Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
9.50%
22.00%
26.00%
8.50%
16.00%
6.50%
5.50%
2.50%
2.50%
0.50%
0.50%
What are you high?
0
0%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-07-19, 07:49 PM
  #3776  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,162
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

After reading through the discussions here (which i'm really enjoying), I've really come to the conclusion why I prefer the Standalones over the Saga movies these days. I think the Saga movies get bogged down by these open ended plot points that force (no pun intended) to tie everything together. Whether you agree with Rey Nobody or not, that plot point has essentially taken over the narrative as there is still many theories going around that she may have some lineage to a Jedi Master in Episode 9. A great/developed character arc for Rey would be much more interesting than who her parents are? But once JJ left her last name out, then the speculation began. The same with Snoke in that they couldn't just create a great villain, but now the whole narrative is about whether he is Darth Plaguis or created by The Emperor, etc. Now of course many fans/internet are guilty of playing up all of these possibilities, but when they leave many of these things open-ended, it just creates more speculation.

I guess my point is that the Standalones don't get saddled with these issues, as they can tell their story and it is what you see on screen. While R1 and Solo don't have the depth of the Saga films, maybe that is their biggest strength as they can tell their story from point A to point B, and not worry about point C, point D, etc. I know the standalones aren't for everyone (hence why they don't do as well at the Box Office as the Saga films), but I enjoy R1 and Solo for what they are, and it seems like the PT and ST have frustrated many fans in one way or another because they get stuck in these possible twist plot points that will make you see the movies differently. It worked in 1980 as 'I am your father' did that, but it seems like that twist is haunting the Saga movies and holding them back cause they're always trying to duplicate it.
coli is online now  
Old 01-07-19, 07:58 PM
  #3777  
TGM
DVD Talk Legend
 
TGM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 15,409
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

can we talk about the fact that Anakin is still the villain of the sequel movies? he's still being a galactic cockface. If he was redeemed as the ending of RoTJ implied, then why not show up as a force ghost to Kylo as soon as he started veering off towards the dark side and have a shimmery sit down with his grandson showing him the error of his ways. "Don't emulate me. I was a dick."
TGM is offline  
Old 01-07-19, 08:08 PM
  #3778  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,162
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
can we talk about the fact that Anakin is still the villain of the sequel movies? he's still being a galactic cockface. If he was redeemed as the ending of RoTJ implied, then why not show up as a force ghost to Kylo as soon as he started veering off towards the dark side and have a shimmery sit down with his grandson showing him the error of his ways. "Don't emulate me. I was a dick."
I think this goes to my point about constantly trying to tie the movies. There is no way Disney is bringing back Hayden as a Force Ghost simply because they don't want any PT backlash from the fans. Heck, they pretty much went out of their way during the leadup to TFA and distancing themselves from the PT, especially the constant talk of real worlds, and less CGI. They even remade ANH just to show fans that this was going to be more like the OT then the PT. So they are trying to tie these movies together (as JJ stated) yet they don't want to bring up certain PT things in fear of another backlash. They could get away with bringing back Ewan McGregor or Ian McDiarmid, but I don't believe they are going to touch Hayden to return. IMO.
coli is online now  
Old 01-07-19, 08:12 PM
  #3779  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,503
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
can we talk about the fact that Anakin is still the villain of the sequel movies? he's still being a galactic cockface. If he was redeemed as the ending of RoTJ implied, then why not show up as a force ghost to Kylo as soon as he started veering off towards the dark side and have a shimmery sit down with his grandson showing him the error of his ways. "Don't emulate me. I was a dick."
Iíve thought of that too a bit. Having Anakin as a Force ghost show up to try and persuade Kylo away from the Dark Side seems like it would make for a good scene at some point. It would also tie the three trilogies together more, which like them or not we have what we have. I hope something along those lines happen in Episode IX.
Mike86 is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 12:25 AM
  #3780  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,129
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Rob V View Post
By JJ not declaring who Rey's lineage is in TFA, he screwed the pooch... He tried to leave us on some cliff-hanger hell but in reality, the internet buzzed with EVERY SINGLE possible solution for who she could be -- so much so that no answer is good (even being a nobody; which I don't buy). Being a nobody is still worse than just making her Obi-Wan's grand daughter, IMO.
For me, it was a good use of misdirection, as was everything else.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Regarding Reyís parents. I think you could have done it where she didnít have to fit into a direct lineage. Why couldnít have her parents been someone of relevance to the Force that wasnít tied to the Skywalker bloodline or to Obi-Wan?
Prior to the prequels, why was Anakin so strong with the Force when Obi-wan first met him?
Maybe some particular unknowing individuals just happen to be chosen by the Force.

As for the film overall, I've had a chance of heart.
I let my expectations of the film sour my initial viewing. Prior to the movie I had read online rumors about the Jedi killers being revealed and attacking Luke at his hideout, so when I didn't get any of that I was disappointed.

Watching it again, more objectively, it's a really fun film.

-While I still don't like Rey automatically being a great pilot, and great in an aerial dog fight, and suddenly displaying Jedi mind tricks, and suddenly downloading Force lightsabers skills the obligatory lightsaber duel for TFA, I thought her abilities in TLJ were presented well within the context of the story. Luke was fearful of Ben's power, and now he's fearful of this Rey character's power. It's implied by Snoke that Rey is Kylo's opposite, so it probably has more to do with the Force than training.

-I didn't like the character of Holdo, but you're not supposed to. Poe even voices what the audience is thinking, "That's Holdo? Not what I expected."You're supposed to think she's a know-it-all, and that Poe has the right course of action. It's another case of misdirection. If she's a tough, gritty looking Admiral, then you're more inclined to believe that Poe's wrong, which ruins the surprise.

-The Canto Bight part isn't bad at all. Again, it's more misdirection that sets up Holdo's surprise sacrifice while doing some more world building.

-The rich are the bad guys too in TLJ, right? Biased millennial political opinions, right? DJ says later that the rich are funding both the New Order AND the Resistance. Some light moral ambiguity there, that shows that things aren't just black and white, and it also ties nicely into Rey and Kylo's conversation.

-Benicio del Toro's character was better than ANY character in the PT, and I liked that he gave Rose back her medallion after revealing it was just to get through the locked doors.

-I feel bad that character of Rose got so much hate. I thought her sacrifice at the end could have been translated better, but she was very likable addition to Star Wars.

-Luke's farewell was perfect.

-The kid with the broom was a good scene. But they didn't need to have him raise the broom like a lightsaber, after we already get the close-up of his hand gripping the broom looking like a lightsaber handle with Rose's resistance ring on his finger. Yeah, we got it, he's a future Jedi.

brayzie is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 12:33 AM
  #3781  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,129
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

Iíve thought of that too a bit.

That never crossed my mind but yeah, that makes sense.

Having Anakin as a Force ghost show up to try and persuade Kylo away from the Dark Side seems like it would make for a good scene at some point. It would also tie the three trilogies together more, which like them or not we have what we have. I hope something along those lines happen in Episode IX.
Problem is, who do you get to play redeemed Anakin? Disney doesn't want any PT reminders in the ST, and neither do I. And Bernard Shaw is dead.

And I think it makes the legend of Darth Vader and his evil deeds seem greater if you DON'T show him in the ST. His memory as a Sith lord is still menacing.
I like to ignore parts of ROTJ, so I imagine that Anakin Skywalker never became a Force ghost, and is in Force purgatory for an indefinite amount of time. I mean, he was space Hitler.
brayzie is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 12:55 AM
  #3782  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,503
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Except we already saw Anakin as a Force Ghost in the Original Trilogy. As far as who plays him, I donít see why it wouldnít be Hayden. Yeah, I realize he got a lot of hate but it would be stupid to recast him. Plus Disney isnít beyond acknowledging the prequels and already has done so a couple times (Jimmy Smits in Rogue One and Maul in Solo). I donít necessarily love all aspects of the prequels, but Iíve come to accept that they are what they are and are still part of the franchise.
Mike86 is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 01:38 AM
  #3783  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gator Nation
Posts: 5,546
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I don't mean to sound dramatic and this is obviously just for those that didn't like TLJ. But has anyone else's enthusiasm for Star Wars really tapered off after TLJ? Before TLJ I was so gung ho on Star Wars anything. Went to Celebration Orlando mainly to see the trailer for TLJ and my Star Wars fandom reached peak fervor from then until the release of the movie. Now my enthusiasm has decreased a lot. I did see Solo but wasn't in a rush to see it. Not in any kind of anticipation for eps IX. Not interested in going to Celebration Chicago. Just wondering if anyone else felt the same?
tanman is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 06:27 AM
  #3784  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,503
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Not completely. Iím not that enthused about Episode IX, but I am curious about The Mandalorian and the Cassian Andor series as well as any potential anthology films.
Mike86 is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 07:07 AM
  #3785  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,747
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I don't mean to sound dramatic and this is obviously just for those that didn't like TLJ. But has anyone else's enthusiasm for Star Wars really tapered off after TLJ? Before TLJ I was so gung ho on Star Wars anything. Went to Celebration Orlando mainly to see the trailer for TLJ and my Star Wars fandom reached peak fervor from then until the release of the movie. Now my enthusiasm has decreased a lot. I did see Solo but wasn't in a rush to see it. Not in any kind of anticipation for eps IX. Not interested in going to Celebration Chicago. Just wondering if anyone else felt the same?
I think this was bound to happen with the franchise for many fans, and kind of why Lucas only made a film every 3 years. Yes, the PT were crap, but that 3 year wait and anticipation still made each movie an event. Let's be honest guys, this is all about the theme parks for Disney and just keeping the movies a part of pop culture. I was down at Disneyworld last month and they were building the Star Wars Theme Park (along with the Star Wars rides they have in Hollywood Studios) and that is their focus. They could really care less about diehards like us, as they just want the movies to keep appealing to the masses so the franchise stays relevant and people buy the toys, visit the theme parks, etc. Trust me, if anyone has been to Disneyworld or Disneyland, they will know what I'm talking about. The Star Tours was an hour wait as people were lining up for that ride, and every 1/2 hour they had a big parade of Stormtroopers, The First Order, etc, and it was standing room only. It's ALL about the masses and keeping kids interested in the movies, as they could really care less about what we all think of the movies. They don't need anyone to love the movies like we did as kid, they just need them to like them as that is enough.
mcnabb is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 09:36 AM
  #3786  
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus
 
FunkDaddy J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,202
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman View Post
Has anyone else's enthusiasm for Star Wars really tapered off after TLJ?
Completely. And more than just a "straw that broke the camel's back," but a solid body slam that sorta woke me up. TFA, for all its faults, had a glimmer of the old magic, but TLJ smothered it all. No fixing it now. I'm totally done with further stories, and finally obtained a copy of the original trilogy without the SE changes. Now I'm good. On to better things.
FunkDaddy J is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 11:20 AM
  #3787  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,503
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I think from Disneyís stance it was very short-sighted to make a film that did as many controversial things so early on like they did with The Last Jedi. They had just lured back into the fold a group of fans who werenít satisfied with the prequels, and then they turn around and divide the fanbase more than it ever has been. Just stupidity. They played fast and loose too early in my opinion.
Mike86 is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 12:14 PM
  #3788  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Kal-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 7,956
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think from Disneyís stance it was very short-sighted to make a film that did as many controversial things so early on like they did with The Last Jedi. They had just lured back into the fold a group of fans who werenít satisfied with the prequels, and then they turn around and divide the fanbase more than it ever has been. Just stupidity. They played fast and loose too early in my opinion.
Eh. One, if the The Big Criticism of Force Awakens was that it was too similar to A New Hope. Then Last Jedi comes along and it's "too different/divisive/whatever". Where do you draw the line? Who gets to draw the line?

And I don't know where you get this "lured back" argument. Lured back from where? I didn't like the prequels but my passion for Star Wars never waned. You didn't HAVE to eat everything they served from 2005-2015. Star Wars fans were always there. And I'm sure all the people who hated Last Jedi are gonna lineup for IX regardless what they say online.

How else are they gonna hate on it?
Kal-El is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 12:45 PM
  #3789  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,503
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

When I said lured I meant that it seemed obvious Disney knew many fans were turned off by the Prequel Trilogy and it seemed like The Force Awakens was done in a way where it was safe yes, but also respectful and felt more in life with what many thought the prequels lacked.

I think they just went too far too fast with pulling out the rug on things we expected. Iíd have preferred a safer route with the trilogy that was wrapping things up for the original cast. The thing is Disney will be making Star Wars films from now until who knows when. They could have taken risks later. Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill are older men who wonít be here forever and Carrie Fisher is dead. I think subverting expectations, especially in my case with Luke was a shitty move. It almost seems anti-fan to have done something like that, and if these films werenít made for the fans then who are they for?
Mike86 is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 12:57 PM
  #3790  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6,747
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
And I'm sure all the people who hated Last Jedi are gonna lineup for IX regardless what they say online.

How else are they gonna hate on it?
I used to agree with this statement until Solo bombed, but SW fans are not lapdogs anymore. Now I don't think Episode 9 will bomb like Solo, simply because the Saga movies always appeal to a broader audience. But I do think there will be people who end up not seeing it, or not seeing it multiple times like TFA and TLJ. I won't say the word boycott cause that is a strong word, but many of my friends are just 'indifferent' towards the franchise anymore. No doubt some of them will see Episode 9, but I do think some of them won't as they did not bother with Solo (These are the same people that saw TFA 3-4 times as that is what beefs up the box office). Let me say I was in shock when these lifelong SW fans just dismissed Solo even after I saw it and said I liked it. That's why my prediction is Episode 9 will gross less then TLJ, but more then Solo. The problem for Disney is the 3rd movie in each Trilogy always outgrossed the previous one, and I think the ST will be the first SW Trilogy that has a downward trend for each box office result.

OT (Domestic)
1. ANH 307 million (1977 dollars)
2. ROTJ 252 million (1983 dollars)
3. ESB 209 million (1980 dollars)

PT (Domestic)
1. TPM 431 million (1999 dollars)
2. ROTS 380 million (2005 dollars)
3. AOTC 310 million (2002 dollars)

ST (Domestic)
1. TFA 936 million
2. TLJ 620 million
3. Episode 9: 400-500 million?

Standalones
1. R1 532 million
2. Solo 213 million
mcnabb is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 02:19 PM
  #3791  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,129
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Except we already saw Anakin as a Force Ghost in the Original Trilogy. As far as who plays him, I donít see why it wouldnít be Hayden. Yeah, I realize he got a lot of hate but it would be stupid to recast him.

Which is why we probably won't see a Force ghost of Anakin in the next film.
I think it would be weird to see all the other Force ghosts as old men, but for some reason Force ghost Anakin appears as a young man.

Plus Disney isnít beyond acknowledging the prequels and already has done so a couple times (Jimmy Smits in Rogue One and Maul in Solo). I donít necessarily love all aspects of the prequels, but Iíve come to accept that they are what they are and are still part of the franchise.
I haven't seen Rogue One.
Maul is like the one fan favorite from the entire PT, so I can see why they brought him back.
Other than that, it seems like Disney wants to limit incorporating the PT into their new series.


Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J View Post
Completely. And more than just a "straw that broke the camel's back," but a solid body slam that sorta woke me up. TFA, for all its faults, had a glimmer of the old magic, but TLJ smothered it all.
I disagree.
I thought that TLJ was better in a lot of ways than TFA.
It actually felt like a progression of the Star Wars universe, unlike TFA or the prequels.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think from Disneyís stance it was very short-sighted to make a film that did as many controversial things so early on like they did with The Last Jedi.
If only there was the internet back when Empire Strikes Back came out.
I love that movie, but I now agree with the other posters who compare it to TLJ.
It's obvious in the film that the producers were making up as they go along.

ANH clearly was intended to have Anakin be a Jedi that was killed by Obi-wan's pupil, Darth Vader. At the end of the film, Luke destroys the Death Star, the Empire is defeated, and the galaxy is saved!

In ESB, well no, none of that mattered apparently, the Empire is still in charge, rebels once again on the run, because sequel money!
Out of nowhere Darth Vader is revealed to be Luke's father, contradicting the first film, and ruining Obi-Wan by making him a manipulative liar.

The producers were surprised that Star Wars became such a big hit, so they had to come up with new story, and did so by just making up a bunch of shit. Vader is now Luke's father. Oh...and there is "another." What happened to Obi-Wan and Luke being the last of the Jedi? Oh, and the great Jedi Master Luke seeks out is a muppet.

I think a lot of ESB could be seen as controversial for the time.

They had just lured back into the fold a group of fans who werenít satisfied with the prequels, and then they turn around and divide the fanbase more than it ever has been. Just stupidity. They played fast and loose too early in my opinion.
Yeah, it's clear that in the lead up to TFA Disney was trying to tell people, "hey, we're going back to Star Wars' roots! Practical effects and locations! Original cast!"
But at the same time too, they can't write ideal fan-fiction either. They have to surprise not just fans, but casual movie goers as well.

Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Eh. One, if the The Big Criticism of Force Awakens was that it was too similar to A New Hope. Then Last Jedi comes along and it's "too different/divisive/whatever". Where do you draw the line? Who gets to draw the line?
Maybe the people who criticized TFA for being too similar to ANH aren't the same people who are criticizing TLJ for being too different.

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I think subverting expectations, especially in my case with Luke was a shitty move. It almost seems anti-fan to have done something like that,
Within the context of the film, it was plausible that Luke would feel that way, and the dialogue and delivery by Mark Hamill sold it. "It's vanity."
He was a mix of ESB Luke and ROTJ Luke.
And at the end, Luke does return to help the Resistance, in a creative way.

and if these films werenít made for the fans then who are they for?
If it were only die-hard Star Wars fans who saw the movies, would they still be blockbusters? I assume that it's general audiences, fans and non-fans who make these films so popular.
Were all people who saw the first LOTR and Harry Potter movies familiar with the books?
brayzie is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 02:57 PM
  #3792  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,850
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I think a lot of ESB could be seen as controversial for the time.
Except it wasn't. ESB was pretty much adored across the board by fans at the time. I was there.
If it were only die-hard Star Wars fans who saw the movies, would they still be blockbusters? I assume that it's general audiences, fans and non-fans who make these films so popular.
Fanboys alone will NEVER make a blockbuster. The unloaded rifles always fire the loudest.
Were all people who saw the first LOTR and Harry Potter movies familiar with the books?
Harry Potter was a pop culture phenomenon for a handful of years before the first movie, so it came about just at the right time. Plus the then target audience of schoolchildren, fantasy-loving geeks, and adults who had familiarity (and enjoyment) with the stories through child-osmosis meant a four-quadrant smash. Plus the curious looking for a fun movie to watch.

LOTR was fairly legendary. Even those who didn't know LOTR knew of LOTR. Remember that it didn't open that big ($47 million in 2001 dollars) but, due to the quality of the film, had serious legs throughout the winter of 2001/2 (finishing at $315 million domestic). Comparatively, Potter opened at nearly twice that much ($90 million) and finished at just about the same ($317 million). Either way, I don't think you can chalk up either performance to "fanboys" alone.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 03:12 PM
  #3793  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,503
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Of course it isnít just fanboys who see the films and you donít cater to solely that audience, but at the same time fanboys are the ones who help keep it alive for the next generation. You could have had it both ways with still introducing new characters alongside the legacy characters and The Force Awakens blended the two very well.

Lukeís arc is going to bother me forever and will always taint my feelings on the Sequel Trilogy. I donít care about any explanations people give or how itís justified. Thatís not what I wanted in the least and I definitely am not alone in that. I donít think thatís selfish as I donít think most expected what we got, and just because it was unexpected doesnít make it good or more interesting.

Like I said before I think risks could have been taken further down the line after you gave satisfying closure to the original characters. If the sequels werenít intending on doing that Iíd have rather had the original characters left out all together.
Mike86 is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 03:47 PM
  #3794  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,162
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post


If only there was the internet back when Empire Strikes Back came out.
I love that movie, but I now agree with the other posters who compare it to TLJ.
It's obvious in the film that the producers were making up as they go along.

ANH clearly was intended to have Anakin be a Jedi that was killed by Obi-wan's pupil, Darth Vader. At the end of the film, Luke destroys the Death Star, the Empire is defeated, and the galaxy is saved!

In ESB, well no, none of that mattered apparently, the Empire is still in charge, rebels once again on the run, because sequel money!
Out of nowhere Darth Vader is revealed to be Luke's father, contradicting the first film, and ruining Obi-Wan by making him a manipulative liar.

The producers were surprised that Star Wars became such a big hit, so they had to come up with new story, and did so by just making up a bunch of shit. Vader is now Luke's father. Oh...and there is "another." What happened to Obi-Wan and Luke being the last of the Jedi? Oh, and the great Jedi Master Luke seeks out is a muppet.

I think a lot of ESB could be seen as controversial for the time.
I saw ESB in 1980, and it was controversial in a different way. You have to understand that in 1977, SW(ANH) was beloved by everyone so there was no diehard fans yet. It was no different then The Wizard of Oz as the movie just resonated with all types of people (I loved it, my older brother loved it, my mom loved it, as we never agreed on any movies). So when ESB comes out in 1980, THAT is the movie that made diehard fans like me as we wanted more, more, more SW. I still remember reading about Lucas 9 movie plan in 1983 right before ROTJ came out, and it blew me away. When you're 11 years old, and there are rumored to be 6 more SW movies on the horizon, I couldn't wait! Then my older brother (who also loved the Original) was never keen on more SW movies, just like he wasn't keen on a Rocky sequel (He's a more general moviegoer and doesn't obsess like I do). He didn't like ESB, nor even cares about it today (or any SW movie after that) as the Original SW is his canon and thinks the story is fine. The only SW movie he saw after that was ROTJ cause he had a license and my mom made him drive me to theater.

So I guess what I'm saying is the eventual diehards loved ESB, and the general audience really didn't as they weren't in love with the darker tone and all of the new revelations. The OPPOSITE happened with TLJ, where the fans that rejected it tended to be the diehards (fans who loved Luke), and the general audience (specifically reviewers) tended to like it cause they weren't as invested in Luke's story.
coli is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 04:20 PM
  #3795  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,129
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Except it wasn't. ESB was pretty much adored across the board by fans at the time. I was there.
I found some articles comparing ESB to TLJ saying that the former was hated too. They quoted fan letters in 1980 from Starlog magazine.
And yet, none of the letters or comments from back then were that critical.
One just said that he suspects that Vader is lying to Luke about being his father, and another is a fan criticizing Leia for going with "hot lips" Han, and not the guy who actually rescued her, Luke.
The rest of the articles cite a few major film critics who gave vague criticisms of the movie, but nothing too harsh.
So I guess the claim that ESB was hated at the time isn't true.



Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Lukeís arc is going to bother me forever and will always taint my feelings on the Sequel Trilogy. I donít care about any explanations people give or how itís justified. Thatís not what I wanted in the least and I definitely am not alone in that. I donít think thatís selfish as I donít think most expected what we got, and just because it was unexpected doesnít make it good or more interesting.
I don't think it's selfish either.
I see where you're coming from, and when you think about it, Luke's reasoning seems pretty stupid. He mocks Rey's plan insinuating that one lone guy with a "laser sword" can't make a difference against an entire empire...yet he did just that in the original trilogy.

The whole film was about subverting expectations while somehow still playing it safe.
Luke acts very un-Jedi like by refusing to help and giving up on the Jedi ways, unlike Obi-Wan who's like, "Hey Luke, you and I have to save the Princess!" And yet, he acts just like Obi-Wan by confronting Darth Ren at the end, and buying the Resistance more time.

Originally Posted by coli View Post
I saw ESB in 1980, and it was controversial in a different way. You have to understand that in 1977, SW(ANH) was beloved by everyone so there was no diehard fans yet. It was no different then The Wizard of Oz as the movie just resonated with all types of people (I loved it, my older brother loved it, my mom loved it, as we never agreed on any movies). So when ESB comes out in 1980, THAT is the movie that made diehard fans like me as we wanted more, more, more SW. I still remember reading about Lucas 9 movie plan in 1983 right before ROTJ came out, and it blew me away.
Yeah, that makes sense. Not too much time had passed between ANH and ESB, so you just accept the continued story as is. Whereas it's been like what 30+ years since ROTJ? Since then fans have had so much time to create their own mythologies in their heads that the expectations are through the roof.
brayzie is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 04:30 PM
  #3796  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Hokeyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 18,850
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I found some articles comparing ESB to TLJ saying that the former was hated too. They quoted fan letters in 1980 from Starlog magazine.
And yet, none of the letters or comments from back then were that critical.
One just said that he suspects that Vader is lying to Luke about being his father, and another is a fan criticizing Leia for going with "hot lips" Han, and not the guy who actually rescued her, Luke.
The rest of the articles cite a few major film critics who gave vague criticisms of the movie, but nothing too harsh.
So I guess the claim that ESB was hated at the time isn't true.
It's the same tired canard that gets trotted out from time to time. Similar to "The original Star Wars trilogy got terrible reviews too!" Umm, no it didn't. Even Jedi got positive (if comparatively lesser) reviews upon initial release. Star Wars was even nominated for Best Picture in 1977.
Hokeyboy is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 04:47 PM
  #3797  
Political Exile
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,087
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

The main disappointment with Empire back when I saw it opening night was the cliff hanger ending. Return of the Jedi was more disappointing to me with the lazy acting and the teddy bear characters, definitely more kid friendly than the first two movies.

I still think Ep 9 will do well though.
PerryD is offline  
Old 01-08-19, 04:52 PM
  #3798  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,421
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by coli View Post
So I guess what I'm saying is the eventual diehards loved ESB, and the general audience really didn't as they weren't in love with the darker tone and all of the new revelations. The OPPOSITE happened with TLJ, where the fans that rejected it tended to be the diehards (fans who loved Luke), and the general audience (specifically reviewers) tended to like it cause they weren't as invested in Luke's story.
While I get your point, I disagree with this presumptive analysis. In my estimation, opinions on TLJ have been divided among die hard fans. There's a subset of die hard fans that love Luke and found TLJ's treatment of him to be jarringly inconsistent with their conception of the character and there's another subset of die hard fans that love Luke and found TLJ's treatment of him to be in very much keeping with the character from the original trilogy and what was set up for him in TFA. I will perpetually reject the notion that anyone who liked the handling of Luke in TLJ couldn't possibly be a die hard fan that is truly invested in the character's story.

kefrank is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 04:53 PM
  #3799  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,162
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Yeah, that makes sense. Not too much time had passed between ANH and ESB, so you just accept the continued story as is. Whereas it's been like what 30+ years since ROTJ? Since then fans have had so much time to create their own mythologies in their heads that the expectations are through the roof.
You have to remember in 1980 and even in 1983, those were uncharted waters for moviegoers so most people like me really didn't know where these movies were going. That was the charm of it because nobody was doing Trilogies back in 1980, nobody was doing cliffhanger endings, so your speculation was not effecting how the movies played out. That is why it is so hard to compare the OT to anything because it was ahead of it's time and it changed blockbuster movies forever. That is why I get annoyed when people say that the OT didn't have the competition that movies do today, but what they don't get is that the reason there was no competition was because it was so different and so groundbreaking. SW was sort of like The Beatles in that when they came to the US in 1964, nobody had ever seen anything like it as they were bigger then Elvis. My mom was 20 years old and my aunt was a teenager and they said the night they played on Ed Sullivan show is comparable to my generation seeing SW in 1977, it literally blew you away.

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
While I get your point, I disagree with this presumptive analysis. In my estimation, opinions on TLJ have been divided among die hard fans. There's a subset of die hard fans that love Luke and found TLJ's treatment of him to be jarringly inconsistent with their conception of the character and there's another subset of die hard fans that love Luke and found TLJ's treatment of him to be in very much keeping with the character from the original trilogy and what was set up for him in TFA. I will perpetually reject the notion that anyone who liked the handling of Luke in TLJ couldn't possibly be a die hard fan that is truly invested in the character's story.
I should have been more specific, as I didn't mean all diehard fans hated it. I was just saying that the fans that do hate TLJ, tend to more on the diehard side who were offended by the way Luke was handled. The same way, the people that seemed to hate ESB in 1980 tended to be more general moviegoers like my brother who is just not a fan of sequels in general. Again, I wasn't saying all, I was just saying the ones that hated the movie.
coli is online now  
Old 01-08-19, 05:04 PM
  #3800  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,503
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) ó The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
It's the same tired canard that gets trotted out from time to time. Similar to "The original Star Wars trilogy got terrible reviews too!" Umm, no it didn't. Even Jedi got positive (if comparatively lesser) reviews upon initial release. Star Wars was even nominated for Best Picture in 1977.
It also seems a lot different to compare what was at the time the first sequel to the second newest entry some thirty-nine years and multiple films later in my opinion. When The Empire Strikes Back came out back in 1980 Iíd have to imagine fandom was different. Iím sure it existed to some extent, but it obviously wasnít years of lore and fan theories at the time.
Mike86 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.