Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 01-06-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Thanos was hardly developed prior, at least enough that Infinity War is somehow a big swerve; a couple seconds in an end credits sequence of the first Avengers, and then a few minutes in Guardians of the Galaxy as a background character where the viewer only knows he's using Ronan to get the Power gem and that he's Nebula and Gamora's father.
But he did refer to Gamora as his favorite daughter, and in GOTG2 the dialogue and fight between Gamora and Nebula referenced his preference for Gamora.

True, his actual plan was comlpetely untouched until Infinity War, but the characters who knew about him at all (Guardians, mostly) were largely dealing with other crises. You might think that Asgardians would have noticed a dude rolling around the cosmos wiping out half the population on scores of worlds, but I guess it wasn't their concern somehow.

And to try to veer back on topic, nothing in any of the Snyder-verse has this sort of depth or backstory, no matter how cursory.
Old 01-07-19, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Eh, as much as I hate Man of Steel, it did have the seeds of some interesting stuff with Zod, Genetically engineered to put the survival of his race above all else, it basically forced him to throw a coup, kill his best friend, and eventually value the codex above all else. It also gave him a level of bigotry to non Kryptonian (and tainted Kryptonian) beings that made him a racist (speciest?) and a natural villain.

Like all that was in there somewhere, but definitely not highlighted in the movie at all.
Old 01-07-19, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
OK, I finally got around to watching this today, and color me pleasantly surprised.

Justice League is a good movie! Good enough, in fact, that I wish that it were getting a sequel with the same cast. Yes, it IS a bit derivative of The Avengers with a bit of Thor The Dark World thrown in, but it's a good, solid, FUN comic book movie. I really liked Ben Affleck as Bruce/Batman, and I already knew I loved Henry Cavill as Clark/Superman. Gal Gadot is awesome as Diana/Wonder Woman, too. They've got a great core there. Or they had one. If Affleck and Cavill are out then WB/DC may have shot themselves in the foot.

The visuals are still darker than Marvel by a longshot (it's like The Avengers through a Dark World lens), but I didn't mind that so much in this one. Where Man of Steel was overblown, this one felt right, given the bad guy and his army. I thought the balance of dark drama and humor was handled well, too.

I'm a huge Marvel fanboy (well, middle aged fanman), but I've got to give credit where credit is due - Justice League is a good movie.

It's a shame that WB/DC just can't get their act together. They were heading in the right direction with Wonder Woman and Justice League (and, from what I understand, Aquaman), so why blow up this Justice League cast?
I know someone who will disagree
but yeah I liked JL it was all around fun for me too
Old 01-07-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

With Cavill and (possibly) Affleck Out, that’s just another nail in the DC coffin.
Aquaman and $1 billion dollars will disagree.
Old 01-07-19, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

And to try to veer back on topic, nothing in any of the Snyder-verse has this sort of depth or backstory, no matter how cursory.
Tell me what you need explained or backstoried to you.

Old 03-01-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

If you're in Pasadena, this is going down:

Zack Snyder: The Director's Cuts - ArtCenter College of Design

It's $100 per ticket and panel and dinner are included.

*I'm sure folks will ask about his "director's cut" of Justice League.
Old 03-01-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

*I'm sure folks will ask about his "director's cut" of Justice League.
Do you suppose his insistence there is no Snyder version of Justice League will satisfy anyone?
Old 03-01-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

How is there a "Snyder Cut" as so many of these nerds think there is?

He left Justice League shortly after principal photography wrapped. Lots of the material he shot never went through post production.
Old 03-01-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

A recent Fatman on Batman detailed the Snyder Cut. It was definitely meant to end on a cliffhanger and featured Green Lantern. They never cast an actor for the character though.
Old 03-02-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
A recent Fatman on Batman detailed the Snyder Cut. It was definitely meant to end on a cliffhanger and featured Green Lantern. They never cast an actor for the character though.

Yeah, that scene in the Batcave where Alfred says "I hope you're not too late" was never Superman - it was GL.
Old 03-02-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Dude. It’s Fatman Beyond.
Old 03-25-19, 08:40 AM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Many fans are still wondering what actually happened with Justice League and the future of the DC Comics movies that never panned out. After Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice received a mixed critical response, Warner Bros. Pictures made major changes to their big followup and caused a split from original director Zack Snyder.

During a live Q&A with fans after a screening of Batman v Superman, Snyder was asked very bluntly by a fan, "What the hell happened?" And the director was surprisingly candid about the changes he had to make to Justice League because of studio interference.

"That's a good question," Snyder responded, prompting the audience to laugh. Snyder addressed the "vocal minority" that didn't like Batman v Superman, and the effect it had on Justice League from studio interference.

"The original Justice League that Chris [Terrio] and I wrote, we didn't even shoot... The actual idea, the hard, hard idea, the scary idea, we never filmed because the studio was like 'That's crazy,'" Snyder said, adding that he and his collaborators were insecure because of the reaction to Batman v Superman.

"It's a long story," Snyder added. "The truth is that, the Knightmare sequence in this movie was always my idea that all of that would eventually be explained ... and that we would end up in the distance future, where Darkseid has taken over Earth and where Superman has succumbed to the Anti-Life [Equation] ... There was a few members of the Justice League that had survived in that world, that they were fighting. Batman broke a pact with Cyborg because something happened... They were working on an equation to jump Flash back to tell Bruce..."

Snyder is referring to the team in Batman v Superman where the Flash tells Batman that "Lois is the key," which is never referenced in Justice League. And the director said that Warner Bros. was on board for the overall story he wanted to tell, but "the details of how and why" the Justice League broke up made them nervous and needed to be changed.

Then Snyder addressed his post-credits scene that was cut from the movie, and would have revealed the League's struggle against Darkseid was far from over.

"The Justice League teaser that wasn't in the movie, apparently, I guess, where Wonder Woman says, it's this line where Bruce says 'I was right here when Barry Allen came to me and he said Lois Lane is the key,' and she says 'She is, to Superman. Every heart has one.' And he goes, 'I think it's something more, something darker.'"

Snyder explained that if Lois died, Superman would succumb to the Anti-Life Equation.

"If Superman knew that somehow it was Bruce's responsibility to protect Lois, he would have been mad at him in [Batman v Superman]. So that's why he says 'She was my world, and you took her from me.'"

Snyder then explains that Cyborg would have transported the Flash back in time, changing the original plan from what we see in Batman v Superman. Instead, Barry Allen would attempt to prevent Lois Lane's murder at the hands of Darkseid, who had just Boom Tubed into the Batcave.

This reveal sent fans into a frenzy, but unfortunately, it's all Snyder revealed about his plans for the Justice League sequel.
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/03/25/...cene-revealed/
Old 03-25-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,150 Likes on 900 Posts

I think some of that sounds interesting, but based on how the films he directed turned out I feel like his true version of Justice League would probably have been crap. Snyder is good at visuals and has some decent ideas, but I don’t think he knows how to put them to film very well. He’d probably be a good collaborator working alongside a better director than an actual director.
Old 03-25-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

At this point I wish Snyder would stop talking about it all. It's over, it's dead.
Old 03-25-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
At this point I wish Snyder would stop talking about it all. It's over, it's dead.
In fairness to him there’s been that devoted group of fans who really want to see the Snyder cut released. This should put that to rest having him tell people that his true vision was never even filmed.
Old 03-26-19, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

"That's a good question," Snyder responded, prompting the audience to laugh. Snyder addressed the "vocal minority" that didn't like Batman v Superman, and the effect it had on Justice League from studio interference.

Don’t give us this “vocal minority ruined it all” bullshit excuse. I’m one who actually enjoyed BvS to an extent and will defend it from time to time but even I can admit it’s a severely flawed movie (regardless of what could have been in future films). Snyder needs to realize that he had all the right pieces to make a good movie and he just didn’t.
Old 03-26-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think some of that sounds interesting, but based on how the films he directed turned out I feel like his true version of Justice League would probably have been crap. Snyder is good at visuals and has some decent ideas, but I don’t think he knows how to put them to film very well. He’d probably be a good collaborator working alongside a better director than an actual director.
I been saying that for years. The guy can only direct short stories but a full 2 hour movie is too much for him

Don’t give us this “vocal minority ruined it all” bullshit excuse. I’m one who actually enjoyed BvS to an extent and will defend it from time to time but even I can admit it’s a severely flawed movie (regardless of what could have been in future films). Snyder needs to realize that he had all the right pieces to make a good movie and he just didn’t.
Ditto. he had millions thrown at him, a great cast, a lot of marketing spent on his films. If the film failed, its all on him and his writers
Old 03-26-19, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

TBH I wouldn't mind seeing Snyder's vision published in graphic novel form.
Old 03-26-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

I agree about BvS. Some parts are very good, but it was deeply flawed.

My biggest bitch with the DCEU is that they didn’t spend enough time world building, and just jumped right into the universe running. You do not kill Superman in your second cinematic universe movie. Good god, you save that shot for “phase 3” or whatever you’re calling it.

They also needed to establish more characters in their own films before jumping into Justice League. They needed to introduce three new characters there, and that was too many.

Warners wanted to create their version of the MCU, but didn’t want to do any of the heavy lifting that was necessary to build it, or take risks on new properties.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 03-26-19 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-19, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They needed to introduce three new characters there, and that was too many.
No they didn't. Those characters were introduced in a trailer in the middle of the third act an email from Wonder Woman in BvS.

What more do you want?
Old 03-26-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I agree about BvS. Some parts are very good, but it was seeply flawed.

My biggest bitch with the DCEU is that they didn’t spend enough time world building, and just jumped right into the universe running. You do not kill Superman in your second cinematic universe movie. Good god, you save that shot for “phase 3” or whatever you’re calling it.

They also needed to establish more characters in their own films before jumping into Justice League. They needed to introduce three new characters there, and that was too many.

Warners wanted to create their version of the MCU, but didn’t want to do any of the heavy lifting that was necessary to build it, or take risks on new properties.
A lot of this sums up why I didn't like the DCEU. We were just thrown in and basically expected to just accept a lot of things about it, even though a lot of it was question raising or done in ways fans would object to. That's a big reason why it didn't work in my opinion and this is coming from someone who's read quite a bit of comics and has seen the characters in various forms. On film that just doesn't gel.
Old 03-26-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

So basically the plan was
Movie 1: introduce Superman
Movie 2: Superman fights Batman, Batman gets a post apocalyptic dream and Flash warns him about Lois, Superman dies
Movie 3: Superman comes back to fight the big bad
Movie 4: Superman bad

Yeah, that's a big nope from me. I mean I think everyone and their mother knew what was going on when Flash came back to warn about Lois, and could predict that her death would turn him to Darkseid's side. Mainly because they did that exact same storyline in a videogame (Injustice), and also in Superman the Animated Series, and also in the Justice League cartoon, and in countless elseworlds. But I realize that it was just a short synopsis, but it makes no sense. Future Cyborg sends Flash back in time to warn that Lois is the key. Then future Cyborg sends Flash back in time again to save Lois. What?

Also from his director's cut screening, talking about Batman killing
Warning for language:
https://streamable.com/mcnuy

It's a cool point of view to be like "my heroes are still innocent" you know, my heroes didn't F'ing you know, lie to America, my heroes didn't you know embezzle money from their corp..., my heroes didn't F'ing you know, commit any atrocities. I'm like, that's cool, but you're living in an F'ing dream world, okay?
He also says Watchmen talks about comic books like this movie (BvS) talks about comic book movies. They should've just made him in charge of an Injustice movie or something.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-26-19 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
TBH I wouldn't mind seeing Snyder's vision published in graphic novel form.
I would probably pick up a graphic novel of hi version just for curiosity. I think his bridges at WB are pretty well burnt though.
Old 03-26-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

How about this...

in “phase 3” of the DCEU:

Man of Steel 3 —Superman vs Doomsday, Death of Superman

Green Lantern Corps 3: Darkest Night —Superman (and other deceased heros and villains) comes back from the dead as a Black Lantern

Jack Kirby’s New Gods — introduces the New Gods, gives backstory on Darkseid

Justice League 3 — Justice League battles Darkseid, start to win, but in the end are defeated by a surprise appearance by Black Lantern Superman

Justice League 4 — Darkseid takes over Earth, turns it into New Apokolips, JL regroups, Superman returns to the good guys, JL, Superman, and New Gods defeat Darkseid
Old 03-26-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fujishig
So basically the plan was
Movie 1: introduce Superman
Movie 2: Superman fights Batman, Batman gets a post apocalyptic dream and Flash warns him about Lois, Superman dies
Movie 3: Superman comes back to fight the big bad
Movie 4: Superman bad

Yeah, that's a big nope from me. I mean I think everyone and their mother knew what was going on when Flash came back to warn about Lois, and could predict that her death would turn him to Darkseid's side. Mainly because they did that exact same storyline in a videogame (Injustice), and also in Superman the Animated Series, and also in the Justice League cartoon, and in countless elseworlds. But I realize that it was just a short synopsis, but it makes no sense. Future Cyborg sends Flash back in time to warn that Lois is the key. Then future Cyborg sends Flash back in time again to save Lois. What?

Also from his director's cut screening, talking about Batman killing
Warning for language:
https://streamable.com/mcnuy

He also says Watchmen talks about comic books like this movie (BvS) talks about comic book movies. They should've just made him in charge of an Injustice movie or something.
I have to laugh at him saying people upset that Batman was a killer are living in a dream world when we're talking about a movie that's about a guy dressed as a bat getting into a fist fight with an invincible flying alien that shoots laser-beams from his eyes.

That said, as truly awful as BvS I think I would have much rather preferred Snyder's version of Justice League than the Frankenstein'd shit that Whedon gave us. At least it would have looked interesting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.