Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Ritual (D: Bruckner) S: Spall, Ali, James-Collier, Troughton, Reid -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Ritual (D: Bruckner) S: Spall, Ali, James-Collier, Troughton, Reid -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 07:03 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vfugwq2uoa0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Following the sudden, violent death of their best mate, four young men reunite for a hike through the Scandinavian wilderness. Deep in the black, Nordic forest they find themselves lost in a hell of sinister nightmares and pagan sacrifices. For these ancient woods are home to a malevolent deity which will force them to face the darkness inside themselves.
This is up on Netflix today.

Currently 70% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_ritual_2017/
Old 02-09-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 613 Likes on 451 Posts
Re: The Ritual (D: Bruckner) S: Spall, Ali, James-Collier, Troughton, Reid -- Netflix

I remember looking through last year's Toronto Film Fest listings guessing which movies might be picked up by Netflix and this was on an increasingly long mental list, from which I suspect we'll see more titles arriving on the service as time passes (frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if most of last year's Midnight Madness titles -- that's where this one debuted -- end up there). Not really something I'd have paid to see at TIFF or in a theater, but it certainly seemed like it would be an above-average direct-to-video item in league the director's previous works, which is essentially what it's become.
Old 02-09-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
Re: The Ritual (D: Bruckner) S: Spall, Ali, James-Collier, Troughton, Reid -- Netflix

Sounds very Blair Witch-y.
Old 02-09-18, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

This was kind of a mix between blair witch project and the descent.

Definitely nothing ground breaking, but I really enjoyed it. Decent little premise, solid performances, and really dug the
Spoiler:
design of the "creature"
. It was lacking a little in the scare department, but I enjoyed that it didnt go for the jump scares or fake outs.

One of the better horror movies I've seen in a while.
Old 02-10-18, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Watch it tonight and also thought it was a better horror film. Never going to hiking in the woods after seeing it.
Old 02-11-18, 07:23 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

This was very good. Great cast, and some really creepy and scary moments. Anyone who likes horror and has Netflix should give this a shot.
Old 02-11-18, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really dug the production design. Lots of cool, surreal moments.

The first night's stay in that house was tense. Plenty of creepy moments throughout.

Loses a bit of steam in the third act but finishes up nicely and never gives in to audience expectation.
Old 02-11-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

I found it highly derivative (we've seen this story and these lost, squabbling characters a thousand times), but not too bad for a slow night. It was well-made capably acted, and I'm a sucker for these kinds of movies. I agree with thematahara:
Spoiler:
Probably the most memorable moment is when one sees the creature in full as it is silhouetted against the burning building.
Old 02-12-18, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Solid first half, after that, it just got terrible - went to complete shit.
Old 01-25-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just watched this last night. I loved the spooky atmosphere, and how a lot was done with a little for the first 3/4 of the film. Kudos to director David Bruckner on that count.
Creepy. Suspenseful. Realistic dialogue.

I know there are mixed reviews of the final act, but I enjoyed this one a lot - and thought the creature design was excellent.
Sure, not reinventing the wheel, but really fun stuff.
Old 01-25-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
- and thought the creature design was excellent.
While, overall, I enjoyed the movie, the creature was the highlight.
Old 01-25-19, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the creature was the lowlight, myself. Very solid first 3/4, then it kind of collapses.
Old 01-25-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I thought the creature was the lowlight, myself. Very solid first 3/4, then it kind of collapses.
This
Old 01-26-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Loved the monster design, reminded me of something you would fight in Bloodborne/Dark Souls.
Old 01-26-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

It wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either. I had thought I commented in here before but I guess not. I did like the creature design and give it an average 2.5/5. Worth watching but nothing more.