DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Disney's Pinocchio - Live Action (2022, D: Zemeckis) S: Tom Hanks (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/643127-disneys-pinocchio-live-action-2022-d-zemeckis-s-tom-hanks.html)

devilshalo 02-20-18 06:55 PM

Disney's Pinocchio - Live Action (2022, D: Zemeckis) S: Tom Hanks

This is not GDT or RDJ's Pinocchio....

FEBRUARY 20, 2018 4:29pm PT by Borys Kit

Disney's Live-Action 'Pinocchio' Enlists 'Paddington' Director

Jiminy Cricket, Walt Disney Studios has found a director for its live-action reimagining of Pinocchio.

Paul King, the director of the whimsical and acclaimed Paddington movies, has been chosen to direct the movie, with the studio hoping to being production this fall.

Released in 1940, Pinocchio was the second animated movie made by Disney, after 1937’s Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It adapted the Italian story by Carlo Collodi about a wooden boy puppet crafted by an old carver named Geppetto. The boy is brought to life by a fairy who says he will become a real boy if he shows bravery. The character of Jiminy Cricket becomes his de facto conscience and tried to steer him in the right direction. What follows is a series of adventures that include Pinocchio being kidnapped to be part of a puppet show, getting turned into a donkey, and being swallowed by a whale.

GoldenJCJ 02-20-18 07:09 PM

re: Disney's Pinocchio - Live Action (2022, D: Zemeckis) S: Tom Hanks

A remake of the Roberto Benigni masterpiece?

dex14 11-29-18 04:51 PM

Tom Hanks is in early talks to play the fatherly figure Geppetto in Disney’s live-action adaptation of its classic animated tale “Pinocchio.”
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/t...XKlUDLEldfwpS0

dex14 10-29-19 02:39 PM

Recent news:
Robert Zemeckis in Talks to Direct Live-Action ‘Pinocchio’ for Disney (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/r...ey-1203246886/

More recent "news":

GoldenJCJ 10-29-19 09:36 PM

Zemeckis has disappointed me like no other filmmaker over the years. He used to be one of my favorite filmmakers but he hasn’t made anything I’ve enjoyed for almost two fucking decades!

A live action Pinocchio remakes doesn’t fill me with confidence that this will change anytime soon.

Groucho 10-29-19 09:59 PM

Looking forward to all the kids in this movie looking like walking nightmares.

Shannon Nutt 10-31-19 03:03 PM

There's a rumor this may go straight to Disney+ and not see a theatrical release.

EDIT: I see they mention that in the article. :)

Decker 10-31-19 03:33 PM

^ Did Maleficent 2 bomb? I hadn't really heard one way of the other, but it didn't have the negative buzz that Dumbo did.

dex14 10-31-19 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Decker (Post 13633164)
^ Did Maleficent 2 bomb? I hadn't really heard one way of the other, but it didn't have the negative buzz that Dumbo did.

Compared to the original, yes. It's been doing somewhat decent internationally atleast. It's like Alice Through The Looking Glass.

dex14 12-10-20 06:17 PM

TomOpus 12-10-20 08:02 PM

I never really cared that much for the original but marveled at the excellent hand-drawn animation.

devilshalo 03-03-21 03:31 PM

Cynthia Erivo, Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Play the Blue Fairy, Jiminy Cricket in Live-Action 'Pinocchio'
MARCH 03, 2021 9:30AM by Borys Kit

Disney has found some of its magic for its live-action retelling of Pinocchio.

Cynthia Erivo and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have been tapped to play Disney icons the Blue Fairy and Jiminy Cricket in the feature project that is being directed by Robert Zemeckis.

The duo join Tom Hanks, who is plating Geppetto, and has been associated with the long-gestating project since 2018. The project is combining live-action and heavy visual effects.

Also coming on board this whale of a tale is Benjamin Evan Ainsworth (Flora and Ulysses), who will voice the title character of Pinocchio, and Keegan-Michael Key as the voice of Honest John. Lorraine Bracco is playing the voice of Sofia the Seagull, a new character.

Pinocchio will begin production this month in the U.K. and will debut on Disney+.

Andrew Miano and Weitz are producing through their company Depth of Field along with Zemeckis’ Imagemovers.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-03-21 07:01 PM

Del Toro's Pinnochio is on Directv ppv. Surprised it existed since it got no publicity.

ddrknghtrtns 03-04-21 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 13900069)
Del Toro's Pinnochio is on Directv ppv. Surprised it existed since it got no publicity.

Pay Per View still a thing?

Troy Stiffler 03-04-21 01:30 PM

Are you confusing it with the 2019 live action one? I like Del Toro a lot so you had me scrambling to look it up.

dex14 03-04-21 01:35 PM

Because it's not del Toro's.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-07-21 04:25 AM

It has Ewan McGregor, Swinton, and Blanchett in the cast with Del Toro directing when I checked the cast and crew info unless Directv messed up and gave the wrong info and I checked and it is another Pinnochio movie since their website shows the Benini version.

dex14 11-12-21 08:56 AM

Re: Disney's Pinocchio - Live Action (2022, D: Zemeckis) S: Tom Hanks

DJariya 03-09-22 12:48 PM

A still from today's Disney Investor meeting

Eric F 03-09-22 01:03 PM

When will they cast Hanks as Jesus?

CyberpunkCentra 03-09-22 01:24 PM

Wait, Zemeckis is directing this? How did I missed that?

E Unit 03-09-22 01:29 PM

Keeping the original look for the boy. I’m thinking that’s a good idea.

devilshalo 03-09-22 01:59 PM

I think Tom's too safe a bet as Geppetto.. though I don't think he'd be in this much. I would have liked Cranston instead.

Mike86 03-09-22 03:32 PM

Wow this could be a surprise. I haven’t watched any of the live action Disney remakes yet, but the Pinocchio “puppet” looks good. Hanks is usually solid and Zemeckis is an underrated director.

Eric F 03-09-22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14071871)
Wow this could be a surprise. I haven’t watched any of the live action Disney remakes yet, but the Pinocchio “puppet” looks good. Hanks is usually solid and Zemeckis is an underrated director.

I'm skeptical. With the exception of Jungle Book, I can't think of another live-action Disney remake that I've liked.