Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the fuss about? (Overrated Movies)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What's the fuss about? (Overrated Movies)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-20, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
re: What's the fuss about? (Overrated Movies)

Originally Posted by atrium
I think the movie is better than the book. At least the movie skipped the croquet mallett and the come-to-life hedge animals.

I've always thought that King was a better storyteller than writer.
I mean King did his own version and it was fucking horrid.

Personally not a fan of Bringing Up Baby or really any "screwball" comedies. They're rarely any funny.

Also not a fan of most musicals with a few exceptions.
Old 05-26-20, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,839 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
I mean King did his own version and it was fucking horrid.
Yeah, and it makes me wonder if, when he's writing these books, King seems them playing out in his head like Lifetime Original Movies.
Old 05-26-20, 07:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
He doesn't say that :
1974 Review

and

2008 Review
From the 74 review
e flashbacks give Coppola the greatest difficulty in maintaining his pace and narrative force. The story of Michael, told chronologically and without the other material, would have had really substantial impact, but Coppola prevents our complete involvement by breaking the tension. The flashbacks to New York in the early 1900s have a different, a nostalgic tone, and the audience has to keep shifting gears. Coppola was reportedly advised by friends to forget the Don Vito material and stick with Michael, and that was good advice.
Old 05-26-20, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,425 Likes on 4,393 Posts

Paraphrasing that quote to "those scenes bring the movie to a screeching halt" is overstating it significantly. Saying those scenes break the tension and change the tone, while still wrong (and Ebert does a bit of a backpedal in 2008 anyway), is different than saying it ruins the movie.
Old 05-26-20, 08:16 PM
Former Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Ebert says in both reviews that the flashbacks interrupt the pacing/immersion. He may not say it with as much hyperbole as PatD but it's clear that he didn't like that aspect of the movie. I think in his Great Movies review he was acknowledging that the movie was beloved by most, but not by him, hence the more relaxed criticism.
Old 05-27-20, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts

This thread was created to break hearts.
Old 05-27-20, 09:04 AM
Banned

Paraphrasing that quote to "those scenes bring the movie to a screeching halt" is overstating it significantly. Saying those scenes break the tension and change the tone, while still wrong (and Ebert does a bit of a backpedal in 2008 anyway), is different than saying it ruins the movie.
Old 05-27-20, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by atrium
Ebert says in both reviews that the flashbacks interrupt the pacing/immersion. He may not say it with as much hyperbole as PatD but it's clear that he didn't like that aspect of the movie. I think in his Great Movies review he was acknowledging that the movie was beloved by most, but not by him, hence the more relaxed criticism.
Simple fix, is just to watch The Godfather Saga. That way, the second part is not interrupted with the flashbacks.
Old 05-27-20, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
GWTW might be the most over rated movie.
Too long and boring and all those guys drooling all over that girl who isn't all that.
Have you ever seen vintage photos of women from the Civil War period? It did not matter rich or poor, they could only rate homely at best. So I could easily see guys from that period fighting over Scarlett.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (05-28-20)
Old 05-27-20, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Easy Rider, would easily be my pick. Just catching a few scenes out of context, it looks like it could be the candidate for greatest movie ever made. After watching the whole blasted mess, it is not much better than your typical AIP drug exploitation flick from the 60's era.
Old 05-27-20, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Simple fix, is just to watch The Godfather Saga. That way, the second part is not interrupted with the flashbacks.
How is that a simple solution since that version has never been for sale on any format and does not stream?
Old 05-27-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How is that a simple solution since that version has never been for sale on any format and does not stream?
​​​​​​Back in the late 90's, that version was nearly playing in a continuous loop on cable.
I'm shocked that version is not able on DVD/Blu or Netflix.
Old 05-27-20, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
​​​​​​Back in the late 90's, that version was nearly playing in a continuous loop on cable.
I'm shocked that version is not able on DVD/Blu or Netflix.
It came back to HBO briefly in 2016. But it disappeared after that.
Old 05-27-20, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 619 Likes on 445 Posts

One of the versions of the Chronologic order Godfather was released on vhs.
Old 05-27-20, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,178 Likes on 917 Posts

The ones that always tend to stick out to me when I think of films that are deemed classics that I can’t get into are The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.

I mean don’t get me wrong I can see why they’re highly regarded and why others like them. Personally though they just don’t do much for me, and I never have a big desire to want to watch them. Some memorable scenes and some great acting, but I just find them a bit too long and drawn out.

For a mafia film I’ve always preferred Goodfellas by a long shot. Just seems better paced with a more enthralling story in my view.
Old 05-27-20, 06:25 PM

The Godfather and Casablanca are overrated in the same way that The Beatles and Led Zeppelin are overrated: if you don’t absolutely love them unconditionally then they will seem overrated to you because they are held in such high esteem and it’s almost heresy to criticize them.
Old 05-27-20, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,023 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
The ones that always tend to stick out to me when I think of films that are deemed classics that I can’t get into are The Godfather and The Godfather Part II.

I mean don’t get me wrong I can see why they’re highly regarded and why others like them. Personally though they just don’t do much for me, and I never have a big desire to want to watch them. Some memorable scenes and some great acting, but I just find them a bit too long and drawn out.

For a mafia film I’ve always preferred Goodfellas by a long shot. Just seems better paced with a more enthralling story in my view.
Man, I'm the complete opposite. I don't usually go for mafia stuff, but I love the Godfather. It just flies by despite the length. Goodfellas, on the other hand, just doesn't do it for me. It's fine for what it is, but by the time you get to the 80's and Liotta is all drugged out, I just want it to end.

I'd agree Godfather II is a tad overrated. I get why people like it. It's a supremely well crafted film, but as was mentioned earlier, it tells us nothing we didn't already know the moment Michael shuts the door on Kay at the end of the first movie. I think the flashbacks and the pacing are fine though.
Old 05-27-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,318 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Goodfellas, on the other hand, just doesn't do it for me. It's fine for what it is, but by the time you get to the 80's and Liotta is all drugged out, I just want it to end.
I agreed wholeheartedly with this.

I love The Godfather. I don’t think it insists upon itself at all!
Old 05-28-20, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

As much as I like the film, THE GODFATHER deserves some criticism for romanticizing a bunch of predatory criminals who terrorized and intimidated a specific immigrant population and for insisting on infusing them with some kind of code that never existed. I love GOODFELLAS for the filmmaking, but it deserves extra points for showing what vicious, amoral, self-centered thugs they were and how no kind of code ever existed and how clearly they deserved what they got coming to them. The book THE GODFATHER was based on was just designed as a piece of very readable commercial trash, only loosely tied to any real events, while GOODFELLAS is based on a journalist's account of real events and the journalist's extensive interviews with some of the protagonists.
Mabuse (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 11:22 AM
Banned

Well said.

Yes The Godfather is very romantic. It romanticizes everything and says it’s okay because the Don refuses to deal in narcotics. So he’s not a bad guy.
Old 05-28-20, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I'd agree Godfather II is a tad overrated. I get why people like it. It's a supremely well crafted film, but as was mentioned earlier, it tells us nothing we didn't already know the moment Michael shuts the door on Kay at the end of the first movie. I think the flashbacks and the pacing are fine though.
Since Michael Cimino was brought up earlier, Part II sure feels like it was made by him. So many long and drawn-out scenes. In comparison with Part I, which has many scenes concluding with an attack on someone. That suspense angle was mostly missed in Part II.
Old 05-28-20, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

There’s that saying about how movies aren’t good or bad based on what they’re about but *how* they are what they’re about. The Godfather films are about awful people but they are just amazing to watch and soak in the atmosphere and music.
atrium (05-28-20)
Old 05-28-20, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts

If 2012 is considered old the Avengers movies

They are all way too long and maybe have 10 minutes of them fighting in their superhero costumes.

Old 05-28-20, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
If 2012 is considered old the Avengers movies

They are all way too long and maybe have 10 minutes of them fighting in their superhero costumes.
Really all of the Marvel movies to me. There is just too many of them in trying to keep up with the story.
JeffTheAlpaca (05-27-24)
Old 05-29-20, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Well said.

Yes The Godfather is very romantic. It romanticizes everything and says it’s okay because the Don refuses to deal in narcotics. So he’s not a bad guy.
From the golden age of filmmaking to now, Hollywood has glamorized the gangster lifestyle. Just watch any early Cagney or Bogey picture.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.