Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 12-16-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Still not sure how Rey got off that ship...
Hux tells Ren she stole a shuttle
Old 12-16-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

they got a new Asian actress, can't have too many of them on screen..

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I can't wait for the action figure of the broom kid...complete with Star Wars universe name: Som Fuh Kinkid
You haven't already put in a pre-order deposit on yours on Sideshow collectibles? Ha! Good luck in the wait list. I'm happy I signed up early to get the "jedi luke" doll he was paying with before his slave master came in and threatened to beat the kids for no reason.
Old 12-16-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

the kid =

Old 12-16-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Exactly how I felt at that moment. After the questionable stuff leading up to that I really thought we had something...aaaaaand.....it's gone.
We all know that if it had played out where Kylo actually turned good in that moment the criticisms would still be there because that would be too much like Vader’s redemption. People would bitch either way just for a different reason. Hell if it was Rey who turned (which let's be real that was never in the cards) it probably would have gotten criticized for being like Anakin’s turn too. I feel like the fanbase for these films aren’t happy no matter what.
Old 12-16-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

5/5
If The Last Jedi won't make a SW fan out of a person nothing will
Old 12-16-17, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 526 Likes on 329 Posts

Since apparently taking a character that has been around awhile and making them do unexpected and out of character things is what it takes to be considered amazing and risk taking awesome I can't wait until we get a new Harry Potter film where we find out Harry beat his kids and Hermione ran off with a house elf leaving Ron a single father.
Old 12-16-17, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Since apparently taking a character that has been around awhile and making them do unexpected and out of character things is what it takes to be considered amazing and risk taking awesome I can't wait until we get a new Harry Potter film where we find out Harry beat his kids and Hermione ran off with a house elf leaving Ron a single father.
I'd give Rowling credit for risk taking with that story.
Old 12-16-17, 05:26 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacon
5/5
If The Last Jedi won't make a SW fan out of a person nothing will
Except the original trilogy...
Old 12-16-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
who gives a shit how they ended.. they don't have to follow suit. Shit, I like it just as good as last one. Luke and Rey scene, talk about underwhelming. lol
Cool.
Old 12-16-17, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 158 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Except the original trilogy...
TLJ is better IMHO
Old 12-16-17, 06:13 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

TLJ is better IMHO
Old 12-16-17, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not understand people wanting to kill off Leia in this movie. Her being killed off in space or when she was in a coma would have pissed a lot of people. I do agree Leia having Holdo's heroic sacrifice would have worked, but can't really do a reshoot since Disney released a statement they will not CGI Carrie Fisher.

And there wouldn't be the scene with Luke and Leia at the end which for me personally is the lasting image of how I want to remember Carrie Fisher in her final role.
Old 12-16-17, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TLJ is better IMHO

I want whatever you've been huffing.

--
Old 12-16-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone else notice that Rey stole the Jedi ancient texts? They showed them in the Millennium Falcon at the end when Finn was opened a drawer.
Old 12-16-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by outcastja
And there wouldn't be the scene with Luke and Leia at the end which for me personally is the lasting image of how I want to remember Carrie Fisher in her final role.

I don't think it would have been disrespectful to reshoot Holdo's sacrifice with a stand-in from the back playing Leia and then some actual close-ups of Carrie from unused footage. That would avoid any moral issues about using CGI.

I agree the Luke/Leia scene is nice and I wouldn't want to lose that either. That could have been redone so she appeared on Ahch-To as a Force ghost to say goodbye to Luke. It would also have the added bonus of Luke no longer inexplicably dying after his battle with Ren.
Old 12-16-17, 06:45 PM

It's still no Empire or ANH, but damn I enjoyed the hell out of this the second time through. Even Canto Bight/Finn/Rose/DJ worked for me this time. I'm sure some of it's "member berries" but I also think Johnson's choice to say "FU" to the Snoke and Rey stuff worked very well for me.

I still think Yoda was great, and I love the ending with Luke and Leia and then Luke's peaceful descent into the force.
Old 12-16-17, 06:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

The last half of this movie is fucking awesome, from when Snoke dies on

Some of the humor was cheesy and felt out of place but whatever
Old 12-16-17, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I rated this 4.5 stars last night, but after thinking about it all day today I'm dropping my score to 4. TLJ still succeeds as a fun Star Wars adventure and a good movie in its own right. But it has a flabby midsection with regards to the Finn/Rose subplot. And what the fuck Benicio del Toro, can you stop mumbling your lines with forced quirkiness and mindless oddities? "The Usual Suspects" was 22 years ago. Enough.

What I did like was pretty much everything else. Good use of humor, fine cinematography, great actions scenes and wonderful character work. Every one pretty much had an arc that drove the story and developed them further.

My favorite of the post prequel films is still Rogue One but this is a worthy entry into the series.
Old 12-16-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
We all know that if it had played out where Kylo actually turned good in that moment the criticisms would still be there because that would be too much like Vader’s redemption. People would bitch either way just for a different reason. Hell if it was Rey who turned (which let's be real that was never in the cards) it probably would have gotten criticized for being like Anakin’s turn too. I feel like the fanbase for these films aren’t happy no matter what.
I wasn’t looking for him to turn bad or Rey to turn good - maybe something more “gray” like they’ve been telegraphing with balance. Maybe the two of them together to get rid of the extremists...I don’t know just something more creative than what we got.
Old 12-16-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

People still going on about the whole Gray Jedi nonsense? heh.
Old 12-16-17, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by sherm42
Anyone else notice that Rey stole the Jedi ancient texts? They showed them in the Millennium Falcon at the end when Finn was opened a drawer.
Yeah, I notice that.

Also love the line "You, think we got him?". lol
Old 12-16-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
People still going on about the whole Gray Jedi nonsense? heh.
Yes...given that it's pretty much prominent in Rebels and I think more/less where
Spoiler:
Ahsoka Tano
falls into.

Originally Posted by dex14
Per an EW article: "There was no established origin that Johnson inherited when he signed on to the movie. He was free to resolve it as he liked."

http://ew.com/movies/2017/12/16/the-...rey-parents/2/
Well.... shit.
Old 12-16-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I thought the way things were going;

Snoke Is "killed"

Same fight with Guards.

Snoke awakes and is revealed to be Darth Sidious.

A chase ensues. Ren and Rey escape together.

Ren turning good would make Episode 9 really interesting with conflict between the resistance , Rey, and Ren. Would the Resistance be able to truly trust him? Rey would probably be an outcast but in the end they would need both of them to take down Sidious.

Last edited by mhg83; 12-16-17 at 08:14 PM.
Old 12-16-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 457 Likes on 335 Posts

OK, just saw it today, and here's what I think...

It's better than The Force Awakens, which I had as my 3rd favorite Star Wars movie.

The character development is significantly better. Poe is an actual character this time, one who is conflicted between his duty to blindly follow orders and doing what he believes is right. Finn is no longer just a stereotypical black comic relief character. He's legit this time out, and he has some good dramatic moments. Kylo Ren is less of a whiner, and he's not all bad (just mostly bad). His vision for the future of the galaxy does actually make some sense (no more Jedi, no more Sith), but his methodology to getting there is the deal breaker.

But what I love is that we get the old Luke back. This is the Luke from the first two movies. Sure, he's older, more experienced, and far more powerful - but he's still that same character who was a whiny, impulsive kid who lacked wisdom and was totally wrong about some things. He doesn't whine as much, but he still lacks wisdom and is totally wrong about some things. And I LOVED that it was Yoda who, once again, bitch slapped him to show him how and why he was wrong. People can learn, they can grow, but their personalities usually remain fairly constant. Luke, by his very nature, is stubborn and impulsive and often comes to the wrong conclusions. This version of Luke is consistent with that. I like that they didn't just make him Obi Wan, The Next Generation.

And I loved the style of the movie. It was classic Star Wars given a fresh coat of paint and a more powerful engine that could go faster. The movie was fun - wildly entertaining.

I gave it 4.5 out of 5 (since there isn't a 4.25 option). The Force Awakens would get a 4.10 from me at this point.

And I can't wait to see The Last Jedi in the theater again!
Old 12-16-17, 08:10 PM

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page, Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi (PG-13) - “This is not going to go the way you think.” And neither will this review.

WARNING! I HAVE PLEDGED NOT TO INCLUDE ANY SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW! ALSO, THIS IS MY REACTION TO THE LAST JEDI.

Anticipation for The Last Jedi has been high in the Orbi-Wan household since the 2015 release of the last trilogy-based Star Wars film The Force Awakens, and last year’s stand-alone Rogue One. Both of those films filled us with the happy promise that the future of the franchise was in good hands.

The trailers for The Last Jedi have been spectacular, and we were primed for an adventure on the level of The Empire Strikes Back, which many reviewers have compared it to.

I stood in line for The Empire Strikes Back for nearly 8 hours, I have seen Empire Strikes Back at least two dozen times. You, The Last Jedi, are no Empire Strikes Back.

Story-wise and as directed by Rian Johnson (Looper), it goes something like this: Rey (Daisy Ridley) tries to convince the legendary Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) to join the Resistance. She also would not mind if Luke trained her in some of that Jedi stuff. Rey and Kylo (Adam Driver) share an interesting connection. Kylo tries too hard to impress Snoke (Andy Serkis). The Resistance fleet is getting decimated by the First Order, and Finn (John Boyega) teams with BB-8 and a maintenance staff member (Kelly Marie Tran) to pursue a possible option out of an almost impossible situation. Poe (Oscar Isaac) butts heads with the new admiral in charge (Laura Dern) when General Leia (Carrie Fisher) is briefly out of action.

There are absolutely great and appropriate callbacks to the original trilogy that helped The Last Jedi maintain its “Star-Wars”-iness. I also saw influences from other sources, including Star Wars: Rebels. The space battles were terrific. There are wonderful, sad, and terrifying character arcs I am completely onboard with. Our knowledge of the Force and what can and cannot be done is expanded in important ways. This is, for the most part, about 2/3rds of a solid Star Wars movie.

It’s the third of The Last Jedi that was so extraneous, non-contributory, or downright silly, that judicious editing of at least 30 to 45 minutes would have made The Last Jedi a classic addition to the beloved franchise. Instead characters, situations, poorly conceived humor, and downright boring stretches mixed in among the good stuff tended to pull me right out of the movie, and dragged the movie down from time to time.

So instead of the absolute great overall movie it could have been, The Last Jedi is a good movie with some great parts and some meh parts. Unfortunately most of the meh stuff dilutes the great stuff.

I am giving The Last Jedi 3 out of 5 lightsabers. I will likely see it again in the theater during the holidays, but at least I have an idea of when I can go to the restroom and not miss anything.

NOTES TO PARENTS: Star Wars: The Last Jedi is rated PG-13 for primarily sci-fi action. The only language is the use of the word a** once or twice. There is no sexual content whatsoever. There are plenty of space battles, exploding ships, a couple of lightsaber battles, and the threat of First Order executions. A couple of porgs are shown fire roasted. Snoke’s face is shown close up and in detail, but it is no worse-looking than Gollum’s.

MID/END CREDIT SCENES: There are no additional scenes once the credits roll.

LIKE and SHARE this review and the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with friends and family.

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under CREATIVE COMMONS.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.