Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
0%
23.81%
19.05%
19.05%
4.76%
23.81%
What are you high?
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Oscar Ratings Down Double Digits As Viewership Hits All-Time Low With 26.5 Million – Update

UPDATED with official Live+Same Day ratings: It was an Oscar do-over last night for host Jimmy Kimmel, producers Mike De Luca and Jennifer Todd and Best Picture presenters Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. Following last year’s Envelopegate, which led to Beatty and Dunaway inadvertently announcing a wrong Best Picture winner, the quartet’s second go-around went without a hitch.

But the good news did not carry over to ratings for the 90th Academy Awards, which (correctly) crowned The Shape of Water as Best Picture. Last night’s ceremony, which aired live from 8 PM – 11:54 PM EST, averaged 26.5 million viewers (Live+same day) . That was down -19% from last year’s 32.9 million viewers, a nine-year low.
http://deadline.com/2018/03/oscar-ra...ip-1202310775/
Old 03-05-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

^ Trump’s tweet taking credit for the low ratings in 3...2...1...
Old 03-05-18, 04:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
true but nothing like throwing shade on the best directors for others fuck ups.

or the countless times people kept kissing harveys ass when the rumors of his shit were all there.

or the general hypocrisy of best pictures for movies no one really sees. How is that a general best picture when no one sees it.

or the pedo issues plaguing the industry yet still people throw a blind eye.

they all had the platform but its all about the flavor of the month.
I didn’t know the Oscars were responsible for everything wrong in Hollywood. I do now.

Last edited by Brack; 03-05-18 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once upon a time I watched the Oscars.
I stopped when I realized:
A) the awards are not handed out based purely on the "best" performance, achievement, etc.
B) a racial/ethnic/gender quota is now in effect
Old 03-05-18, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
No way... everyone knows they wouldn't have a chance of winning.
That is my point, everyone would know they would not take home the statuette but it would have helped prevent this from being what, the lowest rated Oscars over the past 5 years? The Academy should nominate 1 or 2 hyper popular films (but make sure the 2 mainstream hits they nominate also have some critical acclaim) as a bulwark against the nasty ratings erosion for the big show.

I did not even bother to tivo and I had plenty of room because I can store 150 HD hours on my tivo, plus I can record up to 4 shows at once and 6 more on my bedroom tivo so it is not like it would have been difficult for me to record. I could have contributed to the delayed viewing ratings numbers if Logan & Wonder Woman were nominated, and I am confident others who did not watch might feel the same way as I do.
Old 03-05-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Once upon a time I watched the Oscars.
I stopped when I realized:
A) the awards are not handed out based purely on the "best" performance, achievement, etc.
You are adorable, I will tell Denzel that he only received his Oscars in years past because they needed to throw a bone to an African American and he did not win because of his fantastic performances in the films he was nominated for. I get it...you are frustrated that Black Panther will end up as one of the highest grossing films of all time, you gotta get over it dude or you will end up giving yourself an ulcer.
Old 03-05-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Must be news to all those unnominated Latino and Asian Actor's

And where is the gender quota in all the tech categories? Unless they start nominating a woman for the sake of it in a poorly reviewed movie I am not seeing any basis for this arguement. The only category where noms are 50/50 is acting and those have been in place since 1927

Also look at Wonder Woman,Zillion dollar box office,female lead and Director.0 Oscar noms,seems like they showed equality by snubbing it the same they would for an acclaimed male superhero film
Old 03-05-18, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Is it just me, or does it always seem like they rush the "big" awards (Best Picture, Actor, Actress) because they're running hopelessly late? I mean, they gotta dress rehearsal this thing, right? Even though you don't know what the winners will say in their speeches, you can have a stand in do a "I wanna thank..." until they get played off just like the actual winners would. Then you have an approximate time when it will end, and can lop off segments accordingly. It's not a huge deal for me, living on the west coast, but I doubt I'd stay up till midnight for this if I was still on the east coast. (Side note: I remember when I was a kid and our parents would only let us watch the first 30 minutes of the show 'cause it was already past our bedtime. We were still excited, thinking we'd get to see 2-3 awards presented in that first 30 minutes, but that was the year Vanessa Redgrave won BSA. Let me tell you, we were pissed.)

I'd like to see more hype about the Best Picture nominees (this year, they didn't do that normal bit where they show extended clips of the BP nominees sprinkled throughout the show). It really is time to dial back on having the Best Original Songs all performed live, and maybe makeup, costume, and sound editing need to be in the technical awards event that aren't broadcast.
Old 03-05-18, 06:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Oscar Ratings Down Double Digits As Viewership Hits All-Time Low With 26.5 Million – Update

I'll have to admit, I didn't watch the Oscars and I can't remember how long. I haven't missed it since high school, so at least 25 years. Nothing political, I just completely forgot. Didn't even remember to record it. Just blanked this year.
Old 03-05-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Is it just me, or does it always seem like they rush the "big" awards (Best Picture, Actor, Actress) because they're running hopelessly late? I mean, they gotta dress rehearsal this thing, right? Even though you don't know what the winners will say in their speeches, you can have a stand in do a "I wanna thank..." until they get played off just like the actual winners would. Then you have an approximate time when it will end, and can lop off segments accordingly. It's not a huge deal for me, living on the west coast, but I doubt I'd stay up till midnight for this if I was still on the east coast. (Side note: I remember when I was a kid and our parents would only let us watch the first 30 minutes of the show 'cause it was already past our bedtime. We were still excited, thinking we'd get to see 2-3 awards presented in that first 30 minutes, but that was the year Vanessa Redgrave won BSA. Let me tell you, we were pissed.)

I'd like to see more hype about the Best Picture nominees (this year, they didn't do that normal bit where they show extended clips of the BP nominees sprinkled throughout the show). It really is time to dial back on having the Best Original Songs all performed live, and maybe makeup, costume, and sound editing need to be in the technical awards event that aren't broadcast.
Yes so they can bore us for 2 hrs with minor technical awards

Maybe the Academy can negotiate a new TV contract so the Oscars are not always on ABC ever year and this will insure Kimmel or some other ABC hack won't host the show every year.
Old 03-05-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
or the general hypocrisy of best pictures for movies no one really sees. How is that a general best picture when no one sees it.
Do you not understand what an award is? It's when a group (usually critics or industry insiders) decide to recognize a movie or person for the QUALITY of the work, not the box office take.

Does that make sense, or should I explain it a different way?
Old 03-05-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

He wants Wonder Woman to win best picture lol
Old 03-05-18, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
Do you not understand what an award is? It's when a group (usually critics or industry insiders) decide to recognize a movie or person for the QUALITY of the work, not the box office take.

Does that make sense, or should I explain it a different way?
The Academy Awards ceremony was originally created to promote the work of the major studios and pat themselves on the back for jobs well done. The Best Picture winners were usually films that were both popular and critically acclaimed (e.g. GRAND HOTEL, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY, GONE WITH THE WIND, CASABLANCA, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, etc.). The Best actors and actresses were loyal studio employees who happened to click with the critics as well. All the short films, live, documentary and animated, were made by the studios--in-house--so they were supporting their own work in those categories.

It wasn't until after the war that the pool of eligible films expanded to include independently made documentaries and shorts and foreign films and, after the Paramount Divestment Decree of 1948, in which the studios were ordered to sell off their theaters, more independent films reached bigger audiences and got recognized by the Academy, e.g. MARTY in 1955. A United Artists release, but made outside the major studios and shot on location (in the Bronx).
Old 03-05-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
You are adorable, I will tell Denzel that he only received his Oscars in years past because they needed to throw a bone to an African American and he did not win because of his fantastic performances in the films he was nominated for.
I wouldn't.
I get it...you are frustrated that Black Panther will end up as one of the highest grossing films of all time, you gotta get over it dude or you will end up giving yourself an ulcer.
Actually, I really liked Black Panther.
I took my 2 grandchildren to see it last week because my black son-in-law was too busy at work.

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez

Also look at Wonder Woman,Zillion dollar box office,female lead and Director.0 Oscar noms,seems like they showed equality by snubbing it the same they would for an acclaimed male superhero film
IMO, Wonder Woman is a good movie, not a great one.
And only "great" films should be nominated for BP...again, IMO.
Old 03-05-18, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm sorry, where were all the celebrities talking about politics? Maybe diversity, but I never heard any political discussion at all besides a couple of tame Kimmell jokes in the monologue.

Nah, nothing poltical was said... Oh wait, you must have went to the bathroom during these moments when all of this was going on. And Jimmy Kimmell was tame? Hmmmmmm... Do tell.... I will post a few. You can read the rest. And to think Hollywood can't figure out how their award show ratings keep gettting worse every year. Here's a clue, keep the political crap off the shows and go back to honoring the best movies, music and tv shows.

Of course, the Oscars had plenty of political moments.

Washington (CNN) It wouldn't be an awards show without some political moments.

This year, we kept track of every political jab and line made at the 90th annual Academy Awards show. Check out the list below:

Jimmy Kimmel's opener
Kimmel returned to the helm as host on Sunday. He of course had a few envelope jokes, referencing the envelope mix-up last year that initially (and mistakenly) resulted in "La La Land" being named the best picture winner over "Moonlight" at the 89th Academy Awards.

But there were also a few political zingers.

Wakanda
Before kicking off his monologue, Kimmel did an old Hollywood-like voiceover to black and white footage from this year's red carpet.

"There's Chadwick Boseman," he said at one point, as footage of the "Black Panther" actor played. "The king of Wakanda! Imagine that! A country with a black leader. Wouldn't that be swell?"

Fox News
Later, while talking about Harvey Weinstein -- and the subsequent powerful #MeToo movement and Time's Up initiative -- Kimmel joked about the awards show statuette: Oscar.

"Oscar is 89 years old this year, which probably means he's at home watching Fox News," Kimmel said, a jab at the network news channel's older, more conservative viewers.

He went on to clarify that "Oscar is a very respected man in Hollywood. Just look at him: He keeps his hands where he can see them, no penis."

"Get Out" and Trump
The first Trump joke came about 10 minutes into Kimmel's monologue.
"None other than President Trump called 'Get Out' the best 3/4 of a movie so far this year," Kimmel said when addressing the mastermind behind the film, Jordan Peele.

The horror film, which has received praise for its performances and thought-provoking take on race in America, received four Academy Award nominations, including one for best picture.

Calling out Vice President Mike Pence
Kimmel made a joke about Pence while talking about best actor nominee Timothee Chalamet, nominated for the film "Call Me By Your Name," a gay love story.

"We don't make films like 'Call Me By Your Name for money," Kimmel said, while talking about how the film was critically acclaimed but didn't do as well at the box office. "We make them to upset Mike Pence."

Kimmel during the show

Hope Hicks' departure
Kimmel made another White House joke while introducing director Greta Gerwig and actress Laura Dern before they presented the best documentary feature category.

"If the last two years have taught us anything, it's that reality can be ... depressing," he said. "But tonight's nominated documentaries show us that where there is darkness, there is also hope. Except at the White House.

Hope quit on Wednesday."
Hicks, the former White House communications director and one of Trump's longest-serving and closest aides, resigned last week.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/04/polit...nts/index.html
Old 03-05-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Old people watch Fox News, Mike Pence doesn't like gays, Hope Hicks left the white house.

Wow, deep cutting jokes there, that aren't actually political in and of themselves.

People always find something to bitch about.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-05-18 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

^

When Meryl Streep called out Trump at the 2017 Golden Globes, that was an awards show getting too political. This was as tame as an old Carson monolog.
Old 03-05-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Hell, tamer than that.

Seems like there is this weird need for everybody to get offended by everything these days it's just fucking bizarre.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-05-18 at 10:20 PM.
Old 03-06-18, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

A few thoughts:

Kobe Bryant was an Academy award winner before Roger Deakins

I have no idea who Rachel Shenton is but Damn....

I thought the jet ski thing was pretty funny. I was hoping someone would go up there and just say I want the jet ski and walk off the stage.

I was most happy for GDT and Shape of Water, Coco, And Gary Oldman

I really don't understand the film montages. Some of them had no rhyme or reason or theme. Just a bunch of super short clips of various films. It was literally so everyone tuning in could get excited about some movie they love being featured.

Overall it was pretty boring. I really sometimes wish there was an option to watch recorded shows in 1.5x speed.
Old 03-06-18, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman

I used to watch the Oscars and all of the Awards shows but they have turned off people like me with their politics. Now Awards shows have always been political, but they were limited to a few nominees as the usual suspects like Susan Sarandon, etc. You would deal with their 5 minutes of their political crap, and the rest of the show would go on.

Now the politics goes through the whole show, and you are going to turn off 1/2 the country by doing that. This is why I stopped watching Late Night cause I want to get away from Politics, and now Colbert, Kimmel, Meyers, etc have morphed their shows into a 60 minute infomercial for the DNC.

I don't mind political humor as long as it cuts both ways, as Carson went after both parties equally and never revealed his true beliefs. I have stated this before as many you will say I'm a broken record about the Carson era, but when you see the ratings for all of these award shows down to all-time low, it's because they have turned off 1/2 of the country. That to me is bad business, as the executives at ABC need to go back to Econ 101.
Old 03-06-18, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I have never seen the appeal in Johnny Carson? What i have seen of his late night show it seemed like a combination of a typical middle age Uncle, a Pastor and a QVC spokesman, stuck in the 1950's. And i don't think he ever made me laugh once.
Old 03-06-18, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember the Oscars being consistently political until the 21st century. There were a few incidents at the Oscars during the 1970s, e.g. Brando turning down the award and sending an "Indian" activist to read his speech; the winners of Best Docu Feature (HEARTS AND MINDS) reading a congratulatory telegram from North Vietnam and Frank Sinatra declaring the Academy's disavowal, much to the dismay of Warren Beatty and Shirley MacLaine; Vanessa Redgrave screaming about "Zionist thugs" when she accepted her award.

But I don't recall political acceptance speeches or messages from presenters becoming a regular thing until the G.W. Bush administration in the 2000s, e.g. Michael Moore leading a protest against the Iraq War when he got his Documentary Feature award in 2003 and Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins saying something about Haiti, I think, plus, that time Richard Gere asked us all to wish for Tibetan independence and send our thoughts to the Chinese Premier or something. Everything else tends to kind of blur together.

There was a time there in the '80s and '90s, IIRC, when it was all blissfully free of the outside world.
Old 03-06-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
I have never seen the appeal in Johnny Carson? What i have seen of his late night show it seemed like a combination of a typical middle age Uncle, a Pastor and a QVC spokesman, stuck in the 1950's. And i don't think he ever made me laugh once.
You just nailed his appeal. That combination is exactly what people wanted and, presumably, needed during the Carson era. And he made most of us laugh pretty consistently during that time. I can think of funny lines off the top of my head that he said during his Oscar host stints.
Old 03-06-18, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I used to watch the Oscars and all of the Awards shows but they have turned off people like me with their politics. Now Awards shows have always been political, but they were limited to a few nominees as the usual suspects like Susan Sarandon, etc. You would deal with their 5 minutes of their political crap, and the rest of the show would go on.

Now the politics goes through the whole show, and you are going to turn off 1/2 the country by doing that. This is why I stopped watching Late Night cause I want to get away from Politics, and now Colbert, Kimmel, Meyers, etc have morphed their shows into a 60 minute infomercial for the DNC.

I don't mind political humor as long as it cuts both ways, as Carson went after both parties equally and never revealed his true beliefs. I have stated this before as many you will say I'm a broken record about the Carson era, but when you see the ratings for all of these award shows down to all-time low, it's because they have turned off 1/2 of the country. That to me is bad business, as the executives at ABC need to go back to Econ 101.
Old 03-06-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
He wants Wonder Woman to win best picture lol
nah.. Get Out should have won if best picture really meant what it says..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.