Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kitty Pryde Movie (D: Tim Miller)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 01-09-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Sources have confirmed to us that Tim Miller of Deadpool fame is hard at work developing a solo movie for the famous phasing member of the X-Men, Kitty Pryde, to potentially direct. Best known by the codename Shadowcat, but also taking on the aliases of Ariel, Sprite and even the mantle of Star-Lord over the years, Pryde is a mutant with the ability to “phase” or become intangible, which basically allows her (and anything she’s touching) to pass through solid objects, disrupt electromagnetic fields, and even levitate. Miller’s setting the project up at 20th Century Fox, the current home of Marvel’s X-Men, X-Force, Wolverine, The New Mutants, and the aforementioned Deadpool titles, but the much-publicized potential buyout by Disney will almost certainly complicate things.

To be clear, a Kitty Pryde movie is very much in development at Fox by Miller at the moment, but even without the expected merger valued at $52.4 billion, a movie that’s in development doesn’t necessarily end up going into production. Just look at the list of “announced” projects for super-producers like Steven Spielberg or Ridley Scott–who just added a possible Disney project of his own–to get an idea of how many pictures are in development versus how many come to pass. Factor in that Miller himself is currently producing a Sonic the Hedgehog movie for Paramount and will be directing the new Terminator film for the studio for a 2019 release, and then add in the fact that the regulatory review of the Disney/Fox merger should take anywhere from 12 to 18 months (if it is approved at all) and things get a bit more complicated.

But Fox isn’t just sitting around waiting to see if they’ll be folded into Disney or not; they have to actively pursue movie projects like normal. Neither is Miller taking a “wait and see” approach. While ultimately Kitty Pryde might never hit the big screen, the fact that he’s actively developing the picture is an interesting and exciting bit of news. (Again, we want to stress that this film, in its current version, might never see the light of day due to any number of reasons, from Fox passing on it, to Disney scrapping it completely, to a Disney and Fox potentially working out some sort of compromise if the merger deal falls through.) If Kitty Pryde does come to pass, it will be the first time the Marvel mutant gets her own big-screen title and would follow sometime after Simon Kinberg‘s upcoming film X-Men: Dark Phoenix. Not a bad pair of films to celebrate Fox’s first female leads for a Marvel title since the beleaguered Elektra.
http://collider.com/kitty-pryde-movi...sney#shadowcat
Old 01-09-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Kitty Pryde Movie (D: Tim Miller)

I look forward to this never being released. And I say this as a Kitty fan.

Last edited by stingermck; 01-09-18 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,487 Posts

I dunno, I like Kitty Pryde, but mainly because of her introduction in the X-men as kind of the wide-eyed kid of the team. Having her in a solo film without having her already established in the universe is a tough sell, to me, unless they just drastically change her character or something.
Old 01-09-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 722 Likes on 527 Posts

No Lockheed, no sale.
Old 01-09-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, without Wolverine or Colossus or any significant character that is part of Kitty's life it doesn't sound very interesting.
Old 01-09-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

And Nightcrawler too?
Old 01-09-18, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Yeah, without Wolverine or Colossus or any significant character that is part of Kitty's life it doesn't sound very interesting.
The Juggernaut
Old 02-13-18, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Fox Teams Tim Miller, Brian Michael Bendis For ‘X-Men’ Mystery Project ‘143’

EXCLUSIVE: Twentieth Century Fox has hired Brian Michael Bendis to develop a script for Deadpool helmer Tim Miller to direct. The movie is shrouded in secrecy, but I have confirmed it is a new feature that is set in the X-Men universe and it has a title: 143.

What could 143 refer to? No one at the studio is saying. The number in X-Men lore refers to the 1963 Uncanny X-Men comic where Kitty Pride is left alone at the mansion on Christmas Eve, and battles an N’Garai demon.
http://deadline.com/2018/02/x-men-ti...es-1202286967/
Old 02-13-18, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More horror involving the younger mutants? sigh. At least no problem in the demon looking like a xenomorph from Alien.
Old 02-13-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Out of all the X-Men characters, this seems like a weird one to try and do a solo movie for.
Old 02-19-18, 02:19 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

So, would Ellen Page be back for this?
Old 02-20-18, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

I find a possible Kitty Pryde movie the least interesting bit from that excerpt. So Paramount is working on a Sonic Hedgehog movie?! and Tim Miller is going to direct another Terminator movie that's coming out next year?
Old 02-20-18, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel. A film about Jubilee would be only slightly less ridiculous.
Old 02-20-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
So, would Ellen Page be back for this?
I would hope they would recast since she's supposed to be 14 at this point?

Cue Millie Bobby Brown.
Old 02-21-18, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

NO!!!!!!!!

And fuck Ellen Page. She sucks the life out of any scene she appears in.
Old 02-21-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^

I was going to disagree with you. Then I remembered every one of her performances in everything I have ever seen her in.