Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.59%
17.65%
47.06%
14.12%
4.71%
3.53%
2.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-08-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Black Panther (Coogler, 2018) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Reviewing the 19 movie line up Marvel has so far, Black Panther would be about #7 for me.
Old 05-08-18, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I liked it, but it's definitely the most overrated Marvel movie.
Im inclined to agree. Itís good but it is overrated. I like the character but honestly Iíve liked him more in his appearances outside of his solo film. Killmonger is one of the best MCU villains though. To me the film is a bit slow and never quite picks up. Iíve only seen it once though so it might grow on me. I do plan on buying the Blu-ray next week.
Old 05-08-18, 12:25 PM

Received 200 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Im inclined to agree. Itís good but it is overrated. I like the character but honestly Iíve liked him more in his appearances outside of his solo film. Killmonger is one of the best MCU villains though. To me the film is a bit slow and never quite picks up. Iíve only seen it once though so it might grow on me. I do plan on buying the Blu-ray next week.
What is something you don't consider overrated?
Old 05-08-18, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
What is something you don't consider overrated?
Why does it bother you so much that I have a different opinion? I knew I shouldnít have commented and I know this is going to boil down to my comments about Wonder Woman and thinking Iím some kind of racist/sexist or something. Thatís far from the case but both films are instances where otherwise fairly average movies are overhyped because they have a minority lead. To be clear I like both of these films I just donít think theyíre as good as the hype surrounding them. I understand the significance of them to those groups and thatís fine but they donít stand out as truly great films or ones that are better than a lot of whatís out there now days for comic book/superhero films. I really donít see why Black Panther is better than the other MCU films. Itís well made but to me itís not that much better than most of them.
Old 05-08-18, 01:27 PM

I know this is going to boil down to my comments about Wonder Woman and thinking I’m some kind of racist/sexist or something.
I've never thought that or seen that mentioned in regards to you. It's just all you do is say things are overrated. So what isn't?
Old 05-08-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never thought that in regards to you or seen that mentioned in direct to you. It's just all you do is say things are overrated. So what isn't?
I was implying that because it seems that way if you give an opinion that goes against the grain of whatís considered politically correct.

As far as calling everything overrated I donít think I do that often. I wonít say I never have but itís not my consensus for every film. Iíve given reasons why I feel that way if thatís what youíre implying (more for Wonder Woman, I havenít said a lot on this film). I thought Infinity War lived up to its hype as a recent example.

Last edited by Mike86; 05-08-18 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Thor: Dark World isn't over-rated. I mean everyone hated it (or at the very least found it boring), right?
Old 05-08-18, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

^I think you mean the first Thor.
Old 05-08-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, if you break it down by success/box office compared to quality, then yes, it's overrated. I realize that is subjective, but it's not the best standalone marvel film to me (for me, it's still winter soldier - but BP is in the top 7 or 8 for sure). But it's still a good movie (although definitely some weak CGI in areas), you just have to recognize that in addition to that, it's a cultural phenomenon.

If it matters, my personal top 10 of the non-Avengers films:

1) CA: Winter Soldier
2) GOTG
3) Thor: Ragnarok
4) Iron Man
5) CA: Civil War (although, this is really Avengers 2.5, so it might not count)
6) Spider-man: Homecoming
7) Black Panther
8) GOTG 2
9) CA: First Avenger
10) Ant-Man / Doc Strange (just wanted to get an 11th in there)

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-08-18 at 03:34 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

It's a little overrated for me too, as far as reviews when it came out. It's a good movie, but out of my top 5 favorite MCU movies.
Old 05-08-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the cultural phenomenon aspect is where films like this lose me. I think itís a good film but when films like this get so much hype and do so well at the box office sometimes itís impossible to have them live up to what I expect them to be. Itís not saying the film is bad or taking anything away from the groups who take pride in it for how it represents them, I just donít think itís that good comparatively with the other MCU films. Itís fine but I wouldnít put it in my top five upon first watch.
Old 05-08-18, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Certainly the hype of some films make it impossible for the movie to live up to the hype. I found it an enjoyable movie, but far from the top. The top half sure, but not the top few. Note to writers and producers; don't take dark skinned characters, put them in dark clothing, then put them in the dark for long periods of time. It makes it far too difficult to follow along.

For the record I actually liked all three Thor films. I like Helmsworth as Thor, I liked the interaction with Kat Dennings, I f'in love Natalie Portman, and anything with Loki is elevated.

Out of the bunch I found Spiderman to be the biggest letdown. Without Michael Keaton that movie wouldn't have even been worth watching.
Old 05-11-18, 07:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I watched this yesterday and I absolutely hated it, the whole hidden city with this vast technology that could better the world was just not believable to me and the whole being made technical from a meteor was dumb to me. The bad guy hating them because of how his people have been repressed since the slaves irked me because it felt preachy. I really thought the biggest thing that stood out in the film was Martin Freeman, I liked him in the hobbit but i just have a hard time buying anything else hes in. I think i would have liked it more if it wasent for the need to be Technologically advanced if they were just a normal country with some technology I could have found that believable. And aside from a few passing comments it didn't tie into that previous movies so it felt like a stand alone thing to me and I kinda hold the marvel movies as one big series so it sticking out story wise just kinda took me out of the flow. I liked the Black Panther character in Civil War just not sure he warranted his own series.
Old 05-11-18, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by MR Round View Post
I watched this yesterday and I absolutely hated it, the whole hidden city with this vast technology that could better the world was just not believable to me and the whole being made technical from a meteor was dumb to me.
You realize it's based on a comic book, right? Believability is out the window.
Old 05-11-18, 08:36 PM

You realize it's based on a comic book, right? Believability is out the window.
They made the Nolan Batman movies in a way you could see it happening. i think even with the whole realm of the Marvel movies it just stood out too much in its having to over do everything.
Old 05-11-18, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I felt the same way. To much reliance on the magic meteorite metal.
Old 05-11-18, 08:44 PM

They made the Nolan Batman movies in a way you could see it happening. i think even with the whole realm of the Marvel movies it just stood out too much in its having to over do everything.
So an alien invasion in other movies is more believable?

The Nolan comparison doesn’t really have any value here.
Old 05-11-18, 09:04 PM

So an alien invasion in other movies is more believable?

The Nolan comparison doesnít really have any value here.
Well why not its still a movie based on a comic book is it not?
Old 05-11-18, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah none of the Marvel movies are exactly believable. They all have out of this world technology and gods and aliens.
Old 05-11-18, 09:09 PM

Well why not its still a movie based on a comic book is it not?
Because the goal of those movies was to be based in reality. Something different from most all comic based films. And something DC is most definitely not doing now. None of the Mavel movies are like that. To try and say any of them should be in line with Nolan’s films is just as ridiculous as a secret country.

Yeah none of the Marvel movies are exactly believable. They all have out of this world technology and gods and aliens.
Exactly.
Old 05-11-18, 09:30 PM

Aliens having advanced weapons and technology and superpowers I can buy how else would they traverse the galaxies, genetically altering DNa i can believe. But I dunno it just didnt work with Black Panter for me. I get why people like it though.
Old 05-12-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched this yesterday and I absolutely hated it, the whole hidden city with this vast technology that could better the world was just not believable to me and the whole being made technical from a meteor was dumb to me. The bad guy hating them because of how his people have been repressed since the slaves irked me because it felt preachy. I really thought the biggest thing that stood out in the film was Martin Freeman, I liked him in the hobbit but i just have a hard time buying anything else hes in. I think i would have liked it more if it wasent for the need to be Technologically advanced if they were just a normal country with some technology I could have found that believable. And aside from a few passing comments it didn't tie into that previous movies so it felt like a stand alone thing to me and I kinda hold the marvel movies as one big series so it sticking out story wise just kinda took me out of the flow. I liked the Black Panther character in Civil War just not sure he warranted his own series.
Careful with that. There are a couple of guys on the forum that have such hardons for this film that they will argue until they are blue in the face that your assessment of the film is wrong.

And I see one of them has already told you that your opinion of the film is wrong.
Old 05-12-18, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't like the movie either, but for entirely different reasons. I thought the racial politics were astoundingly retrograde and I can't understand all this talk about "empowerment." It all came down to black Africans, including the women, killing other black Africans--primarily with spears no less, like something out of a 1930s Tarzan movie, only without Tarzan. Quite an ugly stereotype being revived. And given the CIA's sordid history in Africa, with decades of assassinations and divide-and-conquer covert operations, I thought it was a cruel joke that the one sympathetic white guy in the movie is--guess what?--a CIA agent! Somewhere in Langley, a Division Chief of Propaganda is smiling.

If anyone else has raised this issue, I haven't heard.
Old 05-12-18, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Ash, I have heard it in other places but I don’t recall reading it on here. I’ll have to admit I was ignorant to the CIA angle/history but it is an interesting (poor?) choice when there are so many other directions they could have gone with that character and storyline.

As for the black empowerment sentiment, I thought that on my first viewing. It is good that an underserved segment of the population is getting some dues, but the story is actually very shallow in this area. It isn’t as egregious as the Tom Hanks’ movie “Philadelphia” (which I found that movie to be outright insulting).

In “Black Panther” the villain says he is motivated by racial injustice, yet it feels much more like revenge for the sins of the fathers (rightfully so) and personal desire for power. It is hard to say this since we don’t spend time with Killmonger’s backstory, so I can only interpret what I see on screen. Yes, white colonists came to Africa and took people as slaves ... and Wakanda allowed it to happen while hiding and protecting itself. We don’t see any of Killmonger’s quest against “white colonists”, just Wakanda. Arguably, Wakanda was just his first stop on the master plan, but the movie pointed our focus on the micro instead of the macro. It could have said so much more on modern issues (race, colonialism, nationalism, advancing as a society after an atrocity, etc.).
Old 05-15-18, 12:56 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uBYzYji4rmE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.