Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
re: New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Originally Posted by Mike86
Old Republic era could definitely be cool. I haven’t watched a lot of Game of Thrones so the two show runners from that don’t do much for me either way. I know that’s a well made and popular show, but I’m just not a fan personally.
Jesus dude, is there anything you do like?
Old 03-19-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
I'd like to see a Star Wars film noir. Down on his luck private eye like Sam Spade/Phillip Marlowe. Carries a blaster in shoulder holster. Gets mixed up with underworld of gangsters, seedy bars, etc.
This was called Blade Runner.
Old 03-19-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Jesus dude, is there anything you do like?
I like plenty of things. I gave Game of Thrones a decent chance. I binged the first two seasons and like the first three or four episodes of season three. I was trying to get into it as my friends always told me how great it was. It just wasn't for me though and never really hooked me. I watched just trying to convince myself maybe I'd start to like it more, but that never happened. To be fair though I've really never been a big fan of fantasy type stuff set in medieval times (not a fan of Tolkien/Lord of the Rings, etc. either really). I feel like it has too much going on in terms of characters and storylines to follow, and just goes for shocks and twists for the sake of it.
Old 03-20-19, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Old Republic era movies from the GoT people? Take my money!
Old 03-20-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Old Republic era movies from the GoT people with Katherine Kennedy still in charge? Take my money, Redbox!
Fixed
Old 03-22-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

It's about damn time we get some movement on this. Weiss and Benioff were hired over a year ago. I know they were finishing up Game of Thrones when they were hired so that probably delayed some movement on this. If this does go into production in the Fall, they have to start casting this Spring and Summer.
Old 03-25-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's about damn time we get some movement on this. Weiss and Benioff were hired over a year ago. I know they were finishing up Game of Thrones when they were hired so that probably delayed some movement on this. If this does go into production in the Fall, they have to start casting this Spring and Summer.
We'll no doubt know more at Star Wars Celebration next month.
Old 03-25-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Yeah... the one where Mark Hamill portrayed Jake Skywalker.
Forget it, Jake, it's Alderaan!
Old 10-28-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Future Star Wars projects discussion thread - news, rumors, etc.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/star-wa...gy-1202771184/

Weiss and Benioff leave their Star Wars project.

They attribute this to their new Netflix deal and said they can’t do both. Maybe Netflix was putting pressure on them to get their first pitch ready. After all, they just paid them $200M plus.
Old 10-28-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

So did they not have a contract with Lucasfilm?
Old 10-29-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

More turmoil at Lucasfilm. Color me surprised.
Old 10-29-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

So... does this mean post Episode IX there’s actually no new Star Wars movies on development?
Old 10-29-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Believe so, but probably for the best for Disney to take a break, and in the meantime they do have a couple TV series for Disney+.
Old 10-29-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
So... does this mean post Episode IX there’s actually no new Star Wars movies on development?
There's Rian Jonhnson's trilogy that seems to be on the development hell backburner. I expect that early next year they'll either go into active development and give it a release date, or shitcan it entirely. The way Disney is handling Star Wars, my money would probably go on it getting tossed in the shitcan in the first quarter of 2020. Or they'll quietly forget about it and Rian will claim he's still working on it for the next thirty years when a reporter asks him about it.

Not sure if they're just going to give the Benioff & Weiss trilogy to someone else (and list them as executive producers?) or cancel it outright.

RIght now, their focus seems to be on the Disney+ series, though the Cassian Andor one seems to have narrowly avoided being axed, so even the Disney+ projects are still in flux.

Old 10-29-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk God

When you think about it. I really don’t know how Weiss and Benioff could have done both. They probably had to finish the Star Wars script for the first movie by mid 2020 at the latest to start pre production. Then Netflix pays them $200M and probably expects something to go into active development by next year to come out in 2021 most likely. They aren’t going to pay that kind of money and not have anything ready within 2 years.

Getting 3 movies made within the next 7 years along with having a very rich development deal with Netflix would IMO be extremely challenging for any writer to get done.
Old 10-29-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I just think it's hilarious that some folks on social media think that Weiss Benioff are out of SW is this big ass feat. The fact that they have 250 million dollars with Netflix trumps all. That's stupid money. They're ensured for the rest of their days. Fuck Disney and fuck Star Wars. They have it made.
Old 10-29-19, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The REAL news should be that interview they gave saying we'd never written a single thing and we have no idea how GRRM ok'd us to handle his life's work. They talk about they didn't understand the character's on and on. It's a mind blowing interview. You ask me jokes on Netflix for pissing away $200 million on these jackasses.
Old 10-29-19, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There's Rian Jonhnson's trilogy that seems to be on the development hell backburner. I expect that early next year they'll either go into active development and give it a release date, or shitcan it entirely. The way Disney is handling Star Wars, my money would probably go on it getting tossed in the shitcan in the first quarter of 2020. Or they'll quietly forget about it and Rian will claim he's still working on it for the next thirty years when a reporter asks him about it.

Not sure if they're just going to give the Benioff & Weiss trilogy to someone else (and list them as executive producers?) or cancel it outright.

RIght now, their focus seems to be on the Disney+ series, though the Cassian Andor one seems to have narrowly avoided being axed, so even the Disney+ projects are still in flux.
I think Rian was close to being out the door...but reports are that Knives Out is REALLY good, so I think he's in a holding pattern now...they might decide to hang on with him if only to see what ideas he pitches/develops. He's a GOOD director - he's just better when he's able to create his own characters than use someone else's.

Then again, if Rian's movie is a big hit, he may decide that HE want's nothing to do with Lucasfilm anymore.
Old 10-29-19, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I just think it's hilarious that some folks on social media think that Weiss Benioff are out of SW is this big ass feat. The fact that they have 250 million dollars with Netflix trumps all. That's stupid money. They're ensured for the rest of their days. Fuck Disney and fuck Star Wars. They have it made.
Unless, of course, Netflix goes bankrupt...which is closer than you might think.
Old 10-29-19, 06:46 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

If this was actually a KotOR movie as rumored, I wonder if they would have at least had an outline or treatment by now that can be handed over to another writer.
Old 10-29-19, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

I’ve never seen Game of Thrones, so it’s funny to read Twitter and everyone ripping them for the GoT final season. Everyone seems happy they aren’t doing SW.
Old 10-29-19, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Again, Rian Johnson’s SW movie made well over a billion dollars. It’s a small contingent on the internet that hates him. The public at large doesn’t even know who he is.
Old 10-29-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Disney isn't going to give a penny to somebody working for the enemy. The more I read about their handling of GoT (ie how great it was when they had source material and how it went downhill when the didn't) this could be a relief. Perhaps Favreau will get a shot...
Old 10-29-19, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
If this was actually a KotOR movie as rumored, I wonder if they would have at least had an outline or treatment by now that can be handed over to another writer.
If it's going to be based on the game(s) with Darth Revan and Darth Malak, then there's already a pretty extensive storyline there with an intriguing plot twist. There's a ton of shit going down in that period (approx 3680-3650 BBY): The Mandalorian War, the Jedi Civil War, and the Great Galactic War.
Old 10-29-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I could care less that this trilogy isn’t going forward with Benioff and Weiss being involved as they were never a selling point for me. Maybe this also is signaling that Disney/LucasFilm is moving away from attaching popular at the moment creators/directors for Star Wars films, which I think is a mistake they made early on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.