Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I would think that Disney and Lucasfilm would be concerned about merchandizing potential than box office receipts. It wasn't the movies that George Lucas a billionaire, it was the toys and other shit.

I think that Star Wars might be the new Star Trek. The brand has peaked, and it's now mature, growing stale in popular culture, and now facing a decline.

Go back twenty years and look at Star Trek. Two tv series running concurrently. An active movie series. Lines of comic books and novels. Walmart even carried Star Trek action figures and toys. It got over-saturated.

Sounds a lot like where Star Wars was after the Disney buyout.

Lucasfilm should be concerned that a segment of fans have rejected the direction TLJ took. The casual fans and general audiences might have enjoyed the movie, but they aren't the bread and butter. The toys are pegwarming on the shelves even though production was decreased.

Like Star Trek, the brand may not be dead, but it's best days are behind it.

Unlike Trek, though, they do seem to be marketing the franchise to a younger demographic with the Disney Channel cartoons and Forces of Destiny, but it's yet to be seen if any interest they manage to create in kids will carry over with them as they grow older.
Old 01-16-18, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I would think that Disney and Lucasfilm would be concerned about merchandizing potential than box office receipts. It wasn't the movies that George Lucas a billionaire, it was the toys and other shit.

I think that Star Wars might be the new Star Trek. The brand has peaked, and it's now mature, growing stale in popular culture, and now facing a decline.

Go back twenty years and look at Star Trek. Two tv series running concurrently. An active movie series. Lines of comic books and novels. Walmart even carried Star Trek action figures and toys. It got over-saturated.

Sounds a lot like where Star Wars was after the Disney buyout.

Lucasfilm should be concerned that a segment of fans have rejected the direction TLJ took. The casual fans and general audiences might have enjoyed the movie, but they aren't the bread and butter. The toys are pegwarming on the shelves even though production was decreased.

Like Star Trek, the brand may not be dead, but it's best days are behind it.

Unlike Trek, though, they do seem to be marketing the franchise to a younger demographic with the Disney Channel cartoons and Forces of Destiny, but it's yet to be seen if any interest they manage to create in kids will carry over with them as they grow older.
Disagree. Over Christmas I saw my 5 and 7 year old nieces enthusiastically watch the Last Jedi and then play with lightsabers all afternoon, pretending to be Rey and Luke.

The brand is fine. Its the older generation thats getting in a huff about it.
Old 01-16-18, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Even at the height of its popularity Trek never really took over the toy aisle as much as SW has consistently over the past few decades. Plus Disney has their own stores and amusement parks to grow the brand. And laser swords, never underestimate the appeal of laser swords. And Legos. Heck there's an $800 lego millennium falcon that lego can't keep in stock.

If the prequel trilogy didn't kill the brand, with its oversaturation of the market before having the Disney marketing push, this trilogy won't.
Old 01-16-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig

If the prequel trilogy didn't kill the brand, with its oversaturation of the market before having the Disney marketing push, this trilogy won't.
I agree in that SW as a brand will never die. I think after Episode 9 (and essentially the end of the OT characters/story linking) many OT fans will move on, and Disney will really have to appeal to the younger demo.

That is why I actually think it is smart to keep churning out SW movies to keep them relevant. The younger SW fanbase is probably not as rabid as OT fans who grew up with the movies, as they look at SW just like every blockbuster movie (they see it and move on to the next one). So if they is a SW movie that comes out every 2 years, then it keep the brand relevant for merchandising, theme parks, etc. But you are never going to get the crazy cult like OT fans anymore (I'm one of them) because the movies just don't resonate in that same crazy way with the younger fans.

My nephews and their friends (high school aged) all like TLJ, and enjoyed it like they would The Avengers, Jurassic World, etc. But they have moved on and awaiting the next blockbuster. They will be there for the next SW movie, and the next one, just like they will be there for the next Jurassic World, the next Avengers (But they are not anxiously waiting for them like we did during the OT days). To them, they are all the same.
Old 01-16-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Well what if the trend continues? What if the next one grosses $800 million? It is still a lot but these movies are hideously expensive to make and market. The studio spent what $4 billion for the rights? Their criteria for continued success is completely different than looking at a single movie in a vacuum. And a previous poster said if you didnt like TLJ then skip the RJ trilogy. Trust me, that is the last thing the studio wants. I will be absolutely shocked if he is not fired.
What if the Episode 9 follows the trend of every third film in each trilogy and out-grosses the previous film?

In the end, money talks. Period.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 01-16-18 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

They've already made their money back and then some at this point. Their goal is to keep it going for as long as possible, for sure, but in their mind they think this is the right way to go with it.

The only people offline I've talked to that hated the movie also hated TFA and Rogue One and thought Disney butchered Star Wars from the onset. So there was little hope TLJ was going to do any better. Most everyone else I've talked to seems to really like it, which isn't something I ran into with any of the prequels, and the franchise survived that so who knows.

Pretty small survey group though.
Old 01-16-18, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
They will be there for the next SW movie, and the next one, just like they will be there for the next Jurassic World, the next Avengers (But they are not anxiously waiting for them like we did during the OT days). To them, they are all the same.
Yes, Star Wars has lost its specialness. It's just another tentpole franchise. The brand is being diluted.

Having said that kids and fanboys still eat this shit up - I remember how hard they defended the prequels. Pretty much anything they are given will be eaten up and defended. Those Star Wars legos fly off the shelves.

Also JJ - who was an awful hire and is responsible for the awful mapping out of this trilogy - is a pandering hype master so he'll undoubtedly smoke and mirror butts into the seat.
Old 01-16-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

$1.3B (the #1 movie of 2017*, btw) and the franchise is stale and on par with Star Trek? Has a Star Trek movie ever had a wiff of $1B? You guys are hilarious.

*and saved the entire year of cinema apparently.
Old 01-16-18, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
$1.3B (the #1 movie of 2017*, btw) and the franchise is stale and on par with Star Trek? Has a Star Trek movie ever had a wiff of $1B? You guys are hilarious.

Gloom and fucking doomers.
Old 01-16-18, 04:45 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Gloom and fucking doomers.
Perfect.
Old 01-16-18, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Last Jedi Director Almost Ditched Broom Boy Ending

https://movieweb.com/last-jedi-diffe...-no-broom-kid/

I said it should have been left off as soon as I left the theater. It's not a classic Star Wars type ending. The scene would work as a post credit sequence. Maybe the Special Edition will change it
Old 01-17-18, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
What if the Episode 9 follows the trend of every third film in each trilogy and out-grosses the previous film?

In the end, money talks. Period.
Lol, it quite likely will because Abrams will go even more hardcore fan-boy-ey for Episode 9 than he did in the TFA, and the tone and plotting will be completely different. I liked TFA quite a bit despite being more a remake than an actual new episode.
Old 01-17-18, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Last Jedi Director Almost Ditched Broom Boy Ending

https://movieweb.com/last-jedi-diffe...-no-broom-kid/

I said it should have been left off as soon as I left the theater. It's not a classic Star Wars type ending. The scene would work as a post credit sequence. Maybe the Special Edition will change it
I had major issues with the movie but I really like the broom boy scene. In fact I AGREE with the premise that they needed to get out of the Skywalker rut and open the universe up, I just think they did it in one of the worst plotted movies ever. Why people are up in arms over that I have no idea.
Old 01-17-18, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

http://variety.com/2017/biz/box-offi...ce-1202630358/

I love how everyone has to be sarcastic on the Internet, as everyone morphs into a smartass when they start typing on their keyboard. I hate to break it to you guys but 99% of the humor on social media isn't funny. I won't be sarcastic or a smartass, you can read this Variety article and make your own decision.
Old 01-17-18, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

http://variety.com/2017/biz/box-offi...ce-1202630358/

I won't be sarcastic or a smartass, you can read this Variety article and make your own decision.
Why are you quoting an article from before TLJ opened?

Here's a Variety article from the end of the year:
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/bo...-2-1202650420/
“Jedi” and “Jumanji” helped lift the entire domestic box office for 2017 to $11.12 billion, down 2.3% from last year’s $11.38 billion and off slightly from 2015’s $11.14 billion, according to comScore. The gap for 2017 had been more than 6% at the end of the worst summer in a decade, but performances by “It,” “Thor: Ragnarok,” “Justice League,” “Jedi,” and “Jumanji” closed most of that margin.
And, of course, the article you quoted once again shows the lie that TLJ somehow was a "disappointment" for not meeting TFA's box office:
Though it’s expected to lead the holiday box office, “The Last Jedi” is unlikely to equal the haul of “The Force Awakens,” which benefited from reuniting the original cast members decades after they last shared the screen.
Old 01-17-18, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Why are you quoting an article from before TLJ opened?

:
My point has always been about not how it performed (that is another argument that we have our opinion on), but that the industry relies on it to pump up the box office at the end of the year. That is why I linked the article from before it came out, as it was hopeful (along with Jumanji) to save the dismal summer box office returns.
Old 01-17-18, 07:12 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

My point has always been about not how it performed (that is another argument that we have our opinion on), but that the industry relies on it to pump up the box office at the end of the year. That is why I linked the article from before it came out, as it was hopeful (along with Jumanji) to save the dismal summer box office returns.
So you’re saying it/they didn’t? Seems like it/they did, since box office was only 2.4% down from the previous year.
Old 01-17-18, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The Bluelitespecial cut?

Someone Edited ‘The Last Jedi’ To Make A ‘Chauvinist Cut’ Without Women

The misogynistic edit is a mere 46 minutes, which the uploader notes was “not ideal,” but “it had to be done.” (The real version is 2 hours, 32 minutes.) The uploader included a list of everything taken out:

- No whiny/reluctant/murderous psycho Luke.

- NO HALDO! She simply doesn’t exist. Her whole subplot doesn’t exist. The Kamikaze is carried out by Poe. ( = Poe dies.)

- Leia never scolds, questions nor demotes Poe.

- Lea dies. Kylo kills her.

- Kylo is more badass and much less conflicted and volatile.

- Kylo takes on more of Snoke’s guards, Rey struggles with a single one.

- No bomber heroism by china girl in the beginning.

- No Canto Bight.

- No superpowered Rey.

- Luke is not a semi-force-ghost and is smashed by the first laser cannon shot. (sorry, I just had to!)

- Phasma is finished after the first blow by Finn. (Women are naturally weaker than men, she isn’t force-sensitive, and we know nothing about any exo-skeleton in her suit)

- Asian chick speaks less, doesn’t bully Finn, Finn doesn’t try to escape, she is never formally introduced. She is just there and occasionally smiles at Finn or screams “Finn!”. She has no sister. Serves her right for all the heinous stuff she did.

- Lots of little cuts reducing the number of female facial shots. Too many to count. (Pun intended.)

- Quite a few scenes rearranged so that the flow of the shortened movie is still somewhat coherent.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b04f3c55a63b27
Old 01-17-18, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
So you’re saying it/they didn’t? Seems like it/they did, since box office was only 2.4% down from the previous year.
Yeah, I'm not sure what his point is, unless he's trying to revive his tortured-logic "critics only gave TLJ good reviews to prop up the 'the industry'" argument that was thoroughly debunked already.
Old 01-17-18, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Yeah, I'm not sure what his point is, unless he's trying to revive his tortured-logic "critics only gave TLJ good reviews to prop up the 'the industry'" argument that was thoroughly debunked already.
More sarcasm from the internet....

I was responding to 'Michael Corvin' who took a shot at me (not directly, but I assume it was to me) in his post yesterday about SW saving Cinema. I just responded to HIM, not you or Brack, just to point out in the article from Variety, that Cinema counts on SW to make big numbers to save what was a bad summer at the box office. I even went out of my way in my last post to say this wasn't about how TLJ performed as that was another argument we have all formed opinions on by now.

Last edited by mcnabb; 01-17-18 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 08:54 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I was going to post this saying the exact thing.
Old 01-17-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Old 01-17-18, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I agree with the poster a few pages back who said they need to ditch Chewie, R2-D2 and C-3PO. With everyone who was in the OT is now dead, there's no reason to keep shoehorning these characters into the movies.
Old 01-17-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I agree with the poster a few pages back who said they need to ditch Chewie, R2-D2 and C-3PO. With everyone who was in the OT is now dead, there's no reason to keep shoehorning these characters into the movies.
$$$
Old 01-17-18, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More sarcasm from the internet....
Because that's.... unusual? Have you been on the internet for long?

I was responding to 'Michael Corvin' who took a shot at me (not directly, but I assume it was to me) in his post yesterday about SW saving Cinema. I just responded to HIM, not you or Brack, just to point out in the article from Variety, that Cinema counts on SW to make big numbers to save what was a bad summer at the box office...
So Michael Corvin states that TLJ largely saved the previous year's box office, and you assume it's a shot at you personally, so decide to make a "private" reply on a public forum, and get uppity when other people reply?

Also, there's now a single monolithic entity called "Cinema" now? I know it seems like Disney is gobbling up all the other studios, but it hasn't gotten that far yet.

I still don't understand you point about the BO. Michael Corvin says it saved last years' cumulative industry BO, and you point to an article that agrees that yes, it was likely to boost the annual BO total. Either you didn't understand the point that Michael Corvin was making, or you're being very unclear about the point you're making.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.