Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anna (2019, D: Besson) S: Sasha Luss, Cillian Murphy, Luke Evans, Helen Mirren

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 08:44 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

ANNA Be ready!🔪💣💥🕶⚔️🔫❤️ #sasha luss#cillianmurphy #lukeevans #helenmirren #film#cinema#polar

A post shared by Luc (@lucbesson) on <time style=" font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px;" datetime="2017-11-05T08:03:21+00:00">Nov 5, 2017 at 1:03am PDT</time>

<script async defer src="//www.instagram.com/embed.js"></script>

Luc Besson has set his next film.

Lionsgate and EuropaCorp have closed a co-production deal for Besson’s next action film, which will be titled “Anna.” Lionsgate will also distribute the pic.

EuropaCorp will produce the film, while Lionsgate will distribute it. The movie starts production this November and will be released under Lionsgate’s Summit Entertainment label.

The pic stars Helen Mirren, Luke Evans, Cillian Murphy, and newcomer Sasha Luss, as Anna.

“We are delighted to be reunited with Luc and his EuropaCorp team on another exciting, action-packed film featuring an A-list cast,” said Lionsgate MPG chairman Patrick Wachsberger and president of acquisitions and co-productions Jason Constantine. “Luc is a visionary filmmaker with whom we are proud to extend our longstanding relationship.”

Besson’s new project is the first film to be produced under EuropaCorp’s new mandate post “Valerian.”

During last month’s shareholders meeting, EuropaCorp’s CEO Marc Shmuger outlined the outfit’s aim to focus on making action thrillers and science-fiction films, in line with the company’s DNA, along the lines of “Taken,” “Lucy,” “The Professional” and “The Fifth Element.”

On top of shrinking its slate to two to three English-language films a year, a source close to the company told Variety that EuropaCorp will now work with more modest budgets ranging from $25 million to $35 million.

Going forward, Besson is expected to be more creatively involved in all of EuropaCorp’s projects.
Aside from Besson’s next directorial outing, EuropaCorp is also actively developing a sequel to Scarlett Johansson-starrer “Lucy” whose script has already been written by Besson, according to Shmuger.

Besson directed the Scarlett Johansson-starrer “Lucy” and “Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets.” He also co-wrote and produced the hit action franchise “Taken.” Marc Shmuger will produce the upcoming project on behalf of EuropaCorp.

Evans was most recently seen in “Beauty and the Beast” and “Fast and Furious 8.” He can be seen next in “Professor Marston and the Wonder Women” in theaters this Friday.

Mirren recently starred in “Collateral Beauty,” and can be seen next in Disney’s “The Nutcracker and the Four Realms.”

Peter Nichols of Lichter Grossman Nichols Adler & Feldman negotiated the deal for Luc Besson and also represents Luss. Mirren is represented by CAA, Evans by WME and United Agents in the U.K., and Murphy by ICM Partners, The Lisa Richards Agency and Lou Coulson Associates.
Old article so some of the Europa stuff isn't currently accurate.

Besson has been posting a decent amount on Instagram.
Old 04-10-19, 03:47 PM

re: Anna (2019, D: Besson) S: Sasha Luss, Cillian Murphy, Luke Evans, Helen Mirren

<iframe width="706" height="397" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oZSMV-NDH4w" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beneath Anna Poliatova’s striking beauty lies a secret that will unleash her indelible strength and skill to become one of the world’s most feared government assassins. An electrifying thrill ride unfolding with propulsive energy, startling twists and breathtaking action, ANNA introduces Sasha Luss in the title role with a star-studded cast including Academy Award Winner Helen Mirren, Cillian Murphy, and Luke Evans.

In Theaters June 21.
Old 04-11-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Anna (2019, D: Besson) S: Sasha Luss, Cillian Murphy, Luke Evans, Helen Mirren

Soooo....another Besson young-female-assassin/killer-movie.
Well, at least he's consistent.
Old 05-16-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Anna (2019, D: Besson) S: Sasha Luss, Cillian Murphy, Luke Evans, Helen Mirren

Old 05-16-19, 11:48 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Is she holding that gun with her crotch?
Old 05-16-19, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

When I saw the trailer before John Wick 3, I really thought they were going to say her name was Mathilda.
Old 06-19-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 280 Likes on 180 Posts

Comes out this weekend, no reviews yet. Looks like an ok way to kill some time, but I fully expect bad reviews. RT prediction: 34%

Bonus prediction: WhySoBlu will love it, no matter how bad it is
Old 06-19-19, 05:07 PM

If I have time, I’ll see it.
Old 06-19-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Seeing it Friday night.
Old 06-19-19, 09:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
When I saw the trailer before John Wick 3, I really thought this was the female John Wick.
Old 06-19-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

ANNA AKA: Jennifer Lawrence turned us down cause she just did Red Sparrow.

Ill rent it if If reviews are mostly positive.
Old 06-20-19, 09:03 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw “Anna” tonight and I enjoyed it. Had gone in with low expectations since I thought “Valerian” was terrible, but I’ll admit I did enjoy “Lucy” for the bonkers direction Besson went with it.

I liked Sasha Luss a lot - sure, she’s ridiculously hot but she managed to carry the movie as title character Anna. I had no complaints about her performance through the length of the movie, and she seemed like she gave a lot to the role. Otherwise, the movie would have turned grating really quick if she was lacking.

Helen Mirren was great - she hammed it up as a no nonsense KGB officer, but it worked. I’d probably watch a whole movie of her just playing that character .

Overall, I’d describe this movie as a La Femme Nikita caper movie with more action set pieces. You can definitely tell the John Wick influences, but by no means is it a full actioner - you’ve probably seen the key action set pieces in the trailer. In the end, I’d probably watch it again when it comes out on video and recommend it worth a watch.
Old 06-20-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched it this evening and can't believe how similar it is to Red Sparrow. It might as well be a reboot of that movie.
Old 06-20-19, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Watched it this evening and can't believe how similar it is to Red Sparrow. It might as well be a reboot of that movie.
Was it as boring as that?
Old 06-21-19, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
I’m not sure what movie the other poster saw, but there is literally a total of zero training scenes in “Anna” + a lot more fighting and headshots. It’s also tonally quite different - more of a caper vibe (and probably too much in this vein for those who’ve seen it: my crowd made an audible groan at the final placard - it might have been one use of the gimmick too much). More assassin than honeypot (although that comes into play as well).

Other than the female Russian spy thing, not the same at all? Not trying to be a defender of this movie, but the other poster is making an extremely simplified comparison between the two.
Old 06-21-19, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Caught a showing of this and I'm surprised to say that I was thoroughly entertained by it. It's basically La Femme Nikita Redux (with a pinch of Red Sparrow and Atomic Blonde thrown in for good measure), but with a sexier heroine, an amusing detour into the world of fashion models, and a much, much higher body count (but sadly, no Jean Reno as the Cleaner).

As a thespian, Sasha Luss is certainly no threat to Charlize Theron or Scarlett Johansson, but besides being smokin' hot, she does a better than adequate job in the title role and manages to be fairly convincing in the action sequences (for a skinny model, that is). Helen Mirren (whom I didn't even recognize at first) is a real hoot as Anna's Russian handler and pretty much walks away with this movie acting-wise, but there is solid support from Cillian Murphy and Luke Evans.

The plot takes a while to get going and has some clunky dramatic scenes (eg. the pre-spy stuff with her sleazy Russian boyfriend) and a wonky non-linear narrative that repeatedly jumps back and forth in time in a way that seems pretty unnecessary at first, but which eventually has a decent payoff. The storyline also has more twists and turns than the last two M. Night Shyamalan movies combined, but I kind of enjoyed the absurdity and playfulness of it all.

Even though I enjoyed Lucy, it was kind of lacking on the action front, so I'm tempted to say this is Besson's most entertaining movie since The Professional. Of course, if sexual assault allegations against Besson are proven true, I will disavow any positive comments I've made about this movie and will chalk up its heavy-handed feminist overtones (female fighting for her freedom/independence in a male dominated world) to being mere lip service from a Max Landis-style douchebag.

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 06-21-19 at 03:46 AM.
Old 06-21-19, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Not getting great reviews...I did like the trailer, but seems like a rental to me. It's going to get crushed by Toy Story 4 this weekend anyway, but maybe it will do good numbers overseas.
Old 06-21-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14

I kinda liked Red Sparrow, think it's underrated ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally Posted by greydttwo

I’m not sure what movie the other poster saw, but there is literally a total of zero training scenes in “Anna” + a lot more fighting and headshots. It’s also tonally quite different - more of a caper vibe (and probably too much in this vein for those who’ve seen it: my crowd made an audible groan at the final placard - it might have been one use of the gimmick too much). More assassin than honeypot (although that comes into play as well).

Other than the female Russian spy thing, not the same at all? Not trying to be a defender of this movie, but the other poster is making an extremely simplified comparison between the two.
What? Have YOU watched Red Sparrow? There's plenty of similarities besides it being about female Russian spy. I'll spoiler this since it involves the plot

Spoiler:
In both Red Sparrow and Anna, the Russian spy becomes a double agent for America and is romantically involved with an American spy. Both characters came from poor backgrounds and don't want to be spies. They are in it to eventually gain freedom (not money or revenge like alot of these assassin movies are)

Old 06-21-19, 01:42 PM

I kinda liked Red Sparrow, think it's underrated

What? Have YOU watched Red Sparrow? There's plenty of similarities besides it being about female Russian spy. I'll spoiler this since it involves the plot
Yeah, I own a copy of Red Sparrow, and no, one is not a remake of the other. The tones are entirely different, not to mention the execution of it. If you want to go that route in describing things, go for it, but it’s deceiving because you make it sound like it’s the same exact movie.

A person who disliked “Red Sparrow” might end up liking “Anna” (or the opposite) because they are different movies. The premise is similar, but the execution is different enough.
Old 06-21-19, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Caught a showing of this and I'm surprised to say that I was thoroughly entertained by it. It's basically La Femme Nikita Redux (with a pinch of Red Sparrow and Atomic Blonde thrown in for good measure), but with a sexier heroine, an amusing detour into the world of fashion models, and a much, much higher body count (but sadly, no Jean Reno as the Cleaner).
I'll be seeing it in theaters then. I loved La Femme Nikita.
Old 06-21-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by greydttwo

Yeah, I own a copy of Red Sparrow, and no, one is not a remake of the other. The tones are entirely different, not to mention the execution of it. If you want to go that route in describing things, go for it, but it’s deceiving because you make it sound like it’s the same exact movie.

A person who disliked “Red Sparrow” might end up liking “Anna” (or the opposite) because they are different movies. The premise is similar, but the execution is different enough.
Oh, the tone and execution are different, but you acknowledge that the movies share similar plots. You've really made a great argument for yourself!

Let me ask you this...when someone says two movies are similar, how often do you think they are referring to the "tone" instead of the story line? Very rarely, and only when it's some wanna-be film critic/snob
Old 06-21-19, 10:14 PM

Oh, the tone and execution are different, but you acknowledge that the movies share similar plots. You've really made a great argument for yourself!

Let me ask you this...when someone says two movies are similar, how often do you think they are referring to the "tone" instead of the story line? Very rarely, and only when it's some wanna-be film critic/snob
We’re going to go in circles and hey, nice of you to resort to the “wanna-be film critic/snob” comment (esp for “Anna”? Didn’t realize giving more than a 2 sentence opinion of a movie suddenly made me a wannabe film critic). You’re actually breaking down your own argument, but I’ll leave it to others to judge.
Old 06-21-19, 10:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

greydttwo, don’t get Osiris started about Walter Goggins, he can get edgy about that as well.

Watched this earlier today, it was typical Luc Besson fare in the vein of La Femme Nikita and Lucy. But hey, what else were we expecting. If you like those, you’ll like this.

Every Luc Besson flick like this is better than Red Sparrow.
Old 06-22-19, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got back from this and I loved it. Sasha Luss was captivating as hell and moved like a gazelle during those action scenes - graceful as a motherfucker. Definitely going to get this on BD. Oh, and the short haired girl was smoking hot as well.
Old 06-22-19, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review...I'll NF it when available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.