Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Morbius -- Spider-Man spinoff (2022, D: Espinosa) S: Leto

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Morbius -- Spider-Man spinoff (2022, D: Espinosa) S: Leto

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
re: Morbius -- Spider-Man spinoff (2022, D: Espinosa) S: Leto

Well, I didn't expect The Vulture in this.
Old 01-13-20, 11:39 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I almost suspect the two references in the trailer will be the only ones in the movie.
I suspect you are as correct as much as Leto loves underaged girls.
Spoiler:
Very.

Old 01-13-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I keep watching it and... it looks like a 30 Seconds to Mars music video.
Old 01-13-20, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I suspect you are as correct as much as Leto loves underaged girls.
Spoiler:
Very.

sigh, what is wrong with this guy?
Old 01-13-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

It doesn’t look bad but I’m not overly interested in this either. The character doesn’t interest me that much for a solo film and I’m not really big on Leto. The most interesting aspect is the ties to the MCU and if that will go further. I’m sure I’ll see it when it’s out.
Old 01-13-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

sigh, what is wrong with this guy?
Messiah complex.. plus very cult-ish with his Camp Mars stuff. He's the new Manson.
The following 2 users liked this post by devilshalo:
candyrocket786 (01-13-20), IBJoel (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I suspect the crossover will be one way (Sony referencing it's MCU installments) but it definitely ups my interest in this.
And I suspect this is what Sony really wanted when they took Spider-man away from Disney. People will be more interested in these films if they exist in the same universe.
Old 01-13-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
I suspect the crossover will be one way (Sony referencing it's MCU installments) but it definitely ups my interest in this.
Yeah, I suspect it may be "one way" as well, sort of like how Agents of SHIELD would reference the MCU and even feature some of the characters, but the MCU films completely ignored Agents of SHIELD.

I'll go one further and say that the Sony Spiderverse films will only reference Sony's Spider-Man films, and not the greater MCU. So JJJ, the Vulture, and other characters from those two films may cameo, we shouldn't expect Hulk or Hawkeye to pop in.
Old 01-13-20, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Other than the Keaton cameo, the trailer felt very "meh" to me. Some aspects reminded me of "The Fly" remake, but without Cronenberg's wit and with a dull actor in the lead.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

While the main plot looks astonishingly copy-pasted ("daring professional gets special powers in their quest on behalf of their personal/career crusade and then the bad guy gets the same powers and they fight" was the exact same plot of Venom, Doctor Strange, and Iron Man, no?), the MCU connection is kind of intriguing, just to see how much it will incorporate. I almost suspect the two references in the trailer will be the only ones in the movie.
Yeah, this looks very cookie-cutter.
It seems like a very generic horror/sci-fi/action mash-up.
Worse, it doesn't even feel like a Marvel or Spider-man-related movie.

Old 01-13-20, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

What in the Dracula, Batman, Spider-Man, Nightcrawler, and Daredevil mash-up, bullshit is this?

Just kidding. I'm kinda familiar with Morbius. Doubt I'll pay to see in in theaters but I'll eventually check it out. to SONY for digging deeper into the comic character "Not an A-list Character" bucket.
Old 01-13-20, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
to SONY for digging deeper into the comic character "Not an A-list Character" bucket.
There's not a lot to mine from the Spidey Universe in that regard. At some point, I'm sure Black Cat or Silver Sable will come back around. And Morbius was teased in the Garfield movie.
Old 01-13-20, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
There's not a lot to mine from the Spidey Universe in that regard. At some point, I'm sure Black Cat or Silver Sable will come back around. And Morbius was teased in the Garfield movie.
Fair enough. But they coulda said, "Naw, noone cares about Morbius" and not made this. Good or bad, I just like that more Comic Films are being put out and that they are not all A-list heroes.
Old 01-13-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was he? I don’t remember that, but it’s been a while since I’ve watched either of the Garfield Spidey movies.
Old 01-13-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Had a very Dracula Untold vibe. I'm in!
Old 01-13-20, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Was he? I don’t remember that, but it’s been a while since I’ve watched either of the Garfield Spidey movies.

Old 01-13-20, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah I see. I don’t think I ever caught that.
Old 01-13-20, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

And Morbius was teased in the Garfield movie.
I gotta stop drinking. I thought you were talking about the orange cat movie before you posted the screenshot.
Old 01-13-20, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 01-13-20, 10:39 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

That didn’t look too bad to me, although Leto himself makes me hesitant. Still, this is certainly the kind of role that suits him.
Interesting that this is set in the MCU. I’d assumed this would be set in the same world as Venom, which is not part of the MCU afaik.
This is something I’ve said a couple of times since the Disney/Fox merger, but I would bet money that either the next MCU phase or the one after will build towards the Secret Wars II comic story, which is basically Marvel’s version of Crisis on Infinite Earths. It seems to me to be the most logical way to eventually incorporate mutants into the MCU, even if they recast the X-Men (which I would prefer they do instead of using the cast of the current crop of movies, Deadpool excluded).

So, I remember reading a Morbius arc or two in the Spidey comics as a kid in the 90’s, but I don’t remember much, and can’t say I’m very familiar with the character. My memory of him though is that he is more of a “good” vampire, more anti-hero than villain. I’m curious to know if there’s any good stories that throw him and Blade together and show what kind of relationship they have. Anyone have any recommendations for some good Morbius/Blade stuff I can read?
Old 01-13-20, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Morbius was initially a villain when he was introduced in Amazing Spider-Man #101 back in 1971, though he eventually became an anti-hero and received an ongoing series in the early 90s when Marvel created a supernatural-based superhero line called "Midnight Sons," spun off from the popularity of the new Ghost Rider series. The line consisted of Ghost Rider, Ghost Rider: Spirits of Vengeance, Morbius The Living Vampire, Darkhord, Nightstalkers (featuring Blade), and, later, Dr. Strange.

I don't remember any interaction between Morbius and Blade, and I don't know if any of these comics could be considered "good" (early 90s when Marvel was churning out titles right and left to try to eat up shelf space from other publishers).

Did some checking, and found this on Wikipedia:

Blade the Vampire-Slayer and Morbius have had an ongoing feud which began in Adventure into Fear #24. The two also clashed in Marvel Preview #8, Blade the Vampire Hunter #8, Blade vol. 1 #2–3, and Blade vol. 4 #5. Blade, while possessed by a demonic presence, killed Morbius in Morbius the Living Vampire #12, but Morbius was resurrected in Spirits of Vengeance #13.
Old 01-13-20, 11:49 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Too bad. Those 2 seem like they’d be perfect for a story where they have to begrudgingly team up to fight a common enemy.
Old 01-14-20, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Why do I get the feeling that someone at Sony caught wind of Marvels plans to being back Blade and saw the potential opportunity for another crossover with one of their characters if they got a Morbius movie into development. Having Keaton in the trailer and the Spiderman game poster only strengthens that if you ask me. Seems like they are screaming out to be considered part of the greater MCU. I anticipate something very similar happening with the Venom 2 movie.

Speaking if Venom, the trailer felt very similar in storyline and tone. The final shot looked good, the rest of it looked like a movie from 15 years ago it was so generic. Interesting character to develop, but I dont hold out much hope for this one. I imagine the story is going to be so cookie cutter that it will prove to be a snoozefest.
Old 01-14-20, 05:41 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Why do I get the feeling that someone at Sony caught wind of Marvels plans to being back Blade and saw the potential opportunity for another crossover with one of their characters if they got a Morbius movie into development. Having Keaton in the trailer and the Spiderman game poster only strengthens that if you ask me. Seems like they are screaming out to be considered part of the greater MCU. I anticipate something very similar happening with the Venom 2 movie.

Speaking if Venom, the trailer felt very similar in storyline and tone. The final shot looked good, the rest of it looked like a movie from 15 years ago it was so generic. Interesting character to develop, but I dont hold out much hope for this one. I imagine the story is going to be so cookie cutter that it will prove to be a snoozefest.
This was in development before Blade was announced.
Old 01-14-20, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
This was in development before Blade was announced.
And I would think Ghost Rider would have never reverted back to Marvel if it were the case.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.