Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Den of Thieves 2: Pantera (D: Gudegast) S: Butler, Jackson Jr.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-13-18, 03:54 PM

Received 4,555 Likes on 3,090 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: They are thick as thieves and coming together for yet another heist: Gerard Butler, Tucker Tooley, Mark Canton, Alan Siegel, Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson and director Christian Gudegast with O’Shea Jackson, Jr. (who is in negotiations) have pacted to return for a sequel to the heist thriller Den of Thieves. The project, which will be distributed by STX worldwide and financed by Diamond Film Productions, is being written by Gudegast from an original idea.

Den of Thieves 2, which will also be directed again by Gudegast, will find Big Nick (Butler) on the hunt in the streets of Europe closing in on Donnie (Jackson Jr.) who is embroiled in the dangerous world of diamond thieves and the infamous Panther mafia, as they plot a massive heist of the world’s biggest diamond exchange.

Canton and Tooley will produce the sequel with Butler and Siegel’s production company G-BASE. Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson will produce through his production company G-Unit Film & Television, Inc.

The original Den of Thieves over-performed at the box office when it was released last month. The film, which took Tooley and Canton about 15 years to bring to the screen, has yet to finish out its international run (it has about 35 markets yet to go). Worldwide, the film has grossed $57M so far.

The original cost around $30M before P&A with an $25M+ P&A backstopped by Diamond Films which also provided gap financing. Roughly 60% of the budget was covered by pre-sales and a tax incentive brought it to roughly 70%.

There is plenty of audience growth which was made evident by the release of the first film and the exit polling which showed equal interest from all male audience quads.

For STX, the first film set a new milestone for STX in the U.K. market last weekend when it became the first of the company’s films to open bigger than £1M.

Gudegast is repped by WME, Management 360, and Patrick Knapp; Tooley is repped by WME and Patrick Knapp. Diamond Film Productions is repped by Glenn D. Feig of Reder & Feig LLP. Butler is repped by CAA and Alan Siegel Entertainment and Jackson Jr. is by WME. Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson & G-Unit Film & Television Inc. are repped by APA and attorneys Stephen J. Savva and Eric Feig.
http://deadline.com/2018/02/den-of-t...on-1202287504/
Old 02-13-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts
re: Den of Thieves 2: Pantera (D: Gudegast) S: Butler, Jackson Jr.

I'm in!

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 02-13-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Now with even more thieves!

And an upgraded den.
Old 02-13-18, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'm in!
Legit question. Would you fuck Gerard Butler?
Old 02-13-18, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Legit question. Would you fuck Gerard Butler?

No. I'm not gay.
Old 02-13-18, 05:05 PM

No. I'm not gay.
Idk man... you seem to have a real hard on for all things Butler.
Old 02-13-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Idk man... you seem to have a real hard on for all things Butler.
I think his films are entertaining as hell. The only films I have not seen of his that I won't bother with is the rom-com bullshit like that one with Aniston and Heigel. He just did a drama called Family Man or something -- won't see that either.
Old 02-13-18, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The original Den of Thieves over-performed at the box office when it was released last month. The film, which took Tooley and Canton about 15 years to bring to the screen, has yet to finish out its international run (it has about 35 markets yet to go). Worldwide, the film has grossed $57M so far.
In what universe is a worldwide gross of $57m considered "over-performing"?
Old 02-13-18, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In what universe is a worldwide gross of $57m considered "over-performing"?
In a world where this was dumped in January and was lucky to make more than only $25mil something like Triple 9 did. This is STX’s 4th highest grossing movie. It also says there are many more markets for it to open in. Budget was only around $30mil.

Setting the sequel in Europe will bring in bigger international money. They’re probably hoping for a London Has Fallen result.

Last edited by dex14; 02-13-18 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-13-18, 06:32 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I think his films are entertaining as hell. The only films I have not seen of his that I won't bother with is the rom-com bullshit like that one with Aniston and Heigel. He just did a drama called Family Man or something -- won't see that either.
Old 02-13-18, 06:34 PM

Old 02-13-18, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

#wellplayed
Old 02-13-18, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You should check out Family Man, it wasn't too bad. He needs to do more stuff like that and less shit like Geostorm.
Old 02-13-18, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

So I'm guessing Butler will probably do this one after he finishes Angel has Fallen.

As dex said, this sequel screams being made for the European market, where Butler is a draw.
Old 02-14-18, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I hope the writing is a little smarter in the sequel.
Old 02-14-18, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

So isn't this a spoiler to the first film? Haven't seen it yet. Ugh. It is now ruined for me. Oh the despair...
Old 06-04-18, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Really enjoyed the first one so I'm looking forward to this.
Old 05-16-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Den of Thieves 2: Pantera (D: Gudegast) S: Butler, Jackson Jr.

Cannes: eOne Boards 'Den of Thieves 2'

STX, which released the first entry in the Gerard Butler/O’Shea Jackson Jr. action franchise, won't be around for the second round, as Sierra/Affinity takes on international sales. Entertainment One has come on board to finance Den of Thieves 2: Pantera, the sequel to the action heist drama starring Gerard Butler and O’Shea Jackson Jr.

The 2018 original, released by STX in the U.S., grossed more than $80 million worldwide. STX was originally on board for the sequel, but has backed out. Sierra/Affinity will now handle international sales and is shopping the project to buyers in Cannes.

The Den of Thieves sequel will re-team Butler and Jackson Jr. with director Christian Gudegast. Butler will reprise his role as Big Nick Flanagan, the head of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, on the hunt for a group of sophisticated bank robbers. The sequel picks up with Big Nick tracking down the bad guys on the streets of Europe and getting closer to capturing Donnie (Jackson). Donnie, meanwhile, has become caught up in the dangerous world of diamond thieves and the Panther mafia, as a heist on the world's largest diamond exchange is being planned. Meadow Williams will also reprise her role as Holly in the film.

eOne and Tucker Tooley Entertainment will finance the movie, which is set to begin production later this year. Tucker Tooley, Mark Canton, Alan Siegel and Butler will produce the sequel, with Williams executive producing. Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson, who co-starred in the first Den of Thieves, is expected to work on the sequel in a production capacity.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...eves-2-1211184
Old 09-10-21, 12:27 PM

However, for Big Nick’s fans out there, Den of Thieves 2 is definitely coming and we’ve got some details, albeit no firm release date.

‘We’re supposed to shoot early next year. We’re Europe-bound, we’re still on the hunt for Donnie who’s now on the diamond district in Marseilles. I go over to hunt him down, but with different intentions than you might imagine. So we’re gonna be in Marseilles, the Alps and London – it’s definitely a more glamorous journey than the last one, and probably a more fun, sexy journey.’
https://www.unilad.co.uk/news/gerard...ynolds-movies/

Also… Gerard Butler “doesn’t watch Ryan Reynolds movies.”
Old 09-10-21, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

I liked the first one a lot but I liked it because it was a bit more realistic and gritty. I’m not sure I’m as excited for a more stylized, more fun, and sexier (?) sequel.
Old 02-02-22, 02:06 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Action sequel Den Of Thieves 2: Pantera is gearing up for a late spring shoot in Serbia and France, we can reveal.

Gerard Butler (Angel Has Fallen), O’Shea Jackson Jr (Straight Outta Compton) and Meadow Williams (Boss Level) are back for the sequel and will be joined by Swen Temmel (After), while Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson is expected to join as a producer.

Butler returns as Big Nick (Butler), this time on the hunt in Europe for Donnie (Jackson Jr.) who is embroiled in the dangerous world of diamond thieves and the infamous Panther mafia as they plot a massive heist of the world’s biggest diamond exchange.

Christian Gudegast returns as writer-director. As he did before the first film, we hear Gudegast has researched for the project by spending time with notorious thieves and the investigators that hunt them.

Sierra/Affinity is continuing international sales at the upcoming virtual EFM after first launching the project at Cannes 2019. Some deals have already been inked with international buyers but the U.S. remains in play with multiple suitors currently weighing up a move for the project, we understand.

The original film’s producers, which include Tucker Tooley, Alan Siegel and Gerard Butler, are expected to produce with Diamond Film Productions. Diamond Films’ Meadow Williams will executive-produce with Temmel and Glenn Feig.

The original movie was released in 2018 and grossed $80M worldwide.
https://deadline.com/2022/02/den-thi...ot-1234924849/
The following users liked this post:
devilshalo (02-03-22)
Old 05-17-23, 04:37 PM

With the restructuring of STX, filming on this was delayed. They now have a new distributor.

EXCLUSIVE: Briarcliff Entertainment has acquired U.S. distribution rights to Christian Gudegast’s action thriller sequel, Den of Thieves 2: Pantera which stars Gerard Butler and O’Shea Jackson Jr. reprising their respective roles of “Big Nick” and “Donnie”. A wide theatrical release is planned for Q4 of 2024.

Gudegast also wrote the screenplay for the production which was financed by eOne and Tucker Tooley Entertainment.

In the sequel, Big Nick is back on the hunt on the mean-streets of Europe closing in on Donnie who is embroiled in the dangerous world of diamond thieves and the infamous Panther mafia, as they plot a massive heist of the world’s biggest diamond exchange. The original 2018 movie, also directed and written by Gudegast, and released by STX, made a near $45M stateside and over $80M WW.

“We are tremendous fans of Gerard Butler, who we’ve worked with numerous times, and are so thrilled to be on board with him, Christian Gudegast, Producer Tucker Tooley and the amazing supporting cast. Films like this make going to the theater fun, and we can’t wait to give moviegoers the chance to see it on the big screen,” said Briarcliff’s CEO Tom Ortenberg.

Said Tooley: “We are thrilled to be working with Tom and his team on Den of Thieves 2: Pantera. Today’s theatrical landscape is tricky, and it takes innovation to break through. With Tom’s incredible track record and experience we feel like this exciting sequel will be in good hands.”

Tooley produced through his Tucker Tooley Entertainment, along with Butler and Alan Siegel of G-BASE, and Mark Canton.

The deal was negotiated by Ortenberg and Jessica Rose on behalf of Briarcliff Entertainment and by Rosalind Read of eOne on behalf of the filmmakers. Sierra Affinity will manage international sales of the film.
https://deadline.com/2023/05/den-of-...al-1235370005/
Old 05-17-23, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Yeah Briarcliff distributed a few recent Liam Neeson movies.
Old 05-17-23, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck, Q4 of 2024? Shocking that Universal isn't distributing since they distributed the first film years ago now it seems.
Old 05-18-23, 05:05 AM

Fuck, Q4 of 2024? Shocking that Universal isn't distributing since they distributed the first film years ago now it seems.
No they didn't. STX distributed theatrically and (because they were a smaller distributor) had a home video deal with Universal.