Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.00%
18.89%
45.56%
13.33%
6.67%
3.33%
2.22%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Re: Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by JimRochester
On the local news they showcased a teacher in a primarily black, city school with a GoFundMe to take students to see Black Panther. When I tried to find it there were some 4070 like funds. I'm all for students getting out and seeing it but one interview bothered me. I know it is just a clip. But the student mentioned never seeing a black super hero before. Dude, you're dissing War Machine and Falcon. I realize they are supporting characters but they are still super heroes and I think Falcon adds a ton to the story.
To some degree I agree. I don't get how Wonder Woman and Black Panther can be such rallying cries for their respective groups. If anything I think it's funny how people would rally behind comic book movies for something like gender or racial equality. Like I can't believe that it's taken a comic book movie to bring that to the forefront. As progressive as they claim to be Hollywood is really backwards when it comes to that. I think the audience has changed before the old guard in Hollywood has and that's why when they finally made these movies they exploded in popularity. But yeah they are not the first and it's a disservice to those that came before it. Plus is it really healthy to be basing so much hope in a fictional African country?

But on the other hand after watching the movie. I think it is much more than Black Panther in name or character alone. The way how the entire principle cast is black as well as the director, and how much African cultures inspired the look of the country and costumes and characters and the way the movie doesn't shy away from current challenges of the black community I think it was much more significant then I had realized.

Also I thought the Freeman character was a nice flip on the "typical" black side kick character. They should have had another white character who gets killed off early in the movie for no good reason.
Old 03-12-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

On the local news they showcased a teacher in a primarily black, city school with a GoFundMe to take students to see Black Panther. When I tried to find it there were some 4070 like funds. I'm all for students getting out and seeing it but one interview bothered me. I know it is just a clip. But the student mentioned never seeing a black super hero before. Dude, you're dissing War Machine and Falcon. I realize they are supporting characters but they are still super heroes and I think Falcon adds a ton to the story.
That bolded part is the key. It really is...
Old 03-12-18, 01:33 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Meteor Man was no supporting character...
Old 03-12-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
agree - there is quite a difference between a secondary character/sidekick and the main honcho in a movie. Yes, Falcon and War Machine were great, and they contributed to the story - but they were not THE story.
Old 03-12-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tanman
To some degree I agree. I don't get how Wonder Woman and Black Panther can be such rallying cries for their respective groups. If anything I think it's funny how people would rally behind comic book movies for something like gender or racial equality. Like I can't believe that it's taken a comic book movie to bring that to the forefront.
When you've been able to see 1000's of films and tv shows with White Male Lead heroes, some with minority SIDE KICKS, almost all saving WOMEN IN DISTRESS as "the standard" for the past what? 100 years? .... it's easy to understand why a segment of the population would not get why Wonder Woman and Black Panther are such a big deal because...

YOU DON"T HAVE TOO.

The stage has belonged to the white male lead forever. So in Women Woman we have a strong (literally) female lead NOT in distress to be saved by a man; and in Black Panther, Blacks have a hero is not just some white man's side kick...

Plus is it really healthy to be basing so much hope in a fictional African country?
Seriously? Why not? Are we going to pretend like Fiction/Science Fiction has never inspired people and situations in real life changes? Real life Science? Real life Politics? Let's tell Gene Roddenberry his Fake ASS Star Trek didn't inspire 1000's of men AND women to go into STEM.

Look, Black folks and Africans are excited because this is a rare case where Africa is represented in a "good way". The left a lot of stereotypes out of BP and gave us a rare look into the world of Afrofuturism

But on the other hand after watching the movie. I think it is much more than Black Panther in name or character alone. The way how the entire principle cast is black as well as the director, and how much African cultures inspired the look of the country and costumes and characters and the way the movie doesn't shy away from current challenges of the black community I think it was much more significant then I had realized.
Yes...
I've been trying to say this on dvdtalk for months. It's a big deal for Blacks AND many in African nations have responded positively as well.

REPRESENTATION MATTERS...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-12-18 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Brack
Meteor Man was no supporting character...
Sigh....Neither was Lara Croft or Blade. But the time and climate was right for Wonder Woman and Black Panther*.

(* Blade has always been a big deal as a Black hero lead in the Black community)
Old 03-12-18, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts

I don't think it's just superhero movies, but superheroes are characters that (hopefully) kids can look up to (since we're talking about schoolkids being excited to see the movie). I think you see a similar impact on young girls with Rey in Star Wars (not sure about Finn, though, especially in the last film).
Old 03-12-18, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
I don't think it's just superhero movies, but superheroes are characters that (hopefully) kids can look up to (since we're talking about schoolkids being excited to see the movie). I think you see a similar impact on young girls with Rey in Star Wars (not sure about Finn, though, especially in the last film).

good point. I think the fact that Wonder Woman, Rey, and Black Panther are all in MAJOR high profile film releases. Not just some low budget small flicks that no-one has heard of.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-12-18 at 05:55 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Absolutely. I understand this is the first modern blockbuster superhero film with an African American lead actor and a black character. It is also based in an African environment which makes it truly unique. It just would have been more technically accurate to say headlining a movie instead of saying he'd never seen one at all before this.
Old 03-12-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

good point. I think the fact that Wonder Woman, Rey, and Black Panther are all in MAJOR high profile film releases. No just some low budget small flicks that no-one has heard of.
And the fact that they are all PG-13 films and generally family friendly is big.

You can talk about Blade and Sarah Conner all you want, but nobody was taking 8 year old kids to those movies. Positive mainstream role models for young girls and kids of color is huge.
Old 03-12-18, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Absolutely. I understand this is the first modern blockbuster superhero film with an African American lead actor and a black character. It is also based in an African environment which makes it truly unique. It just would have been more technically accurate to say headlining a movie instead of saying he'd never seen one at all before this.
How old was the kid? Maybe he's not familiar with Blade(before his time?).

And I can totally see Falcon and War Machine not registering because frankly, these characters disappear to some degree surrounded by all the Major Lead White characters.
Old 03-12-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

God dammit!!! I'm not sure if this is an Onion article, talking about the cinematography/post production/palette choices, or the skin tones of the Black Actors.

“A torture for the eyes”: Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black

Some moviegoers disliked Black Panther because they felt Marvel was trying too hard to be politically correct (link in Chinese). While many reviewers on Douban stopped short of leaving overtly racist comments about the film, many discussed their discomfort of being surrounded by so much blackness.

“Maybe the Chinese are still not used to a film full of black people,” wrote one reviewer on Douban (link in Chinese). The commenter said he had to pinch himself more than 10 times to stay awake during the movie because “Black Panther is black, all the major characters are black, a lot of scenes are black, the car-chasing scene is black—the blackness has really made me drowsy.”
Old 03-12-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How old was the kid? Maybe he's not familiar with Blade(before his time?).

And I can totally see Falcon and War Machine not registering because frankly, these characters disappear to some degree surrounded by all the Major Lead White characters.
Looked like later teens high school. Falcon was pretty prominent in Winter Soldier, almost to the point of being his partner. Civil War they all kind of got lost in the sauce.
Old 03-12-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

God dammit!!! I'm not sure if this is an Onion article, talking about the cinematography/post production/palette choices, or the skin tones of the Black Actors.

“A torture for the eyes”: Chinese moviegoers think Black Panther is just too black
Yeah, but they knew what the deal would be in that part of the world. Korea seemed to receive it fine, although they did film an entire scene there.
Old 03-12-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by tanman
Plus is it really healthy to be basing so much hope in a fictional African country?

Found this by chance after I posted a response to this comment. I guess lotsa folks can't allow for Blacks to be inspired by Science Fiction/Fictional Settings. TIs' jsut too much to wrap their heads around. I mean shit, they're apparently hearing the doubt enough to make a meme.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-12-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-12-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, but they knew what the deal would be in that part of the world. Korea seemed to receive it fine, although they did film an entire scene there.
Sure. I guess I've NEVER heard a Black person say, that film was too Chinese...
Old 03-12-18, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

China also didn't like The Last Jedi because the actors weren't beautiful enough
Old 03-12-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure. I guess I've NEVER heard a Black person say, that film was too Chinese...
Not even for, say Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or a film like that (maybe that's a bad example because it's mostly action...)?
Old 03-12-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not even for, say Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon or a film like that (maybe that's a bad example because it's mostly action...)?
Nope.
Old 03-12-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's interesting because it still won the weekend in China: https://thinkprogress.org/black-pant...-8832e6b4c111/
Old 03-12-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Martial arts films have been a big draw for African American audiences going back decades. Wu Tang Clan isn’t some one-off thing.
Old 03-12-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Martial arts films have been a big draw for African American audiences going back decades. Wu Tang Clan isn’t some one-off thing.
Yeah I was trying to think of some popular Chinese film in the US that doesn't revolve around martial arts and had a tough time of it.
Old 03-12-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Old 03-12-18, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Yeah I was trying to think of some popular Chinese film in the US that doesn't revolve around martial arts and had a tough time of it.
Well, I doubt there was a black audience for Joy Luck Club.
Old 03-12-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Well, I doubt there was a black audience for Joy Luck Club.
What few there were still didn't complain about "too much yellow" or "too Chinese" though..

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.