Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Box Office: 'Justice League' Enters Weekend With Just $55M Global

This is going to be a rollercoaster weekend for folks with a stake in the global box office opening for Justice League. The film earned a very disconcerting (if it plays like a standard DC movie) $13 million in Thursday previews and a merely "pretty good" $16m Friday in China. That points, offhand, to an over/under $50m launch in China (which is fine if it's not front loaded like Batman v Superman) and a domestic opening of, if it plays like Suicide Squad, $86m. To be fair, it could play like Wonder Woman and open with $122m, but it could also play like Batman v Superman and earn just $78m for the weekend.

The Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. superhero sequel, with a budget of over $250 million, opened in 38 new markets on Thursday and earned $18m on around 22,300 screens. Counting that China Friday, the overseas total is now $42m and counting the $13m North American Thursday its global cume is $55m heading into the weekend. For comparison, Batman v Superman had $92m heading into its first weekend, including a $22m Friday in China and a $27.7m Thursday sneak in North America.

Of note, it opened with $1.7 million in Australia which was WB's biggest opening day of 2017 and 51% bigger than Wonder Woman. Twas about on par with Thor: Ragnarok. It earned $1.3m in Russia, which was a bigger opening day than Wonder Woman (+49%) and Thor: Ragnarok (+33%), It also had a $2.3m opening day (counting $1.14m in Wednesday sneaks) in South Korea. It actually made up 85% of Taiwan's entire marketplace via a $760k opening day.And it doubled Wonder Woman's opening day in Italy.

The Zack Snyder/Joss Whedon superhero team-up adventure will open in 18 markets today, including North America, Spain and the United Kingdom. What happens from this point on is entirely dependant on word-of-mouth. The reviews are mixed and consumers may well be weary after getting burned by Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. But if those who venture out to see the film bring bad glad tidings, then we may see something approaching legs. $55 million is more than Wonder Woman ($42m at this juncture), but there is a lot more money at stake for this one that the $150m Gal Gadot adventure.

Let's be honest, these numbers are probably not going to be out of this world over that opening weekend. But, if folks like the movie and tell their friends to see it, WB is counting on legs closer to The Hunger Games: Catching Fire than The Twilight Saga: New Moon to carry it through the Thanksgiving holiday and into Christmas against Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It's a little absurd that a movie like Justice League would have to hope for word-of-mouth, but that's where we are. And it's not entirely outside the realm of possibility that Justice League may end up being the lowest-grossing DC Films offering thus far domestically and worldwide.

But that's a conversation for tomorrow, since if it kicks ass on Friday this will all be mere trivia.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#598ee12465ba

Just to add that my screening yesterday at 6pm was about 70% full.
Old 11-17-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the same theater at the same time as I did with Thor. It was about 1/3rd less full than at the thor screening.

Less excitement around, though it'll still clear a lot of bank, but yeah. this isn't going to be gangbusters or anything.
Old 11-17-17, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Latest update on Deadline says this may not even crack $100mil during opening weekend.
Old 11-17-17, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Hoping WoM will get people in to catch it. I'm not close to being a DC fanboy but this film deserves to do better than BvS.
Old 11-17-17, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was okay. A huge improvement to BvS, which I completely hated. This one had a couple of "really, they're doing that?" moments to it, the feeling of two different approaches to these heroes was pretty clear in the tone Snyder and Whedon had.

That Lantern moment just felt like salt in the wounds and if you were able to introduce these three other guys in one film, quickly throwing in Hal wouldn't have been that bad.

The lack of decent villain, or at least approach to them (I get his "motives") was just lazy.

Was it bad? Not really. Was it good? Meh.
Old 11-17-17, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, as the 2nd most vocal DCEU "hater" 'round these parts, I'm glad I was wrong about them making Superman the bad guy for half the movie.

That being said, aside from the botched way they resurrected Supes, I loved this movie. More thoughts later as daddy duties call.
Old 11-17-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

So would WB finally get rid of Synder now?
Old 11-17-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Oh, and no Superman in the black suit. Apparently that was stuff Snyder shot that will probably never see the light of day.
That’s because, contrary to the popular opinion around here, JL was NOT a Zack Snyder film. His name was left as the sole director credit for contractual reasons. But the reality is that Whedon was a substantial driving force on the film, even before taking the director’s chair. That is why the WGA gave him screenplay credit.

Read this article for some interesting insights:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/11/jus...on-1201898421/
Old 11-17-17, 11:27 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Big DC guy growing up, I didn't think it was a very good movie either, not bad, just not very good.

I'm still trying to figure out what role Aquaman played here (other than a place-filler for his upcoming solo film)?

They should have at least introduced Darkseid here, or some of the other Apokaliptians like Desaad or Granny Goodness. Steppenwolf just wasn't enough to carry the film.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-17-17 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Received 724 Likes on 477 Posts

Was the little girl that was in the house that Flash ended up saving supposed to be someone relevant? They cut to that house a few times through the movie. Enough that it felt like it should be relevant to something other than being in danger and Flash saving those people later on.
Old 11-17-17, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
They should have at least introduced Darkseid here, or some of the other Apokaliptians like Desaad or Granny Goodness. Steppenwolf just wasn't enough to carry the film.
They were going to when it was to be a two-parter, but they scrapped those plans and thus Darkseid was nixed outside of Steppenwolf referencing him once. I think it was in part due to the course correction and since Darkseid closely resembles Thanos.
Old 11-17-17, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
I did not see an entire Cavill CGI face at all, at any point. I did look at his lip during the race scene but nothing else stood out for me.

Yeah Aquaman sitting on the lasso was great.
Agree on both, the lasso joke was great but also offered insight into Aquaman's character (beyond just thinking Diana was hot).

On Cavill, I was intently looking for the CGI as well and didn't notice anything off...

Also, 16 Scenes That Didn't Make the Cut

https://heroichollywood.com/justice-...er-scenes-cut/

Last edited by TheMovieman; 11-18-17 at 12:12 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

As I said, it wasn't just the mustache removal. I noticed it from the first frames of the cell video. It looked like a floating head and I wondered why the words were not matching the mouth movements.
Old 11-18-17, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Yeah he looked really fucking weird in that cell phone video.
Old 11-18-17, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

As I said, it wasn't just the mustache removal. I noticed it from the first frames of the cell video. It looked like a floating head and I wondered why the words were not matching the mouth movements.
Is that John Travolta?
Old 11-18-17, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw it again last night, still great. Theater was about 80% full. Flash comedy bits got the most reaction. Applause at the end but most of the theater left when the credits started and missed the extra scenes.
Old 11-18-17, 07:20 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 681 Likes on 457 Posts

Personal biases: lifelong DC completist and JLA fanatic, loved the Wonder Woman movie, dislike Marvel comics by comparison, while admitting their movies are great.
Saw Justice League last night and really enjoyed it, but it'd be near the bottom if I had to compare it to the MCU films. A movie with these characters should rock my world, but it wasn't quite there.
Old 11-18-17, 10:18 AM
Banned

Cyborg had a major role here, which I think many casual moviegoers will find confusing (especially the end where he seemed to have power-levels comparable with Superman). Much of the movie didn't make much sense.

In the movie the GL Corp existed 5000 years ago (I know it fits better for the franchise than having the Manhunters involved). They also referenced the "Old Gods" a few times (we know Diana is a goddess, sister of Ares)- I wish they would have explored this a bit more. This being the case it would have been a good opportunity to have Shazam (either the wizard or Billy) show up. They could have gone a million different directions but the movie just seems poorly edited and incomplete.

Not sure where they're going with the Aquaman solo movie after this. A movie with Black Manta as the villain just seems like it won't cut it at this point.

Last edited by Eric F; 11-18-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

'Justice League' Is A Box Office Disappointment With $39M Friday

To quote one of my favorite Sarah McLachlan songs, hold on, hold on to yourself. For this is gonna hurt like hell.

Never did I imagine a situation in all these years where the eventual Justice League movie would snag a domestic opening weekend of less than $100 million. In a world where Suicide Squad snagged a $133m debut and Deadpool earned $132m in its Fri-Sun debut, it is almost beyond comprehension that Justice League, a movie that combines a well-liked Batman and a beloved Wonder Woman with The Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg and (spoiler?) Superman would sell about as many tickets as the R-rated, 2D Logan. But here we are, with a $38.8m Friday for the Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. release. As the kids say, I can’t even…

For most movies, a $38.8 million opening day, including $4.5m in IMAX alone, would be terrific (back in 2002, Spider-Man set a new record with a $39m opening day). But that’s just above the $38m Friday of Wonder Woman and way below the $46m opening day of Thor: Ragnarok, the $65m opening day of Suicide Squad, the $56m opening day of Man of Steel and the $81m Friday for Batman v Superman. Yes, the hope is that the film will be less frontloaded than Dawn of Justice, but we could very well be looking at a Justice League movie that opens with just $80m for the weekend.

Even legs like Wonder Woman (which had a better weekend multiplier than any prior DC Films or MCU movie) gets this movie to “just” $105 million, or about what Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II earned ($92m in 2011/$103m adjusted) on its first day. But if it otherwise plays like a DC Films offering, then it’s a $75-$85m debut weekend. For some rather grim perspective, we may see a situation where Justice League makes less on opening weekend than Batman v Superman and the first two Avengers films made in their respective opening days.

And even if it gets to $90 million (or over/under the $92m opening day of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part II) and thus avoids that embarrassment, the fact that it has yet to show any real legs this weekend doesn’t paint a healthy long-term picture. To wit, Wonder Woman made 29% of its $38m Friday via Thursday previews, Suicide Squad earned 30% of its $65m Friday on Thursday, while Batman v Superman earned 34% of its $81m Friday via previews. Justice League, despite a mere $13m Thursday, made 33% of its Friday money on Thursday, which is at least better than Man of Steel ($21m on Thursday for a $56m Friday).

Now the film is a kid-friendly good time and it’s quite possible that the film may pick up steam via matinees, but A) that’s not a guarantee and B) Wonder is turning out to be a pretty brutal bit of competition. But before you blame that Julia Roberts/Owen Wilson drama, do note that this is the same weekend where, in 2009, The Blind Side opened with $33 million while The Twilight Saga: New Moon snagged $142m in its Fri-Sun debut.

Speaking of Twilight, that first 2D Twilight opened in 2008 on this very weekend with $69 million, which would be around $86m adjusted for inflation and sans 3D or IMAX. That means, when all is said and done, unless it kicks butt today and tomorrow, then Justice League may well sell fewer tickets than the first Twilight did. Once again, if this continues, then Twilight will have sold more tickets over opening weekend than Justice League.

Now WB can only hope that the film has legs comparable to that first Twilight and the Hunger Games sequels, as opposed to the massively frontloaded (over/under 2x) Twilight Saga sequels. Otherwise, Justice League will be a box office crisis of infinite proportions. As shocking as this seems, and I dared not presume things would go this badly, it is an almost natural end-result of the last four years of the DC Films franchise.

Folks were mezzo on Man of Steel, so WB gave us Batman v Superman. Folks were really dissatisfied with Batman v Superman, so Suicide Squad got a new coat of humor/upworthy paint and critics cried foul. Now we have Justice League, which is a direct sequel to Batman v Superman, with the same director no less. Even if we argue that Justice League is A) a better film or B) more of what the general audiences wanted from their superhero movies, you can make the case that audiences were twice bitten and three-times shy.

So yeah, longtime readers will understand that, like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (a superior sequel to a hype-driven smash that flopped because folks didn’t like the first one), Justice League got itself Tomb Raider Trapped. Justice League may have been better or more commercial than Batman v Superman, but so many were turned off by that hype-driven 2016 mega-grosser ($873 million worldwide) that they opted out of a return engagement.

And you better believe that things may have been even worse had Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman not turned everyone into huge fans of Gal Gadot’s Wonder Woman, even if that “added value element” clearly wasn’t enough. Assuming it gets to aorund $93 million for the weekend, it will have the same opening weekend downturn from Batman v Superman as did Divergent: Allegiant ($29m) from Divergent: Insurgent ($$52m).

Now a disclaimer before I get too grim. It is entirely possible that Justice League pulls a Kong: Skull Island this weekend and gets over $118 million for the frame, although we can debate to what extent that will be a victory for a movie like this. Moreover, with a decent B+ Cinemascore, it is also possible that the holiday legs will still give the film a multiplier closer to Catching Fire than New Moon, and if it does well overseas (it has $70.7m overseas thus far for a $109.5m global cume), then a $300m domestic total is a decent result.

But Wonder and Coco are going to chip away at that kid demo and we don't yet know if general audiences (as opposed to hardcore fans) have shown up or will show up. WB will hope for Fantastic Beasts legs ($232m from a $74.4m debut), which would be fantastic indeed. Yet, fair or not, it just as likely that it snags a $95 million weekend and (like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part I) a 2.35x multiplier for what would be a $220m domestic total.

Yeah, this isn’t the triumphant culmination of DC Film’s grand franchise plans that they presumably expected back in October of 2014 when they slated a bunch of upcoming movies. And what I wrote in April of 2014 still applies: Warner Bros. didn’t really need a full-fledged DC Comics cinematic universe, and now they may wish they didn’t bother with one.

In terms of expectations, demands and reactions versus results, Justice League may (emphasis on "may") be the biggest-grossing "flop" of all time. Justice League will end an otherwise fine year on an awkward note and risk overshadowing several very year successes. And, I would argue, for Justice League to overshadow It, Wonder Woman, Dunkirk and Kong: Skull Island would be a grave Injustice.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#51fef4c74a84

Tis a bomb. In retrospect I think BVS: Ultimate Cut is a much better film than JL. Here's hoping that a Ultimate Cut can save this one. Otherwise they're just going to make Wonder Woman and possibly Batman films from here on out.
Old 11-18-17, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,164 Likes on 908 Posts

Not trying to rub it in but that’s what you get when you go into a film like this with little build and of the films you’ve built up the universe with three weren’t very well received. This movie should have been huge. I haven’t seen it yet but it sounds decent enough. The problem is it’s too little too late and honestly decent shouldn’t have been the aim for a film like this. I hope to check it out later today.
Old 11-18-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There were lots of signs mourning Superman at the beginning of the film, but there were none celebrating his resurrection at the end. There wasn't even a news bulletin or headline. I don't understand that in a franchise where the world worshiped him like a savior. Toward the end of the movie, we saw Kal-El in his usual Clark Kent attire. If he's supposed to be Kent again, how does he explain Kent's return from the dead? Did he get his job back at the Daily Planet? If so, you'd think Perry White and his fellow reporters would find it too much of a coincidence that Kent showed up alive at the same time as Superman.

I appreciate that this movie had more humor than MOS and BVS, but unfortunately a lot of the jokes were shown in the trailers and commercials. I wish DC could find a way to balance CG effects and real world locations because many of the outdoor scenes in this flick (and in MOS and BVS) look like they were filmed indoors in front of green screens. And why do these movies always have to look so dark? Speaking of CGI, Steppenwolf looked like a video game character because his mouth didn't move in sync with his words, and there were moments with Cavill's face that didn't look right either. They should have just used a big actor to play Steppenwolf. Not sure why he needed to be CG.

Aside from selling more action figures, why did we need Aquaman in this movie when none of the battles took place underwater? Bruce Wayne was interested in knowing if Arthur Curry could talk to fish so the team could ramp up their numbers, but in the end the 6 superheroes were enough to defeat Steppenwolf. No other fish people were needed. In fact, the other members of the league probably didn't even need Aquaman's help to win the battle.

Weren't there rumors that Batgirl (or her alter ego) was supposed to appear in this movie? Did I miss her or did the plans change? I did notice Elfman's Batman theme and Williams' Superman theme. Wish they had been featured more prominently.

Overall, not a bad film but still disappointing.
Old 11-18-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There were lots of signs mourning Superman at the beginning of the film, but there were none celebrating his resurrection at the end. There wasn't even a news bulletin or headline. I don't understand that in a franchise where the world worshiped him like a savior. Toward the end of the movie, we saw Kal-El in his usual Clark Kent attire. If he's supposed to be Kent again, how does he explain Kent's return from the dead? Did he get his job back at the Daily Planet? If so, you'd think Perry White and his fellow reporters would find it too much of a coincidence that Kent showed up alive at the same time as Superman.

Yeah, I wondered where everyone went. At least in BVS you had tons of secondary characters including Holly Hunter drinking piss tea. Oh, and was JK Simmons supposed to do anything in this film? He was in it for maybe 2 minutes if that.

Frankly, BVS is the better film if we get down to it. Hell the TC cut of BVS is a better film than JL.
Old 11-18-17, 11:38 AM
Banned

The movie seems like it has lots of last minute recuts. That's the only way I can make sense of the disjointed and incomplete plotlines.
Old 11-18-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

'Justice League' Is A Box Office Disappointment With $39M Friday

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#51fef4c74a84

Tis a bomb. In retrospect I think BVS: Ultimate Cut is a much better film than JL. Here's hoping that a Ultimate Cut can save this one. Otherwise they're just going to make Wonder Woman and possibly Batman films from here on out.
I'm on the other side when it comes to the predictions on this movie. With Thanksgiving next week and solid word of mouth I think this will actually do decently. I also think it'll do a good deal more than $93m this weekend when all is said and done.

But we'll see. It has currently been corrected up to $96m again, still low but better.
Old 11-18-17, 12:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

No way word of mouth results in an increase in traffic next week. And word of mouth at Disneyland from some people in line said it was less than spectacular. Coco will kill it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.