Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

In the Shadow of the Moon (2019, D: Mickle) S: Holbrook, Coleman, Hall -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

In the Shadow of the Moon (2019, D: Mickle) S: Holbrook, Coleman, Hall -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 06:52 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<iframe width="690" height="388" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lJ3_biTbeRM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In 1988, Philadelphia police officer Thomas Lockhart (Boyd Holbrook), hungry to become a detective, begins tracking a serial killer who mysteriously resurfaces every nine years. But when the killer's crimes begin to defy all scientific explanation, Lock's obsession with finding the truth threatens to destroy his career, his family, and possibly his sanity. Directed by Jim Mickle and also starring Michael C. Hall and Cleopatra Coleman, IN THE SHADOW OF THE MOON is a genre-blending psychological thriller that examines the power of time, and how its passing can either bring us together or tear us apart.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8110640/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/in_..._the_moon_2019

From the creator and director of Hap and Leonard and Cold in July.
Old 09-26-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts
Re: In the Shadow of the Moon (2019, D: Mickle) S: Holbrook, Coleman, Hall -- Netflix

Cold in July was amazing. I'll give this a look just based on that.
Old 09-26-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts
Re: In the Shadow of the Moon (2019, D: Mickle) S: Holbrook, Coleman, Hall -- Netflix

I see Toronto's famous 'hidden' subway station makes yet another movie appearance, which tells me this wasn't shot in whatever city it's supposed to be set in.
Old 10-06-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Watched this today. It was a good watch, but I’m mixed on the outcome.

Production was well made, and the actors did a good job playing the characters through different time periods. The plot kept moving, and it didn’t feel sluggish. I was definitely invested in the story, and was caught off guard with a few moments in the film.

However, the end left me with a very “meh” feeling.
Spoiler:
I think it’s inferred that his grand daughter is able to avert the spark that started the revolutionary downfall. We know they off the main guy that wrote everything, but it’s unclear if that’s successful - everything just reversed itself before the explosion. His granddaughter said she can’t go forward in time until it’s finished. Did she complete the mission but still die before she could go home?

plus, that means everything was set in stone, and there wasn’t a means to change anything. I guess I was expecting some loop back where Locke would be able to undo events, correct his earlier life, and save his grand daughter.

plus he had repeated dreams about his wife, which didn’t seem to go anywhere...

I’d say good story and idea, but poor execution at the end. I’m not sure they knew how to end things, or if they did I felt very underwhelmed.
Old 10-08-19, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Cold in July was amazing. I'll give this a look just based on that.
Yeah, holy shit. Talk about a movie taking you on a wild ride. I saw none of it coming.
I'll check this out.
Old 10-08-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Ultimately not a fan of this one - despite a solid cast (including a sadly underutilized Rachel Keller).
The setup was interesting, but from that point there were just too many plot gaps that I couldn't get past - and I typically am very forgiving for such holes.
Old 10-08-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I was buying in through the first half — some great concepts and good execution (despite some tropes). I started to lose interest in the second half, though I’m not sure why.