Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet Sematary -- remake (2019, D: Kolsch & Widmyer) S: Lithgow, Clarke, Seimetz

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Pet Sematary -- remake (2019, D: Kolsch & Widmyer) S: Lithgow, Clarke, Seimetz

Old 02-08-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: Pet Sematary -- remake (2019, D: Kolsch & Widmyer) S: Lithgow, Clarke, Seimetz

Originally Posted by Noonan
I don't get the blowback from the change. I don't recall anyone in the GoT threads complaining that all the children were much older in the show than the books....cause we damn well can't show 13/14yo girls getting raped/killed/married...etc. People would have an issue with seeing a 3yo getting killed unless it was completely off-screen and only mentioned. I'm assuming they thought swapping to the older child was better than that option.
GoT is a bad example as they've killed multiple infants on that show, from being stabbed to fed to dogs...
Old 02-08-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts
Re: Pet Sematary -- remake (2019, D: Kolsch & Widmyer) S: Lithgow, Clarke, Seimetz

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
GoT is a bad example as they've killed multiple infants on that show, from being stabbed to fed to dogs...
Not on screen though, right? At least, I don't recall any happening on screen. My comment was more towards the side of aging them to not show young girls being raped/having sex.

I guess the question is, which would draw more emotion from an audience; a 3yo walking away and getting killed totally off screen or an on screen death of a child that's older?
Old 02-08-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Right (which undermines the "Hollywood is too scared to kill kids" argument) but there's a reason going with a more grown-up actor is better for a dramatic series like GoT. You just aren't going to get as much out of a 13-year old as you would an adult.

Of course there are great child actors out there, but it really seems like much ado over nothing.
Old 02-08-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Not on screen though, right? At least, I don't recall any happening on screen. My comment was more towards the side of aging them to not show young girls being raped/having sex.

I guess the question is, which would draw more emotion from an audience; a 3yo walking away and getting killed totally off screen or an on screen death of a child that's older?
Well in my opinion an undead toddler, with underdeveloped communication skills, is scarier than an undead kid closer to adolescence. A younger child's death also has more impact on the parents in terms of guilt, as you have to be more vigilant with them. And that guilt and anguish is the real meat of the story.
Old 02-08-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Pet Semetary is a better book than The Shining.
None of his books have scared me like The Shining. I had read it a couple times way before the movie.
Old 02-09-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Of course there are great child actors out there, but it really seems like much ado over nothing.
I agree. Of course, the proof will be in the (blood) pudding, so to speak, but I think the change could work quite nicely. I'm not a fan of the first film because reanimated Gage was so unbelievable (and then there's also the bad acting all around). The Gage doll scurrying around the house is funny to me, whereas the thought an 11-year-old flesh-and-blood actress creeping around the house makes me far more uneasy.

Besides, why does everyone want remakes to be just like the films being remade? I remember sitting in the theater, watching Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead, and hoping that, at some point, everyone would leave the house and strike out on foot, trying to get back to an area more populated with the living.

I'm all for filmmakers taking risks with remakes and sequels; otherwise, what's the point? As for Pet Sematary, nothing will ever replace and/or replicate the book in my memory, so I'm GLAD that the filmmakers are doing something somewhat different.
Old 02-09-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
None of his books have scared me like The Shining. I had read it a couple times way before the movie.
The Shining scared me pretty good (those hedge animals... egads), but no book, by any author, has scared me as much as Pet Sematary. I threw it across the room when I read the last line.
Old 02-09-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Everyone getting pissed off is fine with what Kubrick did with The Shining.
From this thread or in general? Because I've read a lot of times how Kubrick got The Shining wrong, he ruined the story, etc. It seems like there's a substantial amount of Shining critics.

Here's the article.

I agree with this and don't think it changes much about the story itself. And there hasn't been a King adaptation that hasn't made major changes to the original story. Hell, The Mist had a completely different ending and King himself loves it.
Yeah, but he also hated Kubrick's adaption of The Shining at one point. And the novella ending of The Mist is way better than the film version.

Originally Posted by Gunde
^ The story is not about physical intimidation. Not at all. That's not what makes Gage scary and the whole thing so horrible gruesome.
Exactly.
Yeah, it looked silly and stupid when you see a Chucky-like Gage killing the old man. But when Rachel finds him and he's dressed up, and saying "I brought something for you Mommy," that was creepy and disturbing. Plus the horror-violence is implied in that scene, which is more terrifying in my opinion.

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Besides, why does everyone want remakes to be just like the films being remade? I remember sitting in the theater, watching Tom Savini's 1990 remake of Night of the Living Dead, and hoping that, at some point, everyone would leave the house and strike out on foot, trying to get back to an area more populated with the living.

I'm all for filmmakers taking risks with remakes and sequels; otherwise, what's the point? As for Pet Sematary, nothing will ever replace and/or replicate the book in my memory, so I'm GLAD that the filmmakers are doing something somewhat different.
Same here.
Although this trailer gives a lot away, I'm more interested in seeing it now.
I saw the original and enjoyed it, so I'm glad the new one will be doing something a little different.

Old 02-09-19, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
From this thread or in general? Because I've read a lot of times how Kubrick got The Shining wrong, he ruined the story, etc. It seems like there's a substantial amount of Shining critics.
In general. It would've been a great film if the book never existed. Except for how Wendy was portrayed.
Old 02-09-19, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

I just finished reading Pet Sematary for the first time literally last night. I think it's King's most well written book - if someone never read before, this is the book I would tell them to start with, it's such a smooth read IMO - not his scariest but definitely has to be is darkest and most disturbing. There was some shit in this book that really bummed me out like the war veteran upon being resurrected, would just mope around town letting out everybody's darkest secrets and the torment his Father faced when trying to "make him dead again".

Page 500 of the most recent paperback edition where Gage and Jud come face to face - that was some disturbing shit King wrote and I couldn't believe what I was reading - you're not going to see that in any Pet Sematary film.....ever.

Also
Spoiler:
It looks like they are including the most important element from the novel in the new film though which is the yellow skinned, ram horned Wendigo who is responsible for how all resurrections turn out - it's also responsible for peoples actions and it even possesses people.

But I no longer have high hopes for the film after he second trailer - it once again looks like they're going to take the main horror element and turn it into camp.

The last line of the book was amazing as well - perfect ending (especially if you read it how King describes it).

We'll see, the kids walking around with masks is goofy and I think there will be a lot of extra added fluff in this flick because the book while it can be classified as horror, was mainly more of disturbing drama piece.

Last edited by Rival11; 02-14-19 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-09-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pet Semetary is a better book than The Shining. And Stanely Kubrick is most likely a better director than the makers of this film.
Pet Sematary may be the better written book but The Shining is definitely the better horror story between the two.
Old 02-09-19, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In general. It would've been a great film if the book never existed. Except for how Wendy was portrayed.
Perfectly said, before reading the book I said "No way is the book better than the film" after reading the book I was so pissed at how much they left out of the film. Kubrick's ego got in the way, King even sent him revised screenplays that he never read - Kubrick also said that King wasn't a very good writer.

And, yes - they made Wendy lame in the film.
Old 02-09-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

You think a 3-year old actor is as capable as an 8-year old actor? I sure don’t.
That’s not what they said. They didn’t say “we could do more and get a better performance.” That could be what they meant, and I could see that.
Old 02-10-19, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I must read The Shining then if you guys are saying the movie is great, but the book is still better. And yeah, I didn't like Shelley Duvall either. In fact, both her and Nicholson look crazy before even getting to the hotel.
Pet Sematary is also on my buy-list.
Old 02-11-19, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Bullshit. They pussied out because people would throw a fit if you show a toddler killed on screen now days. Pretty weak if you ask me.
You mean like in A Quiet Place?
Old 02-14-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

They played the new trailer in front of Happy Death Day 2U. Well, they pretty much give it all away, so be warned.
Old 02-14-19, 11:18 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Yea, the first trailer was really effective. The second just shows too much and ruins it.
Old 02-14-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea, the first trailer was really effective. The second just shows too much and ruins it.
If the
Spoiler:
Wendigo is in it (which it looks like it is)
then not everything is ruined.......yet.
Old 03-17-19, 09:20 AM

Old 03-21-19, 05:29 AM

MPAA has administered the new film an R rating due to "disturbing and violent content, bloody images, sexual material, graphic nudity, and language."
Old 03-21-19, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope the graphic nudity isn't Lithgow.
Old 03-21-19, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I hope the graphic nudity isn't Lithgow.
It’ll be the wife’s deformed sister. It won’t be my proudest fap.
Old 03-21-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Finished reading the book yesterday. I have never seen the 1989 movie all the way through and doubt I will as what I saw was disturbing. Not due to the content, but the mostly god awful acting. I will be giving this a chance, and I read the book already aware of the changes they would make. While I won't deny it was scary, and probably scared me more than anything else written by King (going to try Shining next) , I've read scarier stuff by Lovecraft and Barker.

That said, I am okay with the changes they are making.
Spoiler:
In the book Ellie is the one who is close to Church and is frightened of death. IMO, having her be the one who dies and comes back adds something new and makes it all the more tragic for her character. Kind of like Quint dying the way he did in the Jaws movie as opposed to just drowning as he did in the book. I too hope that we get some Wendigo action. They have a drawing of him in the trailer, so I hope we see him for real. They don't even have to show him outright, just have a creature outline in the background with a brief shot of yellow eyes.

I've also read that Jete Laurence gives a performance on the level of Linda Blair in the original Exorcist, so that also has my interest.
Old 03-21-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Early podcast buzz is very positive on this ... I’ve been hearing that the changes work because the second half of the film does not follow the book (for the better). I may end up eating crow and seeing this ...
Old 03-31-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Any updates on this aside from "it's getting good reviews on the screening circuits"?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.