Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.59%
17.65%
47.06%
14.12%
4.71%
3.53%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-20-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I wasn’t very familiar with the character prior to the film and never realized his powers came from a potion. I found that part pretty clear in the movie though.
Old 05-20-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

^ How is that clear? The movie showed him with his powers at the beginning before he took the potion. Then after he took the potion he took another potion to take his powers away. And then near the end he takes another potion to give his powers back. All that mixed in with the mini ceremonial potions he kept drinking. It was needlessly confusing.

I just finished watching that “pitch meeting” video posted above. They mentioned it briefly as well which gives a little more credence to that fact that I didn’t just miss a perfectly understandable plot point.
Old 05-20-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

I guess I just put it together. If a potion took his powers away and taking it again brought them back it seemed logical that he must have taken it to begin with. It also showed it twice with Killmonger getting his powers the same way.
Old 05-20-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

T'Challa has the Panther powers at the start of the movie. They don't state this, but my assumption from the events of Civil War is that he had been acting as Black Panther for some time, even though his father was still the king.

After the death of his father, they have to open the throne to challenges from the other tribe before T'Challa can ascend. He drinks potion #1 to take away his powers before the challenge with M'Baku.

After T'Challa wins the challenge, he takes the potion #2 to give him his powers back in a private ceremony where he officially becomes king.

T'Challa takes potion#1 again before the challenge with Killmonger.

After winning the challenge, Killmonger takes potion #2 to give him the powers of the Black Panther in a private ceremony where he officially becomes king. He also takes action at this point to destroy the remainder heart shaped herb that it is made from, but not before Nakia saves one.

When T'Challa is found, another batch of potion #2 is made from the herb that Nakia saved, and T'Challa takes it to restore his powers.

At this point, both T'Challa and Killmonger have the powers of the Black Panther, and T'Challa defeats Killmonger to regain the throne.

Presumably at this point though, there is no more heart shaped herb, so T'Challa may be the last Black Panther.

All of this was clear to me on first viewing.
Old 05-20-18, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
T'Challa has the Panther powers at the start of the movie. They don't state this, but my assumption from the events of Civil War is that he had been acting as Black Panther for some time, even though his father was still the king.

After the death of his father, they have to open the throne to challenges from the other tribe before T'Challa can ascend. He drinks potion #1 to take away his powers before the challenge with M'Baku.

After T'Challa wins the challenge, he takes the potion #2 to give him his powers back in a private ceremony where he officially becomes king.

T'Challa takes potion#1 again before the challenge with Killmonger.

After winning the challenge, Killmonger takes potion #2 to give him the powers of the Black Panther in a private ceremony where he officially becomes king. He also takes action at this point to destroy the remainder heart shaped herb that it is made from, but not before Nakia saves one.

When T'Challa is found, another batch of potion #2 is made from the herb that Nakia saved, and T'Challa takes it to restore his powers.

At this point, both T'Challa and Killmonger have the powers of the Black Panther, and T'Challa defeats Killmonger to regain the throne.

Presumably at this point though, there is no more heart shaped herb, so T'Challa may be the last Black Panther.

Danny Kaye explains it all:

Old 05-20-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
It was clear to me as well, and I knew nothing of the Black Panther character aside from his appearance in Civil War. I thought it was fairly straightforward.
Old 05-20-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from either. There's a potion to take away powers before the combat ritual, and whomever wins drinks a potion made from those flowers to grant them. The characters in the movie explain as they happen too.
Old 05-20-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I figured it out on my own as I was watching so it’s not like I sat there completely bewildered throughout but I still find it somewhat confusing and redundant with all the “drink this potion, now drink that potion” back and forth for half the movie. Especially when T’Challa is given the expositional dialogue of what the glowy plant does presumably AFTER he’s already taken the damn thing at least once prior to the events of this movie.

And I did like the movie, I just found that particular aspect to be somewhat clunky storytelling.
Old 05-20-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I figured it out on my own as I was watching so it’s not like I sat there completely bewildered throughout but I still find it somewhat confusing and redundant with all the “drink this potion, now drink that potion” back and forth for half the movie. Especially when T’Challa is given the expositional dialogue of what the glowy plant does presumably AFTER he’s already taken the damn thing at least once prior to the events of this movie.
I think the exposition is necessary at the beginning since the audience likely doesn't know where the initial Black Panther powers come from (I know I sure didn't), but the rest of the movie is very straightforward in that regard. Maybe there was something unique to your mindset when you were watching it, since I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any reviews (here or elsewhere) mention it as an issue.

I can understand the feeling that seeing the ritual and the process multiple times doesn't jive with someone though.
Old 05-20-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I wasn’t referring to the expositional dialogue at the very beginning with the black sand, which I agree was necessary and I didn’t have an issue with it. I was referring to the expositional dialogue after the first battle for the throne when T’Challa was lying in the red sand. They basically rehashed the reason for giving him the glowing plant. It doesn’t make much sense since he’s (presumably) already undergone the Black Panther ritual.

Again, I didn’t have that much of an issue with it, it just felt redundant and clunky while watching it. Otherwise I think it was a fine movie.
Old 05-20-18, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ah, I don't recall those scenes being repetitive but I'd need to rewatch it again.
Old 05-20-18, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

^ I wasn’t referring to the expositional dialogue at the very beginning with the black sand, which I agree was necessary and I didn’t have an issue with it. I was referring to the expositional dialogue after the first battle for the throne when T’Challa was lying in the red sand. They basically rehashed the reason for giving him the glowing plant. It doesn’t make much sense since he’s (presumably) already undergone the Black Panther ritual.

Again, I didn’t have that much of an issue with it, it just felt redundant and clunky while watching it. Otherwise I think it was a fine movie.
Well it was necessary otherwise if it had happened off screen then he would have had his powers back without any explanation. Plus it further allows the audience to know whats going on when Killmonger gets the powers and when Black Panther gets his powers back.

It's kind of a dead horse at this point but I don't see how it was confusing as Forrest Whitaker's character clearly says that he will now be stripped of the powers of the Black Panther and you see him in pain and his CGI blood shot eyes. Plus clearly he needs his powers stripped otherwise it wouldn't be a fair challenge. Plus that scene sets the stage for when he and Killmonger have the challenge and sets up the character of M'baku which comes into play later.
Old 05-21-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

It's ALL RITUAL. I think the Director/Writers were trying to show the importance of this in Wakandan culture and the real life African Culture it is based on by not making it a trivial thing that happens off screen..

-Ritual...to prep for defending his position by giving the challenger a fair fight with out the BP powers
-Ritual...to give back the powers of the BP post successfully defending his position
-Ritual...earning the RIGHT to take the potion post fight AND..very important in real life African culture..to have the potion so that he can visit the Ancestors(his dead Father etc..)
Old 06-16-18, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Technically, the BD of this movie is excellent.
Unfortunately, the film itself not so much.

It has a threadbare story and a one sentence plot.
Acting is fairly good though.
Fight scenes are a little lame.
Black Panther the Superhero has pretty cool powers...it's good to see he made into the Avenger movie.

Two things really bothered me:
1) the annoying music
2) the lousy writing regarding the bringing of Bilbo to Wakanda (considering the stakes involved)...not credible.
Old 06-18-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Decided to finally watch this yesterday as it was way, way, too hot outside.

It's a solid 3 star movie. As expected, since it didn't go full cheese (like Ragnarok did), it was literally cringy (look away cringy) at moments (If you saw this in theater, don't even tell me people weren't laughing at the

barking and the preposterous going-on's during Forrest Whitaker's speech before the first challenge - that stuff could have just been handled better altogether, starting off by not rushing it).

With that said, I still love Black Panther as a superhero and absolutely loved the new suit enhancements and loved even more how they didn't overdo it. The acting was great too - to the point I want to list my fav players in order of being the best:

Michael B Jordan (Plus the name "Killmonger" is just one of the coolest villian names ever - he did a really good job and pretty much stole the show.

Letitia Wright She was just awesome - owned the screen every time she was on.

Andy Serkis From the moment he appeared, I wish he was involved more - Him and Michael B Jordan played off each other so good and I wish they had more scenes together.

Martin Freeman Even though not heavily involved, he just had a needed presence.

Chadwick So, I really like Chadwick as an actor but sadly, he was only the main attraction when the suit came on. He just seemed too relaxed the entire time. They need to work on this the next time out - it's crazy to me how the movie still worked with the lack of effectiveness with the main character.

Definitely NOT the best superhero movie ever - I'd say it's up there but not close to being the best at all - with a lot of fine tuning though, this could have EASILY been at the top of the list. It stumbled a bit but was definitely still enjoyable - while the signature Marvel humor was there - I was glad to see they didn't overdo it - this flick may be the first in the series of Marvel films to perfectly nail that aspect as well.
Old 09-05-18, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally saw this on Netflix. Expectations were probably out of whack after hearing so much praise, but it was firmly decent.

Michael B Jordan was great as always, but I still felt his character was under baked like all marvel villains. It did seem like a lot of scenes were repeated with watching the first ritual and then having to see it all again with the bad guy.

Probably some of the better acting in a Marvel movie, but plot was pretty weak. Surprised at how successful it was at the box office.
Old 09-05-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara View Post
Finally saw this on Netflix. Expectations were probably out of whack after hearing so much praise, but it was firmly decent.

Michael B Jordan was great as always, but I still felt his character was under baked like all marvel villains. It did seem like a lot of scenes were repeated with watching the first ritual and then having to see it all again with the bad guy.

Probably some of the better acting in a Marvel movie, but plot was pretty weak. Surprised at how successful it was at the box office.
Black Dollars....
Old 09-06-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Watched the first hour of this last night. It was late so I’m saving the second half for tonight.

The movie is way too talkie. Way to much verbal communication with the audience.

“I never get tired of this part.” Mother fucker, if they’d given us a spectacle that aroused our sense of awe you wouldn’t need to say that. But instead it’s just another CGI metropolis. Dumb!
Old 09-06-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Black Dollars....
Bingo.

I think anyone can of course enjoy this film--it's a Marvel movie. But this movie deals with colonialism, pan-Africanism, and the connection and at times divide between Africans and African Americans specifically.

If you aren't particularly aware of this or care about it, well, a lot of the movie is something you just can't fully appreciate.

I love a LOT of the Marvel films they've put out. But this is the first one that actually had something of importance to say besides usual topics in superhero flicks about world resources, government spying, and greed.
Old 09-06-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PacMan2006 View Post
Bingo.

I think anyone can of course enjoy this film--it's a Marvel movie. But this movie deals with colonialism, pan-Africanism, and the connection and at times divide between Africans and African Americans specifically.

If you aren't particularly aware of this or care about it, well, a lot of the movie is something you just can't fully appreciate.

I love a LOT of the Marvel films they've put out. But this is the first one that actually had something of importance to say besides usual topics in superhero flicks about world resources, government spying, and greed.
Completely agree.
I just wish the movie itself was a little better.