Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

A little interest + positive wom on social media goes surprisingly far these days. Curious to see how it plays out. I hope Coco does well, the positive comparisons to Spirited Away have me stoked.
Old 11-18-17, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's as if they took the whole criticism of "too much fall out in the city" from superman and bvs and decided to have it be very little effect on the world. which goes against the whole "world threat" that they build up. Snyder didn't have much of a collateral count here so whedon put in the russian family... and I can't say I gave much of a shit about them.

But yeah, nothing from the public about Superman.. it's almost as if the on screen folks were like the movie goers... in that they were over it.
Old 11-18-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Jesus, how does a movie like this (one with so many interesting characters, actors, director, writers, etc) end up being so fucking boring?
Old 11-18-17, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Warner Bros. has severely fucked over the DCCU. Putting their faith in the wrong storytellers; knee-jerk reactions to criticism; indecisiveness; and over-compensation when trying to right the ship has damned the DCCU.

Maybe they can shell out billions and clone Kevin Feige to do this right.
Old 11-18-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Yeah, between Coco coming next week and Thor: Ragnarok still going strong I don’t see this gaining too much traction.
Old 11-18-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I'd give Geoff Johns time, JL was in production literally a week after BvS was released. Johns didn't get his promotion until something like July or August of 2016. Also, he co-scripted Wonder Woman along with Jenkins (neither got the credit) and is also working on WW2.

Although I liked the film, and I've said this before, hopefully Warner just uses this as a way to wipe their hands clean of the Snyder era of DC and move on. He (Snyder) has a producer credit on Aquaman but his involvement is done.
Old 11-18-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Jesus, how does a movie like this (one with so many interesting characters, actors, director, writers, etc) end up being so fucking boring?
To be honest, that was my takeaway after seeing it this morning, as well. It really felt like a by-the-numbers film, with little that we haven't seen, a relatively dour tone despite some quips, and camaraderie that often felt unearned, though this could be a result of the film being cut down too far. And they somehow managed to come up with a villain even less developed than the ones from Marvel films.
Old 11-18-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I really really liked Man of Steel but I think the success of that movie let the reigns and guidance loose with Snyder and BvS suffered gravely for it. Man of Steel had a lot of great things that could have been built on but I think Snyder and WB got in over their heads trying to catchup to Marvel.

Wonder Woman was good but overhyped and Justice League is good but bashed due to BvS. I really think the thing that makes it work is the score, it sounds like a superhero movie and that helps alleviate the issues I would have had with the movie if it had that industrial soundtrack like BvS.

I hope that WB takes its mulligan on this movie and continues on the Johns/Jenkins/Whedon path.
Old 11-18-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t know, WB stands to have a huge flop on their hands. They sunk way too much into this film and it’s probably going to hurt pretty bad. I’m curious what their next course of action will be. Granted it’s early but the numbers are down substantially compared to Batman V Superman which is the closest comparison to a film like this. The fact that all their big guns put together couldn’t pull in better numbers has to be a hard blow to take.

I have to wonder if Snyder’s career is dead after this. Who’s going to want to take a chance on a film with his name on it going forward? Hell even Whedon might take somewhat of a hit given that it sounds like a good chunk of the film is his. Granted he had to come in and patch things together but still. I wonder if this makes WB reconsider their Batgirl movie he was set to helm.
Old 11-18-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca

I hope that WB takes its mulligan on this movie and continues on the Johns/Jenkins/Whedon path.
That's what I see happening. The Snyder Trilogy is done, Aquaman is already in the can.

Take what worked and just go from here.
Old 11-18-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Warner Bros. has severely fucked over the DCCU. Putting their faith in the wrong storytellers; knee-jerk reactions to criticism; indecisiveness; and over-compensation when trying to right the ship has damned the DCCU.

I don't even think Snyder was a wrong choice for directing these -- hell, Chris Nolan picked him to spearhead the universe. It's the suits that don't seem to invest in good scripts. WB has a sense of since it's Superman/Batman, etc., just make whatever and the masses will come. Well, no, not anymore. Also, stop trying to chase that fucking Marvel dragon. They have twice the amount of time invested in their MCU than DC has in theirs.
Old 11-18-17, 02:08 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

My screening was sold out. It was a smaller theatre with reserved seating. I saw Lady Bird today too (different location). There were more people seeing that.
Old 11-18-17, 02:09 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't even think Snyder was a wrong choice for directing these -- hell, Chris Nolan picked him to spearhead the universe. It's the suits that don't seem to invest in good scripts. WB has a sense of since it's Superman/Batman, etc., just make whatever and the masses will come. Well, no, not anymore. Also, stop trying to chase that fucking Marvel dragon. They have twice the amount of time invested in their MCU than DC has in theirs.
I very much agree with a lot of this.
Old 11-18-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, honestly Snyder gets a lot of hate for these films but truth be told I place the blame more on the WB suits. I feel like they wanted to rush to make these films happen to try and catch Marvel and since they already had Snyder who was given Nolan’s approval for Man of Steel (I don’t think it was for the DCEU as a whole as that wasn’t even a thing until like three years later) appointed him to take the reigns for the rest of the universe. Snyder isn’t the greatest filmmaker but it doesn’t seem like the people above him did much to keep him in check or if they did it was kind of too late.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-18-17 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-18-17, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I have been thinking about this and wonder if WB will give up on trying to recreate Marvels Universe and just go back to occasional stand alone superhero films. Chasing Marvels connected universe is not working and WB has other properties (such as Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts) that will make them gobs of money without having to pour so much good money after bad.

Sure they will make Wonder Woman 2 but standalone Flash/Aquaman films may be scrapped as these are films that should have been made pre Justice League but those horses have already left the barn. They are spending far too much manpower, time, and money to make films that will be slightly profitable if they hit 800 million, yeah...they need to cut their loses and focus on other IP.

This is a debacle for WB...and I thought the hit that the folks behind Geostorm took was nasty, but I suspect this is only a few degrees less painful for Warner Brothers.
Old 11-18-17, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Aquaman is in the can so it’s happening. I’m sure we’ll get Wonder Woman 2 and a Batman film. I imagine everything else is up in the air for a while.
Old 11-18-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I have been thinking about this and wonder if WB will give up on trying to recreate Marvels Universe and just go back to occasional stand alone superhero films.
I thought I read that was the plan moving forward, just focusing on solo movies with only very minor connections to the overall universe (meaning you won't see the others making cameos, maybe even not being mentioned). I mean, Wonder Woman 2 is taking place in the 1980s (pre-JL) and in all likelihood The Batman will be the same.

Aquaman seems self-contained and will take place both pre and post-JL since we see his origin and get his mother, the Queen (played by Nicole Kidman), who seems to be dead during the events of JL, at least that's how I took his conversation with Mera.

And then after developing some of these solo movies, and truly want to see a Deathstroke movie, maybe then a team-up movie with The Secret Society followed by JL2. But they do need to take their time and FUCKING WARNER STOPPING WITH THESE RUNNING TIME MANDATES!!! God's sake that pisses me off.
Old 11-18-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah Aquaman is coming out. I wonder about a solo Flash? He seems to be well received in Justice League.
Old 11-18-17, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Well Aquaman is in the can so it’s happening. I’m sure we’ll get Wonder Woman 2 and a Batman film. I imagine everything else is up in the air for a while.
Given how much Suicide Squad made and with Gavin O'Connor being at the helm, I think that one will happen especially since they're actually taking their time with a script and production won't begin until Fall 2018 at the earliest.
Old 11-18-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stingermck
Yeah Aquaman is coming out. I wonder about a solo Flash? He seems to be well received in Justice League.
Flashpoint needs to happen. Could be a special film with the right director... and little studio interference, but I won't hold my breath on that.
Old 11-18-17, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If Flash is done I think it would be smart to not jump straight into Flashpoint. That idea should be nixed. It sounds like a good idea on paper but probably would be more costly because it would deal with an ensemble and could potentially be another flop.
Old 11-18-17, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also keep in mind Aquaman is the only DC film in 2018. This may be a benefit to slow things down and re-calibrate.
Old 11-18-17, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
If Flash is done I think it would be smart to not jump straight into Flashpoint. That idea should be nixed. It sounds like a good idea on paper but probably would be more costly because it would deal with an ensemble and could potentially be another flop.
Well, the story would be scaled down from the comic book and mainly focus on The Flash trying to correct the timeline with the help of Thomas Wayne. They don't need or should go into the war between the Atlanteans and Amazonians given how dark Wonder Woman gets (she lobs off Mera's head and sends it to Aquaman for god's sake).
Old 11-18-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah im starting to think Flash point would be better down the line. There would be more payoff after we see the characters some more. Like if Marvel did Civil War earlier.

Also if JL does end up under performing over all (Not talking about the weekend, but overall) Affleck will walk.
Old 11-18-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

They don't even have a script they like for Flash yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.