Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Call Me By Your Name (2017, D: Guadagnino) S: Armie Hammer, Timothée Chalamet

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 10-30-17, 08:34 AM

A sensual and transcendent tale of first love, based on the acclaimed novel by André Aciman. It's the summer of 1983 in the north of Italy, and Elio Perlman (Timothée Chalamet), a precocious 17- year-old American-Italian boy, spends his days in his family's 17th century villa transcribing and playing classical music, reading, and flirting with his friend Marzia (Esther Garrel). Elio enjoys a close relationship with his father (Michael Stuhlbarg), an eminent professor specializing in Greco-Roman culture, and his mother Annella (Amira Casar), a translator, who favor him with the fruits of high culture in a setting that overflows with natural delights. While Elio's sophistication and intellectual gifts suggest he is already a fully-fledged adult, there is much that yet remains innocent and unformed about him, particularly about matters of the heart. One day, Oliver (Armie Hammer), a charming American scholar working on his doctorate, arrives as the annual summer intern tasked with helping Elio's father. Amid the sun-drenched splendor of the setting, Elio and Oliver discover the heady beauty of awakening desire over the course of a summer that will alter their lives forever.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5726616/
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/call_me_by_your_name
Old 11-20-17, 10:00 AM

Re: Call Me By Your Name (2017, D: Guadagnino) S: Armie Hammer, Timothée Chalamet

This opens in NY and LA this week. Currently 98% on RT and supposedly a big Oscar contender.
Old 11-20-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Call Me By Your Name (2017, D: Guadagnino) S: Armie Hammer, Timothée Chalamet

I saw the director's movie I Am Love. It's almost entirely in Italian, with very British Tilda Swinton speaking in flawless Italian with a Russian accent. It is pure Art House Cinema, and I liked it. This one looks interesting too. I read an interview with Armie Hammer, where he described the production as the greatest experience of his life. He even did the audiobook just so he could immerse himself into that world.
Old 12-15-17, 08:18 AM

It looks like it is playing at one theatre near me this weekend. I will try and check it out Saturday.
Old 12-25-17, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got to see this today, and it is astonishingly beautiful. Incredible chemistry between the two leads, fantastic Oscar-caliber acting by everyone, and amazing direction and cinematography. It's one of those real gems that will linger with you for a long time after the movie ends.
Old 12-25-17, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Defiant1 View Post
I saw the director's movie I Am Love. It's almost entirely in Italian, with very British Tilda Swinton speaking in flawless Italian with a Russian accent. It is pure Art House Cinema, and I liked it. This one looks interesting too. I read an interview with Armie Hammer, where he described the production as the greatest experience of his life. He even did the audiobook just so he could immerse himself into that world.
"I Am Love" is an amazing film. Just as you said, pure Art House. His follow-up "A Bigger Splash" was also great. I saw "Call Me By Your Name" the other night and it has the same tone as these two movies. Very European with exceptional performances and writing.
Old 01-20-18, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think beautiful is definitely the right word to describe this film.

But man, he was lucky he had really understanding parents. There's no way I'd let my 17-year old son go off with a 24-year old man.

Last edited by TheBang; 01-20-18 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-02-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was pretty good and I am straight.

Don't forget the work Michael Stuhlbarg did.

Spoiler:
Did the dad film them making love?
Old 04-02-18, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, only 7 posts for this film. Bummer. It's a phenomenal movie.
Old 04-03-18, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven’t posted but I saw it a few months back. Great movie.
Old 04-03-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Esther Garrel a true beauty

Old 04-03-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes View Post
Man, only 7 posts for this film. Bummer. It's a phenomenal movie.
It is not a comic book movie so nobody cares
Old 04-03-18, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was a well done film, but like many of the films that have gotten huge praise this year, I wasn't as amazed by it as others were.

The biggest problem I had was that I didn't feel like Oliver and Elio had a big connection, it seemed mostly physical. I think the film didn't show the friendship develop as much as it should have. Had it done that, then the ending would've felt more believable and emotional to me.

I still give this a solid 7.5/10.

Last edited by Coral; 04-03-18 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-03-18, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
I thought this was a well done film, but like many of the films that have gotten huge praise this year , I wasn't as amazed by it as others were.

The biggest problem I has was that I didn't feel like Oliver and Elio had a big connection, it seemed mostly physical. I think the film didn't show the friendship develop as much as it should have. Had it done that, then the ending would've felt more believable and emotional to me.

I still give this a solid 7.5/10.
I agree with this. The movie was beautiful to look at. Great lush looking locations. But I didn't feel any real connection between them.

Guadagnino has been talking about doing a sequel. I would've made a thread, but there was barely any interest in this one . I will wait until it is official.

I'm still somewhat interested in his Suspiria film.
Old 04-03-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The shot at the end where he stares into the fireplace during the closing credits was unusual and maybe could have been shortened.
Old 04-04-18, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought it was good but the difference between the ages made me a little uncomfortable. I realize that's one of the points of the movie, though, a coming of age for the kid.
Old 04-04-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Surprised nobody brought that up since it borders on pedophilia.
Old 04-04-18, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think it was mentioned in one of the Oscar threads that he was of legal age in that country, even though the larger the disparity the higher the consent age. Still made me uncomfortable, though.
Old 04-05-18, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

homophobes.
Old 04-05-18, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not a big love-centric movie kinda guy, regardless of the participants.