Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hereditary (2018, D: Aster) S: Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Ann Dowd

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hereditary (2018, D: Aster) S: Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Ann Dowd

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-18, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Hereditary (2018, D: Aster) S: Toni Collette, Gabriel Byrne, Ann Dowd

That would have been the absolute appropriate response on your part. I am disappointed you didn’t. Seriously.
Old 07-07-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

My trick is to sit in the first few rows. Most of the distractions disappear when the people are behind you.
Old 08-22-18, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Caught a showing of this tonight.

It starts off with a slow building but unsettling air of disjointedness before we get a sudden jolt that takes things in a very creepy and disturbing direction. I was really enjoying the movie and eager to see where it was going until ...

Spoiler:
...it introduces some rather cliche (seance) supernatural elements into the plot that quickly take over the storyline. Strangely enough, this is one horror movie where I would have preferred it stay away from being overtly supernatural as I felt the story was more effective when it was grounded in everyday reality with strange occurrences that simply happened and didn't need to be explained with bad dialogue. The scene where Collette's character was trying to convince her disbelieving husband what was really going on, was probably Collette's worst scene in the movie, probably because the dialogue was so wooden. I would have preferred the mom just go increasingly nutty until crossing the line into batshit crazy instead of having her be manipulated by evil forces.

I was was very disappointed when the story segued into Poltergeist/Insidious territory (parent trying to save their child from the forces of evil) before ending with predictable body switcheroo shenanigans seemingly lifted from The Skeleton Key (or The Mephisto Waltz). Man, Get Outta here! We've seen all this kind of shit before. It's not scary or original.

I will say, however, that Toni Collette was incredible and well deserving of at least an Oscar nom. On the other hand, I thought Alex Wolff overacted at times (particularly when he was sobbing on his father's shoulder) and he doesn't really look like either Collette or Byrne (or their daughter), so that was a little distracting (unless Collette had him with another man before she married Byrne).

So, in conclusion, I really liked it for about 90 minutes, but the last 30 minutes or so were pretty formulaic horror movie malarkey.

I agree 100%.

IMO it was a creepy, atmospheric, well acted film (especially by Toni Collette). The disappointing third act with its cheap scares and poor man’s Polanski type ending ruined it for me.

2/5

Last edited by inri222; 08-22-18 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-22-18, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The trip was better than the destination but I enjoyed this overall.

Toni Collette does potentially batshit crazy really well.

Also always appareciate a movie that thinks the audience can actually read. Even if they did repeat most of it at the end.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-22-18 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I liked half of it but it fell apart at the end for me. Every explanation for the things that didn't make sense to me seems dumb.
Old 08-26-18, 12:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I’m late to the game, but I heard some good things about this movie. So I came here to read old comments. Is this shit for real? Is this movie at all serious? This is straight up William Castle bullshit. Are they selling insurance policies in the lobby too?
Old 08-26-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It just shows everybody thought the ending kinda sucked.
Old 08-26-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not at all.
Old 08-27-18, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

The trip was better than the destination but I enjoyed this overall.

Toni Collette does potentially batshit crazy really well.

Also always appareciate a movie that thinks the audience can actually read. Even if they did repeat most of it at the end.

Unfortunately for me when she is trying to explain seance I thought she was terrible and laughingly bad. Took me right out of it.

It did. There is about half a good movie here. 20 minutes too long as well.
I would give it 2.5/5. It was average to me. Just like the over hyped Babadook which I thought was average as well.
Old 08-27-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Not at all.
Hokey is right ... not “kinda”.
Old 09-09-18, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just watched a scary movie and I'm afraid now

I just recently watched a horror movie called “Hereditary” and it honestly scared the heck out of me. It’s made by a foreign group called A24 which is gaining so much popularity lately due to all the movies they produced in the past few years. I swear guys, this movie and group are so underrated. I can honestly say that the movie Hereditary is a masterpiece. It messes you up psychologically and emotionally. At first you’ll keep trying to analyze its plot but trust me, you won’t get anything right until the near end. I highly recommend this movie and also, do your best not to watch this piece alone at night.
Old 09-09-18, 09:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts

This was surprisingly good. Engrossing throughout. Great slow burn build to third act. Collette was amazing and I wish the Academy would see a movie like this and nominate, but elitist and although pretty successful (with foreign gross, even $44 in US on $10 budget is decent), but kinda buried in early summer. I really didn’t know anything going in and thought one of those throwaway horror movies with some kinda twist, but this was somewhat unique, effective
Spoiler:
supernatural/cult
movie. I really was into it and I haven’t been into movies too much lately. I do think Gabriel Byrne was a waste. Good, but a waste. Too old for Collette. I know he exec. produced, but could have been anyone in that role.

What was significance
Spoiler:
of heads cut off? Just bc Charlie’s, the bird, was chopped off, Annie had to as well? Which was a pretty sick scene and even though just saw beginnngs, hearing it in background was very effective. Or was the heads off thing just a ritual to summon Paimon into male body or was that Paimon’s doing?

Anyway, very well done.

Probably 3.75 to 4 stars.
Old 09-09-18, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First, to Imdelighted: welcome to DVDTalk and congratulations on the new job in A24’s marketing department!

OldBoy: it’s been awhile since I saw it, but I believe the decapitations have a significant meaning in the summoning of Paimon. Could it have been necessary to free Paimon from the current body it was in? Though following it from body to body was like playing the three-card Monty on a New Orleans street corner — it didn’t follow its own rules.
Old 09-11-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Glad I ended up really liking this film.

Many say the film middle drags, it somewhat does but I feel it built up the characters more and I always felt like I was with them - very effective.

Spoiler:
So the girl was possessed since birth but they never really explained the demons "tick" not sure why they put that in there

Anyone else catch the dude at the funeral smiling was the same dude later on in this house with the same smile? Nice touch.

So far I've only liked 2 films from A24 - this and the witch......JK the witch F'n sucked. Hereditary and ex-machina.

This flick felt fresh and even original.
Old 09-11-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rival11
So far I've only liked 2 films from A24 - this and the witch......JK the witch F'n sucked. Hereditary and ex-machina.

A24 mostly does acquisitions, they do... alright. Green Room was fun.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-11-18 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-11-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11

Other great A24 films:

"20th Century Women"
"Green Room"
"A Most Violent Year"
"The Bling Ring"
"It Comes at Night"
"Amy" (Amy Winehouse documentary)
"Room"
"Lady Bird"
"Eighth Grade"
"The Florida Project"
"Mojave"
Old 09-11-18, 12:28 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

^^ Good Time... Enemy... Swiss Army Man... The Disaster Artist

I love A24. Sure, they have some duds, but they've distributed a lot of my favorite movies from the last few years.
Old 09-11-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
^^ Good Time... Enemy... Swiss Army Man... The Disaster Artist

I love A24. Sure, they have some duds, but they've distributed a lot of my favorite movies from the last few years.
Old 09-11-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really wanted to like this one, but it fell into the same category as The Witch for me. I loved the creepy atmosphere and tone and it had some really fuck with your head imagery, but everything else kinda fell flat with me. My wife and I were giggling during some scenes that I don't think were intentional funny and by the time the ending came rolling around I was ready for it to be finished. There is probably a better 90 minute movie in there when you cut out some of the cult bullshit and change up the ending.

This and The Witch had great RT scores but horrible audience scores and I mainly blame that on the marketing.
Old 10-27-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Disturbing film. I feel the casting of the daughter adds way more to the overall feel of film than people will admit.
Old 01-22-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This is now up on Prime. Probably been there for a while but yeah.
Old 01-23-19, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I bought this used a few months ago and finally popped it in. I enjoyed it a lot until the supernatural shit really kicked in. I’d say it was a decent film overall, but just fell apart for me at the end. Maybe I’ll try again in the future. Way better than the Witch. I hated that fucking movie.
Old 01-23-19, 08:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Disturbing film. I feel the casting of the daughter adds way more to the overall feel of film than people will admit.
I agree on all three counts.
Originally Posted by Toddarino
I bought this used a few months ago and finally popped it in. I enjoyed it a lot until the supernatural shit really kicked in. I’d say it was a decent film overall, but just fell apart for me at the end. Maybe I’ll try again in the future. Way better than the Witch. I hated that fucking movie.
I probably said this before, but yes, great film until that last act sorta phones it in. But Collette is so good that I’ll likely re-watch this often, thoroughly enjoying most of it.

But then, I loved The Witch, where iirc I should have the same complaint.
Old 01-23-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I bought this used a few months ago and finally popped it in. I enjoyed it a lot until the supernatural shit really kicked in. I’d say it was a decent film overall, but just fell apart for me at the end..
I agree.

Way better than the Witch. I hated that fucking movie.
I disagree, The Witch is a goddamn horror masterpiece.
Old 01-23-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The VVitch is a modern classic. We're going to look back on that movie with the same reverence as The Exorcist.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.