Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Rey IS someone. Regardless of who her parents were.
Old 12-16-17, 08:00 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Wasn’t Leia in space and therefore weightless? I don’t get the flying argument. She moved in space, but I wouldn’t call it flying. Doesn’t flying require air? I didn’t like that part much either, but I didn’t roll my eyes. If anything, Leia should be just as powerful as Luke with the Force, maybe moreso.
Old 12-16-17, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Audience RT is low, but they got an A cinemascore. Maybe disgruntled nerds are pushing the RT down because Disney didn't film their script.

Disney’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi earned its third straight A CinemaScore for the franchise.

Industry estimates project that Episode VIII will earn $100.4M Friday and a three-day between $208M-$214M.
Old 12-16-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Wasn’t Leia in space and therefore weightless? I don’t get the flying argument. She moved in space, but I wouldn’t call it flying. Doesn’t flying require air? I didn’t like that part much either, but I didn’t roll my eyes. If anything, Leia should be just as powerful as Luke with the Force, maybe moreso.
Thank you. It was obvious to me she was using the force to A. stay alive in space, and B. pull herself back to the ship.

Why is it so hard to grasp that the Daughter of Vader, with 30 years of training from her Jedi Master brother, learned a few tricks?

Last edited by stingermck; 12-16-17 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-16-17, 08:16 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadlax
Lots of member berries in here. Hopefully folks hate the sequel trilogy more than the prequel trilogy when all is said and done.

LUCAS WAS RIGHT!!!
The prequels are superior in every way, and it isn't close. I'd give anything to know George's ideas for 7, 8, and 9.
Old 12-16-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by IIG
The prequels are superior in every way, and it isn't close. I'd give anything to know George's ideas for 7, 8, and 9.
The Prequels were bad and this movie is bad so bad is just bad. The Prequels have a better story but are executed horrendously by Lucas. TLJ story is all over the place and is executed bad. I wouldn’t want Lucas back because he lost the ability to get you to care about the characters as nobody gave a shit about Anakin and Padme. JJ atleast revived the franchise by getting us to care about Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, BB8 and then Rian Johnson just shit all over them.

Sorry but bad is bad.
Old 12-16-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Yep, none of the previous 7 movies ended on a shot of a character we don't even know.

It felt too "Disney."
I get what you are saying but I think it served 2 functions. 1 showing others are force sensitive and 2 that the rebellion isn’t just the few people left on the ship. It can and has apparently spread throughout the universe).
Old 12-16-17, 08:42 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020
I get what you are saying but I think it served 2 functions. 1 showing others are force sensitive and 2 that the rebellion isn’t just the few people left on the ship. It can and has apparently spread throughout the universe).
Without this ending, I’d have little hope since all that is left of the Resistance can fit into the Millennium Falcon.
Old 12-16-17, 08:43 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
The Prequels were bad and this movie is bad so bad is just bad. The Prequels have a better story but are executed horrendously by Lucas. TLJ story is all over the place and is executed bad. I wouldn’t want Lucas back because he lost the ability to get you to care about the characters as nobody gave a shit about Anakin and Padme. JJ atleast revived the franchise by getting us to care about Rey, Finn, Poe, Kylo, BB8 and then Rian Johnson just shit all over them.

Sorry but bad is bad.
George Lucas is the creator and visionary, and is the only one that truly can deliver what Star Wars is to me. That's been proven three times over now (though TFA was solid fan fiction). But again, that's just me. I'm in the minority, and I get it. But I'm a little surprised with how many people with similar views have started to emerge after The Last Jedi.
Old 12-16-17, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
On Rotten Tomatoes, the audience score is 56%. Is it common for the disconnect between fans and critics to be that disparate in that direction? We've obviously seen audiences love plenty of movies the critics hate.
I chalk it up to Star Wars. It's a very disjointed fandom. You have the OT fans, the PT fans, and the new fans. I think lots of people have expectations about what they want to see and are pissed when those expectations do not come to fruition. I have zero expectations. This is new Star Wars and I'm not going to hold it to the crazy standard set by ESB/ANH. They're the gold standard in the saga and always will be. I'm OK with that.

Saying this...I'm a huge fan and an OT purist and can definitely see why some people hate what happens with the OT characters. Personally, I don't have any beef with how Luke, Han, or Leia are treated here or TFA.

A lot of what I'm reading is the disappointment in Luke's exit from the saga. I don't agree with this at all. Luke was NEVER a badass. He was a whiny kid and a conflicted adult. He was saved time and again by his friends after being in situations that were way out of his league. I would have been disappointed if this now senior citizen ended up in some epic lightsaber duel with Ren. In the end, he helped his friends the best way that he could. After that, he was at peace and could become one with the force.

I'm also not sure why everyone wants EVERY damn thing explained. The great thing about the OT is that there was so much mystery. We didn't know much about the jedi, the emperor, Yoda, or our main characters. Why does it matter where Snoke came from? I'm not sure about you guys, but Palpatine's backstory didn't make me enjoy the emperor more in the OT. I didn't need to know that Boba Fett was built in a lab, and I sure as hell didn't ever need or want to see Yoda with a lightsaber. He was so much cooler as the old green dude with a cane, that makes shitty food, and talks backwards sometimes (but not in EVERY sentence). I also don't care who Rey's parents are. I truly hope Ren was right and they are nobody.

Canto Bight was a total slog. I can agree with the criticisms here. It truly feels like another movie inside a movie. Poor decision by Johnson here.

In the end, Johnson didn't really give a shit about what happened prior to this movie. He moved along the characters that needed to moved in my opinion (Rey, Ren, Poe, Hux) to set up the finale. This was never about Luke/Han/Leia and I'm OK with that. Their story was pretty much over for me after ROTJ. The fact that we got them at all is a true bonus.

All my opinion, of course. Maybe I'll change my mind in an hour when I see it again. But right now, I like what Disney is doing.
Old 12-16-17, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
The process drains his lifeforce and he dies.
[/spoiler]
Is there any in-movie precedence for this "lifeforce"?

I saw it last night without spoilers.

Some of my personal interpretations:

Luke was exhausted, but the fight didn't kill him. He saw his work here was done and he could do more from the other side of the Force. He willfully chose to join the Force, exactly as Ben did before him.

I didn't notice the kid willing the broom to him. I just took the boy as a symbol for the fact that Luke has become an inspirational legend (he was playing toys as Luke) after all and the resistance's whole "We are the spark that will light the fire" ideal really was igniting in various corners of the galaxy.

As far as the Force ghosts not looking the same, it's called evolution. The more the Jedi study the afterlife, the better they get at it.
--Qui-Gonn began by only being able to project his voice
--ROTJ Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin (how did he learn, anyway?) were ghostly apparitions
--Modern Yoda... and Luke's projection... are poltergeists. They can act physically.
Old 12-16-17, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
I'll post more thoughts later, but I can't believe so many people are considering the statement about Rey's parents as being definitive. Aside from just not addressing it at all, I don't think the movie could have been more open-ended about it. Kylo Ren says it to Rey exactly when he is trying to pull out all the stops to manipulate her to join him. This should cast doubt for every viewer already, but the manipulation doesn't work,which further implies that Rey probably doesn't believe it. It may turn out to be true, it may not, but I'm pretty stunned that so many think it would be a "retcon" to have what Kylo Ren said possibly not be true.

Personally, I hope it is true that her parents are "nobody" but everyone that's hoping for something else really has no reason to lose that hope.
Here's why you are absolutely wrong. Ren was speaking the truth. Rey's parents are nobodies. The statement isn't wrong because she wasn't manipulated by it being wrong, but because she wouldn't let him use that fact against her. But the definitive reason why you are flat wrong is the final scene of the movie. There again, like Rey, is the "child of nobodies" demonstrating force sensitivity. If that didn't sell it to you, then you just don't want to accept the truth.

Although, certainly the series goes out of the way to show that the only important things in the universe happen to Skywalkers.
Old 12-16-17, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I’m a pretty moderate SW fan IMO. I grew up with the OT when they first came out, but I am not screaming for the OOT to be released.

I like some of what the special editions added.

I don’t hate the prequels and actually like a lot of what they offer.

I have enjoyed TFA and Rogue One a lot but also think they don’t feel as “Star Wars” as the films Lucas was involved with making.

I have remained open to the new direction and have no problem whatsoever with female and PoC protagonists - anyone that does needs to get a grip.

All that said, TLJ feels like a disapppintment to me. Not because Luke died or didn’t kick ass or whatever. It just felt like a poorly constructed movie. When I have to think twice about whether or not I enjoyed a Star Wars movie, that’s never a good thing.

I hope this one will be a grower but right now for me it is unquestionably my least-liked SW movie - yes even behind all the prequels. I have TFA and RO ahead of the prequels BTW.
Old 12-16-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

After sleeping on it, I would say this movie is comparable to Episode III. Both have a shiny veneer but there are too many issues beneath the surface. These really bugged me which I didn't see mentioned before...

1. Part of what I liked about TFA were all these mysteries it teased us with that got me excited about the solutions. But now I'm beginning to realize these were set up with no one knowing how they would be resolved. Luke's lightsaber ending up in Maz's possession is one that I suspect falls into this trap.

2. I was very underwhelmed about the Rose character. I believe she exists solely so Disney can pat themselves on the back about how much diversity now exists in the Star Wars universe.

3. Part of what made Rey, Finn and Poe such great characters in TFA is now 2/3 missing. These characters were instantly likeable before, partly because of the chemistry we saw between Finn and Poe, then Rey and Finn acting off each other. Now we have Poe off doing his own thing and Finn is teamed up with... Rose. Rey's story is the most interesting since she had the advantage of being teamed up with Luke so I feel this plotline was the movie's high points. But I've got a serious gripe about the Rey/Luke story arc...

4. Am I really supposed to believe after three short Jedi lessons she can now effortlessly move boulders like that? Is she as powerful as Yoda?
Old 12-16-17, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Is there any in-movie precedence for this "lifeforce"?
That's just how the guy on the RPF boards described it (without mentioning that he disappeared).
Old 12-16-17, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posed this question before TFA but I always thought that Han, Luke and Leia should have been used sparingly in the ST. They should have appeared to ‘pass the torch’ in Episode 7 to give the fans some nostalgia but none of their OT arcs should have been changed.

Once you start messing with those beloved characters you are bound to alienate a part of the fanbase. The irony is JJ did a great job introducing new characters and I actually think Episode 8 & 9 could have thrived without Luke, Leia and Han.

It would have freed up the story to focus on the new characters and you won’t have to worry about pissing anybody off on how Luke or Han or Leia changed.

So obviously the Big 3 were brought back to sell tickets but Episode 9 will bear the brunt of that miscalculation because you are left with no OT Big 3 and an alienated fanbase.
Old 12-16-17, 09:24 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Part of what made Rey, Finn and Poe such great characters in TFA is now 2/3 missing. These characters were instantly likeable before, partly because of the chemistry we saw between Finn and Poe, then Rey and Finn acting off each other. Now we have Poe off doing his own thing and Finn is teamed up with... Rose. Rey's story is the most interesting since she had the advantage of being teamed up with Luke so I feel this plotline was the movie's high points. But I've got a serious gripe about the Rey/Luke story arc...
Everyone split up in Empire. That’s the template.
Old 12-16-17, 09:25 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

So obviously the Big 3 were brought back to sell tickets but Episode 9 will bear the brunt of that miscalculation because you are left with no OT Big 3 and an alienated fanbase.
What evidence do you have that Mark will not return for IX?
Old 12-16-17, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm also starting the realize the entire story of Star Wars is something that is supposed to have a finite conclusion at some point. This isn't a saga that lends itself well to a movie every two years. Regardless of how many billions Disney paid to do this, I just don't see how we can have trilogy after trilogy of one Jedi vs. one Sith constantly paying homage to episodes 4-6.
Old 12-16-17, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts

It took till the end of the second movie for Rey & Poe to meet.
Old 12-16-17, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Everyone split up in Empire. That’s the template.
Correct - and TLJ is definitely following an Empire template. But Luke/Yoda and Han/Leia are still entertaining team-ups. Finn/Rose and Poe by himself is not. Finn and Poe are great characters that were wasted this time.
Old 12-16-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Poe "Anyone here a codebreaker?"
Rebel raises hand "I used to hack computer banks back home growing up"

Done
That ability would've been well-known in a group of rebels. I'm sure they would be needed from time to time.
Old 12-16-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IIG
I really hope your family sits you down for an intervention at some point. A Lucas addiction is a dangerous and destructive problem.

All joking aside, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I wasn't a big fan of the prequels. My biggest complaint was the acting in all 3 films, and I'd place the blame squarely on George. He is an amazing visionary, but he clearly just doesn't know how to get a good performance out of his actors.
Old 12-16-17, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse
What evidence do you have that Mark will not return for IX?
Because he has bad mouthed the movie from day one (except when Disney told him to knock it off) and suddenly he said it was the best since ESB.

Hamill is not coming back for future movies as a Ghost as he never wanted to do the ST to begin with. He said he felt obligated once Ford and Fisher said yes, but said he thought that the OT story was where should have ended for Luke, Leia and Han.

Hamill knew this movie was shit, he warned us numerous times before the Disney PR machine got to him.
Old 12-16-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
After sleeping on it, I would say this movie is comparable to Episode III. Both have a shiny veneer but there are too many issues beneath the surface. These really bugged me which I didn't see mentioned before...

1. Part of what I liked about TFA were all these mysteries it teased us with that got me excited about the solutions. But now I'm beginning to realize these were set up with no one knowing how they would be resolved. Luke's lightsaber ending up in Maz's possession is one that I suspect falls into this trap.
I'm sure that will probably be discussed in one of the upcoming novels you'll have to buy. Hell... at least I still have the EU's version of how that happened (pre ST).

2. I was very underwhelmed about the Rose character. I believe she exists solely so Disney can pat themselves on the back about how much diversity now exists in the Star Wars universe.
Maybe the actress is a friends with someone at Disney or the production team. We already had Paige (who was in the first film), why not incorporate her more in the story? Same goes for Holdo. I guess they wanted her to be the new Mon Mothma? Why not just get Mon Mothma back (either the original actress or the one from Rogue One)? Hell... they had Admiral Ackbar (who could've filled Holdo's spot) and he went out like a bitch. Nien Nunb did absolutely nothing this time around. I will say that I didn't give a shit about Rose Tico. She was about as pointless as Poochie from the Simpsons.

3. Part of what made Rey, Finn and Poe such great characters in TFA is now 2/3 missing. These characters were instantly likeable before, partly because of the chemistry we saw between Finn and Poe, then Rey and Finn acting off each other. Now we have Poe off doing his own thing and Finn is teamed up with... Rose. Rey's story is the most interesting since she had the advantage of being teamed up with Luke so I feel this plotline was the movie's high points. But I've got a serious gripe about the Rey/Luke story arc...
Probably structured that way to give Rose Tico more screen time..who the fuck knows.

4. Am I really supposed to believe after three short Jedi lessons she can now effortlessly move boulders like that? Is she as powerful as Yoda?
Yes... Apparently the Nobodies are force prodigies, more power than the Skywalker clan.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.