DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What would you rather watch: Something new, or something old? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/642318-what-would-you-rather-watch-something-new-something-old.html)

robin2099 12-05-17 10:58 AM

What would you rather watch: Something new, or something old?

I don't have much time to watch movies anymore. I work thirds and between sleeping during the day, and how much I work my movie watching time is pretty limited, so its becoming harder and harder to keep up with what's new.

Because of this, I tend to put most older movies that I might watch on the back burner(which makes me fell stupid that I purchase them to display because they just collect dust and aren't watched at all).

So do you prefer watching something new, something older or a combo of both? How do you find yourself trying to keep up?

funkyryno 12-05-17 11:26 AM

Re: What would you rather watch: Something new, or something old?

I prefer to watch something that I haven't viewed before, doesn't really matter when it was made. Although, I'm not sure why I hesitate to rewatch movies, because I'm finding watching anything I haven't seen in more than 5 years is almost like watching it for the first time (i.e. swiss chess old man brain syndrome).

TomOpus 12-05-17 11:53 AM

Should've been a poll.

Something new, easy. I'm partially retired so I have plenty of time to mix it up.

jpcamb 12-05-17 12:15 PM

I'm for sure tired of seeing all the remakes especially with them typically being not well done. I generally prefer something new to me. I find things made in the late 90s/early 2000s a little harder to watch as they seem dated because of technology advances but older and newer than that are still fun to watch.

B5Erik 12-05-17 12:19 PM

I love watching Films Noir from the 40's and Westerns from the 50's just as much as modern movies. I just wish I had more time for all of them.

If I had to choose I would probably lean towards the classic era movies.

d2cheer 12-05-17 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by funkyryno (Post 13219982)
I prefer to watch something that I haven't viewed before, doesn't really matter when it was made. Although, I'm not sure why I hesitate to rewatch movies, because I'm finding watching anything I haven't seen in more than 5 years is almost like watching it for the first time (i.e. swiss chess old man brain syndrome).

This!!

mcnabb 12-05-17 12:43 PM

Since most movies are crap today (Blockbusters have pretty much taken over the calendar year except for the last week of December), I pretty much just watch older movies (The Godfather, Star Wars, Rocky, Back to the Future, etc) that I love these days. I have substituted the time I used to watch new movies for TV shows (cable/streaming dramas) now as they are just better quality at this point.

Kedrix 12-05-17 01:19 PM

Something old (70s/80s) but new to me is kinda my sweet spot. But as many others have discussed, if I haven't seen it in 5 years (unless I've seen it 30 times), it's new to me anymore. I don't mind new films, but if we are going preference, this is where I am at.

Obi-Wanma 12-05-17 01:34 PM

Something borrowed

Troy Stiffler 12-05-17 01:34 PM

Whatever I can grab at. There's too much out there. There was a time when I would watch every single movie that comes into the theater (including kids movies, rom coms, and movies that I know will be awful). But there's sooo much content out there now. I think "eating an elephant" is the term.

Ash Ketchum 12-05-17 05:15 PM

I saw 22 movies in November: four of them from the 21st century, one from the 1990s and 17 of them from before 1970. Right now I'm going through a cache of Japanese films from the 1950s and '60s, most of them unheard of before I acquired them and some have been great and the rest at least good.

In short...old.

Norm de Plume 12-05-17 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13220126)
Something borrowed

Something blue can sometimes hit the spot too.

TomOpus 12-05-17 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 13220369)
Something blue can sometimes hit the spot too.

Why So Blue?

Quatermass 12-06-17 12:48 PM

Something Weird

davidlynchfan 12-07-17 08:33 PM

Something old of course but if I haven't seen it before then its new to me, right?
I just can't get enough of those 70s/80s hot trash and just when I think i've seen them all, there's still tons more to be rediscovered.