Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 11:48 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by islandclaws
They were definitely there. She took them.

So Yoda was just messing with Luke, while also teaching him a lesson. I love it.
Old 12-17-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by slop101
I maintain that it's entitled bullshit when people do this, and it's what makes "fandom" so goddamned toxic.

They're mouth breathers.
Old 12-17-17, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Which is why folks shouldn't spend the money. The last movie I saw in 3-D was Hugo but Scorsese filmed in 3-D and it was amazing.

That's how you're supposed to do it not some bullshit post conversion nonsense that is designed to just take your money.
Every single movie nowadays is all converted in post. It really pisses me off. It's the reason why 3D is dying now. The movie studios aren't willing to put any effort into it but sure are willing to take your extra dollar or two. People forget how amazing "real" 3D movies looked. Remember Avatar?
Old 12-17-17, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Found this entertaining (Language NSFW) and pretty much on the money.

Old 12-18-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet

So Yoda was just messing with Luke, while also teaching him a lesson. I love it.
Well, he did say "There is nothing in that library that the girl already does not possess" ;-)

Saw it for a 2nd time in IMAX earlier and it was even better than the 1st time. A couple of things I didn't notice on initial viewing:

- in the final shot of the falcon, there's a porg on top of R2. So cute
- when they showed the broken lightsaber in Rey's hands, you can see the crystal exposed. Now one of my wishlists for IX is for it to be cracked as well, so that when Rey repairs it, it'll be all staticky and shit like Kylo's.
- Luke's feet don't expose the red mineral on Crait when he slides on it. RJ wasn't hiding the fact that Luke wasn't there.
- the ending was really foreshadowed in the dialogue of Luke ("What do you expect, me to go out there with my laser sword and face the entire First Order?") and Kylo ("you can't be doing this. the effort alone would kill you")

The standout performance for me was Daisy Ridley. She just did a lot of little things that made me love the Rey character even more. The little smile she gives as Luke says "Han was...'Han' about it..." The anguish on her face when she realizes Ben was really never coming back. So great. And she looked gorgeous the whole movie.
Old 12-18-17, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Every single movie nowadays is all converted in post. It really pisses me off. It's the reason why 3D is dying now. The movie studios aren't willing to put any effort into it but sure are willing to take your extra dollar or two. People forget how amazing "real" 3D movies looked. Remember Avatar?

I totally agree. In fact, it was Avatar that got the rest of Hollywood into the whole 3-D market.
Old 12-18-17, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
I was out of town over the weekend (during which I saw the movie), but this fucking thread, my god... rather than looking at it as a movie, taking it on it's own terms, people are using it as a vessel, attaching their own personal wants and agendas to it instead.

I enjoyed it enough - a fun, well-made popcorn movie. And it was better than the last one, which is all it needed to be.
Lies.

The Force Awakens (assuming you're talking about that and not Rogue One) was perfect. By definition, The Last Jedi could not be better. Actually, same goes for Rogue One too.
Old 12-18-17, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JeremyM
The book The Secret History of Star Wars covers it in almost excruciating detail--basically, Lucas either lies his ass off or misremembers the creation process of the films. He'll claim Vader was always Luke's dad, but nothing backs this up.
Yep. Read it.

I guess there can be another explanation: he had it all in his head and didn't want to write it down due to fear of word getting out and ruining things.

But probably not. Lucas has lied about many things. I guess the first major one was that in '77 he always claimed that he had 9 Star Wars movies in the works. Then when he did the sequels, he said "I never said 9 movies. It was always 6".
Old 12-18-17, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Actually, at one point, he said twelve.
Old 12-18-17, 12:23 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Well, he did say "There is nothing in that library that the girl already does not possess" ;-)

Saw it for a 2nd time in IMAX earlier and it was even better than the 1st time. A couple of things I didn't notice on initial viewing:

- when they showed the broken lightsaber in Rey's hands, you can see the crystal exposed. Now one of my wishlists for IX is for it to be cracked as well, so that when Rey repairs it, it'll be all staticky and shit like Kylo's.
- Luke's feet don't expose the red mineral on Crait when he slides on it. RJ wasn't hiding the fact that Luke wasn't there.
- the ending was really foreshadowed in the dialogue of Luke ("What do you expect, me to go out there with my laser sword and face the entire First Order?") and Kylo ("you can't be doing this. the effort alone would kill you")

The standout performance for me was Daisy Ridley. She just did a lot of little things that made me love the Rey character even more. The little smile she gives as Luke says "Han was...'Han' about it..." The anguish on her face when she realizes Ben was really never coming back. So great. And she looked gorgeous the whole movie.
Ha, I didn’t notice the wording of that line. What a well written scene.

I like the porgs, I like all the business with the porgs. I don’t think they were overused.
Old 12-18-17, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El

There's also the whole "there must be another way out, how did he get in here." Then they reveal the only opening was blocked off, so no way Luke got in there through that entrance, right before the Luke reveal.

I mean it was great (as long as it wasn't spoiled for you). You really think man, he just endured all this blaster fire, they really made him super overpowered here and he's going to pull an Obi Won to help them escape, and then he doesn't, and then he does.

As far as the railing against fans, fans have a right to complain, I just think they're missing out. Like when Snoke goes, you can either complain to yourself man, I wish he had more backstory, or you can go hey, that was pretty cool, now there's a cool scene where they fight together against the imperial guard and just enjoy it. For nostalgia purposes we do it all the time even when things are nonsensical, but for fans that switch turns on and off like that. But I'd say most people in the theater I was in thought that was a cool scene.
Old 12-18-17, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones

Also, I don't like to speak poorly about the dead, but holy shit, Carrie Fisher is a fucking terrible actress in this. Not sure if it was the age or drugs, but jeez.
Thank you!
I have a bald spot from scratching my head so much reading people talk about how great her acting was in this.
Old 12-18-17, 01:12 AM
Banned by request

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Luke’s arc in this film is the most mature and developed arc for any character in all the SW films. Luke’s arc packs in more power, breadth, and depth than Anakin’s does over three films.
Old 12-18-17, 03:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Overall, I really liked it, aside from the Leia in space thing. That was... bad. That and a few failed attempts at witty dialog (ie: the call before the first battle)

If I had to rank the three most recent films, I'd put this in second, with Rogue One in first and TFA third. There's a lot to like in this one for sure and I think it'll age well.

I haven't read any of the specific criticisms yet, so that should be fun.
Old 12-18-17, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As far as the railing against fans, fans have a right to complain, I just think they're missing out. Like when Snoke goes, you can either complain to yourself man, I wish he had more backstory, or you can go hey, that was pretty cool, now there's a cool scene where they fight together against the imperial guard and just enjoy it.
I guess it would be nice to turn off my brain that way, but I'm just not capable.

But yeah, calling some fans entitled mouthbreathers who should be happy with what they're handed is bad form. How boring if everyone was on the same page. Half the fun of this fandom is theorizing, speculating and yes, even nit-picking. Sure, it can turn toxic -- but there's also a lot of constructive feedback that hopefully the people in charge listen to and consider going forward. Star Wars could potentially devolve into Transformers-level tripe otherwise, especially when they're pumping out a new movie each year until doomsday.

Originally Posted by Maxflier
I have a bald spot from scratching my head so much reading people talk about how great her acting was in this.
Fisher certainly doesn't deserve an Oscar nomination for this, but I think she did as well as could be expected. I'm taking into account the years of substance abuse, ECT treatment and her struggles with bipolar disorder. There was a lot of hard living there. She was never going to recapture that OT Leia spark, but I thought her acting in TLJ was more than adequate. It was also nice to see Leia looking stately and regal while doing her duties on the command bridge, as opposed to those mechanic coveralls they had her in for most of the last movie.
Old 12-18-17, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Finally saw it today. LOVED it! I need some distance before giving a honest ranking, but as it stands now it’s right up there with ESB, and possibly surpasses it. I’ll get the Blu-Ray day one.
And I’m stoked to see what Rian does with his own trilogy.
Old 12-18-17, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I guess it would be nice to turn off my brain that way, but I'm just not capable.

But yeah, calling some fans entitled mouthbreathers who should be happy with what they're handed is bad form. How boring if everyone was on the same page. Half the fun of this fandom is theorizing, speculating and yes, even nit-picking. Sure, it can turn toxic -- but there's also a lot of constructive feedback that hopefully the people in charge listen to and consider going forward. Star Wars could potentially devolve into Transformers-level tripe otherwise, especially when they're pumping out a new movie each year until doomsday.

Fisher certainly doesn't deserve an Oscar nomination for this, but I think she did as well as could be expected. I'm taking into account the years of substance abuse, ECT treatment and her struggles with bipolar disorder. There was a lot of hard living there. She was never going to recapture that OT Leia spark, but I thought her acting in TLJ was more than adequate. It was also nice to see Leia looking stately and regal while doing her duties on the command bridge, as opposed to those mechanic coveralls they had her in for most of the last movie.
You know how you're the most honest and meanest to those closest to you. It's kind of like that. Fans nitpick because they love Star Wars. I don't see anyone giving a damn about how crappy the latest Transformers is.

I agree with you about Fisher. I think she did a damn fine job. Plus I think she did a much better job here then she did with TFA. That was very wooden performance I think. Her performance here had a lot more heart. And remember it's not like she's had been doing this kind of acting on a regular basis in her recent years. She really did shine a lot through her treatment of this script. I feel bad thinking of her as a drug addled crazy has been even though she was that in a lot of ways she was more of a genuine person who struggled with some demons in her life. Hearing Mark Hamill memorialize her at Star Wars celebration was definitely a very touching moment.

Here's the 5 min tribute video and the hour long Mark Hamill panel for those interested.

Old 12-18-17, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Overall, I really liked it, aside from the Leia in space thing. .
I hate to talk like this because Princess Leia is near and dear to my heart, but good god Carrie Fisher was awful in TFA and TLJ (I loved TFA, but she was the weak link).

I don't blame her because her character had a certain feisty personality that probably doesn't translate as a 60 year old women (she would have come off like Joan Rivers). I thought Ford seamlessly got back into Han Solo (which I was very surprised cause I thought he was done with that character) as he was a strong point of TFA. Even though I did not like the way they portrayed Luke in TLJ, I thought he was great as an angry hermit. But Carrie just had too much plastic surgery where she couldn't even talk right anymore, and didn't have that spark that Leia had.

She is 60 years old and the years of hard living aged her more then most people, but if you see her at Lucas AFI Ceremony in 2005 when she around 50 years old, she still looks young and vibrant, and she gave a great speech that night. That is the Princess Leia I wanted to see.

Old 12-18-17, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It would also explain why Yoda had no problem blowing the tree up. But then he also said there was nothing in those texts Rey didn’t already know, so it would seem redundant if she did take them.
Actually, I believe Yoda's exact words were something like "that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." So, Yoda knew and was essentially trolling Luke.
Old 12-18-17, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Yep. Read it.

I guess there can be another explanation: he had it all in his head and didn't want to write it down due to fear of word getting out and ruining things.

But probably not. Lucas has lied about many things. I guess the first major one was that in '77 he always claimed that he had 9 Star Wars movies in the works. Then when he did the sequels, he said "I never said 9 movies. It was always 6".
And I believe I read that, in one of the early scripts for Empire, Luke actually met his father, who was definitely not Darth Vader.
Old 12-18-17, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Random question, at the end when the rebels are all aboard the Falcon and Finn is looking for a blanket for Rose, it looked like the Jedi texts were in that drawer with the blanket. It was a quick shot so I thought maybe I imagined it. Did anyone else notice this and can confirm or deny?
Yeah, Rey definitely took the books, it's been mentioned by a lot of people. It gives a new dimension to Yoda burning down the tree and saying that Rey already has all the knowledge in those books, because he knows she took the books!
Old 12-18-17, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Won't type too much since most of my thoughts have been mentioned but I thought this was a steaming pile of garbage. Anyone who's a fan of SW lore rather than Michael Bay movies will probably share my feelings. I felt like I was watching an episode of Scorpion, where I had to check my brain at the door.

Be right back, Watching Ep1 a couple times to wash this taste outta my mouth.
Old 12-18-17, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Luke’s arc in this film is the most mature and developed arc for any character in all the SW films. Luke’s arc packs in more power, breadth, and depth than Anakin’s does over three films.
No doubt. That reminds me of something I read somewhere about Luke's situation; This is a Star Wars movie that isn't about growing up it's about growing old.
Old 12-18-17, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
No doubt. That reminds me of something I read somewhere about Luke's situation; This is a Star Wars movie that isn't about growing up it's about growing old.
I thought it was about letting the past the die....hell... kill it, if you have to.

The film accomplished that with the OT characters, various TFA ones and certain portions of its audience.
Old 12-18-17, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

So you all are cool with the fact that they made Luke someone who would (almost) kill a child relative rather than trying to help them? After all he went through in the OT?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.