Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mary Queen of Scots (2018) D : Josie Rourke, S : Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

Just hearing about this now. Sounds like it could be quite interesting and prestigious.

Mary Queen of Scots’ First Look: Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie Get Royal

Posted on Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 by Chris Evangelista

Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie, two actresses at the top of their game right now, are teaming for the lavish historical costume drama Mary Queen of Scots. The upcoming film from director Josie Rourke finds Ronan playing the Queen of Scots herself, while Robbie plays her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I. Historical spoiler alert: the relationship between these two blood relatives is less-than-cordial. A Mary Queen of Scots movie first look reveals Ronan and Robbie in-character.

Saoirse Ronan is gearing up for yet another awards season where she has to tell everyone how to correctly pronounce her name. The Lady Bird actress won’t be in the race alone: she’s likely to face-off for a Best Actress Oscar with Margot Robbie, who is sure to net a nom for her performance in I, Tonya. Beyond awards season, the actresses will come together again for the period drama Mary Queen of Scots. Entertainment Weekly provided an official Mary Queen of Scots first look that finds both Ronan and Robbie looking fabulous.

In the first image, we have Robbie looking icy yet regal as Elizabeth I, aka the Virgin Queen. The monarch ruled for 45 years, and has appeared in multiple dramas in the past, including the 1998 film Elizabeth, featuring Cate Blanchett in the role. Here, Robbie’s Elizabeth finds her claim to the throne of England being challenged by her cousin, Mary Stuart, played by Ronan. Which brings us to the next image.

Saoirse Ronan wearing a wig and riding a horse – what more do you want, folks? Mary Queen of Scots has Ronan’s Mary returning home to Scotland from France after the death of her husband. Mary’s arrival causes conflict with Elizabeth, and multiple factions work behind the scenes to keep one of these women in power while taking down the other.

“Everyone manipulated their relationship,” Robbie says in the EW piece. “It’s complicated, it’s tragic, and it’s bizarre. The only other person in the world who could understand the position they were in was each other.”

While history has Elizabeth as the victor of this skirmish, this film’s title suggests the story will be taking Mary’s side, although director Josie Rourke says “It’s not one against the other. It’s both of them against a particular environment that pitted them against each other.”

I’m intrigued by this film. Ronan and Robbie are both phenomenal actresses, and I’m a sucker for a good costume drama. Part of this story was touched on in the Elizabeth sequel Elizabeth: The Golden Age, but that film was a major disappointment. Perhaps this film will handle the material better.

Mary Queen of Scots‘ story comes from someone who knows a thing or two about political intrigue: House of Cards creator Beau Willimon has penned the script, adapted from the biography My Heart Is My Own: The Life of Mary Queen of Scots by John Guy. Mary Queen of Scots will hit theaters November 2, 2018, just in time for yet another awards season where Saoirse Ronan politely tells everyone how to pronounce her name (just remember: it’s Ser-sha, like “inertia”).

http://www.slashfilm.com/mary-queen-of-scots-movie/
Old 12-12-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Mary Queen of Scots (2018) D : Josie Rourke, S : Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie

Saoirse's got some big corsets to fill:

So does Robbie, but that lineup of pictures can take up a whole thread! Mary posed an easier challenge.
Old 12-12-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Mary Queen of Scots (2018) D : Josie Rourke, S : Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie

I remember reading about this movie a while back. I love me a good Elizabethan costume drama. One of Margot Robbie's idols is Cate Blanchett, so she must have gotten a thrill to play the same character that she did so memorably.
Old 04-19-18, 08:00 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Focus Features announced Wednesday that it is giving Josie Rourke’s Elizabethan biopic “Mary Queen of Scots” a December 7 release, right in the middle of awards season.

The film stars two of this year’s Best Actress Oscar nominees, Saoirse Ronan and Margot Robbie, who will respectively play Mary Stuart and her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I. It follows Mary after her husband, the French monarch Francis II, dies when she is 18. Defying demands that she remarry, she returns to her native Scotland to become Queen there, only to find that it has fallen under Elizabeth’s rule. In a world dominated by men, the two cousins vie for control of England’s throne, setting off a chain reaction of rebellion and conspiracy.

Theater director Josie Rourke makes her feature film directorial debut with this film, with Beau Willimon writing a screenplay adapted from John Guy’s biography “Queen of Scots: The True Life of Mary Stuart.” David Tennant and Guy Pearce also star with Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, and Debra Hayward producing.

With two acclaimed stars in lead roles and a below-the-line crew that includes several Oscar winners such as costume designer Alexandra Byrne and “Slumdog Millionaire” editor Chris Dickens, “Mary Queen of Scots could be a potential awards contender next winter. Last December, Focus released Paul Thomas Anderson’s “Phantom Thread,” steering it to six Oscar nominations including Best Picture.
https://www.thewrap.com/mary-queen-s...ocus-features/
Old 07-11-18, 11:33 AM

Old 07-12-18, 10:14 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wnqjSgMU36U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

"Mary Queen of Scots" explores the turbulent life of the charismatic Mary Stuart (Ronan). Queen of France at 16 and widowed at 18, Mary defies pressure to remarry. Instead, she returns to her native Scotland to reclaim her rightful throne. But Scotland and England fall under the rule of the compelling Elizabeth I (Robbie). Each young Queen beholds her “sister” in fear and fascination. Rivals in power and in love, and female regents in a masculine world, the two must decide how to play the game of marriage versus independence. Determined to rule as much more than a figurehead, Mary asserts her claim to the English throne, threatening Elizabeth’s sovereignty. Betrayal, rebellion, and conspiracies within each court imperil both thrones – and change the course of history.
Old 07-12-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I hope this can live up to the radio drama

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UmMD4ij8GHk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-05-18, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,177 Likes on 4,206 Posts

New International Trailer. Kinda spoilerific if you don't know the story

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/riSROsdT-f0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-05-18, 08:05 AM

This opens limited this week.

Currently 83% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mary_queen_of_scots

Sounds like the performances are stellar.
Old 12-17-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just got back from this and it's just okay. Parts of it play like a low budget BBC show while other parts look great and quite cinematic. There are parts of the film that do drag, with the final act of the film being the best part. I think both women, Robbie and Ronan, were great. Robbie has a much smaller role but shines whenever she is on screen. It's Ronan's film, obviously, though.

If you must see the film then rent it or use your MoviePass or Sinemia for it.
Old 03-18-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

Ronan was great in this and she is probably my favorite actress.

Surprised this did not get a love from the Academy when the Oscar nominees were announced.