Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Old 01-22-18, 09:38 AM
  #26  
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd
 
Trevor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: spiritually, Minnesota
Posts: 36,196
Received 369 Likes on 255 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan, especially now since Harvey Weinstein pretty much bought the Best Picture Oscar. It was a stupid movie with a lot of sex in it, thats it, nobody gives a shit about it today.
How many women were in each film? Oh....

But seriously, while I’ll admit SPR is the better film, I re-watch SiL much more often. It’s a fun film, and easy on the soul. I need to be in the right mood for something as heavy as SPR.
Old 01-22-18, 09:47 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
The Questyen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 4,787
Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

I've never been perplexed by an Oscar win. These are all critically acclaimed movies so having people choose one that I don't care for doesn't surprise me. I'd be perplexed if I agreed with every Oscar choice.
Old 01-22-18, 09:49 AM
  #28  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 39,718
Likes: 0
Received 2,924 Likes on 2,001 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
I still don't get the love for Silver Linings Playbook. Such a blah movie, and Jennifer Lawrence most certainly did not deserve to win Best Actress over Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty.
She probably got it for the same reason Gwyneth and SiL won.
Old 01-22-18, 10:10 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Finisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,745
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

SLP is one of the only boy meets girl stories that works for me. Feels like an actual movie with actual characters versus standard chick flick garbage. Ending falls into that trap but I was sold by that point. Also Jennifer Lawrence is undeniably charming and at peak hotness. Similar to Saoirse Ronan right now, her acting stands out and just has a feeling of reality that seems extremely rare. Don't remember Chastain doing any heavy lifting in Zero Dark Thirty.

Three Billboards is about to win actress/supporting actor/picture. For over the top one dimensional caricature performances. That's one that will not hold up.
Old 01-22-18, 10:20 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 7,255
Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Finisher View Post
SLP is one of the only boy meets girl stories that works for me. Feels like an actual movie with actual characters versus standard chick flick garbage. Ending falls into that trap but I was sold by that point. Also Jennifer Lawrence is undeniably charming and at peak hotness. Similar to Saoirse Ronan right now, her acting stands out and just has a feeling of reality that seems extremely rare. Don't remember Chastain doing any heavy lifting in Zero Dark Thirty.
I agree. I also think it deservedly gets extra points for portraying mental illness with some levity and authenticity, while being neither too mean-spirited nor too cloying about it. That's a very hard balance to strike and I think SLP does it better than most.
Old 01-22-18, 10:48 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Shakespeare in Love winning Best Picture over Saving Private Ryan, especially now since Harvey Weinstein pretty much bought the Best Picture Oscar. .
It's funny cause this is around the time I stopped watching the Oscars once it became more about who promoted the films better, or even outright paid to get to the Best Picture Oscar.

I also stopped watching the Oscars when it became more about giving an Oscar who was shortchanged year before. For example, Ron Howard should have probably won for Apollo 13, but then won for A Beautiful Mind? Scorcese lost for Raging Bull, Goodfellas, etc, but won for The Departed? Tom Hanks should have won Best Oscar for Castaway, but because he won twice a few years before that, they gave it to Russell Crowe. Russell was better in The Insider and A Beautiful Mind, but won for Gladiator?

It became this endless cycle of giving these Oscars as lifetime achievements rather then who deserved to win. I think the last Oscars I really watched was The Return of the King year when it swept almost every major award. That was kind of the shift when TV took over as the better storytelling medium over movies, IMO.
Old 01-22-18, 11:01 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,726
Received 150 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Julia Roberts has a Oscar for wearing a pushup bra. And then there is Heath Ledger winning for dying.
Old 01-22-18, 11:11 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
d2cheer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 10,967
Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Suddenly, the Oscars are important?
This
Old 01-22-18, 12:09 PM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Jaymole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: N.Y, N.Y
Posts: 10,197
Received 282 Likes on 160 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Julia Roberts has a Oscar for wearing a pushup bra. And then there is Heath Ledger winning for dying.
Elizabeth Taylor got one for almost dying
Old 01-22-18, 12:25 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,620
Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
I was reading about some of these movies that even won, but some got nominations in good categories.

I was absolutely shocked that The Godfather III got 7 noms including best picture. I saw this once many moons ago (really only remember terrible Sophia Coppola scene getting shot or whatever) and know it is reveiled so I was quite surprised...

What are some nominations or even wins that you drop your jaw at for some movies?
If it were not a sequel to The Godfather I & II this film would have gotten more praise. Except for the miscasting of Sofia Coppola and missing the presence of Robert Duvall it is a very good film.
In addition the other returning cast members, the characters played by Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna and Eli Wallach make it interesting.
Old 01-22-18, 12:26 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Bluelitespecial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 9,497
Received 209 Likes on 144 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
How many women were in each film? Oh....

But seriously, while I’ll admit SPR is the better film, I re-watch SiL much more often. It’s a fun film, and easy on the soul. I need to be in the right mood for something as heavy as SPR.
I just think its a dumb movie, and looking back on history in terms of Harvey Weinstein now, you have to wonder what did Gwenyth Paltrow do for the part and her Oscar. Saving Private Ryan has had a more lasting impact. I watch it every year on Memorial Day weekend.
Old 01-22-18, 12:40 PM
  #37  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,168
Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
If it were not a sequel to The Godfather I & II this film would have gotten more praise. Except for the miscasting of Sofia Coppola and missing the presence of Robert Duvall it is a very good film.
In addition the other returning cast members, the characters played by Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna and Eli Wallach make it interesting.
Gotta say, I agree with this. I rewatched it recently and it’s not nearly as bad as people seem to remember, or what I though immediately after viewing the first two. Strong relationships between the characters (especially the family), with interesting conflicts.

Yes, it had some missteps (including the helicopter shootout, corny poison canolli, and not paying Duvall a respectable salary in the first place), but overall, not bad when taken as a coda, which it was meant as.
Old 01-22-18, 12:59 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 7,436
Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
If it were not a sequel to The Godfather I & II this film would have gotten more praise. Except for the miscasting of Sofia Coppola and missing the presence of Robert Duvall it is a very good film.
In addition the other returning cast members, the characters played by Andy Garcia, Joe Mantegna and Eli Wallach make it interesting.
I respectfully disagree as Godfather 3 is an OK movie (It has a great cast and great performances (although it was the beginning of Pacino overacting) but that still doesn't make it a good movie). Let's just exclude it from the Godfather Franchise and compare it to other mob films of that era: The Untouchables, Goodfellas, Donnie Brasco, Casino, A Bronx Tale, Carlito's Way to name a few. I don't even think it's nearly as good as any of these movies, as I think it is OK at best.

Although it does have one memorable line: "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!"
Old 01-22-18, 01:17 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,726
Received 150 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

I have always thought that, while Sophia Coppola gives a turd of a performance in The Godfather III, Andy Garcia is the one true worst actor in the film.
Old 01-22-18, 02:01 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 19,865
Received 820 Likes on 577 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Ordinary People over Raging Bull
I'm sure I'm part of a tiny minority here, but Ordinary People is a rock-solid and very good - though not great - drama about bourgeois malaise, and better than the massively overrated Raging Bull (and I'm a Scorsese fan).
Old 01-22-18, 03:38 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ash Ketchum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,292
Received 169 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Gotta say, I agree with this. I rewatched it recently and it’s not nearly as bad as people seem to remember, or what I though immediately after viewing the first two. Strong relationships between the characters (especially the family), with interesting conflicts.

Yes, it had some missteps (including the helicopter shootout, corny poison canolli, and not paying Duvall a respectable salary in the first place), but overall, not bad when taken as a coda, which it was meant as.
The only way I can find out if it's still as bad as I remember it is to watch it again. Which is something I can't bring myself to do.
Old 01-22-18, 04:14 PM
  #42  
kd5
DVD Talk Legend
 
kd5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 11,705
Received 218 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

I wouldn't give you a plug nickel for most of the Academy Award nominees, let alone the winners which is why I stopped caring about the Academy Awards years ago. I mean, La La Land? Silver Linings Playbook? Academy Award winners? Give me a break...
Old 01-22-18, 04:27 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 8,287
Likes: 0
Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I also stopped watching the Oscars when it became more about giving an Oscar who was shortchanged year before. For example, Ron Howard should have probably won for Apollo 13, but then won for A Beautiful Mind? Scorcese lost for Raging Bull, Goodfellas, etc, but won for The Departed? Tom Hanks should have won Best Oscar for Castaway, but because he won twice a few years before that, they gave it to Russell Crowe. Russell was better in The Insider and A Beautiful Mind, but won for Gladiator?
Paul Newman is the quintessential example of this.
Old 01-22-18, 04:52 PM
  #44  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 39,718
Likes: 0
Received 2,924 Likes on 2,001 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Leo should’ve won for Revolutionary Road not The Revenant.
Old 01-23-18, 12:49 AM
  #45  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,252
Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Suddenly, the Oscars are important?
Who said they were?
Old 01-23-18, 06:09 AM
  #46  
DVD Talk Hero
 
TomOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 37,674
Received 792 Likes on 576 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Who said they were?
This thread is sure active.

Then the bitching will start in a short bit when the new nominees are announced. Then just a handful will post in the broadcast thread so people don't want to appear uncool because they actually watch the show.
Old 01-23-18, 08:10 AM
  #47  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Hazel Motes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 7,252
Received 278 Likes on 191 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

I could be wrong, but I think the only people who think the Oscars are actually important are the ones in tuxedo's and couture dresses. But they do exist. And make for decent messageboard fodder.
Old 01-23-18, 08:41 AM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
GoldenJCJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 21,516
Received 1,711 Likes on 1,138 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Then the bitching will start in a short bit when the new nominees are announced. Then just a handful will post in the broadcast thread so people don't want to appear uncool because they actually watch the show.
So true.

I still watch but I’ve noticed over the last few years how it’s become “uncool” to watch the Oscars. Yet people still love to make sure you know they’re not watching.
Old 01-23-18, 08:44 AM
  #49  
Member
 
TheHive08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 234
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

The King's Speech over The Social Network was a joke. I still haven't figured that out.
Old 01-23-18, 09:19 AM
  #50  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
AaronHernandez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bayside
Posts: 2,827
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Movies you’re perplexed got an Oscar nomination or win?

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Maybe moreso in the last 20 years. But I don't recall many people ever bashing The French Connection, The Godfather 1&2, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, Annie Hall, Midnight Cowboy etc.
Yeah because the Canon of 70's Hollywood Film's is Deitized like no other era but all really deserved critical reapprasal's.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.