Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Observations and questions about The Godfather

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-20-18, 05:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I知 watching The Godfather for probably the 8th time in my life. I wanted to type up some questions and observations that I知 having while viewing.

1. When Johnny Fontaine sings at the wedding the girls scream/squeal ecstaticly. They sound like the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Did women scream like that in the 1940痴? I bet not.

2. Right before the 溺ichael Goes To The Hospital scene he has dinner with Kay in a hotel room. Why is she living in a hotel?
Old 01-20-18, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: Observations and questions about The Godfather

Not sure about the girls screaming, but I understood the hotel thing to be because they were unmarried and it would be frowned upon for them to be banging in their parent's home (I assumed Kate still lived with her parents too) so they have to go to a hotel for that. That scene always stuck with me when I think about Kay and Michael, because even though they are in a fancy room and having a nice dinner, there is such an atmosphere of sadness and disappointment.
Old 01-20-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,310 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I知 watching The Godfather for probably the 8th time in my life. I wanted to type up some questions and observations that I知 having while viewing.

1. When Johnny Fontaine sings at the wedding the girls scream/squeal ecstaticly. They sound like the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Did women scream like that in the 1940痴? I bet not.
Here's the crowd for the guy Fontaine was clearly based on :
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kq_wus1KL6Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-20-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

I’m watching The Godfather for probably the 8th time in my life. I wanted to type up some questions and observations that I’m having while viewing.

1. When Johnny Fontaine sings at the wedding the girls scream/squeal ecstaticly. They sound like the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Did women scream like that in the 1940’s? I bet not.

2. Right before the “Michael Goes To The Hospital” scene he has dinner with Kay in a hotel room. Why is she living in a hotel?
1. The Bobby Soxers went nuts for Sinatra and screamed at his concerts, although it's been reported that the ones who started the screaming were plants, paid by Sinatra's handlers. And then the crowds of girls picked up on it and it became a thing.
There are plenty of references to this in Warner Bros. cartoons of the period. "Swooner Crooner," especially.
Old 01-20-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a question: when Kay comes to the Corleone compound to give Hagen a note for Michael, she looks at a wrecked vehicle and asks what happened. Tom says it was an accident where no one got hurt. Does the wrecked car mean anything more than that? I read the book, but can't recall any event tied to it. It's as out of place as if Kay asked, "new paint job on the house?"
Old 01-20-18, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

My favorite part about the Godfather is when they are able to cut the head off a horse and put it in a sleeping guy's bed without waking him up. What makes it even more awesome is that they apparently had time to mop up all of the blood that would have poured all over the floor and up the stairs as they carried it because there is none to be found when the camera moves through the scene.
Old 01-20-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 162 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
My favorite part about the Godfather is when they are able to cut the head off a horse and put it in a sleeping guy's bed without waking him up. What makes it even more awesome is that they apparently had time to mop up all of the blood that would have poured all over the floor and up the stairs as they carried it because there is none to be found when the camera moves through the scene.
I壇 guess a lot of the blood would have stayed with the body, and holding it upright would cause a lot to drain out at the scene.

Then it痴 just a matter of... Ive said too much.
Old 01-20-18, 08:19 PM

Received 535 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Then it痴 just a matter of... Ive said too much.
It's always the quiet ones...
Old 01-20-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You act like nobody had figured out a liquid-proof vessel in the 1940s. Buckets. Tubs. A garbage bag would be all you need to get that horse head into Woltz痴 bed without dripping blood from point A to point B. Infiltrating his house and putting the horse head in the bed without being noticed is kinda the whole point. Woltz ran afoul of a criminal conspiracy. Woltz痴 power and connections weren稚 enough to give him the upper hand and pulling off the horse head thing is a cunning and brutal message to Woltz. I can稚 believe I知 even writing this. I知 sure you池e anxious to find flaws in The Godfather but that scene isn稚 one of them.

As for the bombed-out car at the Corleone compound? It痴 purpose is twofold: it reminds the audience that the Corleones are embroiled in full-blown war with the other crime families as Michael is in exile, it also gives Kay another glimpse into the true nature of the family business. Tom knows exactly where Michael is and is standing in front of undeniable proof that the family痴 business is violent and deadly and he completely shuts her out. Little glimpses into things like the burned-out car are what put Kay in a position to demand the truth about Carlo at the end of the film.
Old 01-20-18, 10:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 333 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
You act like nobody had figured out a liquid-proof vessel in the 1940s. Buckets. Tubs. A garbage bag would be all you need to get that horse head into Woltz痴 bed without dripping blood from point A to point B. Infiltrating his house and putting the horse head in the bed without being noticed is kinda the whole point. Woltz ran afoul of a criminal conspiracy. Woltz痴 power and connections weren稚 enough to give him the upper hand and pulling off the horse head thing is a cunning and brutal message to Woltz. I can稚 believe I知 even writing this. I知 sure you池e anxious to find flaws in The Godfather but that scene isn稚 one of them.

As for the bombed-out car at the Corleone compound? It痴 purpose is twofold: it reminds the audience that the Corleones are embroiled in full-blown war with the other crime families as Michael is in exile, it also gives Kay another glimpse into the true nature of the family business. Tom knows exactly where Michael is and is standing in front of undeniable proof that the family痴 business is violent and deadly and he completely shuts her out. Little glimpses into things like the burned-out car are what put Kay in a position to demand the truth about Carlo at the end of the film.
I agree. Also, think the bombed car has something to do, reminder or is it foreshadowing? (Don稚 remember when Apollonia was blown to bits), whatever of Apollonia痴 death...
Old 01-20-18, 10:52 PM
Banned

Apollonia serves something to the guests at her wedding. She like spoons it out to people with a ladle as she walks around. What would this be?
Old 01-20-18, 10:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen View Post
Not sure about the girls screaming, but I understood the hotel thing to be because they were unmarried and it would be frowned upon for them to be banging in their parent's home (I assumed Kate still lived with her parents too) so they have to go to a hotel for that. That scene always stuck with me when I think about Kay and Michael, because even though they are in a fancy room and having a nice dinner, there is such an atmosphere of sadness and disappointment.
So she痴 staying there so they can be romantic, and he visits, which implies they got romantic, and then they ate dinner in the room because, I guess because it痴 tense on the streets for Michael at that time? I don稚 know. All we are shown is that he brings her to the wedding and then she痴 in this hotel room. Maybe she lives at the hotel.
Old 01-21-18, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You act like nobody had figured out a liquid-proof vessel in the 1940s. Buckets. Tubs. A garbage bag would be all you need to get that horse head into Woltz痴 bed without dripping blood from point A to point B.
They didn't have plastic garbage bags back then.
Old 01-21-18, 09:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Heh, this was a mission in the Godfather game for the Xbox. Remember sneaking around the compound with the head in a sack.
Old 01-21-18, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I like how on the way to the restaurant, to lose any tails, the driver does the most obvious and attention grabbing U Turn of all time on the GW Bridge, and Sollozzo is legitimately like “Nice driving!”
Old 01-21-18, 10:25 AM
Banned

Anybody who also did the u turn would be an obvious tail.
Old 01-21-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So she痴 staying there so they can be romantic, and he visits, which implies they got romantic, and then they ate dinner in the room because, I guess because it痴 tense on the streets for Michael at that time? I don稚 know. All we are shown is that he brings her to the wedding and then she痴 in this hotel room. Maybe she lives at the hotel.
I think it's just a night out. Also later in the film Michael says something along the lines of go back to your parents (I think he mentions Connecticut?).
Old 01-21-18, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Anybody who also did the u turn would be an obvious tail.
Obviously. Still doesn稚 stop the U Turn from being hilarious.
Old 01-21-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
They didn't have plastic garbage bags back then.
I didn稚 say plastic. I also mentioned buckets and tubs because I didn稚 feel like researching waterproof 1940s materials and containers. Are you suggesting that there was no way you could avoid spilling a liquid on the floor in the 1940s?
Old 01-21-18, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I didn’t say plastic. I also mentioned buckets and tubs because I didn’t feel like researching waterproof 1940s materials and containers. Are you suggesting that there was no way you could avoid spilling a liquid on the floor in the 1940s?
I always thought they slipped him a mickey. Sort of like the same thing that happened in Godfather two with the politician. Was the horse head in the novel?

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 01-21-18 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 794 Likes on 585 Posts

They drained the blood from the horse's head, then collected blood from the head and body in jars and bottles. The head was put in the bed, and then they dumped the bottles of blood around the head to make it more dramatic and threatening.

No plastic bags needed.
Old 01-21-18, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

On the DVD commentary, Coppola said he mis-read the book, that the horse's head was left at the foot of the bed, but he thought it was actually placed in the bed under the covers. He correctly figured his version was better (despite the logistics) because having it be under the covers with him so is much more invasive and threatening.
Old 01-21-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
They drained the blood from the horse's head, then collected blood from the head and body in jars and bottles. The head was put in the bed, and then they dumped the bottles of blood around the head to make it more dramatic and threatening.

No plastic bags needed.
Hmmm...some of you guys have clearly done this before.
Old 01-21-18, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 794 Likes on 585 Posts

Not with a horse...
Old 01-21-18, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 874 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Not with a horse...
Horse, whores. Potato, potahto.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright ゥ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.