DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Morbius -- Spider-Man spinoff (2022, D: Espinosa) S: Leto (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/642115-morbius-spider-man-spinoff-2022-d-espinosa-s-leto.html)

dex14 11-13-17 11:14 AM

Morbius -- Spider-Man spinoff (2022, D: Espinosa) S: Leto

Sony’s cinematic universe based on Spider-Man characters just got a little bigger.

The studio is developing Morbius, a feature project centered on Spider-Man antihero Morbius the Living Vampire.

Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama, who worked on the recent Power Rangers movie, wrote the script, which was just submitted to the studio after a secret development process.

Morbius was created by writer Roy Thomas and artist Gil Kane and first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man #101, the first issue not written by Spider-Man co-creator Stan Lee.

Morbius is Dr. Michael Morbius, a scientist who suffered from a rare blood disease and attempted to cure himself to disastrous results. He instead became afflicted with a condition that was a form of vampirism — the thirst for blood, along with fangs and super strength — and fought Spider-Man. Over time, however, he became a slightly heroic figure in his own right.

Details of Sony’s take on the character are not known.

Sony has been furiously developing its stable of Marvel-licensed characters that are mostly based off the heroes and villains that are connected to Spider-Man. However, these new movies will not be connected to Sony’s Tom Holland movies and not connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe that is being produced by Marvel Studios.

Sony had no comment.

Sharpless and Sazama previously tackled vampirism with Dracula Untold, Universal’s origin of the most famous vampire that starred Luke Evans. They also count The Last Witch Hunter and Gods of Egypt among their credits.

The duo also are showrunning and writing the Lost in Space reboot for Netflix that is to debut next year.

They are repped by ICM Partners.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20171113

devilshalo 11-13-17 11:27 AM

re: Morbius -- Spider-Man spinoff (2022, D: Espinosa) S: Leto

Interesting. Glad they are following through since he was referenced in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Timber 11-13-17 11:27 AM

Will never see the light of day...

Mike86 11-13-17 12:29 PM

These are getting to be as silly as all the DC announcements. The character himself isn’t bad but a solo film based on just him is dumb. Venom is the only one that really makes sense to a degree because he’s a popular enough character.

devilshalo 11-13-17 01:46 PM

Does Marvel have Blade back? Would be kinda neat to have the Spirits of Vengeance: Midnight Sons movie. Morbius, Blade, Ghost Rider.

I still think the last Sony Ghostrider film wasn't that bad (much better than the first and whatever that was on AoS), but they should have made the kid Daimon Hellstrom.

dex14 11-13-17 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 13205121)
Does Marvel have Blade back? Would be kinda neat to have the Spirits of Vengeance: Midnight Sons movie. Morbius, Blade, Ghost Rider.

I still think the last Sony Ghostrider film wasn't that bad (much better than the first and whatever that was on AoS), but they should have made the kid Daimon Hellstrom.

They do.

stingermck 11-13-17 02:06 PM

I cant wait to watch this as a double feature with Sinister Six

Obi-Wanma 11-13-17 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13205142)

I want a triple feature with the young Aunt May movie.

Trevor 11-13-17 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Timber (Post 13204989)
Will never see the light of day...

I see what you did there...

Josh-da-man 11-14-17 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni (Post 13205148)
I want a triple feature with the young Aunt May movie.

No, you don't.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Trouble_1.jpg

Hokeyboy 11-14-17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13205039)
These are getting to be as silly as all the DC announcements.

There it is :lol:

Sony's Spidey-verse could be the most idiotic, ill-conceived concept in all of the "Connected Cinematic Universes". These characters are barely known, and without a Spider-Man/Peter Parker to hold them together, few outside of small geek circles will give a shit.

The Antipodean 11-14-17 04:48 PM

Wake me up when we get that Hypno-Hustler movie.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...iderMan024.jpg

rw2516 11-15-17 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 13205142)

Or double featured with a Man-Wolf movie.

B5Erik 11-15-17 09:13 AM

I wanted to see Morbius as the villain in a Spider-Man movie. I suppose we still could, depending on how this movie is handled (assuming it gets made).

I always liked Morbius as a character.

rw2516 11-15-17 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 13206465)
I wanted to see Morbius as the villain in a Spider-Man movie.

That is the ideal route.

Josh-da-man 11-15-17 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 13206039)
Sony's Spidey-verse could be the most idiotic, ill-conceived concept in all of the "Connected Cinematic Universes". These characters are barely known, and without a Spider-Man/Peter Parker to hold them together, few outside of small geek circles will give a shit.

Yeah, it does strike me as beyond stupid to attempt to make a Spider-Man cinematic universe without Spider-Man. Sony had to go crawling back to Marvel because they couldn't even make a Spider-Man movie people wanted to see.

So, so far, it looks like a Sinister Six movie, a Venom movie, a Silver Sable & Black Cat movie, and now a Morbius movie?

Sounds frightfully ill-conceived, but Sony seems desperate to find some shit that will stick on a wall...

TheMovieman 06-27-18 02:17 PM

Jared Leto to Star in ‘Spider-Man’ Spinoff ‘Morbius’ From Director Daniel Espinosa

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/j...us-1202799820/

dex14 06-27-18 02:33 PM

Leto... bleh...

Mike86 06-27-18 03:20 PM

Maybe he’ll have a bunch of gawdy tattoos that let everyone know what his character is.

Why So Blu? 06-27-18 03:41 PM

I'm an Espinosa fan. Life was one of the best science fiction flicks of the last couple of years.

Toddarino 06-27-18 03:57 PM

Fuck. I was actually looking forward to this.

devilshalo 11-21-18 02:46 PM

Sony Dates Two Spider-Man Universe Movies for 2020
By MATT DONNELLY @MattDonnelly

Sony Pictures is staking out two significant dates in 2020 for their piece of the Marvel pie, the Spider-Man universe.

An untitled Sony-Marvel project will hit theaters on July 10, 2020, with an untitled Sony-Marvel sequel following on Oct. 2.

While no specifics were provided in the studio’s announcement, the July project is likely “Morbius,” starring Jared Leto. The October date is presumably a sequel to Tom Hardy’s smash hit “Venom.”
Makes sense. It's set to shoot in February.

brayzie 11-21-18 03:09 PM

I think Jared Leto will make a good vampire.

It's weird though to see a Spider-man spin-off movie about Morbius.
I was a big fan of the Spider-man comics as a kid, and I always forget about Morbius being one of his villains.

JackoOnHisBacko 11-21-18 03:31 PM

I'm not a comic book fan. I figured Morbius was the first morbidly-obese superhero.

Deftones 12-14-18 07:39 PM

http://www.darkhorizons.com/arjona-i...rvels-morbius/

Adria Arjona (“Emerald City,” “Pacific Rim Uprising”) is in talks to play Martine, the female lead opposite Jared Leto in the Marvel Comics feature adaptation of “Morbius the Living Vampire” at Sony Pictures.

Daniel Espinosa is directing the spin-off film which follows renowned biochemist Dr. Michael Morbius who attempts to cure a fatal blood disease by injecting himself with a treatment serum derived from bats.

This transforms him into the anti-hero Morbius who has all the qualities of a vampire, including a taste for human blood. In the comics, Martine is engaged to Morbius and becomes a potential victim to his bloodlust as he grapples with the transformation.

Burk Sharpless and Matt Sazama co-wrote the script while Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach will produce with Lucas Foster.

Arjona recently signed on for Olivier Assayas’ spy drama “Wasp Network” alongside Penelope Cruz, Pedro Pascal and Edgar Ramirez. That deals with a Florida-based, U.S. government-approved terrorist network of Cuban spies in the 1990s.