Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bright 2 (D: Ayer) S: Smith, Edgerton — Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-18, 09:35 AM

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,100 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4IF3i2N7wVk" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Netflix has taken a shine to Bright, the streamer's fantasy cop drama that debuted this December.

The streaming giant has greenlighted a sequel that is expected to reunite stars Will Smith and Joel Edgerton, along with director David Ayer.

Bright takes place in a fictional Los Angeles filled with fairies, elves and magic wands while acting as an allegory for real-world race relations. It follows a veteran cop (Smith) who reluctantly takes on a new partner, an Orc played by Edgerton, and has to protect a magical wand from law enforcement, criminals and an array of supernatural characters.

Eric Newman and Bryan Unkeless are also returning as producers.

One key player who will not be returning for round two is writer Max Landis, who was paid a reported $3 million to $4 million for his screenplay in 2016 when the project ignited a bidding war before ultimately selling to Netflix.

Ayer will be taking over scripting duties. The director commonly takes on both writer and director responsibilities on his features, including the WWII film Fury and the cop drama End of Watch.

Bright had a reported budget of $90 million, making it Netflix's first big foray into tentpole filmmaking. Rumors of a follow-up have been swirling since before the feature's Dec. 22 premiere, but the streamer was waiting to see how the movie performed with audiences to make anything official.

While the film was largely panned by critics, with The Hollywood Reporter's John DeFore calling it "plenty embarrassing," Bright is currently the No. 1 movie on Netflix in over 190 countries, and is being streamed more by international users than domestic.

According to Nielsen, an average of 11 million U.S. Netflix users streamed Bright during its first three days of release. And this is an underestimation, since Nielsen only tracks users who watched the film through a TV, not those who streamed on a computer or mobile device.
Old 01-03-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
re: Bright 2 (D: Ayer) S: Smith, Edgerton — Netflix

a yay at no Max Landis
Old 01-03-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing this more as a limited series than a second movie. to me that would be a better bang for the buck...
Old 01-03-18, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts

Looking forward to this.
Old 01-03-18, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Bad Boys in Mordor
Old 01-03-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm in. Looking forward this more than the next SW film.
Old 01-03-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Bad Boys in Mordor

Shit just got real.
Old 01-03-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't seen the first one yet (cause I don't have Netflix), but hey if they want to do a sequel, even more awesome. From the reviews, it seems like they need to flesh out the world if nothing else. Now bring on the blu-ray! .
Old 01-03-18, 03:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Brighter?
Old 01-03-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Cool. Bring it.
Old 05-08-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

MAY 07, 2018 12:43pm PT by Borys Kit
'Bright' Sequel Lands 'Beauty and the Beast' Writer (Exclusive)

David Ayer is returning as director.

Netflix’s sequel to Bright, the digital streamer’s Will Smith-starring action fantasy, is moving ahead with a new writer.

Evan Spiliotopoulos, who worked on Disney's live-action Beauty and the Beast as well as the Snow White-centric fantasy The Huntsman: Winter's War, has been tapped to pen the script for the follow-up, which will once again be directed by David Ayer.

Not returning is Max Landis, the scribe who wrote the initial spec script for the first movie and was paid a reported $3 million to $4 million in 2016, when the project ignited a bidding war that Netflix ultimately won. Sources say Landis and Ayer disagreed creatively, which led to a parting of ways.

Smith and Joel Edgerton are expected to return as mismatched colleagues, a veteran cop and his partner, an Orc, respectively. (Bright takes place in a fictional Los Angeles filled with fairies, elves and magic wands, while acting as an allegory for real-world race relations.) The original story saw the pair reluctantly team up to protect a magical wand from law enforcement, criminals and an array of supernatural characters.

Eric Newman and Bryan Unkeless are returning as producers.

Bright was a major movie for Netflix, costing a reported $90 million to make but designed to show Hollywood that the streamer could compete against studio blockbusters. It proved to be an audience hit, with tracking firm Nielsen reporting that 11 million U.S. Netflix users streamed the pic during its first three days of release. (And that, observers pointed out, was an underestimation as Nielsen only counted users who watched the film through a TV, not those who streamed on a computer or mobile device.)

Spiliotopoulos is repped by WME, manager D.J. Talbot, Fourth Wall Management and attorney Sean Marks.
Old 05-08-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So I guess they will build the mythology as they go along. I thought Landis already had it envisioned. Unless that's also what Netflix bought with their 3-4 million in 2016.
Old 05-08-18, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

I am down with this. The first one caught me by surprise and I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-08-18, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I loved the Universe they created, but found the actual plot to be way too derivative. There is definitely potential there though. Not sure why things like this do not go to say a Sanderson for the world building and story and then flesh the script from there.
Old 05-08-18, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
So I guess they will build the mythology as they go along. I thought Landis already had it envisioned. Unless that's also what Netflix bought with their 3-4 million in 2016.
Considering how well the 1st movie worked out for NF, I don't understand why they would want to change course.

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I am down with this. The first one caught me by surprise and I really enjoyed it.
Same here.
Old 05-08-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Landis also had some accusations out against him, Netflix is trying to avoid anymore of that after the Danny Mastersen and Kevin Spacey stuff. Apparently the Ayer/Landis disagreements is the nice way out, but that's just gossip.

I always like his movie ideas without liking the script that spawns from them.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-08-18 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-08-18, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Landis also had some accusations out against him, Netflix is trying to avoid anymore of that after the Danny Mastersen stuff. Apparently the Ayer/Landis disagreements is the nice way out, but that's just gossip.

I always like his movie ideas without liking the script that spawns from them.

Ah, that's right.
Old 05-08-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Enjoyed the first. Definitely interested in seeing more.
Old 05-09-18, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Landis also had some accusations out against him, Netflix is trying to avoid anymore of that after the Danny Mastersen and Kevin Spacey stuff. Apparently the Ayer/Landis disagreements is the nice way out, but that's just gossip.
OK, thanks.
Old 01-08-20, 10:55 AM

Re: Bright 2 (D: Ayer) S: Smith, Edgerton — Netflix

Netflix really jumped the gun on announcing a sequel.

2017’s Bright was one of Netflix’s first major plays at original movies. The $90 million Will Smith visual effects film was also criticized for exhibiting Netflix’s underdeveloped narratives on a grand scale. However, Netflix announced a sequel before Bright even premiered and Ayer says that is still in the works.

“Still in development,” Ayer said. “We’re working on it so hopefully we’ll be able to mount that up soon.”

Smith played a human cop partnered with an orc (Joel Edgerton) in a modern day Los Angeles filled with fantastical creatures. Ayer indicated the sequel would take advantage of the world-building established but not fully explored in the first film.

“It’s a great opportunity for all of us to explore the world more,” Ayer said. “I think people felt like there was a lot of doorways to explore. People were like, ‘Tell us about the dragon. Tell us about this, the history.’ So it’s a very rich world and I think we’re going to drill down some more.”

If Ayer is hearing from Bright fans, that backs up reports that millions of people did watch Bright and they weren’t all critical.
https://www.slashfilm.com/bright-2-u...fD-H27o3VbuMB4
Old 01-08-20, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

Didn’t you post that same thing in The Walking Dead thread? (With an opposite view ...)

Sounds like a more concise version of Gimpwit’s comments on the Rick Grimes “movies”.
Old 01-08-20, 12:32 PM

No. That was about dumping it on a streaming service.
Old 05-05-20, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Looks like Ayer won't be working on the sequel

https://deadline.com/2020/05/bright-...on-1202926664/

EXCLUSIVE: Netflix is negotiating with Louis Leterrier to direct Bright 2, the sequel to the 2017 film that kicked off the streamer’s feature film franchise launch aspirations.

David Ayer directed the first film and was attached to the sequel, but he has been focused on rewriting to direct Dirty Dozen for Warner Bros, and he has other projects at Netflix.

The film will reteam Will Smith and Joel Edgerton in the tale of mismatched crime fighting partners, one of whom is an orc. The script is by Ayer and Evan Spiliotopoulos with a rewrite by T.S. Nowlin. The pic is produced by Ayer, Eric Newman and Bryan Unkeless.

Netflix set sights on a sequel in early 2018 after the original was released and watched by a record estimated 60 million, with far and away the most views for a Netflix film in its first week. Those numbers have been eclipsed by a number of followup big budget films, all topped by Extraction, the latest action film that Deadline revealed is getting a sequel after Netflix projected that the film will be viewed by 90 million households in its first four weeks of release.

Sources said that the Bright sequel picks up the travails of the odd partnership, but sets it on an international stage. Bought by Netflix after a ferocious spec package auction, the film got so-so reviews, but it was important in that it got the streamer in business with Smith, and now big movie stars routinely top line Netflix film and TV series.

In Leterrier, Netflix is bringing in a director who helmed Now You See Me, Clash of the Titans, The Transporter films, Unleashed and for Netflix he has directed all 10 episodes of the series The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, which he exec produced.

They will ready the film to begin production as soon as it is possible to begin making films again.

Leterrier is repped by CAA and Management 360.
Old 05-06-20, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

wow. I was expecting a trailer to drop not a new director announced...
Old 04-22-22, 03:43 PM

Bloomberg reporter Lucas Shaw also confirms that Netflix has also canceled plans to move forward with Bright 2, a sequel to the 2017 David Ayer-directed movie that starred Smith. In the original film, Smith starred as Daryl Ward, an LAPD detective in a version of LA where humans coexist with a number of different mystical creatures. He was slated to reprise his role in the sequel. The original film was not received well by critics but was reported at the time to be one of the biggest film releases ever for the streaming service, so it was no wonder that a sequel was announced to be in development in January 2018. After four years, the film has officially been canceled. The film also got a spin-off animated series called Bright: Samurai Soul in 2021, but it is currently unknown if any other Bright projects will arrive on Netflix.
https://collider.com/will-smith-bright-2-canceled-national-geographic-series-delayed/

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.