Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

Old 01-25-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts
Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

I went to see this at the discount theater last night and walked out before it was over (and I have not done that since Cool World!).
I imagine if you were a fan of the book, it would be fun/exciting to see it brought to life. I am not crapping on the visuals.
This movie was STUPID. The characters were STUPID.
I left after this happened:
Spoiler:
The heroine is being pursued by a giant zombie robot that wants to kill her. He catches up to her and starts killing the people trying to protect her. A grenade damages the robot enough that it "dies." The heroine IMMEDIATELY turns, and runs to the dying robot to comfort it and express sadness about its death. Literally, 30 seconds earlier this robot was a killing machine, hell-bent on murdering her!!

Apart from the entire premise, which was insane, scene after scene had characters doing things that made no sense, and the plot driven by ridiculous coincidences.
Old 01-25-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, L

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I went to see this at the discount theater last night and walked out before it was over (and I have not done that since Cool World!).
I imagine if you were a fan of the book, it would be fun/exciting to see it brought to life. I am not crapping on the visuals.
This movie was STUPID. The characters were STUPID.
I left after this happened:
Spoiler:
The heroine is being pursued by a giant zombie robot that wants to kill her. He catches up to her and starts killing the people trying to protect her. A grenade damages the robot enough that it "dies." The heroine IMMEDIATELY turns, and runs to the dying robot to comfort it and express sadness about its death. Literally, 30 seconds earlier this robot was a killing machine, hell-bent on murdering her!!

Apart from the entire premise, which was insane, scene after scene had characters doing things that made no sense, and the plot driven by ridiculous coincidences.
Too bad you walked out. Your spoiler gets explained a little bit after that.

Old 01-25-19, 10:07 AM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Almost as bad as watching 40 minutes of clips of a 2 hour movie on YouTube and saying it sucks or watching a movie stop and go over multiple viewings while commenting on a message board and saying it sucks.

I just don't get walking out of a movie. Just last night, I thought Serenity was fucking abysmal, but I didn't leave. I don't feel you can judge a movie if you didn't see the whole thing.

Last edited by dex14; 01-25-19 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-25-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Too bad you walked out. Your spoiler gets explained a little bit after that.
I assumed that Hester's behavior was the result of the connection she had to the Terminator as a child.
I did not walk out BECAUSE of that scene. That was the point at which I had enough of this stupid, stupid, stupid movie.

This also happened:
Spoiler:
The villain (an evil archeologist!) has constructed a nuclear weapon. The only thing that can stop it is a special key. The dying Terminator gives Hester a necklace that belonged to Hester's mother. Do you think that will turn out to be the key? Good thing that killing machine carried it around for a decade or more so he could return it to her. Yeesh!

If this was just supposed to be for kids then okay, my mistake for ever going.
Truth is, despite the low RT score, I was encouraged by James Berardinelli's very positive review. He is a critic I am usually in sync with.

Last edited by Count Dooku; 01-25-19 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-25-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I assumed that Hester's behavior was the result of the connection she had to the Terminator as a child.
I did not walk out BECAUSE of that scene. That was the point at which I had enough of this stupid, stupid, stupid movie.
That's part of it but then it gets twisted, which is why she ran off.
Old 03-19-19, 12:50 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts
Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

Yikes. This was a turd. Some the CGI looked like video game cut scenes. Bland story. And yes, as mentioned, the ending reminded me of Star Wars.
Hera Hilmar and Leila George were hot though.
Old 03-19-19, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mortal Engines (2018, D: Rivers, P: Jackson/Walsh) S: Hilmar, Sheehan, Weaving, Lang

Hera Hilmar and Leila George were hot though.
Indeed.

Old 03-20-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I rented this from Redbox. You know what I’m in the minority, but I kind of liked it. I’d give it a 7 out of 10.

The visuals were absolutely amazing. I get the story is a little convoluted and Hugo Weaving and his motives were a little out there. But overall I found it an interesting visual adventure and enjoyed it for the most part.

It it was interesting seeing the behind the scenes stuff in the BD and how they created the world. Peter Jackson was interviewed ans he was heavily involved with the production.
Old 03-20-19, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A real sleep-inducer for me.
I don't care one bit about any of the characters.
The SFX were amazing though.
Old 05-04-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

I watched it on 3D Blu-ray today. The beginning had promise, but it ended of being overstuffed and just devolving into cliches and bad writing by the end.

Spoiler:
I agree that the side-plot with the daughter and the plumber went nowhere. The only notable thing they did was the daughter opening the front doors on London at the end. Better those two characters were cut completely and they focused more on the pilots.

Speaking of shooting out the engine at the end... good god was that engine fragile. Why didn't any city that was being absorbed try that?

I actually felt the character of Shrike was the most interesting with the best story in the movie. It could've been developed a little bit more, but his death had real pathos, compared to the pilots, who we barely knew.

Some aspects were so unoriginal and so telegraphed it was painful though. The fact that Hugo Weaving's character was Hester's dad was a "no duh" moment from the first flashback. A mother and child living alone somewhere remote, and their only visitor is one man? Dad.

It was entertaining enough with some nice action sequences, especially in 3D, but was left underwhelmed. As my wife said, "this movie should be so much better! Why isn't it?"
Old 05-05-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Your wife is right.
Old 05-05-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Your wife is right.
She typically is.