Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic World Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow)

Old 02-10-22, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts
Re: Jurassic World: Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow)

Oof, that looks... dumb. It looks like they designed the script to move from set piece to set piece, without really much of an excuse. The whole trailer overall reminds me of Rise of Skywalker
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 914 Posts

The trailer is going to be the best part of the film.
IBJoel (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 04:55 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

dammit i'm in!
Old 02-10-22, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

People bitch for decades that they should do something different and dinosaurs roaming the planet is pretty fucking different... and it garners... "That's dumb."

It's like Star Wars. It doesn't matter what they do, they can't win.
The Questyen (02-13-22)
Old 02-10-22, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

The trailer is about what I expected. Basically the same movie weíve seen five times over. The original cast returning doesnít get me all that excited either.

Franchises are starting to burn out on that idea and either bringing back the old cast works well in favor of the story or is just a cheap gimmick to rope people back in. I feel like itís going to be the latter in this case.
Old 02-10-22, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
People bitch for decades that they should do something different and dinosaurs roaming the planet is pretty fucking different... and it garners... "That's dumb."

Sure they can. Better scripts.
Old 02-10-22, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Hey, I said I thought it looked good.

Iím sure Iíll be proven wrong but right now it looks good!
Old 02-10-22, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Received 1,067 Likes on 620 Posts

My pitch on what they should have done differently has always been, "don't make the movie"
Why So Blu? (02-10-22)
Old 02-10-22, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

I like all five Jurassic movies, and I'll probably like this one.

They aren't high art; they are what they are.

I go into them expecting nothing more than two hours of realistic-looking dinosaurs chasing, terrorizing, and eating people. I don't need a great script for them, just something serviceable and that doesn't go too far into left field. Like those rumors from several years ago about how a Jurassic Park sequel would have the military training cyborg velociraptors or somesuch.

The only thing I ask for is to include some new dinos in each movie.
Old 02-11-22, 08:02 AM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

So in the last movie, the dinosaurs were released somewhere in the US and then they're just all over the planet? How would the land based dinosaurs spread and how could they even have the time to grow to an adult size without people killing them?
Old 02-11-22, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The trailer is about what I expected. Basically the same movie weíve seen five times over. The original cast returning doesnít get me all that excited either.

Franchises are starting to burn out on that idea and either bringing back the old cast works well in favor of the story or is just a cheap gimmick to rope people back in. I feel like itís going to be the latter in this case.
The Jurassic Park movies have always be pretty contained to the ďparkĒ part (T-Rex loose in the suburbs aside). Seeing cowboys herd dinosaurs across the plains is pretty damn different.

I think this looks really great and the two generations of casts together is super fun. And a feathered dinosaur! Fun! Iím more excited for this than anything outside of Marvel movies.
Old 02-11-22, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by tiloup13
So in the last movie, the dinosaurs were released somewhere in the US and then they're just all over the planet? How would the land based dinosaurs spread and how could they even have the time to grow to an adult size without people killing them?
Shhh... you're not supposed to ask questions. Just read the bolded part below.. or

But seriously, just a quick thought, there are billionaires around the globe willing to pay big bucks for dinosaurs for their own JP zoos or personal entertainment or for sport or whatever. The rich will breed them, reverse engineer and make more. Pretty easy to see them, getting out, spreading and breeding in the wild. Life finds a way. In fact it's almost as if the previous movie set up this exact plot.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I like all five Jurassic movies, and I'll probably like this one.

They aren't high art; they are what they are.

I go into them expecting nothing more than two hours of realistic-looking dinosaurs chasing, terrorizing, and eating people. I don't need a great script for them, just something serviceable and that doesn't go too far into left field. Like those rumors from several years ago about how a Jurassic Park sequel would have the military training cyborg velociraptors or somesuch.

The only thing I ask for is to include some new dinos in each movie.
Exactly. I've been preaching the same since JPIII. I just want to be entertained for 2 hours with dinosaurs chasing and/or eating people. And yeah, that rumored military plot was absurd.

This franchise is also near and dear to my heart. I took my girls to the 2012 3D re-release who were then 5 & 7 at the time. The franchise became my oldest's favorite series, and the original is her favorite movie. She's had two themed JP birthday parties (8 & 16) and even wanted to be a paleontologist for awhile. She just put on a Jurassic Park themed version of Hamlet for a school project two days ago. She took lead for her group and made all the props. She made Hammond's cane a few years back and used that too. My youngest loves the series as well, but not with quite as much fervor. So.... Dominion will officially be the first movie we see in the theater since pre-Covid. This is a "can't miss" for us.
Old 02-11-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Life, uh, finds a way.
Old 02-12-22, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,720 Likes on 1,877 Posts

In the last movie we saw them being auctioned off to wealthy bidders.

There's a black market for them.

Some of the dinosaurs that escaped into the US were captured and transported off to Europe and other countries to be sold. Then they either escaped captivity before they were sold or after they were sold.

In the original Jurassic Park movie they questioned the wisdom of throwing dinosaurs into the modern human world. They quickly became a commodity and an invasive species.

And, since they're a commodity, you're also probably going to be seeing breeders as well, which would account for the rapid expansion of their population. There were also a lot of "legitmate" creation programs as well, the original Jurassic Park and however many experimental programs Hammond had hidden on islands, and then Jurassic World park that came out decades later. There were probably hundreds of these things roaming around in contained locations by the time Jurassic World opened. Those then get poached and "life finds a way."

Old 02-12-22, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 999 Likes on 619 Posts

So.... Dominion will officially be the first movie we see in the theater since pre-Covid. This is a "can't miss" for us.
Yeah, I'm thinking this might be my first trip back to the theater as well since pre-Covid.
Michael Corvin (02-12-22)
Old 02-12-22, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
In the last movie we saw them being auctioned off to wealthy bidders.

There's a black market for them.

Some of the dinosaurs that escaped into the US were captured and transported off to Europe and other countries to be sold. Then they either escaped captivity before they were sold or after they were sold.

In the original Jurassic Park movie they questioned the wisdom of throwing dinosaurs into the modern human world. They quickly became a commodity and an invasive species.

And, since they're a commodity, you're also probably going to be seeing breeders as well, which would account for the rapid expansion of their population. There were also a lot of "legitmate" creation programs as well, the original Jurassic Park and however many experimental programs Hammond had hidden on islands, and then Jurassic World park that came out decades later. There were probably hundreds of these things roaming around in contained locations by the time Jurassic World opened. Those then get poached and "life finds a way."
Yeah, this could be a reason, but honestly, why bother thinking about it. It's Jurassic World, just go with it.
Old 02-13-22, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Life, uh, finds a way.

Fallen Kingdom was awful but I'm in for another big, dumb, dinosaur film.
Old 04-05-22, 12:32 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

Collider can confirm through multiple sources that the run time of Jurassic World Dominion, the forthcoming sixth entry in the long-lived big-budget franchise, will top out at 2 hours and 26 minutes. The Colin Trevorrow-directed epic from a script co-written with Emily Carmichael features a returning cast of franchise favorites including Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Bryce Dallas Howard, Sam Neil, and Chris Pratt.
https://collider.com/jurassic-world-...rs-26-minutes/
Old 04-05-22, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Fallen Kingdom was awful but I'm in for another big, dumb, dinosaur film.
Honestly, it grew on me for it's observatory. I mean, seriously, if I were to travel back in time and tell kid me that that I'd be able to see a haunted house horror movie with a dinosaur one day I'd lapped it up like cherry Coke.
John Pannozzi (04-05-22)
Old 04-28-22, 10:19 AM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Cellar Door (04-28-22), Inhumans99 (04-28-22)
Old 04-28-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Jurassic World Dominion (2022, D: Trevorrow)

This looks like more of the same to me. It'll be fun and dumb.
Old 04-28-22, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

With Neill, Dern, and Goldblum returning, it may be enough to get me to the theater...even though I hate Trevorrow's JP movies (well, only saw the P.O.S that was Jurassic World)
Old 06-07-22, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Surprised there has been so little activity on this thread, AV Club has a post up noting that this entry in the Jurassic Park/World Franchise has divided critics. Many call it over-long and stuffed with too many side stories that do not really merge into each other all that well as the film goes on. Other than a few gripes about the special effects, those are mostly being praised and many folks are saying the dino action is solid in sections in the movie, and the film is at its best when the OG cast and the new cast are on the screen together. A critic does note that Bryce Dallas Howard seems to get a solid story-arc in the film.

I still plan to buy my ticket to a Dolby Theater showing for this Saturday (I have an AMC Newpark right up the street from where I live), and do feel I will have fun watching the film, but I guess any thoughts in my head that this film might turn out to be something special should be tempered. I can live with a film that just asks you to suspend tons of disbelief and is fairly entertaining for about 2 1/2 hours.
Old 06-07-22, 12:35 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 901 Likes on 762 Posts

i haven't even seen Jurassic World yet. but do have the 3D Blu set to go, perhaps tonight.
Old 06-07-22, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I just really have little desire to see this. If I do it wonít be until itís available to stream.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.