Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
18 9.47%
42 22.11%
49 25.79%
17 8.95%
32 16.84%
13 6.84%
10 5.26%
5 2.63%
3 1.58%
1 0.53%
0 0%
What are you high? 0 0%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-18, 11:28 AM   #1676
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
I still cannot fathom why they didn't use Leia to blast through the ships at light speed... that should have been the idea from the very beginning, whether Fisher had passed or not.
fujishig already brought this up, but I think the plan was probably to only kill off one original character per film. So since this film they planned to kill Luke, they kept Leia around, so she could be in the next film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Are you sure he could "physically" interact with people and things?
I've only seen it once on opening night, but as I recall he held Leia's hands and put the gold dice in them. Kylo also later pics up the dice momentarily before they fade away. So physical interaction was possible, although Luke evaded anything physical in his fight with Kylo.

It also shouldn't be surprising, as Kylo and Rey had physically touched via force projection/linking just a few scenes previous.
Old 01-12-18, 11:31 AM   #1677
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I'm sure the biggest reason, as others have pointed out, is that without other significant changes to the script, there would have been no reunion with Luke. I'm sure people would have complained if Luke and Leia never came together in these sequels. People already complain that Luke and Han weren't together again. All that said, I agree that would have been an awesome way for Leia to go out and it carries less weight with Holdo doing it.
Right, i agree that making the change (after her real-life death) to have Leia do it would have introduced more problems and would have been difficult to do. I'm saying the plan should have always been for Leia to go out in VIII, interact with Luke in some way earlier in the movie before going light speed.

That way, Luke could be the primary OT presence in IX, and Leia could go out like a Boss in VIII. Instead, we end up with Luke dying before many wanted him to, and Leia likely to die offscreen?

Honest question - was ANYONE really clamoring for more Leia in these movies, expecially after her performance in TFA? Whereas people wanted more Han and Luke.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 01-12-18 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-12-18, 11:48 AM   #1678
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Right, i agree that making the change (after her real-life death) to have Leia do it would have introduced more problems and would have been difficult to do. I'm saying the plan should have always been for Leia to go out in VIII, interact with Luke in some way earlier in the movie before going light speed.

That way, Luke could carry IX, and Leia could go out like a Boss in VIII. Instead, we end up with Luke dying before many wanted him to, and Leia likely to die offscreen?
I kinda thought the ST would shake out too with Luke being the last OT character to die at the end of Episode 9 and that would be the true passing of the torch to Rey.

From what I read (this is all speculation) Leia was supposed to confront Kylo Ren at the end of Episode 9 to bring him back from the darkside. (I assume that would mirror Luke trying to bring back Vader in ROTJ.) So they shot TLJ in the context that Leia would be around for Episode 9. I do remember when Carrie Fisher died, Disney had a big meeting and they talked about how they had to change the Episode 9 storyline now along with how to play out her death. So maybe the whole redemption of Kylo Ren angle is gone now that Carrier Fisher has passed?

Quote:

Honest question - was ANYONE really clamoring for more Leia in these movies, expecially after her performance in TFA? Whereas people wanted more Han and Luke.
I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Carrie Fisher was dreadful in this Trilogy. I thought Ford was great in TFA and Hamill was great in TLJ, but Fisher could never recapture that spunk that Leia had in the OT movies. I was very surprised when they were planning to feature her in all 3 movies too.
Old 01-12-18, 11:56 AM   #1679
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I liked Leia in both films. Her performance was dry and sardonic, and I even enjoyed the deleted scenes from TFA. She portrayed a character that had changed somewhat with age, which is more realistic than Han still trying to be a charming hustler while pushing 80.

But perhaps I'm too much of a realist. I knew Harrison Ford didn't really like the franchise, and would've only come back if his character could finally be killed off. And sure I wanted more Luke after TFA, but that was more because I wanted any Luke aside from a glowering face.
Old 01-12-18, 11:57 AM   #1680
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
So maybe the whole redemption of Kylo Ren angle is gone now that Carrier Fisher has passed?
Or they could just rewrite it to use Rey as the person who redeems Kylo Ren.

Last edited by dhmac; 01-12-18 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 12:12 PM   #1681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post

But perhaps I'm too much of a realist. I knew Harrison Ford didn't really like the franchise, and would've only come back if his character could finally be killed off. And sure I wanted more Luke after TFA, but that was more because I wanted any Luke aside from a glowering face.
Yes, absolutely people wanted more Luke after TFA (he was just a stare). Poorly worded by me - didn't mean literally based on just TFA. Now that we have TLJ as well, I still want more Luke and less Leia.
Old 01-12-18, 12:12 PM   #1682
DVD Talk Legend

Redeeming Kylo would be a horrible route to go. He's so good as the unhinged bad guy. Kill him if you must but don't waste the work you've done making him into this character.
"One of the things with the wall is you need transparency," Trump said. "You have to be able to see through it. In other words, if you can't see through that wall — so it could be a steel wall with openings, but you have to have openings because you have to see what's on the other side of the wall."
Old 01-12-18, 12:16 PM   #1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Redeeming Kylo would be a horrible route to go. He's so good as the unhinged bad guy. Kill him if you must but don't waste the work you've done making him into this character.
Plus we've gotten the "Will he? Won't he?" redemption scene in back-to-back movies. and for sure it will be in IX as well.
Old 01-12-18, 12:24 PM   #1684
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Carrie Fisher was dreadful in this Trilogy. I thought Ford was great in TFA and Hamill was great in TLJ, but Fisher could never recapture that spunk that Leia had in the OT movies. I was very surprised when they were planning to feature her in all 3 movies too.
Yeah, I thought Carrie was Prequel Trilogy levels of bad on the acting front. But it was kind of overshadowed by the novelty of just being able to see her on screen again in the role.

And of course you can GFY. -chess

Last edited by fumanstan; 01-12-18 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 12:41 PM   #1685
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I agree, as the last thing I want is Episode 9 to be about the Redemption of Kylo Ren. It's bad enough that it is a retread of ROTJ, but Kylo Ren is a better character when he's bad.

I will give a Wrestling Analogy: Every once in a while, WWE and WCW would try to change things up having good guys go heel and vice versa, and it rarely worked (Except for Hogan). Especially for the heels, as they were at their best when they bad and calling out the crowd too.
Old 01-12-18, 02:09 PM   #1686
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Principal photography was finished in July of 2016, so I don’t see how you could just re-edit the film without major reshootings.
So? Ridley Scott had no problem altering All The Money In The World on extremely short notice. And don't try to sell the idea that TLJ has too many special effects and to alter the film would be impossible. CGI is your friend in this case.
Old 01-12-18, 02:28 PM   #1687
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
So? Ridley Scott had no problem altering All The Money In The World on extremely short notice. And don't try to sell the idea that TLJ has too many special effects and to alter the film would be impossible. CGI is your friend in this case.
In that instance, Ridley Scott pretty much had to reshoot or the film would've been unreleasable. On this film, they could still release the film as-is.

Also, Christopher Plummer was pretty much just a drop-in replacement for the scenes Kevin Spacey shot. They didn't have to drastically restructure the story in any way, necessitating reshoots of scenes Spacey wasn't in.
Old 01-12-18, 04:23 PM   #1688
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't have a problem with Leia's performance in either film. She was tired, sure, but that's perfectly in character having fought the same battles for 30 years. I was definitely hoping to see Luke and Leia in both 8 and 9.

Broken record time: Why oh why oh why oh why did they not shoot these all together Lord of the Rings style?

Doctor Who DVDs needed - The Web Planet, The War Games, Ghost Light.
Old 01-12-18, 04:38 PM   #1689
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Broken record time: Why oh why oh why oh why did they not shoot these all together Lord of the Rings style?
Because it's incredibly expensive and risky, and requires getting everything written and planned out ahead of time, and it pushes back the release date of the first film.

If they had done that, for example, Episode VII would've come out in 2017, not 2015, and VIII wouldn't be out until December 2018.
Old 01-12-18, 05:13 PM   #1690
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I agree, as the last thing I want is Episode 9 to be about the Redemption of Kylo Ren. It's bad enough that it is a retread of ROTJ, but Kylo Ren is a better character when he's bad.

I will give a Wrestling Analogy: Every once in a while, WWE and WCW would try to change things up having good guys go heel and vice versa, and it rarely worked (Except for Hogan). Especially for the heels, as they were at their best when they bad and calling out the crowd too.
Every once in a while? They switch sides all the time, but that's mainly because it's a continuing weekly soap opera and they need some way to keep the characters fresh.

I think they left the door open for Kylo to redeem himself. He doesn't have as high of a kill count as Vader did, and he's not as merciless. He killed his father, but they didn't let him kill either Leia or Luke, which would really be just unforgivable to fans. They teased the turn in this one before the double turn (to use more wrestling analogies). Plus he's the Skywalker everyone's clamoring for. And he didn't seem like that bad of a guy as an undercover boss.

Of course the problem is, he's the big bad now, unless Snoke isn't really dead or there's some other unseen influence.
Old 01-13-18, 09:59 AM   #1691
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Because it's incredibly expensive and risky, and requires getting everything written and planned out ahead of time, and it pushes back the release date of the first film.

If they had done that, for example, Episode VII would've come out in 2017, not 2015, and VIII wouldn't be out until December 2018.
This is Star Wars. The "risk" is infinitesimally small. They are able to release a movie as flawed an controversial with fans as TLJ, and still gross over a billion dollars.

And, handling all of the principal photography for all the movies at once would not have resulted in that much delay. A year, perhaps, but no more. All of the post work could still have been done one movie at a time, just as it was with LOTR.

The only real issues with that model would have been Carrie's death, which would have made it impossible to have her in any pickups/reshoots needed later, and the fact that it would have required having the same director for all three, and Abrams had no interest/time for such a commitment.
Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil.
Old 01-13-18, 11:36 AM   #1692
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
This is Star Wars. The "risk" is infinitesimally small. They are able to release a movie as flawed an controversial with fans as TLJ, and still gross over a billion dollars....
TLJ isn't that controversial. The percentage of viewers that actively dislike it is pretty small.

Also, aside from risk, there's also the upfront costs, and the long wait for an ROI on all the films. They'd have money locked up into the project for up to maybe a decade. Wherase with individual films, they finance them and recoup investment in shorter periods. It's a balance sheet issue. I mean, Lucasfilm didn't shoot all three prequels at the same time, even though the plan was to do all three, partly due to Lucasfilm not able to pay for all three upfront.

But there's also the demands on the cast and crew, especially the director, when doing multiple films at once. It's a giant time suck, and mentally and physically grueling. Peter Jackson initially turned down directing The Hobbit films because he didn't want to go through that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboDad View Post
And, handling all of the principal photography for all the movies at once would not have resulted in that much delay. A year, perhaps, but no more...
It's not just the principal photography, but all the pre-production work that needs to be done, in advance, for three films.

To look at LOTR more in-depth, that project was started in 1997 at Miramax, and moved to New Line in 1998. They had to redo the scripts at New Line due to it expanding to 3 films, but they still had a lot of pre-production work they carried over. And then the principal photography didn't start until late 1999, and the first film came out about two years later in 2001. So that's about 4 years between project start and the first film coming out.

And keep in mind that for LOTR, they already had the full story before they even set down to write the scripts. They knew the ending, they just had to adapt the work. Pre-production could start out by simply working from the book, without a finished script.

TFA, on the other hand, started a script in October 212, signed JJ in January 2013, but didn't have a finished script until January 2014. They pushed the release of the film back from May 2015 to December 2015, largely because the script took so long. And that's just one script. Filming was in May 2014 and was supposed to last 3 months, although it didn't officially "wrap" until November 2014. LOTR's principal photography lasted for an entire year.

Now, TLJ came out "just" two years after TFA, but that's because Rian Johnson signed on and started writing in August 2014, and started shooting in September 2015, while TFA was still in post-production. So since they're not one single monolithic production, they can run the productions concurrently to shrink the delay between films, something that wouldn't have been possible with a single director shooting almost everything upfront. And keep in mind that The Last Jedi's release date was also delayed, since it was originally scheduled to be May 2017.

So estimating only a year delay is incredibly optimistic. Not to mention, for a major franchise Disney just bought and wanted to get a film out as soon as possible, even one year would've been disastrous. What would've happened with the release of Rouge One? Where would it fit in? What about all the toy sales for Christmas 2015?

Not to mention that shooting all the films at once doesn't guarantee quality. It could've turned out worse. You cite LOTR, but the only other film series to shoot 3 films as once is The Hobbit, and while one could argue that it's a consistent feeling series, there's a lot of debate about whether it's any good..

George Lucas took 3 years between prequel films, and you're giving Disney shit for only 2 year gaps between episode films, with other Star Wars films in between?
Old 01-13-18, 05:09 PM   #1693
DVD Talk Legend

The Beatles perform their critically acclaimed album Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans

The first two videos:

Complete playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...NuJiMNxs9QdthO
Old 01-13-18, 06:03 PM   #1694
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

so much time wasted.
Old 01-14-18, 04:49 AM   #1695
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
TLJ isn't that controversial. The percentage of viewers that actively dislike it is pretty small.

Also, aside from risk, there's also the upfront costs, and the long wait for an ROI on all the films. They'd have money locked up into the project for up to maybe a decade. Wherase with individual films, they finance them and recoup investment in shorter periods. It's a balance sheet issue. I mean, Lucasfilm didn't shoot all three prequels at the same time, even though the plan was to do all three, partly due to Lucasfilm not able to pay for all three upfront.

But there's also the demands on the cast and crew, especially the director, when doing multiple films at once. It's a giant time suck, and mentally and physically grueling. Peter Jackson initially turned down directing The Hobbit films because he didn't want to go through that again.

It's not just the principal photography, but all the pre-production work that needs to be done, in advance, for three films.

To look at LOTR more in-depth, that project was started in 1997 at Miramax, and moved to New Line in 1998. They had to redo the scripts at New Line due to it expanding to 3 films, but they still had a lot of pre-production work they carried over. And then the principal photography didn't start until late 1999, and the first film came out about two years later in 2001. So that's about 4 years between project start and the first film coming out.

And keep in mind that for LOTR, they already had the full story before they even set down to write the scripts. They knew the ending, they just had to adapt the work. Pre-production could start out by simply working from the book, without a finished script.

TFA, on the other hand, started a script in October 212, signed JJ in January 2013, but didn't have a finished script until January 2014. They pushed the release of the film back from May 2015 to December 2015, largely because the script took so long. And that's just one script. Filming was in May 2014 and was supposed to last 3 months, although it didn't officially "wrap" until November 2014. LOTR's principal photography lasted for an entire year.

Now, TLJ came out "just" two years after TFA, but that's because Rian Johnson signed on and started writing in August 2014, and started shooting in September 2015, while TFA was still in post-production. So since they're not one single monolithic production, they can run the productions concurrently to shrink the delay between films, something that wouldn't have been possible with a single director shooting almost everything upfront. And keep in mind that The Last Jedi's release date was also delayed, since it was originally scheduled to be May 2017.

So estimating only a year delay is incredibly optimistic. Not to mention, for a major franchise Disney just bought and wanted to get a film out as soon as possible, even one year would've been disastrous. What would've happened with the release of Rouge One? Where would it fit in? What about all the toy sales for Christmas 2015?

Not to mention that shooting all the films at once doesn't guarantee quality. It could've turned out worse. You cite LOTR, but the only other film series to shoot 3 films as once is The Hobbit, and while one could argue that it's a consistent feeling series, there's a lot of debate about whether it's any good..

George Lucas took 3 years between prequel films, and you're giving Disney shit for only 2 year gaps between episode films, with other Star Wars films in between?
Not sure I agree with a single thought in this post.

First of all a very very significant number of viewers dislike the film. You can wave your hands up and down and say its not true or other drivel like RT is hacked but you have your head in the sand that if you think it is not an amazingly divisive film. It is dropping like a rock at the BO, and despite huge box office somewhat close to a 30-40% drop off from the TFA really cant be seen as anything other than a pretty significant failure.

It is possible that if they had made all of the movies at the same time that the result would be worse but very very unlikely, and there was literally ZERO chance of their not being a significant ROI from the new trilogy regardless of the quality of the movies and an extra year to wait for it to be released would have had almost no effect especially since they could release them quicker if they wanted once they came out.

But whether or not they actually filmed them all together, the concept of not having the story line meticulously planned out for the entire trilogy and having 3 different directors just sort of go wherever they want it is pretty bizarre. Filming them all separate definitely does not guarantee quality either.

And the studio has to be extremely worried at this point about the financial prospects of an entire trilogy built by Rian Johnson. I would be shocked it that remains in place without significant change and outside influence.

But it is what it is. So for the first 2 movies we have a thinly veiled remake of the first Star Wars movies in the TFA and an intentionally obtuse "anti" star wars movie in TLJ, one of which is clearly WIDELY disliked by any reasonable measure.

Opinions on movies are interesting animals. No opinion is essentially wrong. Many people do love it. For the life of me I have absolutely no comprehension of why but they are entitled to their opinion.

But to categorically think the franchise would not have been better with a clear vision for all 3 films and possibly filming them at the same time is just naive.
Old 01-14-18, 05:43 AM   #1696

It’s not as divisive as you think; the internet makes it seem like it is. The people who hate it seem to be more vocal, and the bulk of negative reviews on RT are zero star and single line “worst movie ever” crap that not even the biggest haters of the prequel trilogy would have ever said at the time. I think the voting results of this forum are probably more indicative of the general audience reaction. Cinema Score audiences gave it an A.

I’m not saying you have to like it, there are plenty of things that don’t work that well if you stop and think about them. A lot of it is contrived, and I’m still not sure who in the Resistance we were supposed to support, Poe or Leia/Holdo, considering I’ve heard everything from Poe is the worst to Holdo is the worst. Was it supposed to come off that way? Still, I’m not sure how outside of some plot quibbles/contrivances that this wasn’t an entertaining movie. The solid performances from most of the actors is probably why am able to overlook most of the films problems, especially from Hamill, Driver, and Ridley.

Probably my second favorite moviegoing experience from last year behind Thor. The best movie, hardly. But this and TFA feel like Star Wars, even if a little derivative at times.

J.J. Abrams is directing Episode IX, so just two different directors.
Old 01-14-18, 05:52 AM   #1697
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brack View Post
It’s not as divisive as you think; the internet makes it seem like it is. The people who hate it seem to be more vocal, and the bulk of negative reviews on RT are zero star and single line “worst movie ever” crap that not even the biggest haters of the prequel trilogy would have ever said at the time.
That's why I don't really pay attention to movie reviews anymore. Nor Yelp or similar reviews. A million tickets can sell, and everyone cries a little and enjoys the movie. But then there's twenty of those people who feel compelled to go online and express why they didn't like it. That's just kind of the way it works.

Likewise, a restaurant can serve 500 people a day, and get a positive review once a week. But if 1 out of 3500 people aren't happy with their visit, you end up with a 50% positive rating and it looks like your restaurant is a terrible place to eat.
Old 01-14-18, 07:48 AM   #1698
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I generally don’t pay attention to anyone that gives the lowest or highest score to anything.
Old 01-14-18, 08:47 AM   #1699
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
It is dropping like a rock at the BO, and despite huge box office somewhat close to a 30-40% drop off from the TFA really cant be seen as anything other than a pretty significant failure.
Another thing that should have Lucasfilm and Disney concerned is that the merchandise for TLJ is sitting dead on store shelves. I've been party to several different conversations with retailers, and TLJ toys and merch are not moving at all. Nobody wants to buy the toys, posters, and other stuff.

Granted, there's a lot going on here. Hasbro has made a mess out of toy distribution; they absolutely flooded the market with Rogue One toys. Most stores still have enough Jyn Erso six inch figures piled up to build Trump's Mexico wall. And then when they put out stuff people actually do want, like the 40th Anniversary Black Series 6" figures, they underproduce and scalpers buy up everything. Except for those Darth Vader with display stand, which they seemingly grossly over-produced. Not to mention how over-priced and low quality everything has become. Did anyone ask for $50+ ships that clumsily fire Nerf darts?

I suspect that the market for Star Wars merch is saturated, and they tend to put out a lot of questionable junk (Air Hogs, Hero Mashers, Micro Choking Machines), but nobody seems to want action figures of Rose in a baggy jumpsuit or Benicio del Toro.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 01-14-18, 09:08 AM   #1700
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
First of all a very very significant number of viewers dislike the film. You can wave your hands up and down and say its not true or other drivel like RT is hacked but you have your head in the sand that if you think it is not an amazingly divisive film. It is dropping like a rock at the BO, and despite huge box office somewhat close to a 30-40% drop off from the TFA really cant be seen as anything other than a pretty significant failure.
Brack and Troy have already covered the online reviews angle, but for the old-hat "box office failure" argument, I'll point back to the posts I made quoting Box Office Mojo and The Numbers which show that even before it opened, the predictions were for a significantly lower BO than TFA. The buzz simply wasn't as high for a variety of reasons, none tied to audience reaction to the film, since nobody had seen it yet, and Disney was predicting only a $200 million opening, which it surpassed. It's not a failure by any definition, and while some may consider the BO disappointing compared to TFA, I don't think Disney/Lucasfilm is one of them. Again, nobody thought ESB was a failure because it made significantly less than Star Wars.

Quote:
It is possible that if they had made all of the movies at the same time that the result would be worse but very very unlikely...
It's impossible to say. There's really only two data points for all-at-once trilogy shoots, LOTR and The Hobbit, and one turned out great and one turned out bad, so it's a 50/50 chance at this point. The point is, there's nothing about an all-at-once trilogy production that guarantees any sort of quality from the final product.

Quote:
there was literally ZERO chance of their not being a significant ROI from the new trilogy regardless of the quality of the movies and an extra year to wait for it to be released...
You're not fulling understanding this point. Right now, there's about a 3 year turnaround time in terms of ROI for these films, from when they likely start pumping money into preproduction to when it's released. And since they're concurrent productions, VII started recouping money while VIII was still being filmed, allowing for one film to pay for the other, so to speak.

For all all-in-one production, they're not just putting the money for VII upfront but VIII and IX as well. Even with only an optimistic 1 year delay for the release of the first film, that's still 4 years ROI for VII, then 5 years ROI for VIII, then 6 year ROI for IX. They'd have money locked up in IX production for 6 years, twice as long. And money that's locked up without making a return yet is money that they can't use for other film. It could even have hindered the ability for Lucasfilm to produce the Star Wars side stories, so maybe we simply wouldn't have gotten Rogue One, since the money to produce it would've been tied up in a several-years-off Ep IX.

Quote:
But whether or not they actually filmed them all together, the concept of not having the story line meticulously planned out for the entire trilogy and having 3 different directors just sort of go wherever they want it is pretty bizarre...
You mean, like the original trilogy was shot without the films planned in advance, made up as they went, and with three different directors?

There's nothing inherently bad about the plan as stated, and I really don't recall many objections to it before TLJ was released. It seems like the people who didn't like TLJ are using the "different directors/made up as it goes" as a rationale when the reality is that you simply didn't like this particular story from this particular director. If it had been a movie you liked, you wouldn't be objecting to the process at all.

I mean, after TFA, were they really that many people hoping JJ Abrams would headline and steer the entire trilogy? He didn't really show he was capable of doing more than a pleasant retread.

Ultimately, the criticisms of the production plan boil down to "I didn't like this movie, so something different would've been better," and then pointing to an all-in-one production scheme as being something different, so, obviously, it would've turned out better. It's just a flimsy rationale with no consideration of the business basics that explain why such all-in-one production schemes, especially for trilogies, are few and far between.