Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.56%
4.44%
27.78%
14.44%
21.11%
15.56%
5.56%
1.11%
1.11%
0%
1.11%
What are you high?
2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Threadt

Okay so I just saw it. I’m very pleasantly surprised. Liked it quite a lot. I think most of what I didn’t like are nitpicks.

What I liked:
Affleck. God I wish that he’d stay on board. He embodies Batman from the comics so well. The opening scene was amazing and made me wish I could just be watching an entire Affleck Batman film. The suit looked good at the beginning but I didn’t care for the tactical suit at the end. I also love the interaction between Alfred and Batman plus the rest of the team.

Gal Gadot I honestly feel is at her best as Wonder Woman here. I liked her more in this than I did in her solo film.

The same can also be said for Henry Cavill as Superman. Easily his best performance as the character.

Aquaman I liked overall. Honestly I thought I was going to like him more but he felt underdeveloped. That’s one of the biggest issues for me with not only him but other characters. He was cool but I feel like we needed to see more of him in his element beforehand.

The soundtrack is good as well. One of Elfman’s better in a while. My only nitpick is I wish we could have gotten the classic themes full blown a couple times rather than the teases.

Now the dislikes:
Steppenwolf. Terrible. Just not an interesting or good villain at all. The blandest of the bland villains.

The story is a complete mess. Luckily the film can stand strong because of the character moments but I could barely tell what the story is supposed to be.

Barry got annoying to me in parts. I didn’t dislike him as much as I expected to from the trailers but he didn’t feel like The Flash that I know in ways. This is more in the middle than a dislike but I lean towards not being a huge fan. Again like Aquaman I feel like he needed more development.

Cyborg was kind of boring like I expected. He just felt like the weak link. Also same story as Aquaman and Flash. I’m not interested enough in a solo film for the character but I think if the others were introduced besides him prior to this film he could have been a new addition in this and given a bit more focus.

J.K. Simmons as Gordon I’m not sold on. Granted we don’t see a ton of him but I couldn’t shake the feeling that he reminded me of his J. Jonah Jameson role in some ways. Oldman is still the best Gordon in my book.

Overall there’s more to like in this film than to dislike. It’s not perfect but it’s not bad either. I think it’s the most enjoyable of the DCEU films thus far.

Regarding the end scenes:
Spoiler:
The scene with The Flash and Superman is good. Like seeing a more light hearted Superman.

Eisenberg as Lex irritated me for his brief scene, however Deathstroke was badass. Despite not thinking he’d be a good Batman villain previously for the solo film I want to see him now.
Old 11-19-17, 12:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Justice League (Snyder, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I wish I was kidding. Liefeld can't draw worth shit. Snyder can actually direct. Whether you like his films or not is something else. We can go through his filmography and Snyder is more than competent. Now if you just don't like the guy then that's also something else. Script is always the first thing and if the WB suits were breathing down peoples necks, which they were, then that's who I fucking blame.
He can’t direct actors, and he doesn’t know what makes a story work. 300 was only good because of the visuals and the fact that it was all written out for him in advance. Watchmen was a carbon copy of the comic, but Snyder at no point understood the story and themes Moore had laid out. It’s a hollow shell of a film.

That leaves what, Dawn of the Dead? A shitty remake. The CGI owl movie? Completely generic. Sucker Punch? Might as well call that one “Watch Snyder jerk it to underage looking girls”. BvS was an absolute mess, striking the wrong tone, getting hamfisted performances from good actors (except the few Batman scenes that by all accounts Affleck actually directed), telling a story that was at best incoherent (in the theatrical cut) and at worst insultingly stupid (in the extended cut), and don’t get me started on the whole “Martha” thing.

The man is a straight up hack. The only difference between Snyder and Uwe Boll is that Boll knows his movies are shit.
Old 11-19-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
He can’t direct actors, and he doesn’t know what makes a story work. 300 was only good because of the visuals and the fact that it was all written out for him in advance. Watchmen was a carbon copy of the comic, but Snyder at no point understood the story and themes Moore had laid out. It’s a hollow shell of a film.

That leaves what, Dawn of the Dead? A shitty remake. The CGI owl movie? Completely generic. Sucker Punch? Might as well call that one “Watch Snyder jerk it to underage looking girls”. BvS was an absolute mess, striking the wrong tone, getting hamfisted performances from good actors (except the few Batman scenes that by all accounts Affleck actually directed), telling a story that was at best incoherent (in the theatrical cut) and at worst insultingly stupid (in the extended cut), and don’t get me started on the whole “Martha” thing.

The man is a straight up hack. The only difference between Snyder and Uwe Boll is that Boll knows his movies are shit.
Old 11-19-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Caught this Thursday night. Theater was sold out and crowd was into it so it was overall a pleasant experience.

My thoughts are that the movie was fast and fun, a bit too fast in all honesty. It reminded me of the cartoon movies made in the 80s to sell toys that introduced a lot of characters with minimal backstory to get right to the action. Good for the nostalgia in me, but not too good for the movie. But hey, I just wanted some entertainment and it delivered. I'm glad that they finally decided to lighten the mood a bit with these movies.

Good:

-It's pretty dang obvious where Whedon made his mark. I'm certain the first post credits scene was his doing. It was all a welcome change.

-Superman finally seeming like Superman.

-Flash was great.

-Liked Aquaman

Bad:

-WAY too much CG

-Steppenwolf shouldn't have been the main villain. Too cookie cutter and was a bit too comic book/cartoonish, even for a movie of this genre. Was DarkSeid too much to ask for in a role that was pretty interchangeable?

-Could have used about ten to fifteen more minutes of character back story.

-Why have the past three DCEU outings had villains who wear big horned helmets? (Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman, now Justice League). Looks like they're just recycling the same computer effects stock and just slapping a new face in the helmet.

-According to the credits David Thewlis once again played Ares in this but I just took it as a wink/wink cameo at the beginning that it was the same actor playing a terrorist who got taken down by Wonder Woman. Are we to believe that this villain is now just a throwaway thug?

The UGLY:

- If you take a movie to turn Wonder Woman into a great character that deserves respect, putting her in tight leather pants and going for as many butt shots as possible doesn't seem right. She's a powerful member of a powerful team, don't turn her into eye candy.

-"Boo yah" from Cyborg? Really?

-Second post credits sequence had terrible acting and Eisenberg still sucks a Lex Luthor.

-If the brief bit of acting we got from Amber Heard is indicative of what's to come in Aquaman, they need to reduce here role.
Old 11-19-17, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Caught a fairly late showing last night. I thought it was fun, but not particularly great or amazing, mostly because the plot and characters coming together felt really disjointed - whether it be Superman's resurrection (and time it takes to join the fight at the end) or the lackluster Steppenwolf, the movie plays more like the way an animated movie would have rather then a full length live action feature. It felt like it skipped a lot of more serious development in lieu of getting to the action and supplementing drama with quips and one liners, and while it results in a fun movie it loses some drama, excitement, and heart.

I think i'm in line with most people's thoughts already about the characters. Flash was a lot of fun, more then I ever expected, and I also thought the slow motion and lightning effects used to showcase his powers worked well. Superman turning to watch him fun was definitely a major highlight, and makes that end sequence so much more fun to see. Aquaman's "macho" characterization was also great and a lot of fun, which makes that lasso scene another scene stealer.

I'm disappointed that the death and return of Superman wasn't it's own separate movie arc, as it feels like it should and could have been 2 individual movies alone, so having it come together so quickly in the movie (after a rushed death in BvS) still feels unearned.

And finally, while I've enjoyed Affleck as Batman i'm still not a fan of him with all the quips and being the guy recruiting heroes for the Justice League, much the same way I wasn't a fan of Thor being such a major source of humor in Raganrok. Just didn't feel right to me. However, I do say I really loved his interaction with Wonder Woman in this movie.

I voted 3 stars because I was entertained and had fun watching it, but I still can't help this movie should have been so much more.
Old 11-19-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I disagree. And as far as saying his remake of Dawn of the Dead was shitty -- it made money and brought to the fold running zombies. Some people argue that it's 28 Days Later that started it but it was DOD remake that did. That totally changed pop culture with regards to zombies, etc.

In any event, I disagree that he's a hack. Michael Bay is hack. Hell, Joss Whedon is a hack sometimes, too.
Old 11-19-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

-According to the credits David Thewlis once again played Ares in this but I just took it as a wink/wink cameo at the beginning that it was the same actor playing a terrorist who got taken down by Wonder Woman. Are we to believe that this villain is now just a throwaway thug?
Didn't even notice Thewlis.
Old 11-19-17, 10:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

you shut your damn whore mouth about Michael Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Didn't even notice Thewlis.
Yeah, I saw his name in the credits as well. Guess he was in the mix of the army fighting Steppenwolf in that flashback. Probably just had him there while he was filming Wonder Woman so why not.
Old 11-19-17, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

It felt a bit like one of the more average DCAU movies. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but I do feel like it was a bit too rapid fire and could have been longer (maybe like a half an hour or so). Overall though I liked it far more than I expected to even though it’s far from perfect.
Old 11-19-17, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Other than comic relief I'm still trying to figure out what Aquaman did here.

Why didn't he talk with the fishies?!?! Bruce makes a big deal out of that and they didn't show it at least once? They could have had a giant shark attack Steppenwolf or something. Nada.
Old 11-19-17, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Other than comic relief I'm still trying to figure out what Aquaman did here.

Why didn't he talk with the fishies?!?! Bruce makes a big deal out of that and they didn't show it at least once? They could have had a giant shark attack Steppenwolf or something. Nada.

He did tell him. He said not directly and it was through the waves or something. That's about as far as it got. I'm sure they'll save Aquaman's full abilities for his standalone film.
Old 11-19-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

The DCEU has stumbled for me from the very beginning and has never really gotten its footing. I honestly feel like I started in the middle of a story...one which I don't really care about.

The movie wasn't as bad as BvS, but it wasn't great, either. Steppenwolf was a bad choice as the villain. I'm just not sure that DC has a long-term plan for where they're going. If their plan is to crank out mediocre movie after mediocre movie, then they're on the right track. But, I don't see myself going to see an Aquaman movie or anything based on Cyborg. Why Cyborg continues to be prevalent in things I'll never know. Outside of the Teen Titans cartoon, I've never warmed to the character.

Wonder Woman has been their best character. I question the choice to make your most popular character in Batman an old vet from the very beginning when you're supposed to be writing a universe lasting years.

Marvel has their act together and, before these movies universes started, I was firmly in the DC camp. I've been converted, at least for now.
Old 11-19-17, 12:29 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I question the choice to make your most popular character in Batman an old vet from the very beginning when you're supposed to be writing a universe lasting years.
It worked just fine for Iron Man (RDJ was in his 40's for the first flick). Between stand-ins and stunt people, it doesn't matter much, Ben (or whomever) just has to look good in the suit.
Old 11-19-17, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

For those asking about Thewlis, I read in some of the spoilers from some of the earlier cuts that Ares and Zeus were both present in flashback sequence on Themyscira, and even had dialogue originally, so that's where the credit comes from. I'm not sure if Ares is still visible at any point in the final cut.
Old 11-19-17, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
It worked just fine for Iron Man (RDJ was in his 40's for the first flick). Between stand-ins and stunt people, it doesn't matter much, Ben (or whomever) just has to look good in the suit.
Scott Adkins was Affleck's double in BVS and did a lot of the fast martial arts choreography. I don't know if he was Affleck's double for JL, though.
Old 11-19-17, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Saw it for the 3rd time today. Doing my part for the box office

The film really gets rolling for me once Superman is brought back to life.
Old 11-19-17, 03:02 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Saw it for the 3rd time today. Doing my part for the box office

The film really gets rolling for me once Superman is brought back to life.
I'll probably see it at least once more too (yay MoviePass!), but feel the movie could have been better with less Superman.
Old 11-19-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not saying I disagree, but this is a bit too much hyperbole. Sounds less like a civil critique and more like the rantings of someone who's been kicked in the balls so much by life to the point where message forums are the only real outlet for their thoughts.
Old 11-19-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Went to see it this afternoon.

The Good:

- Wonder Woman is the MVP for DC at this moment. I admit i had reservations about Gadot in the role, but she proved me wrong and damn is she a gorgeous woman.

- Superman is now back on track to the character we should have had a while back. I always liked Cavil and knew he could be great in the role. The scripts have always let him down.

- Batman. A lot of people have given Affleck a hard time, but i like him in the role and his dynamics with the team are better with him not being such a morbid grinch anymore.

The Ok:

- Aquaman and Flash. I thought they were both fine, but not the stars of the show as many make out. After seeing Quicksilver in the Xmen movies this feels like a poorer version. He was fine, and will admit the sequence with Superman turning was great.

The Bad:

- Cyborg. Shit character and didn't care about him for a second.

- Steppenwolf. I didn't hate the character, but it felt like a cookie cutter repeat we have seen too many times now. The CGI was not great either.

- Amber Heard and Amy Adams. Both felt out of place in the movie and Heard is a HORRIBLE actress. Looks alone get her by, but she is terrible. Adams is a good actress, but she is given little to work with in these movies.

- The story. It was pretty stupid and it did feel all over the place. I blame Snyder and Cherio. The sooner DC jettisons both and gets new people in, the better for the DC cinematic universe.

I still enjoyed it for what it was, and its clear Wonder Woman has created a lot of goodwill for DC, but i get a feeling this is gonna end up being like Suicide Squad which only gets worse with repeat viewings.

Oh, and i wanted to mention that this was one of only a few movies i have ever been to where the audience applauded after the screening. I was not one of those clapping, but it shows that the majority of people who go see movies simply want to be entertained and check their brain at the door.

Last edited by james2025a; 11-20-17 at 05:02 AM.
Old 11-19-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they really painted themselves in to the corner with ending BvS with the death of superman since yeah, the whole resurrection and superman not being able to really be fully advertised in the promo basically curbed their ability to get that going.
Old 11-19-17, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Given the lackluster results from this past weekend, I think WB just needs to cut their losses, get rid of Snyder (who I think considers himself done anyway), and do a soft reboot with all of the actors still in place. The movies made can still exist, but change everyone and everything in charge.
Old 11-19-17, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Given the lackluster results from this past weekend, I think WB just needs to cut their losses, get rid of Snyder (who I think considers himself done anyway), and do a soft reboot with all of the actors still in place. The movies made can still exist, but change everyone and everything in charge.
Even before JL, they already said they're mainly focusing on solo movies. And yes, Snyder is done anyway. He'll still be a credited producer on Aquaman but it's in name only (kind of like how Nolan is a producer on JL).
Old 11-19-17, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

This was a mess. A fun, entertaining mess, certainly, but holy crap this was two different movies with entire chunks jettisoned out of one and entertaining but stylistically out-of-place connective tissue making up the difference.

But holy crap... the best thing about this movie? SUPERMAN. This was the Man of Steel I've been waiting for since 1981. Cavill was great -- confident, funny, inspiring, powerful. Awesome.

I'll give it a generous 3 out of 5. This was course correction for the DCEU, and much needed, but will it be enough?
Old 11-19-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Ended up seeing this today and went in with low low expectations.

Pleasantly surprised. Film has its problems, but it gets a lot of things right. I do like how there were moments for the team to gel before the big fight. Also, I think the first 5-10 minutes did a really good job showing us where the world and characters were after BvS.

My biggest complaints, without spoilers:

1 - way too short. Film easily needed to run an extra half hour. There was contents in trailers, that were good, not shown in the film.

2 - didn’t care for the Elfman score

3 - plotting was too rushed. However to be fair, this is a complaint I had with BvS too. The films try to capitalize on comic lore, but we don’t spend enough time with characters to earn the plot points.

Some questions/issues:

Spoiler:

How did they possibly explain Clark coming back from the dead and walking around? Clearly had his reporter job back too.

Really cool seeing Green Lantern Corp!

Hated we had to see Lex again.

Generally feel like the Superman returns plot was 45 minutes crammed into 5. I’m sorry, he clearly was gone and resentful. Then all of a sudden fine? Sorry, no!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.