Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Old 10-29-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,420 Likes on 4,389 Posts
re: New Star Wars Films from GOT Writers [not happening]

Originally Posted by Rob V
Disney isn't going to give a penny to somebody working for the enemy.
Yup, this. I'm sure the deal fell apart as Disney + moves into direct competition with Netflix. Just like you don't have actors playing major parts in the MCU and DCCU at the same time (and if not for the unfortunate James Gunn firing, you wouldn't have the same directors working for both either).
Old 10-29-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

I never followed GOT on tv, but I've read most of the books. That revelation about them not understanding writing and removing fantasy elements just blew my mind. I have literally no interest in watching the show after hearing about the ending, I'll just see if I live long enough for GRRM to finish the books.

I guess I'm glad they're off Star Wars. I mean, maybe they got some good experience doing GOT but what I'd really like to see is for Kathleen Kennedy to put out a call for ideas and maybe run a competition of sorts for the best story idea. Get all kinds of ideas from writers and directors, and go based on story strength instead of names.
Old 10-29-19, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Again, Rian Johnson’s SW movie made well over a billion dollars. It’s a small contingent on the internet that hates him. The public at large doesn’t even know who he is.
I don't hate him for The Last Jedi. I hate him because of that stupid ass way he spells his name.
Old 10-29-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought the GOT writers would be great for Star Wars.

I don't know why they're out and Rian's still in.
Old 10-30-19, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 390 Likes on 315 Posts

^^ Because they're dealing with Netflix (a direct competitor to Disney+)... and Rian Johnson sucks and Netflix is too smart to deal with him.
Old 10-30-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts

Hmmm, Netflix isn't all that smart if they signed D&D.
Old 10-30-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Disney isn't going to give a penny to somebody working for the enemy.
Have you heard of James Gunn?
Old 10-30-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Some details from Variety....

Benioff and Weiss had ambitious plans to take the “Star Wars” universe in a new direction, one that would exist apart from the Skywalker family saga that comprised the franchise’s centerpiece nine-film series. The “Star Wars” period the pair was interested in exploring was how the Jedi came to exist.
When Kennedy and her team pitched these filmmakers on joining the “Star Wars” family, sources say they were promised some measure of creative control. However, multiple insiders said new ideas were commonly shot down as Kennedy and her team were only looking for people to stick to the company line.[...] Rian Johnson, who oversaw the more divisive “The Last Jedi,” was said to get along with Kennedy and has maintained that he had creative freedom, but fans balked at some of his decisions.
What a fucking mess.

So which is it? Is Kennedy/Lucasfilm/Disney micromanaging these movies, or do the "auteurs" get complete creative freedom? Almost sounds like someone Kennedy likes -- (cough)Rian Johnson (cough) -- gets the carte blanche while everyone gets nitpicked off of the the projects they're developing or actively filming.

Kennedy sounds like of those bosses from hell who goes out of her way to forge bonds and friendships with the mediocre and incompetent people under her, fills positions with her friends, and either throws all of the competent workers under the bus or drives them away from the company. These people are absolutely toxic to any workplace, and, unfortunately, they frequently fail upwards.
Old 10-31-19, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

It all sounds like a mess, and Disney can’t get on the same page with what to do with this franchise. Regardless of what is being said now or will be said in the coming months, the future is just gonna be episodes 10-12, plus the occasional spin-off. If they had any sense they’d put Filoni in as the creative mastermind for the entire franchise, like Feige is for Marvel.
Old 10-31-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
If they had any sense they’d put Filoni in as the creative mastermind for the entire franchise, like Feige is for Marvel.
Filoni is running the ship for all the Disney+ content...well, he and Jon Favreau and Tony Gilroy.

Feige is either going to do double duty with Marvel and Lucasfilm or, more likely, take over Alan Horn's role as chief creative officer of ALL Disney's theatrical films in another year or two (when Horn - who is 76 - finally retires). They're probably waiting so Horn and Iger can go out together, as Iger will most likely step down in 2021.
Old 10-31-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,947 Posts

I'm not a huge Filoni fan. I can dig that he's passionate about Star Wars, but I don't care for how he interprets the Force.

In Clone Wars, he introduced all of this Living Force/Cosmic Force and Mortis, Father, Daughter, and Son woo-woo, and in Rebels he brought in that "World Between Worlds" nonsense and (gag) time travel.

The mechanics of the Force need to be kept vague. The more you try to explain this stuff (and bring in mystical realms) it not only demystifies the Force, but it creates a situation where they start bringing in more and more of this nonsense.
Old 11-01-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

I have to cut Disney some slack here, nobody could have anticipated D&D dropping the ball for the final season as hard as they did. 1.5 million signing a petition saying your writing sucks, I can see why Disney didn't want to drag their baggage into Star Wars.
Old 11-01-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm not a huge Filoni fan. I can dig that he's passionate about Star Wars, but I don't care for how he interprets the Force.

In Clone Wars, he introduced all of this Living Force/Cosmic Force and Mortis, Father, Daughter, and Son woo-woo, and in Rebels he brought in that "World Between Worlds" nonsense and (gag) time travel.

The mechanics of the Force need to be kept vague. The more you try to explain this stuff (and bring in mystical realms) it not only demystifies the Force, but it creates a situation where they start bringing in more and more of this nonsense.
All that nonsense is already there from the beginning. You can't have something that powerful without it manifesting in weird ways across the galaxy. Filoni is the best choice to run the creative side of Star Wars in my book. All the throwbacks and throwforwards he did in The Clone Wars and Rebels shows he gets the saga as a whole.
Old 11-04-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Almost all that interpretation (at least pre-2013) comes from George Lucas himself, who Filoni had to consult with on each and every episode of Clone Wars.
Old 01-10-24, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 757 Likes on 553 Posts

David Benioff and Dan Weiss Reveal Their Shelved Star Wars Idea: ‘The First Jedi’

The 'Game of Thrones' creators discussed their Star Wars movie idea for the first time.
January 10, 2024 8:39am

So, what was David Benioff and Dan Weiss‘ shelved Star Wars movie all about?

The Game of Thrones creators opened up about their efforts to make a Star Wars movie in this week’s The Hollywood Reporter‘s cover story about their upcoming Netflix sci-fi epic 3 Body Problem, which they created along with True Blood writer-producer Alexander Woo. The producers also discuss the backlash to Thrones‘ final season, their short-lived Confederate idea, their 3 Body producer’s bizarre Breaking Bad-inspired murder, and the many challenges that came from making their hugely ambitious new show.

On the Star Wars front, the duo confirm media reports from 2019 that they were looking at the early days of the Jedi, but added some details.

“We wanted to do The First Jedi,” Benioff says. “Basically, how the Jedi Order came to be, why it came to be, the first lightsaber …”

“And we were annoyed as hell when [Rian Johnson, the duo’s longtime friend and 3 Body Problem producer] called his movie The Last Jedi,” Weiss says dryly. “He completely destroyed the obvious title for what we were working on.”

Asked what went wrong, Benioff says, “[Lucasfilm] ended up not wanting to do a First Jedi story. We had a very specific story idea in mind, and ultimately they decided they didn’t want to do that. And we totally get it. It’s their company and their IP, but we weren’t the droids they were looking for.”

The duo were far from the only ones that had their Star Wars movie taken away. Lucasfilm also decided against making Star Wars projects from top creatives like Kevin Feige, Patty Jenkins and Damon Lindelof.

Yet Benioff and Weiss’ overall concept still might happen — last year, Lucasfilm announced a movie titled Dawn of the Jedi from Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny director James Mangold.
Old 01-10-24, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eh. Not sure that would work in a movie, sounds more like the shows they've been doing on Disney+

And them being buddies with Rian Johnson? Not sure that would be a good thing.
Old 01-10-24, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
All that nonsense is already there from the beginning. You can't have something that powerful without it manifesting in weird ways across the galaxy. Filoni is the best choice to run the creative side of Star Wars in my book. All the throwbacks and throwforwards he did in The Clone Wars and Rebels shows he gets the saga as a whole.
Originally Posted by milo bloom
And them being buddies with Rian Johnson? Not sure that would be a good thing.
Filoni is also buddies with Rian Johnson so maybe that's not the problem you are assuming...
https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/ne...-the-last-jedi
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-10-24)