Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
0%
23.81%
19.05%
19.05%
4.76%
23.81%
What are you high?
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Old 03-05-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: The 90th Academy Awards --> 2018 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by ManfromCyrodiil View Post
I love how the left wants ARís banned yet they approve of military holding ARís outside of their precious little self congratulating show.
Idiotic statement. The military having military-class weapons is something I think we all agree on!
Old 03-05-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 657 Likes on 533 Posts

I really need to watch Dunkirk. Kind of surprised it still carried a little weight into awards night, considering it seemed forgotten a few weeks after it came out.

And I'm sort of one of the key demos for this, and just didn't give a shit this year. Glad Deakins won though, dude is one of the most consistent professionals in Hollywood.
Old 03-05-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I'm in Florida, it's basically a status thing
Lives in Florida. Says it all.
Old 03-05-18, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Idiotic statement. The military having military-class weapons is something I think we all agree on!
Don't listen to him, he's still upset about getting an arrow to the knee.
Old 03-05-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seeing Haruo Nakajima in the In Memoriam section gave me the biggest damn smile.
Old 03-05-18, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

J-Law look like a giantess standing next to Jodie Foster.

Guess that guy who won the costume design got the jet ski.

First time I see the Oscar without giving the Honorary award.

Look like like all the Best Picture nominee got some awards except The Post and Lady Bird who got shut out.
Old 03-05-18, 09:27 AM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Oscars 2018: a night with no frontrunners led to unexpected milestones

https://www.vox.com/2018/3/5/1707836...estones-firsts

Interesting headline, since The Shape of Water was the “front runner” in nominations, but I liked the write up and the history that I haven’t seen all together until this article.
Old 03-05-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am happy Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell got acting Oscars. Also happy Jordan Peele got an award for original screenplay and that my boy Guillermo won Best Director.
Three Billboards was my favorite film this year but I also enjoy Shape of Water so i am ok getting the best picture specially since its Sci-Fi/Fantasy so hopefully we see more of those movies nominated/winning in the future as well
Old 03-05-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Adam West, Powers Boothe, Tobe Hooper, Bill Paxton, John Mahoney, Della Reese, Jerry Van Dyke, Michael Parks, Richard Anderson, Tomas Milian, Skip Homeier, Anne Jeffreys and John Hillerman

This is a bigger fuck up than last years Best Picture.
To be fair, Bill Paxton died that day and while he wasn't in the montage his death was acknowledged last year.
Old 03-05-18, 09:44 AM

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

1957 Academy Award winner Dorothy Malone was left out of the "In Memoriam" too.
Old 03-05-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 657 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
Lives in Florida. Says it all.
Usually does. It'll be a diagnose-able condition in the near future.
Old 03-05-18, 10:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the performance of 'Remember Me' suuuuuuucked.
Old 03-05-18, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Usually does. It'll be a diagnose-able condition in the near future.
Florida will eventually all be underwater sooner than later, no amount of guns will stop that..
Old 03-05-18, 10:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 849 Likes on 602 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Florida will eventually all be underwater sooner than later, no amount of guns will stop that..
Them's fightin' words.
Old 03-05-18, 10:31 AM

Received 2,880 Likes on 1,974 Posts

This isn’t a joke. Frances McDormand had her Best Actress Oscar for “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” stolen from her while attending the Academy Awards’ Governors Ball. Details are still sketchy, but eventually a photographer and security apprehended the person who took it and it was returned to Ms. McDormand. Moreover, it’s not clear how that individual got a ticket or entered the post-Oscars ceremony in the first place (perhaps, a more serious concern). That being said, it wasn’t that surprising considering how bizarre this entire awards season has been.
https://theplaylist.net/frances-mcdo...olen-20180305/
Old 03-05-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

Lowest rated Oscar show--ever! Down 16% from last year.
Old 03-05-18, 10:32 AM

Streep just couldnít help herself.
Old 03-05-18, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts

Since there's no in-between 2 and 3, I went with 2/5.
Old 03-05-18, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am happy "Coco" won best animated film.. I enjoyed that movie.
Old 03-05-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

Gary Oldman, Roger Deakins & Jordan Peele
Old 03-05-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

The powerful and important anthem "This is Me" losing to the forgettable, generic "Remember Me" is one of the great Oscar mistakes of all time. But, hey, Pixar practically owns the Oscars.
Old 03-05-18, 11:23 AM

Received 164 Likes on 141 Posts

If Logan or Wonder Woman were up for Best Picture I bet the ratings would have been higher...I know that I would have tivoed and at least watched a sketch bit or two, the parts honoring the deceased and the big awards.

I saw what I believe was an Access Hollywood link in a People mag article last night that was a red carpet interview of Sandra Bullock and the interviewer at the end said hey maybe we will be talking BP at the Oscars next year (and I presume that he was thinking in the context of BP being up for major awards not just the technical ones). The Academy should have embraced being labeled "sell outs" and thrown WW or Logan a bone as it would have goosed the ratings and generated some genuine pre-show buzz.

EW's Dalton and Jessica Shaw both felt the show was flat and I can see other articles on the web that indicate they were not the only ones who thought this and the ratings also prove their point. This year we have Black Panther, the new Mary Poppins film from Disney and the year is young with plenty of films to come so the Academy has another shot at selling out (aka doing the right thing) by nominating a blockbuster film or two with tons of popular appeal.

Seriously, I will watch if it is not basically just art house films that make up the Best Picture list and I bet some folks on this board might admit to jumping back into viewing the Oscars if good but super popular films make their way back onto the awards lists.
Old 03-05-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts

At this point, there's practically zero difference between the Academy Awards and the Independent Spirit Awards.
Old 03-05-18, 11:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
There is literally nothing pretentious about Call Me By Your Name except maybe the setting. It's just a touching simple story of first love. Now Phantom Thread, THAT is a pretentious movie.
Agree to disagree on Call Me by Your Name. I haven't seen Phantom Thread yet either.

As far as 3B goes. I've covered that ground, so let me just say Get Out was a very clever unexpected movie and the screenplay was a big part of the reason why. It could have been a simple genre horror thriller or sly satire but it ended up being so much more. What a remarkable first film, and from such an unlikely filmmaker.
Agree to disagree on Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. I do think Get Out is a really good movie but I just never thought it was Oscar-worthy.

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Adam West, Powers Boothe, Tobe Hooper, Bill Paxton, John Mahoney, Della Reese, Jerry Van Dyke, Michael Parks, Richard Anderson, Tomas Milian, Skip Homeier, Anne Jeffreys and John Hillerman

This is a bigger fuck up than last years Best Picture.
And Robert Guillaume and David Ogden Stiers.

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
John Oliver.
This.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Best thing about the show? Gal Gadot

Second best thing about the show? J-Law

(I tend to be biased in favor of Tinseltown's remaining "Beautiful People.")

Worst thing about the show? The fact that as the industry is finally throwing off the yoke of white male domination (or seeming to), and more diverse stories are being told by more diverse filmmakers, nobody seems to care. Movie attendance and TV viewership are dropping precipitously. The audience is increasingly fragmented. I'm guessing this was the lowest-rated Oscars show yet.
Aww, she's so SWEET.

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I thought the show was entertaining enough, nothing horrible. Would have voted 3.5 if that was an option. Kimmel was ok, speeches fine, agreed with most of the wins. The two main negatives for me were the yearly ďmistakesĒ in the In Memorium section, and they seemed to leave potential good material on the table at the end. Bringing back Faye & Warren for the final award was inspired, but then nothing they said was inspired or funny (unless I was more asleep than I thought at that point). Couldnít they have written some decent material there? Or had some sort of last minute flub joke? Seemed to end with a whimper.
Have they ever written decent material anywhere?

Originally Posted by TheHive08 View Post
I'm sure many people don't watch because of the politics. I'm sure others don't watch because they haven't seen any of the movies nominated (except Get Out). It's also way too long, and 75% of the awards they give out the general public couldn't care less about. I normally enjoy the Oscars and try to see the movies nominated, but I totally understand why ratings continue to fall.
I only really care about Best Picture, Best Director, the acting categories and the screenplay categories.

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
I am happy Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell got acting Oscars. Also happy Jordan Peele got an award for original screenplay and that my boy Guillermo won Best Director.
Three Billboards was my favorite film this year but I also enjoy Shape of Water so i am ok getting the best picture specially since its Sci-Fi/Fantasy so hopefully we see more of those movies nominated/winning in the future as well
This.
Old 03-05-18, 11:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
If Logan or Wonder Woman were up for Best Picture I bet the ratings would have been higher...I know that I would have tivoed and at least watched a sketch bit or two, the parts honoring the deceased and the big awards.

I saw what I believe was an Access Hollywood link in a People mag article last night that was a red carpet interview of Sandra Bullock and the interviewer at the end said hey maybe we will be talking BP at the Oscars next year (and I presume that he was thinking in the context of BP being up for major awards not just the technical ones). The Academy should have embraced being labeled "sell outs" and thrown WW or Logan a bone as it would have goosed the ratings and generated some genuine pre-show buzz.

EW's Dalton and Jessica Shaw both felt the show was flat and I can see other articles on the web that indicate they were not the only ones who thought this and the ratings also prove their point. This year we have Black Panther, the new Mary Poppins film from Disney and the year is young with plenty of films to come so the Academy has another shot at selling out (aka doing the right thing) by nominating a blockbuster film or two with tons of popular appeal.

Seriously, I will watch if it is not basically just art house films that make up the Best Picture list and I bet some folks on this board might admit to jumping back into viewing the Oscars if good but super popular films make their way back onto the awards lists.
I watch the Oscars live and all the way through every single year. I may seek therapy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.