed."

And i was unfortunate enough to click on the clip of the Frances McDormand speech. Holy fucking shit. I mean, let me start by saying that i think she is a horrible actress. She won for Fargo and the levels of hatred i have for that piece of shit movie, and especially for her in it. This is like Crash or Forrest Gump levels of stupid at awards shows. She is basically Leslie Mann, but married to a talented guy. She seriously must have been on crack last night. And whats with that maniacal laugh of hers? Jesus H. Christ. Its shit like this that makes me understand why the Far Right hates Hollywood. And understanding anything right wing is something i am loathe in doing.

And Roger Deakins winning was something deserved, however this should have been maybe his fourth or fifth win.
Old 03-05-18, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Best thing about the show? Gal Gadot

Second best thing about the show? J-Law

(I tend to be biased in favor of Tinseltown's remaining "Beautiful People.")

Worst thing about the show? The fact that as the industry is finally throwing off the yoke of white male domination (or seeming to), and more diverse stories are being told by more diverse filmmakers, nobody seems to care. Movie attendance and TV viewership are dropping precipitously. The audience is increasingly fragmented. I'm guessing this was the lowest-rated Oscars show yet.
Old 03-05-18, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Watched about 30 mins of show, it aint what it used to be, gonna be interesting to see the ratings. I actually flipped over to homeland, that's how desperate I was. The movie theater bit was decent, the rest was a yawn.
Old 03-05-18, 06:42 AM

I can’t help but like the Oscars when there’s plenty of unexpected jokes (if ultimately tame) and a movie I really liked wins BP that I think I’ll probably see more than once. That happened this year, and only happens maybe every few years or so.
Old 03-05-18, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Adam West, Powers Boothe, Tobe Hooper, Bill Paxton, John Mahoney, Della Reese, Jerry Van Dyke, Michael Parks, Richard Anderson, Tomas Milian, Skip Homeier, Anne Jeffreys and John Hillerman

This is a bigger fuck up than last years Best Picture.
I just realized they left out Dorothy Malone also, a Best Supporting Actress winner who made a most memorable acceptance speech at the 1959 ceremony.
Old 03-05-18, 07:08 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
And i was unfortunate enough to click on the clip of the Frances McDormand speech.
One of the comments:
"I was half expecting Frances to lead all the women outside and burn the building with all men inside."

Old 03-05-18, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Orbi-Wan Looks at the 2018 Oscars

I have a few thoughts on last night’s Oscars and a few of the categories. These are MY opinions only.

I thought Jimmy Kimmel’s joke about “Black Panther” making more in its first three weeks than all of the Best Picture nominees during their entire runs combined was brilliantly funny, and very telling. The follow-up about “Black Panther” making another $48 million during the first 40 minutes of the Oscar broadcast was very funny, as well.

Congratulations to Gary Oldman for winning Best Actor under pounds of makeup for “Darkest Hour”. The excellent make-up won, as well.

Jordan Peele’s best original screenplay for “Get Out.” Wow. Just wow. Well deserved. More in this in a moment.

Although I was not surprised at all, I was happy that “Coco” won for Best Animated Feature, and Best Original Song for “Remember Me”. “Coco” is by far the best and most original thing from Pixar since “Inside Out”.

Most of the other winners went about as expected, although I thought some categories had stronger contenders. For example:

“Baby Driver” should have won something for Sound. “Dunkirk” was fine, but “Baby Driver” was something special.

“War for the Planet of the Apes” was robbed for Visual Effects. “Blade Runner 2049” was nice to look at, but Weta Digital has the pushing the limits of realistic CG characters for decades now, and Andy Serkis’ work as Caesar (and other CG creations) continues to be criminally overlooked.

Finally, as much as I appreciated seeing a genre film win Best Picture, I thought that “Get Out” was a MUCH stronger and original film than “The Shape of Water”. I realize that “Water” was more flashy (and splashy), but it was also very derivative. Get Out” turned a few tropes on their heads, boasted power performances, genuine thrills, and stuck with me longer than “Water” did.

So another year is in the books. A ton of genre (sci-fi, comic book, fantasy, and horror) film are on tap for the rest of this year, so let’s see how many are recognized, shall we?

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 03-05-18, 07:20 AM

Yeah, I think the Picture and Original Screenplay winners could be interchangeable most years. Both were among my favorites of the nominees I’ve seen.
Old 03-05-18, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Best thing about the show? Gal Gadot

Second best thing about the show? J-Law

(I tend to be biased in favor of Tinseltown's remaining "Beautiful People.")

Worst thing about the show? The fact that as the industry is finally throwing off the yoke of white male domination (or seeming to), and more diverse stories are being told by more diverse filmmakers, nobody seems to care. Movie attendance and TV viewership are dropping precipitously. The audience is increasingly fragmented. I'm guessing this was the lowest-rated Oscars show yet.
Live TV viewership is down, I think we're actually watching more TV overall these days.
Old 03-05-18, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

The Francis thing was extremely cringe worthy....literally covered my eyes and I was alone while watching it.

Glad Get Out won for screenplay, not because I'm a huge horror movie fan but because out of what was nominated, it deserved it.
Old 03-05-18, 08:25 AM
Banned - I'm a Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Live TV viewership is down, I think we're actually watching more TV overall these days.

I think it’s the lowest rated in 9 years. I had forgotten it was on. I’ll pass on the #metoo bullshit hypocrisy and the “let them win because they are black or women” bullshit”. I love how the left wants AR’s banned yet they approve of military holding AR’s outside of their precious little self congratulating show.
Old 03-05-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Last years was the 9 year low, this years is an all-time low (unsurprisingly, not a single real "breakout" hit in the nominees outside of Get Out) not counting time shifting.

And cut it out with the left shit, I know plenty of Left, Moderates and Rightys that love their AR-15s (I'm in Florida, it's basically a status thing), and almost as many that think sales should be halted. This whole "Fuck the Left." "Fuck the Right." shit is getting old. Feel free to talk shit about the tea party though, they're still the assholes around here.

Additionally, there wasn't a whole lot of MeToo stuff, I kind of feel a show rewarding Kobe Bryant doesn't have a leg to stand on in that regard.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-05-18 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 08:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I thought the show was entertaining enough, nothing horrible. Would have voted 3.5 if that was an option. Kimmel was ok, speeches fine, agreed with most of the wins. The two main negatives for me were the yearly “mistakes” in the In Memorium section, and they seemed to leave potential good material on the table at the end. Bringing back Faye & Warren for the final award was inspired, but then nothing they said was inspired or funny (unless I was more asleep than I thought at that point). Couldn’t they have written some decent material there? Or had some sort of last minute flub joke? Seemed to end with a whimper.
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
The Francis thing was extremely cringe worthy....literally covered my eyes and I was alone while watching it.
I didn't watch much of the show, but I did see that. It takes a lot to make me cringe, but that certainly did.
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil
I think it’s the lowest rated in 9 years. I had forgotten it was on. I’ll pass on the #metoo bullshit hypocrisy and the “let them win because they are black or women” bullshit”. I love how the left wants AR’s banned yet they approve of military holding AR’s outside of their precious little self congratulating show.

Spoiler:
From political memes thread:

Old 03-05-18, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure many people don't watch because of the politics. I'm sure others don't watch because they haven't seen any of the movies nominated (except Get Out). It's also way too long, and 75% of the awards they give out the general public couldn't care less about. I normally enjoy the Oscars and try to see the movies nominated, but I totally understand why ratings continue to fall.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.