Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-21-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm fine with the movie as is but...

I don't recall who suggested it here, or if they pulled it from the twittersphere or elsewhere, but to satisfy the nerds and bring Luke back, just make everything that happens after Rey touches the mirror an alternate/mirror reality. That would fix a ton of shit people complained about. About the only thing that wouldn't fix is Grumpy Old Man Luke. Abrams could fix that though. It's almost more Star Trek-ish, but I think it could work.

It would open up the series to a whole new toolbox of ideas and possibilities.

I mean if fans want Lucasfilm to pander to their every whim, this is probably the best way to do it. It doesn't erase all of TLJ, but would alter a significant amount of it.
It still doesn't fix all of Johnson's crap like "Carrie Poppins" and Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder.

I'd break Ep IX into two parts, effectively making it a new VIII and IX, and saying TLJ was just a prophetic dream/vision Finn had in the bacta.

Then start IX Part One six months after TFA with Rey training with Luke. Leia dosn't need to appear in either movie, or just reuse footage of her from Finn's nightmare. Rose Tico shows up as a completely different character.

It ain't gonna happen, but a boy can dream...
Old 06-21-18, 02:26 PM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Wow. I try giving people the benefit of the doubt on where they're coming from on not liking The Last Jedi, but this is the sort of thing that comes off like the worst levels of the reddit snake eating itself.
Old 06-21-18, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rian Johnson endorses it:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sorry, I don't know how to embed tweets.
Old 06-21-18, 08:04 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

serious question, does anybody think the higher ups truly are having second thoughts about proceeding with Rian Johnson's trilogy?
Old 06-21-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^ I think the higher ups are questioning a lot right now. Rian Johnson’s trilogy, stand-alone character films, etc. 6 months ago this was an untouchable franchise. Now, I think they realize they actually have to put some thought into these movies if they want the franchise to continue to succeed. I think prior to TLJ and Solo, they were under an assumption that they could churn out any pile of shit, slap “Star Wars” on it, and it would make a billion dollars.
Old 06-21-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
serious question, does anybody think the higher ups truly are having second thoughts about proceeding with Rian Johnson's trilogy?
Absolutely, and he knows it which is why he keeps commenting about TLJ hate. That trilogy would make him a ridiculous amount of money.

According to Collider.

Disney is done experimenting with new or unusual filmmakers and will go back to proven veteran talent who they know can handle a big budget Star Wars production in an effort to prevent future production chaos, drama, and firings.
Disney seems to be stepping into the situation.
Old 06-21-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Outsider Johnson's The Last Jedi made north of a billion dollars and veteran Ron Howard's Solo ate shit.

I don't think there's an easy formula. The audience for Star Wars seems really mercurial at this time, and it's going to drive the Mouse crazy trying to puzzle out what went wrong.

The bean-counters will take TLJ's box office into account when they decide how to proceed, so Johnson isn't necessarily a dead man walking in the magic kingdom.

Kennedy might be in trouble, though, the way she goes through directors and blows up the budgets.
Old 06-21-18, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Outsider Johnson's The Last Jedi made north of a billion dollars and veteran Ron Howard's Solo ate shit.

I don't think there's an easy formula. The audience for Star Wars seems really mercurial at this time, and it's going to drive the Mouse crazy trying to puzzle out what went wrong.

The bean-counters will take TLJ's box office into account when they decide how to proceed, so Johnson isn't necessarily a dead man walking in the magic kingdom.

Kennedy might be in trouble, though, the way she goes through directors and blows up the budgets.
C'mon man, you know the follow up, Solo, is paying the price for RJ's movie.
Old 06-21-18, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, I don't think it's a good idea to let RJ do another SW movie.

Ridley, Boyega & Isaac probably will get signed on for Episodes X-XII.
Old 06-21-18, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
Again, that's just one factor. TLJ doesn't get to almost $1.5b with supposedly "everyone" hating the movie.

Star Wars flicks are 'event' movies. When there is one every 6-18 months it's no longer special. That quick window aside, Solo did not look like an event movie anyway.
Old 06-21-18, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I honestly don't know. I absolutely loathed The Last Jedi, but it still made a shit-ton of money. While I didn't love Solo, I liked it quite a bit.

It might be a delayed backlash against TLJ. Casual fans seemed to like TLJ, but the hardcore SW nerds seem pretty split over it. But it seems like that casual audience didn't turn out for Solo.

It might be because the audience didn't want to see Han Solo played by the new guy with the funny name.

It might be because the movie was poorly marketed. It took forever to get the trailer out. They also didn't show a lot of Ehrenreich's performance in the trailers and tv spots, and that might have caused people to think they were trying to hide a bad performance. Would a teaser before TLJ have helped?

It might be because TFA soured people on the chatacter. Knowing how he ended up might have made people not care about seeing his origin story.

It might because five months after the previous Star Wars movie was too soon.

I doubt it was the behind the scenes turmoil; most people are clueless about stuff like that and don't follow the inside baseball stuff that we movie nerds do.
Old 06-22-18, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

I would think that Disney is having second thoughts about sinking money into any Star Wars films that will be directed by Rian Johnson no matter how much money TLJ made.

The backlash is out there and those who disliked TLJ won't pony up more money to see a film directed by the man who they feel destroyed Star Wars. As a matter of fact, a substantial number of Star War fans will probably end up boycotting any film that Rian Johnson is associated with unless Episode IX somehow makes the lump of coal TLJ turn into something that isn't a lump of coal.

When does Rian Johnson begin filming his trilogy of films? After Episode IX is released? I think Disney is in the "wait and see" category until the company sees how the end of this trilogy shakes out.
Old 06-22-18, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

The marketing for Solo was bizarre--I still can't believe they didn't have a trailer ready to play before TLJ. As Josh correctly points out, there were all kinds of factors, and I don't think it was any one thing but a collection of them that caused it to underperform at the box office (and that might be a generous way to describe it).
Old 06-22-18, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
My serious answer is no.
Old 06-22-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

It would be awesome of Johnson's first film of his trilogy ends on a massive cliffhanger and then ends up making less than Solo and Disney cancels the next two films.
Old 06-22-18, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
It would be awesome of Johnson's first film of his trilogy ends on a massive cliffhanger and then ends up making less than Solo and Disney cancels the next two films.
It would be awesome because...
Old 06-22-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The online meltdown.
Old 06-22-18, 06:44 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I don't wish for Star Wars to ever fail. The franchise, as watered down as it has become, and as crappy as TLJ is, means too much for me. Hoping JJ can pull it together for me with Ep 9.
Old 06-22-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Lucasfilm "Licking Their Wounds" But Not Halting 'Star Wars' Development

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...opment-1122655
Old 06-22-18, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
No, TLJ made bank and that's all that matters. When movie studios listen to the internet they get Snakes on a Plane and they won't forget that lesson anytime soon. If Rian Johnson's next SW movie bombs, then they might reconsider.
Old 06-22-18, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Because it would upend expectations, which according to fans is his gift to the franchise.
Old 06-22-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Because it would upend expectations, which according to fans is his gift to the franchise.
Old 06-23-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
No, TLJ made bank and that's all that matters. When movie studios listen to the internet they get Snakes on a Plane and they won't forget that lesson anytime soon. If Rian Johnson's next SW movie bombs, then they might reconsider.
I don’t expect Disney execs to listen to the internet or SW fanatics (that remake petition nonsense is beyond stupid), and I wouldn’t want them to. What I do expect them to do is put some actual thought behind the series when making them. Making this current trilogy (VII, VIII, IX) without any sort of cohesive plan for them, planning stand-alone character films, sloppy productions, etc. just screams the ultimate in laziness to me when it comes to SW. I know not everyone is Marvel, nor do I really want everyone following that model, but for fuck’s same, put A LITTLE thought into it when making these movies, please!

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-23-18 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-23-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Yes, but it also made far less bank than TFA and, using internal metrics, I'm sure they've determined IX could go even lower if it doesn't appeal to a majority of the fans.
Old 06-23-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Yes, but it also made far less bank than TFA...
Which is what Disney and nearly everyone else projected before the film was even released.

I've posted about this before, but TLJ met or exceeded the BO projections for it.

Now, Solo has failed to meet projections, so the BO of that film has Disney/Lucasfilm concerned. Maybe TLJ has something to do with it, but that's a very complicated question to answer.

However, "TLJ made less than TFA" is a weak argument. Absolutely nobody was expecting it to earn as much, and Disney/Lucasfilm were more than happy with the ROI on that film.

Note that there was no credible news on Lucasfilm rethinking their plans until after Solo bombed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.