Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by stvn1974
And if Luke wasn't really a Jedi then why did he think it was up to him to go into hiding and end the line? He could have gone to help and still let the Jedi order die. Just stupid writing all around. And yes I know Abrams started it but Johnson just piled more shit on top of it.
Luke turned to the Dark Side at the end of Return of the Jedi -- he gave in to his fear and hatred and damn near hacked his father to death. Yes, he pulled backafter slicing Vader's hand off, but as Yoda said, "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." Luke didn't heed that, and in his arrogance he tried to recreate the Jedi. But there came the moment when he tried to kill Ben, and he realized that "Holy shit, I'm still prone to the Dark Side, and there's no telling what'll happen if I ever give in," so he cut himself off from everything to protect the galaxy.

If the story had gone any other way, it would've been a cop-out. This is why the EU always sucked -- Luke just went on to be a Jedi like Obi-Wan described in ANH without any repercussions for letting the Dark Side win him over during the Throne Room fight.
Old 04-17-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Luke turned to the Dark Side at the end of Return of the Jedi -- he gave in to his fear and hatred and damn near hacked his father to death. Yes, he pulled backafter slicing Vader's hand off, but as Yoda said, "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." Luke didn't heed that, and in his arrogance he tried to recreate the Jedi. But there came the moment when he tried to kill Ben, and he realized that "Holy shit, I'm still prone to the Dark Side, and there's no telling what'll happen if I ever give in," so he cut himself off from everything to protect the galaxy.

If the story had gone any other way, it would've been a cop-out. This is why the EU always sucked -- Luke just went on to be a Jedi like Obi-Wan described in ANH without any repercussions for letting the Dark Side win him over during the Throne Room fight.
Too bad none of that is portrayed on screen at any time.
Old 04-17-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
you are assuming Luke IS a Jedi Knight. In reality, he is not. He is a proficient Force user who was trying to bring back a dead order. He did not receive actual and full Jedi training. It would be similar to me reading some books, talking to a few scholars, buying a sword, and declaring myself a Samurai warrior.

1) In ROTJ Yoda told Luke that his training was complete. 2)But to become a Jedi he must confront Vader. Which he did.
Not to mention the title of the film is called Return of the Jedi.
Luke turned to the Dark Side at the end of Return of the Jedi -- he gave in to his fear and hatred and damn near hacked his father to death. Yes, he pulled backafter slicing Vader's hand off, but as Yoda said, "Once you start down the Dark Path, forever will it dominate your destiny." Luke didn't heed that, and in his arrogance he tried to recreate the Jedi.
That kind of makes sense. We saw it in the cave, we saw it when Luke used the dark side to choke out Jabba’s guards, and then the scene you describe. But it also contradicts other key parts. Like Obi -Wan telling Luke he must kill Vader and Luke refuses. The Emperor wants Luke to kill him, and Luke refuses.
And if Luke succumbed to the Dark Side why would Force ghost Yoda, Anakin, and Obi-wan be looking at him all happy at the Ewok celebration? Wouldn’t they be sad, lamenting Luke’s fate?

what you describe is more interesting but it retcons the entirety of ROTJ.
The Jedi themselves aren’t perfect, and could be described as going down the Dark Side. Yoda going along with using a clone army which itself is immoral. Obi-wan igniting his lightsaber first when confronting Anakin and dealing in absolutes as only a Sith would do. Lying to Luke about his father and later trying to justify his deception.
Old 04-17-19, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

It's almost like...maybe none of this stuff makes much sense so we shouldn't tear TLJ apart when inconsistencies and nonsensical issues are prevalent throughout the whole series?
Old 04-17-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
It's almost like...maybe none of this stuff makes much sense so we shouldn't tear TLJ apart when inconsistencies and nonsensical issues are prevalent throughout the whole series?
But by that logic we shouldn’t criticize the prequels either. Anakin was the best pilot in the galaxy when Obi-wan first met him...as a kid who won one a pod race? Padme dying of a broken heart? Aliens that seem to be racist caricatures? A 50s diner in the middle of AOTC? It’s okay though, because it’s consistent with Star Wars having inconsistencies and nonsensical issues?
Old 04-17-19, 02:04 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie

But by that logic we shouldn’t criticize the prequels either. Anakin was the best pilot in the galaxy when Obi-wan first met him...as a kid who won one a pod race? Padme dying of a broken heart? Aliens that seem to be racist caricatures? A 50s diner in the middle of AOTC? It’s okay though, because it’s consistent with Star Wars having inconsistencies and nonsensical issues?
You can have inconsistencies and nonsensical issues only if your movie is at least entertaining or made the movie more interesting in some way. The pod race at least was at least neat to watch. The other stuff you mentioned served no purpose. That I think is the difference.
Old 04-17-19, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
That kind of makes sense. We saw it in the cave, we saw it when Luke used the dark side to choke out Jabba’s guards, and then the scene you describe. But it also contradicts other key parts. Like Obi -Wan telling Luke he must kill Vader and Luke refuses. The Emperor wants Luke to kill him, and Luke refuses.
Obi-Wan wanted Luke to kill Vader the same way Jedi have always killed bad guys in battle. But that's not what happened in the throne room. When Vader threatened to give up on Luke and turn his attention to Leia, Luke lost it. He went completely batshit and launched a berserker charge to kill Vader. According to everything Yoda said in Empire, that means he started down the Dark Path at the moment. That's why the Emperor started cackling with delight right then.

And if Luke succumbed to the Dark Side why would Force ghost Yoda, Anakin, and Obi-wan be looking at him all happy at the Ewok celebration? Wouldn’t they be sad, lamenting Luke’s fate?
"Forever will it dominate your destiny" doesn't mean Luke is going to turn into a Sith. It means that the Dark Side is always going to be there, tempting him. It's like an addiction--if an alcoholic goes fifty years without drinking, they're still an alcoholic. Obi-Wan and Yoda were happy the Empire had been destroyed and hoped Luke could overcome the Dark Side. But that doesn't mean he would -- and The Last Jedi establishes that he didn't.
Old 04-17-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obi-Wan wanted Luke to kill Vader the same way Jedi have always killed bad guys in battle. But that's not what happened in the throne room. When Vader threatened to give up on Luke and turn his attention to Leia, Luke lost it. He went completely batshit and launched a berserker charge to kill Vader. According to everything Yoda said in Empire, that means he started down the Dark Path at the moment. That's why the Emperor started cackling with delight right then.

"Forever will it dominate your destiny" doesn't mean Luke is going to turn into a Sith. It means that the Dark Side is always going to be there, tempting him. It's like an addiction--if an alcoholic goes fifty years without drinking, they're still an alcoholic. Obi-Wan and Yoda were happy the Empire had been destroyed and hoped Luke could overcome the Dark Side. But that doesn't mean he would -- and The Last Jedi establishes that he didn't.
After reading this I hate The Last Jedi even more. Congrats.
Old 04-17-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
You can have inconsistencies and nonsensical issues only if your movie is at least entertaining or made the movie more interesting in some way.
Yeah, thisis true. Aliens (1986) is one of my favorite movies but in hindsight has these issues too. But it was well executed so you either don’t notice them or are willing to ignore them.

The pod race at least was at least neat to watch. The other stuff you mentioned served no purpose. That I think is the difference.
The pod race was a yawn for me personally.

Obi-Wan wanted Luke to kill Vader the same way Jedi have always killed bad guys in battle.
Ok but Obi-wan wasn’t even entertaining any other options, Luke was the one insisting there was still good in his father and he was right, according to the film. Luke was more enlightened in that regard than either of his teachers.

"Forever will it dominate your destiny" doesn't mean Luke is going to turn into a Sith. It means that the Dark Side is always going to be there, tempting him. It's like an addiction--if an alcoholic goes fifty years without drinking, they're still an alcoholic.
I actually like that explanation and analogy. It defeats the purpose of Yoda’s teachings, and ESB’s message if Luke can pick and choose when to use the Dark Side, like when he force chokes Jabba’s guards.
”A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense. Never for attack.”
Old 04-17-19, 08:48 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Well I was trying to give Lucas some credit, but you’re more right about the pod race. I guess seeing Jabba and some other in-jokes during that sequence was better than most of the movie save for Darth Maul.
Old 04-18-19, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

Personally for me though that's part of the problem. I know Star Wars as a franchise isn't perfect and has a bunch of flaws. But after the franchise was vigorously re-energized with TFA and Rogue One. I was highly anticipating TLJ to continue the march forward for Star Wars. Instead it made me question and reflect on if Star Wars as a whole is just not that good. It just ruined Star Wars for me.

But now I'm cautiously optimistic from what I've seen come out of Star Wars Celebration this year. And at least I know Galaxy's Edge will be an awesome experience.
Old 04-18-19, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On a positive note, it was nice to see the fans at celebration give a huge applause to Kelly Marie Tran and Ahmed Best. It's one thing to hate on a movie/character/director/actor. But if you just downright bully the real people behind it you're just a terrible person. It's good to see that it's just a few people that are like that and as a whole the Star Wars fan base is a positive community.

Old 04-18-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
On a positive note, it was nice to see the fans at celebration give a huge applause to Kelly Marie Tran and Ahmed Best. It's one thing to hate on a movie/character/director/actor. But if you just downright bully the real people behind it you're just a terrible person. It's good to see that it's just a few people that are like that and as a whole the Star Wars fan base is a positive community.
Especially when it's not really that actor's fault. Lucas wrote/directed/approved of everything he saw with Jar-Jar. How can we blame Best for that?

I still don't get the backlash on Tran, people were mad she simply existed. She had some sappy lines, but it's not like star wars has always been some amazingly written masterpiece.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-18-19 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-18-19, 04:25 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Especially when it's not really that actor's fault. Lucas wrote/directed/approved of everything he saw with Jar-Jar. How can we blame Best for that?

I still don't get the backlash on Tran, people were mad she simply existed. She had some sappy lines, but it's not star wars has always been some amazingly written masterpiece.
Yeah, I hate TLJ but have no problem with Tran.

And Jar Jar is the absolute worst, but not for one minute did it ever cross my mind to blame Best. That one is solely on Lucas.

Old 04-18-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Holdo is one of the worst characters in Star Wars, but I don’t blame Laura Dern as I generally like her.

I didn’t even think Rose was that bad of a character other than I think when she saves Finn is stupid. Only because that would have actually added some weight to that scene having him sacrifice himself. I didn’t necessarily want him to die, but it would have made his character do something of importance in the film. Otherwise I didn’t have a major problem with Rose. She’s sorta so-so but not an awful character.

Last edited by Mike86; 04-18-19 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-19-19, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Holdo is one of the worst characters in Star Wars, but I don’t blame Laura Dern as I generally like her.
Those letters are a curse for Star Wars as "Hondo" is the worst character on Clone Wars/Rebels.

I agree about Dern though - such a great actress, and such a wasted character.
Old 04-19-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Did someone say Hondo?

Old 04-19-19, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still don't get the backlash on Tran, people were mad she simply existed.

Because she's a woman and the internet exists?

Seriously though as argumentative as we can be in this thread at least no one that I've seen has been like those lowlifes and attacking the people involved.
Old 04-20-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am indifferent towards Rose as there were many other terrible decisions made when it came to TLJ compared to her character. I hated Jar Jar and Anakin from the Prequels but not enough to harass Ahmed Best, Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen online.
Old 04-20-19, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Rewatching TLJ today and noticed that Kylo says to Rey “You can’t be here, the effort would kill you” when they first connect through the Force. Nice foreshadowing to Luke that I never caught before.
Old 04-22-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

Because she's a woman and the internet exists?

Seriously though as argumentative as we can be in this thread at least no one that I've seen has been like those lowlifes and attacking the people involved.
Oh I knew the "reason" people hated her - but I still don't understand or get it. But maybe that's because I consider myself to be a halfway decent human being.
Old 04-22-19, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

But maybe that's because I consider myself to be a halfway decent human being.
I always think the people that personally attacked Kelly Tran are relatively small amount of Social Media Trolls, as they are no different than a handful of drunken idiots at a Sunday Football Game (When you get 60,000 in a stadium, there's going to be a few idiots who can't control themselves). I wish the media didn't even talk about these idiots because it only feeds them to do this more because you are making them bigger than they really are. I know alot of people who didn't like TLJ or Rose, but NONE of them would attack her personally or about her race. The rise of social media gives life to the 1% idiots in the world, and the best thing to do is just ignore them, and definitely don't lump them as a good chunk of the fanbase.
Old 04-22-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Rewatching TLJ today and noticed that Kylo says to Rey “You can’t be here, the effort would kill you” when they first connect through the Force. Nice foreshadowing to Luke that I never caught before.
I missed that. Somehow I also missed until my last watch that in TFA, Rey is climbing all over the interior of the crashed Star Destroyer when she's a scavenger, which pays off later when she is scaling the inside of the Starkiller Base.
Old 04-22-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I always think the people that personally attacked Kelly Tran are relatively small amount of Social Media Trolls, as they are no different than a handful of drunken idiots at a Sunday Football Game (When you get 60,000 in a stadium, there's going to be a few idiots who can't control themselves). I wish the media didn't even talk about these idiots because it only feeds them to do this more because you are making them bigger than they really are. I know alot of people who didn't like TLJ or Rose, but NONE of them would attack her personally or about her race. The rise of social media gives life to the 1% idiots in the world, and the best thing to do is just ignore them, and definitely don't lump them as a good chunk of the fanbase.
Well said.
Old 04-22-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah, Social Media being reported as "real news" is the equivalent of a wide scale Boy Who Cried Wolf, and it's a mildly infuriating trend that I was hoping would be gone by now. Alas, no dice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.