Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Steven Caple Jr.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Steven Caple Jr.)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
re: Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Steven Caple Jr.)

Originally Posted by funkyryno
Why does this need to be rebooted? Why can't we just get the Gobots movie everybody has been asking for?
GTFO with that Gobots talk

Old 02-20-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mabuse
In the pilot episode of the original series it’s established that Transformers are sentient robots who live on a planet. They all have a humonoid robot mode and an alternative mode that is functional. Various alien looking vehicles, laser cannons, etc. When they crash on Earth their onboard computer “repairs” them and changes their alternative mode to something more practical to Earth. It’s not necessarily to hide them, since they very quickly become known to the world. It’s just their nature. They transform. It’s their science.
Oh yeah that's right. That's why there are dinobots because they were awake during the dinosaur age.
Old 02-20-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I was out midway through #2. The first movie was utter garbage. I only made it about :45 minutes into the second one before returning the rental. Scripts, acting, direction... all garbage. The worst part was Bay's ridiculous "walking scrap heap with a voice" robot designs.

So put me in the "open to a reboot" camp.
Old 02-20-18, 09:44 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Oh yeah that's right. That's why there are dinobots because they were awake during the dinosaur age.
Huh!? Dinobots were built by the Autobots. They discovered some dinosaur bones on earth and were inspired.
Old 02-21-18, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Huh!? Dinobots were built by the Autobots. They discovered some dinosaur bones on earth and were inspired.
You're right again. I need to rewatch the cartoons.
Old 02-21-18, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

In the pilot episode of the original series it’s established that Transformers are sentient robots who live on a planet. They all have a humonoid robot mode and an alternative mode that is functional. Various alien looking vehicles, laser cannons, etc. When they crash on Earth their onboard computer “repairs” them and changes their alternative mode to something more practical to Earth. It’s not necessarily to hide them, since they very quickly become known to the world. It’s just their nature. They transform. It’s their science.
It just doesn't make any sense. Why does Soundwave turn into a cassette recorder? Granted he turned into a lamp post before but still, that seems like a really crappy alt mode. Megatron as well, he turns into a gun, but it's somehow sized to fit transformer hands and he needs someone to fire him.

It's like my son asked me why all these characters died in the cartoon movie from shots that they took, no problem, in the regular cartoon. Because toys. It's always because they need to sell toys. Or in the Bumblebee movie scanning thing, they needed to promote the new camaro.

The IDW comics explores early on the concept of them hiding from the humans, but the problem, again, is that that puts the focus on humans, and I want to read about/watch giant robots, not lame humans.
Old 02-21-18, 05:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone explain to me why we need a Bumblebee movie if we're about to get a reboot?
Old 02-22-18, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
Someone explain to me why we need a Bumblebee movie if we're about to get a reboot?
I keep wondering the same thing. Just one last cash grab before the hiatus, I guess.
Old 02-22-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk

It was too far in the planning stages before they could pull the plug once the dreadful box office numbers for Transformers 2017 (I seriously don't remember the name of it they've become that generic) came in.

Therefore they leak this reboot news but then they recently retracted it. Therefore they are hoping to assure fans that they hear their concerns and are trying to do something about it while at the same time trying to salvage a decent box office from the bumblebee solo movie.

That's my theory anyways.
Old 02-23-18, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was never of the Transformer generation anyway, but are these things anything like the cartoon? I rented them and felt ripped off for the couple bucks rental. I can't believe what terrible movies they are and my taste runs as shallow as a kiddie pool.
Old 02-23-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
It just doesn't make any sense. Why does Soundwave turn into a cassette recorder? Granted he turned into a lamp post before but still, that seems like a really crappy alt mode. Megatron as well, he turns into a gun, but it's somehow sized to fit transformer hands and he needs someone to fire him.

It's like my son asked me why all these characters died in the cartoon movie from shots that they took, no problem, in the regular cartoon. Because toys. It's always because they need to sell toys. Or in the Bumblebee movie scanning thing, they needed to promote the new camaro.

The IDW comics explores early on the concept of them hiding from the humans, but the problem, again, is that that puts the focus on humans, and I want to read about/watch giant robots, not lame humans.
Transformers are able to mass-shift to an extent, so Megaton can probably change his gun mode size to whatever hand is being fitted. Sound wave was probably one of the best toys of the original line. That cassette form was perfect for the 1980s. Changing him to a Satellite in the new movies was one of the few good ideas because it fit the character's role.
Old 01-27-20, 05:45 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Paramount Pictures is looking to revamp its “Transformers” franchise in a big way, as sources tell Variety two simultaneous scripts are now in active development: one by James Vanderbilt and one by Joby Harold.

Paramount’s most recent take on the franchise was 2018’s “Bumblebee,” a coming-of-age tale that was produced on a smaller budget than other “Transformers” films. That different approach went over well with both critics and audiences, grossing $465 million worldwide and opening up a new opportunity to continue the franchise, with the studio now expanding the “Transformers” universe with the development of two scripts.

Details behind both scripts are still vague, but sources say they present an opportunity build out multiple storylines within the franchise.

No directors have been attached to either script and it’s also likely that both projects will feature brand-new casts.

“Transformers” has been one of Paramount’s biggest draws since the franchise was launched in 2007, grossing more than $4 billion worldwide over the course of five films. Following the release of 2017’s “Transformers: The Last Knight,” director Michael Bay parted ways with the series to focus on new original material. After that, the studio decided to do a full revamp of the property, starting with a writers’ room that would develop multiple ways to pursue a new film, leading to “Bumblebee.”

The studio still views “Transformers” as a top priority, with hopes to attach directors to each script as soon as possible.

Vanderbilt has been busy jumping back and forth from writing and producing duties over the past few years, most recently penning and producing the Netflix comedy “Murder Mystery” as well as producing the Fox Searchlight horror pic “Ready or Not.” Harold has had similar duties, most recently exec producing “John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum” while also penning Zack Snyder’s “Army of the Dead.”
https://variety.com/2020/film/news/t...ld-1203482496/
Old 01-27-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

2 separate Transformers scripts being developed seems like overkill.

They had a really good thing going with Bumblebee. They should just work off that Universe and develop a follow up from that since it basically re-set everything.
Old 01-28-20, 05:43 AM

The Vanderbilt project, from what I heard, is based on Transformers spinoff Beast Wars which are robots that transform into robotic animals like Cheetor (Cheetah), Optimus Primal (Gorilla), Rhinox (Rhinoceros) and more. Vanderbilt has been on the project since April. There’s news today that one project is based in the Bumblebee universe.
https://deadline.com/2020/01/transfo...nt-1202843234/
Old 01-28-20, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

I know it’s beloved but I never got into Beast Wars. I just want G1 designs for the original Transformers (which apparently I also said in this thread 2 years ago ). It was shown it can work in Bumblebee so let’s just do more of that.
Old 05-01-20, 09:45 PM

Paramount has given a date for a new live-action Transformers movie of June 24, 2022.
https://deadline.com/2020/05/paramou...22-1202924176/
Old 11-17-20, 05:08 AM

EXCLUSIVE: Following a lengthy search, Paramount Pictures and Hasbro Studios have set Steven Caple Jr. to direct the new Transformerspic in the reinvented universe. Insiders add while negotiations have yet to begin, he is the top choice among studio execs and producers and a deal should close in the coming weeks. After meeting with several top execs including Paramount Motion Picture President Emma Watts, the studio saw Caple as the best fit for the franchise that the studio chose to revamp at the top of the year.

In January, the studio made the decision to give the entire franchise a revamp by having two simultaneous scripts that are in active development: one by James Vanderbilt and one by Joby Harold. Harold’s film eventually would be chosen as the next installment in the franchise, and once he had given his final touches on the script at the end of the summer, the studio began taking director pitches on the next film.
Old 11-17-20, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By the time Transformers hit daytime television I was too old so I missed it. The first one was enjoyable. Megan Fox obviously was hot. The entire rest of the franchise I just didn't get. They were terrible. I have the first one in 4K. I don't know if I'd bother revisiting a rebooted universe. The first time was because I was traveling on business so it was a happy accident I saw it. I hope the new version gives fans what they want but even though they were a commercial success I didn't hear a lot of accolades from those that knew the franchise. I did like the standalone Bumblebee movie, that had some heart.
Old 11-25-20, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JimRochester
By the time Transformers hit daytime television I was too old so I missed it. The first one was enjoyable. Megan Fox obviously was hot. The entire rest of the franchise I just didn't get. They were terrible. I have the first one in 4K. I don't know if I'd bother revisiting a rebooted universe. The first time was because I was traveling on business so it was a happy accident I saw it. I hope the new version gives fans what they want but even though they were a commercial success I didn't hear a lot of accolades from those that knew the franchise. I did like the standalone Bumblebee movie, that had some heart.
This is the hope that fans are hanging their hats on. The Bumblebee movie finally gave fans what they wanted G1 Transformers.
Old 11-25-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,206 Likes on 2,069 Posts

^ I didn’t really care for Bumblebee but I really liked the G1 designs so I’m hoping they stick with them over the sharp jagged metal, crumpled tin foil, designs of the Bay movies.

If they want to bring back Steinfeld I’d be ok with that too...
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (04-06-21)
Old 04-01-21, 06:05 PM

Following news that the studio was already in development on a separate Transformers movie from Charm City Kings Angel Manuel Soto, its other film looks to have found its lead. Sources tell Deadline, that Anthony Ramos is in final negotiations to star in a Transformers movie for Paramount, eOne and Hasbro that has Steven Caple Jr. is directing. Last week it was announced the studio was also developing an untitled pic from Soto that would be completely different from this pic and it has always been the plan to have multiple projects in pre-production at the same time. They are also developing an animated pic from Toy Story 4 director Josh Cooley.

Last January, the studio made the decision to give the entire franchise a revamp by having two simultaneous scripts that are in active development: one by James Vanderbilt and one by Joby Harold. Harold’s film eventually would be chosen as the next installment in the franchise and after meeting with several directors this past fall, Caple was tapped to lead this new series and essentially putting this film in the position to be the next live-action Transformers pic to go into production.

While execs will now look to do screen and chemistry tests with his female co-star, Ramos always seemed to be the top choice from the day Caple came aboard. Those tests with possible co-stars will happen soon with decision on that casting coming next month. Sources Kiki Layne and Dominque Fishback are among those meeting for the role.
https://deadline.com/2021/04/transfo...os-1234724604/
Old 04-01-21, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going to get ahead of the curve:

Release the [insert whoever's script doesn't get made] cut!!
John Pannozzi (04-06-21)
Old 04-01-21, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

I'll need to check out Bumblebee based on people's reactions here. Saw the first couple Transformer movies and had not interest seeing the last couple.
Old 04-01-21, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rexinnih
I'll need to check out Bumblebee based on people's reactions here. Saw the first couple Transformer movies and had not interest seeing the last couple.
I love it. By far the best Transformers movie. It's included on Amazon Prime.
John Pannozzi (04-06-21)
Old 04-02-21, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Bumblebee is what the first Transformers movie in 2007 should have been -- set in the 1980s with the classic G1 designs.
John Pannozzi (04-06-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.