Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are You Afraid of the Dark? (2019)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-17, 06:28 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Know what’s really hot in Hollywood right now besides Star Wars and superheroes? Genre storytelling, and nostalgia. Just look at the success Warner Bros. had with It, and the buzz Netflix is enjoying right now thanks to Stranger Things.

To that end, Paramount Players is gathering around the campfire for a feature adaptation of the beloved Nickelodeon show Are You Afraid of the Dark?, hiring red-hot horror scribe Gary Dauberman to pen the script, the Tracking Board has exclusively learned.

Matt Kaplan will produce the movie, and plot details are being kept under wraps.

Paramount Players is a new division at Paramount Pictures that is led by Awesomeness founder Brian Robbins. In a June statement, Paramount chief Jim Gianopulos said that Paramount Players would “focus, in distinctive ways, on contemporary talent and properties for young audiences while drawing upon the vast resources of the Viacom brands.”

Nickelodeon is, of course, one of those Viacom brands, along with MTV, Comedy Central and BET, and Are You Afraid of the Dark? was one of the key shows from the network’s memorable SNICK lineup in the ’90s.

The show revolved around a group of teenagers who referred to themselves as The Midnight Society. Every week, at a secret location in the woods, one members would tell a scary story to the rest of the group, some of which were based on public domain fairy tales, short stories or urban legends.

The original Canadian horror/fantasy-themed anthology series was created by D.J. MacHale and Ned Kandel, and was picked up by Nickelodeon in 1991, though it didn’t debut until SNICK’s launch on Saturday, Aug. 15, 1992. The show ran until April 1996, and a revival series with new writers, directors, writers and cast members was produced by Nickelodeon from 1999 to 2000.

Next up for Dauberman, who wrote Annabelle, Annabelle Creation and the horror blockbuster It, is The Nun, which is a further extension of the Conjuring universe. He’s represented by ICM Partners, Industry Entertainment and attorney Eric Suddleson.

With It, Get Out, Split and Annabelle: Creation among this year’s most successful films, Paramount is betting the horror craze won’t die down anytime soon, as the studio just hired Starry Eyes filmmakers Kevin Kolsch and Dennis Widmyer to direct a remake of Stephen King’s Pet Sematary. I grew up as a huge fan of both that film and Are You Afraid of the Dark? (and R.L. Stine’s Fear Street series, which is in development at 20th Century Fox), so here’s hoping horror stays hot over the next couple years.
http://www.tracking-board.com/are-yo...ers-exclusive/
Old 11-14-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
re: Are You Afraid of the Dark? (2019)

I'd say this might not work but, then, I said the same about "Goosebumps" and that was a ton of fun. So, yea, go ahead and make this.
Old 11-14-17, 12:11 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Anyone who watched this is about 40 now. Kids don’t know what this is.
Old 11-14-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

I watched it and I’m nowhere near 40. But yeah, probably not a lot of kids who know about this.
Old 11-14-17, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by mabuse
anyone who watched this is about 40 now. Kids don’t know what this is.
late 20s to 30s, minimum.
Old 11-14-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I’m 31 and watched it as a kid. Truthfully I’d be more interested in it coming back as a series rather than a movie.
Old 11-15-17, 02:59 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the first horror films I saw in my childhood.
Old 12-06-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Paramount Dates ‘Are You Afraid Of The Dark?’ From ‘It’ Screenwriter Gary Dauberman

Paramount will release Are You Afraid of the Dark? based on the Canadian/Nickelodeon 1990s aired anthology series on Oct. 11, 2019. It scribe Gary Dauberman is writing and will produce with Matt Kaplan. Paramount is producing in conjunction with Nickelodeon Movies.
http://deadline.com/2017/12/paramoun...an-1202221436/
Old 12-06-17, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Anyone who watched this is about 40 now. Kids don’t know what this is.
I'm about 40 and I don't know what this is.
Old 12-06-17, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
I'm about 40 and I don't know what this is.
It's more 30 - 35ish, a year or two makes a big difference in whats big in kids television
Old 12-06-17, 09:49 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Really liked this show as a kid. Not sure it will be popular as I have no idea how popular it was when I was a kid, and I’m 36, and I stopped watching Nickelodeon around when Rocco’s Modern Life started.

Goosebumps had a bigger reach and didn’t do too great of (though solid) business, but who knows.
Old 12-06-17, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

This show really sparked my love of horror as a kid. It ran for five seasons and then got revived for a couple more a few years later. So yeah, pretty popular. I'm in my early thirties and I still have some of the monsters seared into my psyche... like these bastards right here:

"I command you, enter the amulet!"

"What's the matter kid? Ya don't like to laugh?"

"It's the most fun in the park..."

I'm not sure how well a movie version will do. As far as brand recognition, Goosebumps is more high-profile... but this was definitely the superior children's horror show at the time. It would be nice to see cameos from the original Midnight Society members as the parents of a new generation. Many of them appear to have quit acting. JoAnna Garcia (Sam) has had the most steady adult career... and the kid that played Tucker had a role in Mean Girls.
Old 12-07-17, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I still remember the creepy ass episode where a vampire walks out of the movie screen and slowly up the aisles. Really freaked me out as a kid.

I would still rather see this return as a Netflix series than just one movie.
Old 05-04-18, 05:27 AM

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 12-13-18, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: Are You Afraid of the Dark? (2019)

D.J. Caruso Directing ‘Are You Afraid of the Dark?’ [Exclusive]

Bloody Disgusting is hearing exclusively that D.J. Caruso is in talks to direct the feature that IT writer Gary Dauberman previously said will “honor the darker, scarier tone of the show.”

Caruso is an interesting choice as his most recent directing gigs include The Disappointments Room and xXx: Return of Xander Cage, although he also helmed the fantastic teen thriller Disturbia back in 2007.

The show revolved around a group of teenagers who referred to themselves as The Midnight Society. Every week, at a secret location in the woods, one member would tell a scary story to the rest of the group, some of which were based on public domain fairy tales, short stories or urban legends. The new film will be a completely original story told by The Midnight Society.

Paramount is targeting an October 11, 2019, release, so getting a director locked in so they can begin casting is imperative.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ark-exclusive/