Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Old 02-15-19, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

10 movies and theres still only 3 that are worth a damn to me. I really don't care what happens with this franchise to be honest. Making a brand new trilogy outside of the 9 episodes has a higher chance of success than anything that has come after Return of the Jedi. There's not nearly as much that can be fucked up if there's not a vested interest in existing characters. I didn't like Last Jedi almost entirely because of the films that came before it. It was actually a fairly good movie taken at face value. It's just it besmirched almost all the characters that already existed in other films. I dunno, I'm not too worried whether or not this thing happens.
Old 02-15-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Yeah, sure. Right.

Even if these get skewered by critics and fans, you'll still see them and be back here saying "I just had to see what a trainwreck this was for myself."
Just like Solo right?
Old 02-15-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86

Which is unfortunate as Solo was actually good and likely will never get sequels.
Very true, and what bugs me is seeing the mainstream media blame Solo's BO failures on "fatigue" or even throwing it on the lead actor for not being Harrison Ford.

What IS interesting is when you compare the development/release of SOLO and TLJ. Both films were produced in and around the same time period, but TLJ employs radical changes in tone/structure while Solo's is similar to all all other SW properties. Solo's production was known to be micromanaged by Lucasfilm, after the reshoot expense of Rogue One, hence the behind the scene drama. TLJ had no such production problems we are aware of, almost as if RJ was allowed to do whatever he wanted without interference. How are you "franchise building" with two completely different products coming out within months of each other? This is Lucasfilm's fault.
Old 02-15-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Solo was bland shit.
Old 02-15-19, 10:46 PM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Which is unfortunate as Solo was actually good and likely will never get sequels.
Is that for sure? Bummer.
Old 02-15-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Solo was a very expensive box office bomb for Disney/Lucasfilm

It lost a lot of money
Old 02-16-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Well, I wouldn't say never, since Tron got a sequel decades later. But as DJariya pointed out, Solo lost Disney/Lucasfilm money, so they're not going to be in a rush to follow it up.
Old 02-16-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I've read in a few spots that it lost between $50m and $60m for the Mouse. That is negligible at best for them, so they'll probably keep an eye on the waters.

That said, I don't know how the accountants came to that number. $392m worldwide gross on a $275m budget + P&A? There had to be a lot of post-theatrical run deals happening there.
Old 02-16-19, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I've read in a few spots that it lost between $50m and $60m for the Mouse. That is negligible at best for them, so they'll probably keep an eye on the waters.

That said, I don't know how the accountants came to that number. $392m worldwide gross on a $275m budget + P&A? There had to be a lot of post-theatrical run deals happening there.
I wonder if that 275M is total for the original shoot plus the Ron Howard stuff. It sure doesn't look like a movie with a budget that high, so I'd imagine it does. With a budget like that, I don't see how it wouldn't lose money.

And that movie is dull trash anyway. No sequels please.
Old 02-16-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I wonder if that 275M is total for the original shoot plus the Ron Howard stuff. It sure doesn't look like a movie with a budget that high, so I'd imagine it does. With a budget like that, I don't see how it wouldn't lose money.

And that movie is dull trash anyway. No sequels please.
I always figured most of the $$ spend on these movies was in post, so I still don't see how the budget could be that high even with the reshoots.

But then again, Wreck It Ralph 2 doesn't look like a $175m movie either.
Old 02-16-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

I enjoyed Solo, but I would be fine if it never had a sequel. As far as a new trilogy, I find it hard to believe that someone or something didn't pop up from the Skywalker saga. Chewie's great Uncle, Lando's Grandson or something of that nature is bound to make an appearance.
Old 02-16-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

It isn’t confirmed but I highly doubt it’ll get a sequel. Maybe if we’re lucky they’ll do something on the Disney+ service but who knows.

I think a lot could be done with a sequel. The first film is an origin so to speak. You could have the next film introduce characters that he has history with that’s not seen in the films (Jabba, Boba Fett, maybe even Greedo and other bounty hunters).
Old 02-16-19, 03:03 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I enjoyed Solo, but I would be fine if it never had a sequel. As far as a new trilogy, I find it hard to believe that someone or something didn't pop up from the Skywalker saga. Chewie's great Uncle, Lando's Grandson or something of that nature is bound to make an appearance.
Solo had a sequel. It's called A New Hope.
Old 02-16-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
Solo had a sequel. It's called A New Hope.
Old 02-17-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

It isn’t confirmed but I highly doubt it’ll get a sequel.
[...]
I think a lot could be done with a sequel. The first film is an origin so to speak. You could have the next film introduce characters that he has history with that’s not seen in the films (Jabba, Boba Fett, maybe even Greedo and other bounty hunters).
Wonder if they would be open to making a Donald Glover Star wars Story: Lando film that could also feature Han and Chewie.

And then a Scoundrels film featuring Han, Lando, Chewie, Boba Fett, and maybe a new character or two to finish out a trilogy.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 02-18-19 at 11:44 AM.
Old 02-18-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Solo was a very expensive box office bomb for Disney/Lucasfilm

It lost a lot of money
Only because they wound up re-shooting most of the film. Otherwise they would have turned a profit. I've heard the movie that Howard shot came in at less than $100 million.
Old 02-18-19, 08:51 AM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Wonder if they would be open to making a Donald Glover Star wars Story: Lando film that could also feature Han and Chewie.

And then a Scoundrels film featuring Han, Lando, Chewie, Boba Fett, and maybe a new character or two to fonish out a trilogy.
I kind of like that.
Old 02-18-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

I have often wondered if Han — and Lando — knew Boba Fett before Empire Strikes Back.

I sort of like the idea that they might have worked together on a job at some point in the past, and then, in Cloud City, Boba Fett is standing there with Vader in the dining hall. It would add a lot of nuance to that scene.
Old 02-18-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I have often wondered if Han — and Lando — knew Boba Fett before Empire Strikes Back.

I sort of like the idea that they might have worked together on a job at some point in the past, and then, in Cloud City, Boba Fett is standing there with Vader in the dining hall. It would add a lot of nuance to that scene.
I always sort of assumed that Han had some off-screen history with Boba Fett. Obviously he had history with Jabba and then when he didn’t make his drop had Greedo sent after him. It also seems likely Jabba knew of Boba Fett and maybe had hired him for jobs before. I think you could easily work it in a film where they encounter each other in some way.

I think the approach of every minor character needing a film isn’t necessary. Like Boba Fett on his own doesn’t need a film in my view, but I think you could piece characters like him together with others into what would make interesting film ideas. Han, Lando, and Chewie in a film with the likes of Jabba and Boba Fett. Maybe throw in some of the other bounty hunters like IG-88 or Bossk. You could make a fun seedy underbelly/scoundrels of the Star Wars galaxy film.
Old 02-18-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk God

The butt hurt that some of these toxic Star Wars "fans" still have towards Rian Johnson 2 years later is so

I follow a movie pundit on YouTube who is a big Star Wars fan and he called out all those idiots who are still angry at Rian Johnson on his Twitter feed, and he got a lot of nasty responses to his post by those "fans" before he deleted his tweet.
Old 02-18-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

The Last Jedi being 2 years old doesn't diminish its shittyness.
Old 02-18-19, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Disliking shitty things or daring to be be critical of something that you’ve liked for years when it takes a turn for the worse automatically equates to a toxic fan in the minds of some. I’m obviously the authority on this being the resident DC hater.
Old 02-18-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

That's fine and dandy if you didn't like his movie. But, to constantly troll and abuse him on social media and then send him death threats and racial insults to his actors? That's fucking pathetic. Even 2 years later these people still exist.

It's like these "fans" took it personally when they didn't get the movie they wanted.

Those are the toxic fans, not the ones who were disappointed with or didn't like the movie.
Old 02-18-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Only because they wound up re-shooting most of the film. Otherwise they would have turned a profit. I've heard the movie that Howard shot came in at less than $100 million.
Except Howard's shoot wasn't done in a vacuum. The cast was already hired, the sets were already built, etc. It also likely doesn't factor in all the post production work. So while his "shoot" was that much, if he had been the director from the beginning, the cost still would've been higher than that.

Still, Disney/Lucasfilm may be considering the production issues the film faced when looking at how it performed and considering a sequel that (hopefully) wouldn't have a tumultuous a shoot. However, even factoring out the additional production costs, Solo didn't do great. It had a really low overall domestic gross, and did even worse worldwide. Rouge One grossed about $1 billion worldwide, Solo did about a third of that.
https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/f...rs#tab=summary

Also, the critical and audience reaction seems to collectively be, "meh." It's not generating much buzz or excitement that could help drive demand for a sequel. Austin Powers got a sequel based largely on how it did on home video, but while you may personally like Solo, it's not really generating any traction. There's also the perception that it was a bomb, so people aren't going to be primed to see the sequel, especially if they never got around to watching the first one.
Old 02-18-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's fine and dandy if you didn't like his movie. But, to constantly troll and abuse him on social media and then send him death threats and racial insults to his actors? That's fucking pathetic. Even 2 years later these people still exist.
I don't condone any of these idiots who go at anyone personally on Twitter, but you make it sound like its a large segment of the SW fanbase? There is always a tiny minority of idiots/trolls (or whatever you want to call them) on Social Media and it's best to either block or ignore. It's no different than sports fans at a game (especially football because of tailgaiting), in that there is always a few drunks who act like complete idiots, but the other 60,000 people aren't like that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.