Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Steven Caple Jr.)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 02:23 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

If you’re a big fan of Michael Bay‘s take on the Transformers franchise, as has been on explosive display on the big screen for five movies over more than 10 years, I have some bad news for you: That line is probably coming to a close as Hasbro and Paramount reportedly look to reset the feature franchise following the upcoming Bumblebee movie, which is due out this December. Don’t feel too badly for the studios; they did rake in a combined $4.38 billion from ticket sales alone.

Now, if you’re of the opinion that the live-action Transformers movies have been all sorts of garish lights and sounds signifying nothing, then this could come as good news. Let’s keep in mind that we haven’t heard official word one way or the other just yet, but as Transformer World reports, the plans to reboot the franchise were first announced during Hasbro’s investor preview for the 2018 New York Toy Fair. It’s looking like the untitled Transformers 6, a sequel to the kitchen-sink of many world mythologies that was Transformers: The Last Knight, has been pulled from Hasbro and Paramount’s schedule. And that’s just for starters.

TFW’s report states that Hasbro specifically mentioned that “a new team at Paramount will reset the Transformers Live-Action Movie Series following the release of Bumblebee: The Movie.” That means no new Transformers movies for the foreseeable future; the years between 2018 and at least 2021 will be a drought for Autobots and Decepticons alike. There’s also a new agreement between Hasbro and Paramount, one which has the toy company receiving greater creative control of their content and greenlighting of movies.
http://collider.com/transformers-reb...mblebee-movie/
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/16/t...w-event-358628
Old 02-16-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (2023, D: Steven Caple Jr.)

Good for the studios they made money, but after the first one they just got progressively dumber and harder to follow. Two was terrible, three was better than two but not by much then all hell broke loose. Other than the fat paycheck, can't believe Wahlberg was in these things. It certainly wasn't for the art.
Old 02-16-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought they were easy to follow. The second film was produced during the writer's strike. The third movie was the best. The last two with Wahlberg were alright. But I could feel it getting tired.

I'm more interested in seeing what Michael Bay does next.
Old 02-16-18, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I only kind of liked the first one. It was dumb fun but overall enjoyable enough for what it was. The sequels got worse and worse as they came. I didn’t like the second at all, the third is very forgettable, fourth felt like desperation to continue onwards without their previous star. I never saw the fifth.
Old 02-16-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

As long as they don't make the robots look like hot piles of garbage, I'm all for it.

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler:

Could totally have the G1 designs and work in the real world.
Old 02-16-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Yeah, something like G1 designs is the only thing I'd be interested, and keep the humans to a minimum.
Old 02-16-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
As long as they don't make the robots look like hot piles of garbage, I'm all for it.
Same here.

In the Michael Bay films they all looked like a bunch of shredded foil.

I don't need them to be exactly like the cartoon, but I want them to at least have some strong semblance. Maybe even have faces.
Old 02-16-18, 05:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

They really weren't Transformers movies. The vehicles, the design of the robots, the kinds of stories, none of it resembled the tv show or toy line. Only the names were kept.

I stopped watching after the first one because it was plain to see they'd made the film in name only.
Old 02-16-18, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts

I was fine with the Autobots, it was the Decepticons that had issues for me.
Old 02-16-18, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The first Transformers movie from Michael Bay was pretty good. If Michael Bay had made them like the G1 cartoon without being too boxy it would have been perfect.

But the sequels got way too messy and I didn't care for them.

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler:

That is perfect! I hope that if they do reboot this series the transformers will be just like that and not a shredded mess.

Also agree that less humans is better but they should have a nice bond with Spike and his father like in the cartoon.

Originally Posted by Mabuse
They really weren't Transformers movies. The vehicles, the design of the robots, the kinds of stories, none of it resembled the tv show or toy line. Only the names were kept.

I stopped watching after the first one because it was plain to see they'd made the film in name only.

Same here I stopped watching and only saw the first.
Old 02-16-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

As much as I disliked the humans when I was a kid, I think you need humans, mainly because
a) They're cheaper to hire and film
b) If you really want the classic forms (and the car sponsorships), they need to be earth based

I just want a Bumblebee that can actually talk, that was the most annoying thing about the movies to me.
Old 02-16-18, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree with everyone else, I'd much prefer G1 type of designs. I lost interest in even checking out the spectacle of these movies after the 3rd one. I'd be happy to see a reboot.
Old 02-16-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As an aside, I introduced my young son to non-movie transformers some time ago, we've been going over the old Sunbow cartoons (which are mostly terrible) and playing with the classics lineup of reimagined 80s and 90s toys (that Trypticon is amazing). And of course we watched the greatest Transformers movie of all time (which also happens to have the greatest soundtrack of all time).

And he was absolutely terrified by movie Bumblebee and Optimus Prime at Universal Studios. I mean more terrified than he was of the raptors.
Old 02-16-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Yeah, the movie Transformers all look like demons from Robot Hell.
Old 02-19-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Spoilered for size:

Spoiler:

Yup. And the crazy thing is that that thing is a toy. An actually working transforming honest to goodness toy. So if they can make a toy look that good and still look picture perfect in both robot mode and vehicle mode there is no way they can't make it work in a multibillion dollar movie franchise. I really hope the Micheal Bay transformers aesthetic dies a horrible death.

I absolutely loved the first one. Maybe it was Peter Cullen or just the novelty of seeing Transformers in "real life" but it was awesome. It was a precipitous drop from there. The main thing I don't understand is why did they keep getting longer? It would have been much more tolerable if it was just a guilty pleasure type of movie of robot on robot action for 90 mins. But they had to take themselves too seriously and keep piling on the crap.

I'm looking forward to a few years without any transformers and for them to reboot the series with G1 or at least sensible design aesthetics. Hopefully Peter Cullen will still be around as that's one of the few things they got right.
Old 02-19-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

As long as Peter Cullen is still alive and voicing Optimus Prime, I'll see a Transformers movie.

If they do plan to reboot the series, I agree they need to do something about the design of the Transformers.
Old 02-19-18, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I liked about the cartoon and toy Transformers is that in their robot mode, you could mostly tell what their alt-mode was.
In the live-action film, once they transform they kind of all looked alike.

And it was weird, from a story point of view, how Bumblebee in the first one just scanned a new Camaro, and suddenly could transform into a new Camaro.

Why don't they do that all the time, to be disguised even better? Could they all do that? The cartoon made it seem like their alt-modes were permanent.
Old 02-19-18, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean the reason they don't just constantly scan things is because... they're toys. That's it. They try to justify the transforming and all but who the heck are they disguising themselves from, especially later on when there are just full scale battles all over the place.
Old 02-20-18, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
What I liked about the cartoon and toy Transformers is that in their robot mode, you could mostly tell what their alt-mode was.
In the live-action film, once they transform they kind of all looked alike.

And it was weird, from a story point of view, how Bumblebee in the first one just scanned a new Camaro, and suddenly could transform into a new Camaro.

Why don't they do that all the time, to be disguised even better? Could they all do that? The cartoon made it seem like their alt-modes were permanent.

That's the biggest problem with the design. It's not even a matter of preference but practicality. Especially with the Decepticons you can't tell what's going on because it looks like a big giant gray mess. The autobots were better because of the variation in their color schemes.

Yes transformers scan things to disguise themselves. I don't remember when this was established but it was mentioned in the Beast Wars series and again in Transformers Prime (which is an AWESOME series, every Transformer fan has to watch this, much better than the original show and don't worry the kid side kicks become much less of a focus as the series goes on).

And yeah the whole transforming for disguise thing is a loose thread you shouldn't pull on too hard
Old 02-20-18, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Once Mark Wahlberg got involved, I was out. A reboot is needed after the last two films.
Old 02-20-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean the reason they don't just constantly scan things is because... they're toys. That's it.
Yeah, they were toys from a bunch of different lines, so that was just a tagline. The cartoon explained WHY they transformed but it wasn't for disguise.

They try to justify the transforming and all but who the heck are they disguising themselves from, especially later on when there are just full scale battles all over the place.
I just thought it would have been interesting if they somehow played up the "robots in disguise" angle. Maybe less constant full scale battles over the place?

Originally Posted by tanman

Yes transformers scan things to disguise themselves. I don't remember when this was established but it was mentioned in the Beast Wars series and again in Transformers Prime (which is an AWESOME series, every Transformer fan has to watch this, much better than the original show and don't worry the kid side kicks become much less of a focus as the series goes on).
In the original cartoon The Ark that the Transformers crash land in, ended up being reactivating and redesigned all the Auotbots and Decepticons alt-modes to make them fit in with 20th century Earth technology.

And yeah the whole transforming for disguise thing is a loose thread you shouldn't pull on too hard
I'm just saying, it would be cool. But that would mean no Dinobots. But I'm okay with that.
Old 02-20-18, 04:36 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

In the pilot episode of the original series it’s established that Transformers are sentient robots who live on a planet. They all have a humonoid robot mode and an alternative mode that is functional. Various alien looking vehicles, laser cannons, etc. When they crash on Earth their onboard computer “repairs” them and changes their alternative mode to something more practical to Earth. It’s not necessarily to hide them, since they very quickly become known to the world. It’s just their nature. They transform. It’s their science.
Old 02-20-18, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So I guess no one in this thread bought Transformers The Last Knight on 4K UHD for $10 this past Black Friday
Old 02-20-18, 04:57 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
So I guess no one in this thread bought Transformers The Last Knight on 4K UHD for $10 this past Black Friday
I thought it was dog shit. But yea... I bought the 4K disc for $10.
Old 02-20-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Why does this need to be rebooted? Why can't we just get the Gobots movie everybody has been asking for?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.