Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Rian Johnson to Create New "Star Wars" Universe Trilogy

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Yeah, I believe Johnson has already been told his trilogy is dead in the water...
You can "believe" what you want, but there's absolutely zero evidence of this.
Old 08-20-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
You can "believe" what you want, but there's absolutely zero evidence of this.
I agree with your statement that there's zero evidence but I would be surprised (and disappointed) if Disney did let RJ take the reigns of another major SW project.

Whether you liked or hated TLJ it's impossible to ignore how totally polarizing that film has become and you're probably writing off enough customers to seriously consider making a director change.

That said, I'd still see it because I'm a SW geek for life... I'd be more inclined to see it after word of mouth rather than the day 1 viewings I have participated in so far.
Old 02-14-19, 07:07 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-14-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In case anyone can't view the twitter link, Rian Johnson confirmed he's still working on the trilogy.
Old 02-14-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

In case anyone can't view the twitter link, Rian Johnson confirmed he's still working on the trilogy.
This quite likely will be the first Star Wars project I don't watch. Unless this gets phenomenal word of mouth I cant see myself watching anything made by Rian after what he did in TLJ.
Old 02-14-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
This quite likely will be the first Star Wars project I don't watch. Unless this gets phenomenal word of mouth I cant see myself watching anything made by Rian after what he did in TLJ.
I know we’re just going in circles with this argument but I’m looking forward to seeing what Johnson can do outside the already established characters.

I’m much more interested in seeing what he can do with an original Star Wars trilogy than I would be in seeing him return to the original saga.
Old 02-14-19, 08:38 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Good, I'll be there!
Old 02-14-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Sure he is.
Old 02-14-19, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

noooooooooooooooooo
Old 02-14-19, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Truth be told as much as I didn’t like The Last Jedi I do still somewhat think he might have interesting ideas that aren’t tied to the main saga. He does come off as a bit of an ass though in relation to his interactions with fans. That tweet isn’t too harsh but does have an edge of snideness to it and he’s come across that way quite often. ​​​​​​
Old 02-14-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

^^ agreed, but in his defense, he's getting SO much shit from anonymous, faceless trolls. I didn't care for TLJ but I'll give his story a try. I find as more SW stuff comes out, I start to care less and less anyway.

If Disney sticks by his side, it's really weird with all the rumors swirling about JJ trying to "fix" all the fanboy issues with TLJ.
Old 02-14-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Truth be told as much as I didn’t like The Last Jedi I do still somewhat think he might have interesting ideas that aren’t tied to the main saga. He does come off as a bit of an ass though in relation to his interactions with fans. That tweet isn’t too harsh but does have an edge of snideness to it and he’s come across that way quite often. ​​​​​​
Considering that he has to deal with BS like the originating article claiming their lie was "according to multiple sources," a little snideness seems justified in this post. I don't follow him enough to comment on his overall posting style.

So the source of this rumor was an article on the "SuperBro Movies" site. They've taken down the article, and I can't find a copy in archive.org or Google cache, so they look to be actively scrubbing the article from the internet. They forgot about Bing cache though.
https://superbromovies.com/2019/02/1...-wars-trilogy/

RUMOR: Rian Johnson No Longer Working On ?STAR WARS? Trilogy ? SuperBroMovies

RUMOR: Rian Johnson No Longer Working On ‘STAR WARS’ Trilogy
By Jackson Hayes in NEWS, SBM Exclusives, Star Wars News on February 14, 2019
8 comments

According to multiple sources, The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson is no longer developing a Star Wars trilogy for Lucasfilm.

Before the release of Episode VIII, Lucasfilm announced that director Rian Johnson would be returning to the franchise to write a trilogy of films, the first of which he would direct. Johnson’s trilogy was set to focus on new characters and explore a corner of the galaxy never before seen in Star Wars lore.

It appears as if those films may never see the light of day as Johnson has chosen to step away from the trilogy to focus on other projects. That includes his upcoming film Knives Out, which boasts a star-studded cast that includes Chris Evans, Daniel Craig, and Ana de Armas.

Another factor that likely played into Johnson’s unfortunate departure is the backlash that he received following the release of The Last Jedi. Whether you enjoyed the film or not, Johnson dealt with a barrage of unwarranted hate, with some fans even petitioning for Episode VIII to be remade. That amount of vitriol could make it difficult for a filmmaker to want to attempt another go at a Star Wars film.

So what’s next for Star Wars? 2019 will see the release of the highly-anticipated Jon Favreau series, The Mandalorian, for Disney+. Also in the pipeline is the Rogue One spinoff series focused on Cassian Andor and a trilogy of movies from the masterminds behind Game of Thrones, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

Are you disappointed by this news? Let us know in the comments below! -Jackson Hayes and Marcos Melendez
Old 02-14-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean I will admit a lot of it is him responding to angry fanboys, but he doesn’t present himself in the best light a lot of times. He doesn’t come across as a professional really but will just attack back. I’ve read his Twitter feed (he deletes a lot of posts) and have watched various videos of him and he just seems like he doesn’t handle the backlash very well.

Last edited by Mike86; 02-14-19 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-14-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I hadn't planned on seeing his trilogy when it was announced. Then I didn't think I would have to see it because it was canceled. Now I still won't see it since it hasn't been canceled.
Old 02-14-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

As long as they don’t let him write it, limit his creative input, and keep him on a short leash, I’m fine with him directing more Star Wars movies.
Old 02-14-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

As long as they don’t let him write it, limit his creative input, and keep him on a short leash, I’m fine with him directing more Star Wars movies.
Old 02-14-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
My problem with The Last Jedi wasn't really the ideas, although some of those were a bit odd to say the least. It was that I just didn't think it was a very good movie. The script felt like a patched together first draft no one bothered to fill out or edit, plus you had Rian popping in new ideas that weren't really explained, so they felt out of place.

Originally Posted by Rob V
^^ agreed, but in his defense, he's getting SO much shit from anonymous, faceless trolls. I didn't care for TLJ but I'll give his story a try. I find as more SW stuff comes out, I start to care less and less anyway.

If Disney sticks by his side, it's really weird with all the rumors swirling about JJ trying to "fix" all the fanboy issues with TLJ.
That's kind of my feelings, as well. The more Star Wars-related stuff Disney pushes out, the less interested I am in the whole thing. Which is weird, because I was a huge Star Wars fan back in the day.

Last edited by big e; 02-14-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-14-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will still give him credit for his non-Star Wars films though. I enjoyed Brick and Looper both of which he wrote and directed.
Old 02-14-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Yeah, sure. Right.

Even if these get skewered by critics and fans, you'll still see them and be back here saying "I just had to see what a trainwreck this was for myself."
Old 02-14-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I actually think Rian Johnson was better suited for a Standalone Movie or Non-Canon Trilogy, as I like his style. I think he was the wrong guy for a Saga movie (just like I always thought Tim Burton was the wrong guy for the Batman movies), because both of their styles are just not right for a blockbuster type movie that has to appeal to everyone. I will continue to say that TLJ works for me as a Standalone movie, but doesn't work for me when I think about it as part of the Saga.

Originally Posted by lopper
Yeah, sure. Right.

Even if these get skewered by critics and fans, you'll still see them and be back here saying "I just had to see what a trainwreck this was for myself."
I used to agree with you that SW fans were robots who would see anything despite their threats. But all bets are off after Solo bombed, as it showed me that they do have the willpower to avoid a SW movie.
Old 02-14-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coli
I actually think Rian Johnson was better suited for a Standalone Movie or Non-Canon Trilogy, as I like his style. I think he was the wrong guy for a Saga movie (just like I always thought Tim Burton was the wrong guy for the Batman movies), because both of their styles are just not right for a blockbuster type movie that has to appeal to everyone. I will continue to say that TLJ works for me as a Standalone movie, but doesn't work for me when I think about it as part of the Saga.

I used to agree with you that SW fans were robots who would see anything despite their threats. But all bets are off after Solo bombed, as it showed me that they do have the willpower to avoid a SW movie.
Which is unfortunate as Solo was actually good and likely will never get sequels.
Old 02-14-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by coli
I actually think Rian Johnson was better suited for a Standalone Movie or Non-Canon Trilogy, as I like his style. I think he was the wrong guy for a Saga movie (just like I always thought Tim Burton was the wrong guy for the Batman movies), because both of their styles are just not right for a blockbuster type movie that has to appeal to everyone.
I agree with this sentiment 100%.

I've grown to absolutely love TLJ. Right now, it's my favorite SW movie. But I agree that the tone of TLJ just does not mesh with any of the SW movies before it, and there should be a certain level of consistency maintained throughout these stories, or at least through each trilogy.

But man, I fuckin love TLJ.
Old 02-14-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

love is a strong word
Old 02-14-19, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nando820
love is a strong word
Then I like like it, I guess.
Old 02-14-19, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,208 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Can he at least watch it when it’s released or does he have to wait until it hits Blu-ray?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.